Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New Companions - Update 44

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    I'm just upset its behind the crown store. The DLC gets further stripped of its value.

What do you mean? I don’t think there is going to be a fourth quarter DLC, is there? The battleground updates are base game.

By DLC, I think they’re referring erroneously to Gold Road, which is still a “chapter” at this point. But yeah, the new companions will be locked behind the Crown Store and ESO+, and won’t be free for those of us who purchased the chapter. That’s the only thing I’m miffed about. I’ve wanted a non-annoying Khajiit companion for a while now… ah well, it’s mainly just cosmetic anyway.

Oh, if so, I mean, the companions already weren’t coming with the chapter, so being in the Crown store or not really has nothing to do with that. Personally, if some of the content needed to be moved to the 4th quarter for development, player engagement, or both, I’d rather it be the companions rather than making the chapter only half of a story as was done in previous years (2019-2022).

I think the issue boils down to in previous years the companions came with the chapter, now it’s an extra cost.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just upset its behind the crown store. The DLC gets further stripped of its value.

What do you mean? I don’t think there is going to be a fourth quarter DLC, is there? The battleground updates are base game.

Not sure if you didn't understand what I meant or youre just being sarcastic.

Not being sarcastic but maybe confused? When ZOS stopped releasing a 4th quarter DLC, many said this decreased the value of ESO+. As far as I understand (didn’t catch the whole stream), this year part will be base game and part will ESO+ (but purchasable for everyone, rather like DLC), so it seems a good deal, unless I’ve missed something?

Companions were previously released with chapters. These new companions will not be free for those who own Gold Road (the chapter) — you have to buy the companions separately with Crowns, or with ESO+. People were expecting the new companions to be free for those who purchased Gold Road, as we really should have had them on release based on previous precedent.

Less confusing now?
  • RaikaNA
    RaikaNA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe they locked then erased the topic where people were criticizing the way ZOS define its game priority.

Nobody was asking for a non-binary character. But many people were asking for new PvP content (what we finally got after seven years), more housing items, more ambitious content, new fresh events. And you give us this...

After having spent around 5.000€ in your game since 2016, be sure I won't invest a single cent anymore. Not because I'm pissed that you added a non-binary character, but because you don't seem to hear what the game community is telling you. You simply don't deserve it.

Moderate my message if you want. It won't make people stop leaving ESO.

They gave you PVP content, did you watch the stream? And having a ENBY character is VERY important. Representation matters, i'm extremely happy ZOS has done this, and i do hope they do it justice; just like they did with Alchemy for trans woman.

Political views should never be introduced into video games. It should stay outta it.
  • JiubLeRepenti
    JiubLeRepenti
    ✭✭✭✭
    RaikaNA wrote: »
    I can't believe they locked then erased the topic where people were criticizing the way ZOS define its game priority.

Nobody was asking for a non-binary character. But many people were asking for new PvP content (what we finally got after seven years), more housing items, more ambitious content, new fresh events. And you give us this...

After having spent around 5.000€ in your game since 2016, be sure I won't invest a single cent anymore. Not because I'm pissed that you added a non-binary character, but because you don't seem to hear what the game community is telling you. You simply don't deserve it.

They gave you PVP content, did you watch the stream? And having a ENBY character is VERY important. Representation matters, i'm extremely happy ZOS has done this, and i do hope they do it justice; just like they did with Alchemy for trans woman.

Political views should never be introduced into video games. It should stay outta it.

Mostly when so many people are leaving the game.

We need more, better and ambitious content in order to make people stay or come back on ESO.

This won't help at all.
    BE/FR l PC EU l CP2400
    Just fell in love with housing! House vid: TES III Morrowind biggest fan!
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (snip)... Everyone is just gonna call them 'she'

(edited post)
    Edited by ZOS_Kraken on September 10, 2024 10:19PM
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭

Trans people aren't "political" for literally just existing.
  • hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭

LGBTQ characters and stories have been part of ESO since the start. Anyone who finds that offensive has plenty of other gaming choices.

New characters in the companion system are expected annually. PvP lost nothing because one of this year's companions is non-binary. Period, end of story.

I get that not everyone is thrilled about what they chose to add to PvP in U44. Feedback on that is fair. Blaming it on an LGBTQ NPC in a game that's had this sort of content forever is not.
    @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • RMW
    RMW
    ✭✭✭✭

So you say they should not add PvP content as the three banner war is a political conflict? Then you should be happy about the update. I mean I was hoping for some Cyro news, maybe some new rewards etc, but you do you.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Tanlorin looks pretty cool to me. I will reserve judgement on them until I see their story though.

And, in my case, I hear their voice.
  • JonnAndCo
    JonnAndCo
    ✭✭✭
    I also wish we could create our own companion some day. I have yet to find one that meshes with my characters. For example, I could enjoy Mirri's treasure hunting theme, but I spend a lot of time harvesting, so every time she chides me for collecting a butterfly, I feel obligated to choose a different companion. I give up on finding one I like, or who likes me.
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone get a screenshot of the new companions?

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2320+
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This game has themes of war, diplomacy, political intrigue, espionage, and slavery. All of those are entirely political. Someone being trans (or non binary in the new companions case) is not.
    Edited by Cazador on September 10, 2024 9:29PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is this a “political” view? It’s merely a non-binary character. The game has straight characters, gay characters, characters of different ethnic backgrounds, etc. They’re just characters. If a non-binary companion truly ruffles anyone’s feathers, they have the option of not purchasing it.
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hiyde wrote: »

LGBTQ characters and stories have been part of ESO since the start. Anyone who finds that offensive has plenty of other gaming choices.

New characters in the companion system are expected annually. PvP lost nothing because one of this year's companions is non-binary. Period, end of story.

I get that not everyone is thrilled about what they chose to add to PvP in U44. Feedback on that is fair. Blaming it on an LGBTQ NPC in a game that's had this sort of content forever is not.

Typical cheap implementation of gender politics by US companies. The character is already bland and boring because they chose to advertise excatly that he is non-binary. Its pathetic really. They should hire proper writer who know how to implement characters like these. Take Vivec for example.
    also known as Overlich.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They didn't show in-game footage, just a couple of art stills.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Not sure if you didn't understand what I meant or youre just being sarcastic.

Not being sarcastic but maybe confused? When ZOS stopped releasing a 4th quarter DLC, many said this decreased the value of ESO+. As far as I understand (didn’t catch the whole stream), this year part will be base game and part will ESO+ (but purchasable for everyone, rather like DLC), so it seems a good deal, unless I’ve missed something?

Companions were previously released with chapters. These new companions will not be free for those who own Gold Road (the chapter) — you have to buy the companions separately with Crowns, or with ESO+. People were expecting the new companions to be free for those who purchased Gold Road, as we really should have had them on release based on previous precedent.

Less confusing now?

Yes, but like I said, I’d rather have a whole story with the chapter and the companions separate than how it was before with the story split in two (with the second half an additional cost if one was not ESO+).

Honestly, I thought from original post that I replied to that they thought there was going to be a DLC and companions that were ESO+ / Crown store only. I was not intending to be sarcastic or insulting.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 10, 2024 9:37PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    coop500 wrote: »
    I think it'd help if they didn't give them such prominent boobs... Everyone is just gonna call them 'she'

That’s probably a real problem for some gender non-conforming people. How one looks is not the basis of gender.
  • coop500
    coop500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JonnAndCo wrote: »
    I also wish we could create our own companion some day. I have yet to find one that meshes with my characters. For example, I could enjoy Mirri's treasure hunting theme, but I spend a lot of time harvesting, so every time she chides me for collecting a butterfly, I feel obligated to choose a different companion. I give up on finding one I like, or who likes me.

Yeah that sucks. I'd moreso love a companion that didn't punish normal game activity.
    Wishing for Lilmothiit race still! Or maybe Lilmothiit companion?
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

xnylagvamblt.png

y7xnyzfgdb3h.png

• Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

that's what i said in chat stream, but it got me banned.

so much for tolerance.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Greetings,

We've locked this thread to prevent any further spiraling and due to its non-constructive nature. While we completely understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts, feelings and even frustrations, we want the forums to be a civil and constructive platform for the game and it's community as a whole.

Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.