Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

New Companions - Update 44

Lady_Titania
Lady_Titania
✭✭✭
I have been waiting forever for the new companions to come out and with the announcement just made... I AM SO F ING LIVID!!!!!!!!!

The altmer companion is complete GARBAGE. I had to turn off the stream. I literally just wanted a SEXY MALE HIGH ELF, but no, we get GARBAGE.

As a long time player, 6+ year, ESO+ active. I feel this is a slap to my F ing face.

Thanks ZOS.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on September 10, 2024 9:43PM
  • M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭
    Could please you elaborate as to why they are garbage? We really don't know very much about them yet at all, I'm surprised you could already make that judgement.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    M1SHAAN wrote: »
    Could please you elaborate as to why they are garbage? We really don't know very much about them yet at all, I'm surprised you could already make that judgement.

they're a nonbinary altmer dragonknight named Tanlorin.
    they also have soul magic and a lockpicking bonus.

i love them.

pretty safe assumption that "garbage" is due to Tanlorin's gender. the majority of the twitch chat also didn't like that sadly
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • amig186
    amig186
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lol'd. Half of the community wanted a male altmer, the other half wanted a female one. So they made one that is neither, pleasing nobody.

As for the other companion, there are 3 races that haven't been made companions yet, nords, orks, bosmer. So the obvious choice is to make another khajiit, and fans of those races can get stuffed.
    PC EU
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanlorin looks pretty cool to me. I will reserve judgement on them until I see their story though.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    amig186 wrote: »
    As for the other companion, there are 3 races that haven't been made companions yet, nords, orks, bosmer. So the obvious choice is to make another khajiit, and fans of those races can get stuffed.

That's what disappointed me. Why two khajits when we still don't have nord, orc, or bosmer?

• IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm hyped for Zerith, he looks so cool
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't female physique with blue asymmetrical hair the absolute nonbinary cliché?
    What's next? The gay Bosmer complete with rainbow-jewelry, makeup and a lisp?
    (Before someone calls me a bigot: I am a gay man and I'd be truly not happy if they turn gay characters into caricatures. This is what concerns me about it).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they want to continue with the "fleshed out character" companions it would be nice to have more customizability regarding their looks and their abilities. I still don't feel that there is one that fits for my main.
    I'd also be happy with a silent, fully customizable follower. You can make up your own lore for that one.

• DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myself personally, I really don't prioritize Race or Class on whether I like the companions.

Instead, I look at 2 simple aspects.
    • Perks
      • The Lockpicking perk is awesome. Especially given the amount of players often requesting more time to pick locks. I personally just force locks anymore, but I will welcome a reduction in failed attempts.
      • Keen Eye for Heavysacks? Heck yeah! I'm gonna love that one.
    • Storyline
      • If the storyline is fun, then I approve. I loved Sharp's storyline. I'm hoping the next two are even half as good.

Of the whole Livestream today, the Companions section left me the most pleased. But then, I'm not much into PvP.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on September 10, 2024 8:24PM
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just upset its behind the crown store. The DLC gets further stripped of its value.
    Context is for kings -Captain Gabriel Lorca
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    amig186 wrote: »

That's what disappointed me. Why two khajits when we still don't have nord, orc, or bosmer?

agreed, would rather they go with races that aint companions yet rather then reuse khajiit
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions can’t be made to any one person’s desire. I’ve often posted that I’d love to have a sexy male Altmer companion too, but it’s the companions’ stories and personalities that matter most! I’m looking forward to meeting both of the new companions! :)
    Edited by Araneae6537 on September 10, 2024 9:26PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchyKiki wrote: »
    I'm just upset its behind the crown store. The DLC gets further stripped of its value.

What do you mean? I don’t think there is going to be a fourth quarter DLC, is there? The battleground updates are base game.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What do you mean? I don’t think there is going to be a fourth quarter DLC, is there? The battleground updates are base game.

Not sure if you didn't understand what I meant or youre just being sarcastic.
    Edited by WitchyKiki on September 10, 2024 8:38PM
  • Hvíthákarl
    Hvíthákarl
    ✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    Isn't female physique with blue asymmetrical hair the absolute nonbinary cliché?
    As a non-binary person myself: This altmer ain't as physically cliche-y as most non-binary mainstream characters, even if they share some traits. And even then, there's still many non-binary folks that look like that.
    That said, I'm still waiting for a AAA game to introduce a bearded, big bodied, masc leaning non-binary character, since there is where most corpos draw the line bc they can't fathom a masculine looking person not being a man.
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agreed, would rather they go with races that aint companions yet rather then reuse khajiit

Khajiit makes the money, just look at Pacrooti.

• Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By DLC, I think they’re referring erroneously to Gold Road, which is still a “chapter” at this point. But yeah, the new companions will be locked behind the Crown Store and ESO+, and won’t be free for those of us who purchased the chapter. That’s the only thing I’m miffed about. I’ve wanted a non-annoying Khajiit companion for a while now… ah well, it’s mainly just cosmetic anyway.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

By DLC, I think they’re referring erroneously to Gold Road, which is still a “chapter” at this point. But yeah, the new companions will be locked behind the Crown Store and ESO+, and won’t be free for those of us who purchased the chapter. That’s the only thing I’m miffed about. I’ve wanted a non-annoying Khajiit companion for a while now… ah well, it’s mainly just cosmetic anyway.

Why are people so peeved by me referring to Goldroad as dlc? Chapter, DLC. who cares, its still content I purchased on top of the base game. Should focus on the fact that the DLC/CHAPTER/Whatever has less and less to offer.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are people so peeved by me referring to Goldroad as dlc? Chapter, DLC. who cares, its still content I purchased on top of the base game. Should focus on the fact that the DLC/CHAPTER/Whatever has less and less to offer.

I’m not peeved? Just helping to clarify things for Araneae.
  • M1SHAAN
    M1SHAAN
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    pretty safe assumption that "garbage" is due to Tanlorin's gender. the majority of the twitch chat also didn't like that sadly
    I hope you're not correct about that. I happen to also be non-binary, and I dislike the implication that people like me are "garbage". But hey, maybe they just hate the color purple or something, that'd be fine. @Lady_Titania could you please clarify what it is you dislike about this new companion?
    whitecrow wrote: »
    She looks female to me.
    The neat thing is, gender identity, gender presentation, and preferred pronouns are all different things that often but not always correlate with each other. So, enbies often present androgynously and use they/them pronouns, but not always. If someone's gender presentation differs significantly from the stereotypes/expectations for their gender identity, they are called "gender non-conforming". When people think of gender non-conforming people they generally think of cis people, e.g. cis female tomboys, but trans people can be gender non-conforming too. This new companion has some more feminine elements to their gender presentation, possibly due to ESO having two limited body types to choose from, but that doesn't affect their gender identity or pronouns.
  • WitchyKiki
    WitchyKiki
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not peeved? Just helping to clarify things for Araneae.

Well, thank you.
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve wanted a non-annoying Khajiit companion for a while now… ah well, it’s mainly just cosmetic anyway.
    Oddly, Ember is one Khajit that I find less annoying than all the Khajit NPC's throughout the game. While her insecurity can irk me, I do like that her vernacular isn't the tired ESO version of " Yoda Peak" that all the others are wont to use. :smiley:

Razum Dar I can take in limited doses.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if you didn't understand what I meant or youre just being sarcastic.

Not being sarcastic but maybe confused? When ZOS stopped releasing a 4th quarter DLC, many said this decreased the value of ESO+. As far as I understand (didn’t catch the whole stream), this year part will be base game and part will ESO+ (but purchasable for everyone, rather like DLC), so it seems a good deal, unless I’ve missed something?
  • Hamish999
    Hamish999
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Chapter = once a year release, big story driven content, sometimes includes new features (jewellery crafting, warden class etc) purchased and not available with ESO+ until the next chapter in a years time.

DLC = available with ESO+ at launch or for purchase, usually just 2 dungeons and/or a small zone, 1 to 3 times a year (once yearly currently).
    Edited by Hamish999 on September 10, 2024 8:57PM
    PC-EU
    Do'Zahra - Khajiit - StamDK - AD
    Narese Telvanni - Dunmer - Petsorc - EP
    Anastasie Chastain - Breton - Magplar - DC
    Gashnakh the Lusty - Orc - Stamsorc - AD
    Stands-In-Stoopid - Argonian - Warden Tank - AD
    Talia al-Morwha - Redguard - Stamden - AD
    Makes-Fier-Wrong - Argonian - Stamblade - AD
    Busty-Argonian-Maid - Argonian - Templar Healer - AD
    Alaru Telvanni - Dunmer - Stamplar - AD
    Ko'Raehsi - Khajiit - Magsorc - AD
    Torhild Rock-Chucker - Nord - StamDK - AD
    Drusilla Larouche - Breton - MagDK - AD
    Ko'Khanni - Khajiit - Magden - AD
    Ilithyia Ectorius - Imperial - DK Tank -AD
    Rosara Laumont - Breton - Warden Healer - AD
    Do'Darri - Khajiit - Stam Arcanist - AD

Keyboard and mouse FTW!
  • AllenaNightWood
    AllenaNightWood
    ✭✭✭
    im really Dissapointed there wasnt a wood elf companion
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe they locked then erased the topic where people were criticizing the way ZOS define its game priority.

Nobody was asking for a non-binary character. But many people were asking for new PvP content (what we finally got after seven years), more housing items, more ambitious content, new fresh events. And you give us this...

After having spent around 5.000€ in your game since 2016, be sure I won't invest a single cent anymore. Not because I'm pissed that you added a non-binary character, but because you don't seem to hear what the game community is telling you. You simply don't deserve it.

Moderate my message if you want. It won't make people stop leaving ESO.

They gave you PVP content, did you watch the stream? And having a ENBY character is VERY important. Representation matters, i'm extremely happy ZOS has done this, and i do hope they do it justice; just like they did with Alchemy for trans woman.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, if so, I mean, the companions already weren’t coming with the chapter, so being in the Crown store or not really has nothing to do with that. Personally, if some of the content needed to be moved to the 4th quarter for development, player engagement, or both, I’d rather it be the companions rather than making the chapter only half of a story as was done in previous years (2019-2022).
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    M1SHAAN wrote: »
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    I hope you're not correct about that. I happen to also be non-binary, and I dislike the implication that people like me are "garbage". But hey, maybe they just hate the color purple or something, that'd be fine. @Lady_Titania could you please clarify what it is you dislike about this new companion?
    whitecrow wrote: »
    She looks female to me.
    The neat thing is, gender identity, gender presentation, and preferred pronouns are all different things that often but not always correlate with each other. So, enbies often present androgynously and use they/them pronouns, but not always. If someone's gender presentation differs significantly from the stereotypes/expectations for their gender identity, they are called "gender non-conforming". When people think of gender non-conforming people they generally think of cis people, e.g. cis female tomboys, but trans people can be gender non-conforming too. This new companion has some more feminine elements to their gender presentation, possibly due to ESO having two limited body types to choose from, but that doesn't affect their gender identity or pronouns.

Beautifully said.
  • JiubLeRepenti
    JiubLeRepenti
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe they locked then erased the topic where people were criticizing the way ZOS define its game priority.

Nobody was asking for a non-binary character. But many people were asking for new PvP content (what we finally got after seven years), more housing items, more ambitious content, new fresh events. And you give us this...

After having spent around 5.000€ in your game since 2016, be sure I won't invest a single cent anymore. Not because I'm pissed that you added a non-binary character, but because you don't seem to hear what the game community is telling you. You simply don't deserve it.

Moderate my message if you want. It won't make people stop leaving ESO.

They gave you PVP content, did you watch the stream? And having a ENBY character is VERY important. Representation matters, i'm extremely happy ZOS has done this, and i do hope they do it justice; just like they did with Alchemy for trans woman.

This is why I said :

And it may be important for you, but not for me. And regarding the way the chat reacted it seems I'm not the only one to feel that way. And don't get me wrong, This has nothing to do with any personal feeling about non-binary ppl. I'm just saying the game has far more urgent things to do than investing time and money in its DEI policy. Many people here keep having their eyes wide shut while the game is litterally emptying.

Just check the Steam stats. People are leaving the game because ZOS hasn't brought anything interesting for a very long time. A non-binary character is not what will make them come back.
    Edited by JiubLeRepenti on September 10, 2024 9:18PM
    BE/FR l PC EU l CP2400
    Just fell in love with housing! House vid: TES III Morrowind biggest fan!
  • Bo0137
    Bo0137
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will trust in the writers' storytelling quality until I can form my thoughts.
    -On my shoulder, Ms. Ahvine
This discussion has been closed.