Maintenance for the week of August 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – August 26

Polymorphs for pets and companions

Uazole2
Uazole2
I believe that polymorphs provide visual excitement to the game. I like seeing different versions running around. I suggest that having polymorphs that are specifically for our pets and companions would be another fun visual. I want my sorcerer to have a battle wisp flying around, with a small mechanical centurion doing a ground attack, and my Isobel should look like Almalexia.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice. As I mentioned in another thread this week, anything that reduces the companion clone effect is good.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • KnightofGears
    KnightofGears
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. Necromancers could finally have a permanent undead minion, or sorcs another summoned daedra. And yeah, no more (or at least less often) wondering which Bastian is mine in busy areas. Hopefully ZOS will make this possible at some point.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uazole2 wrote: »
    I believe that polymorphs provide visual excitement to the game. I like seeing different versions running around. I suggest that having polymorphs that are specifically for our pets and companions would be another fun visual. I want my sorcerer to have a battle wisp flying around, with a small mechanical centurion doing a ground attack, and my Isobel should look like Almalexia.

While an interesting idea, here's what certain Companions have to say when you equip certain Polymorphs on yourself:

Isobel Veloise:
    1fuypayzjnpx.png

Ember:
    pt6wclhuczx9.png

Sharp-as-Night:
    jau2wm81svpb.png

Note what Sharp-as-Night says in particular about the Skeleton polymorph — "if we could both do that" — implying that Companions cannot and aren't meant to have the ability to use Polymorphs.

Further, what would you suppose Companions such as these would say if they were forced into the Polymorphs they hate by the player? Clearly Ember would not be okay with the Werewolf Lord polymorph, nor would Isobel Veloise be okay with the Xivkyn Tormentor polymorph — and yet players would put them into these Polymorphs anyway, perhaps to spite them. It's not too much different from putting those Companions into an outfit reminiscent of what they hate, but perhaps Polymorphs are just a step too far.
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • Uazole2
    Uazole2
    @Erickson9610 Thanks for the info on companion statements, when your toon uses a polymorph, I did not know that. As for the companions not liking the polymorph...I am not interested in seeing the character polymorphs being used for them.
    I am suggesting that new polymorphs be developed that are specific to the companions and pets. I suggest unique appearances that only they can use. What warden wouldn't want their bear to be a dragon instead, or a sorcerer having a flying eyeball pet. Companions and pets are pretty boring right now, they all look the same. Having some variety would be nice.
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭

While an interesting idea, here's what certain Companions have to say when you equip certain Polymorphs on yourself:

Isobel Veloise:
    1fuypayzjnpx.png

Ember:
    pt6wclhuczx9.png

Sharp-as-Night:
    jau2wm81svpb.png

Note what Sharp-as-Night says in particular about the Skeleton polymorph — "if we could both do that" — implying that Companions cannot and aren't meant to have the ability to use Polymorphs.

Further, what would you suppose Companions such as these would say if they were forced into the Polymorphs they hate by the player? Clearly Ember would not be okay with the Werewolf Lord polymorph, nor would Isobel Veloise be okay with the Xivkyn Tormentor polymorph — and yet players would put them into these Polymorphs anyway, perhaps to spite them. It's not too much different from putting those Companions into an outfit reminiscent of what they hate, but perhaps Polymorphs are just a step too far.

At the end of the day, the companions are just pixels, so, to me at least, I would far prefer more customization options.

If it is truly *that* big of a deal, they could give negative rapport (to various degrees) for the player equipping them to certain polymorphs and perhaps even continual smaller negative rapport as long as the player has them in that polymorph.

I just would like to be able to customize the companions to at least some extent. Change hair styles (perhaps even color), facial hair, etc.. While polymorphs wouldn't be my first choice, it would at least be something to help the companions stand out from each other.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fine with pet polymorphs, but morphing companions to random other npcs, especially well-known ones from TES lore or main stories? Isn't the current carnival with three Molag Bals at every wayshrine enough?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the things ZOS needs to be focusing on in ESO, this should be about number 10,000 on the honey do list.