Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Launcher Update - Unable to load skin

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @bellanca6561n

We are glad to hear back that some of the troubleshooting posted has resolved this launcher error for you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Shadows_Blade
    Shadows_Blade
    ✭✭
    I mentioned to tech support that I was sometimes able to get in to the game by clicking on PLAY over and over again and they said that they were happy to hear that I had resolved the issue then closed my ticket. What the hell is wrong with these people? Nothing is resolved and I cannot get in at all now.
  • Shadows_Blade
    Shadows_Blade
    ✭✭
    Those surveys expire before you can gather enough data to take a survey. I guess they only want to hear from people who benefitted from a quick fix and not from the ones who are still suffering.
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kraken wrote: »
    @Schattenspiel I have sent you a forums message about your ticket.

Question Reference # 240728-004065 is the new, properly categorized, ticket. XD
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    ZOS_Phoenix
    admin
    @Schattenspiel

I have contacted you via PM regarding your ticket.
    Staff Post
  • f15hb0wn
    f15hb0wn
    ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue. I also have a gen 13 Intel processor (i9-13900k) and dual NVIDIA RTX 4090's. Turning off Speedstep and Speedshift in BIOS didn't work for me. I was getting the error about 25% a few weeks ago and now it's closer to 90% of launch. I fully uninstalled Steam, ESO, killed ProgramData and AppData in every combination. The RNG that allows launch does seem to be improved if I run Intel Processor Diag Tool (as Durnik suggested.)

Also note that when I did a non-Steam/Windows installer, the error pops up on the installer preventing a full install.

I do have an open ticket (240731-004627) as of this morning and have uploaded all my diag files. I just wanted to include my experience to help others hitting the same wall.
    Edited by f15hb0wn on August 1, 2024 11:26PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @f15hb0wn

I've sent you a forum PM with an update on your current ticket.
    Staff Post
  • f15hb0wn
    f15hb0wn
    ✭✭
    FYI, Uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHP) in Windows Features fixed the issue for me.

Update: The error returned after a reboot. Opening another ticket now.
    Edited by f15hb0wn on August 4, 2024 2:45AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @f15hb0wn

You are welcome to share your new ticket number here.
    Staff Post
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    Disabling Speedstep and Speedshift works for me as a temporary workaround to start the launcher. When can we expect a launcher update to fix the problem so we don't have to cripple our machines to make the game work?
  • f15hb0wn
    f15hb0wn
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @f15hb0wn

The ticket number is 240803-004885. As an update, MSI published a bios update including Intels patch for microcode issue on 8/2. I applied that last night and things aren't much better. Disabling the Speedstep/shift feature doesn't fix it on my MSI Godlike motherboard with Gen 13 intel processor. Also did Intel Diag and stress tests on the CPU, they all passed.

No idea why any of that affects the launcher skin with no impact to the actual game or system stability. I play plenty of games on this rig with no issues except this game launcher (not a problem with the game, just the launcher.)

Nothing ruins a gaming session more than spending 10 minutes trying to get the launcher to launch.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @f15hb0wn

Thanks for your ticket number. I've sent you a forum PM with an update.
    Staff Post
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    f15hb0wn wrote: »
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @f15hb0wn

The ticket number is 240803-004885. As an update, MSI published a bios update including Intels patch for microcode issue on 8/2. I applied that last night and things aren't much better. Disabling the Speedstep/shift feature doesn't fix it on my MSI Godlike motherboard with Gen 13 intel processor. Also did Intel Diag and stress tests on the CPU, they all passed.

No idea why any of that affects the launcher skin with no impact to the actual game or system stability. I play plenty of games on this rig with no issues except this game launcher (not a problem with the game, just the launcher.)

Nothing ruins a gaming session more than spending 10 minutes trying to get the launcher to launch.

I keep asking for an ETA on when the launcher code will get fixed, and Support just keeps throwing Intel under the bus. *smh*
  • f15hb0wn
    f15hb0wn
    ✭✭
    I ran through all the hoops with Support with no joy (ticket is still open.) I even wiped the machine and only installed ESO to eliminate all software and configuration glitches.

I was poking around a bit and it appears that if CPU utilization if over 25% when I try to launch the launcher, it will launch consistently. There must be some calculation at boot that is running too quickly. It also explains why crippling the CPU by disabling processing enhancements (Speed Step, and Speed Shift) as @Daoin suggested or running Intel Processor Diagnostic (which stresses the CPU) as @Durnik suggested both band-aid the issue in most cases. In my case, the 5500MHz processor that is regularly at idle is too fast for the launcher even with speed enhancements (EIST, etc) disabled.

So what looked like a RNG was actually waiting for a second when CPU utilization was spiking from background tasks

tldr; - If your CPU is too fast to respond to Launchers init, it will give the "Unable to load skin" error. Hoping Support comes up with a better work around than crippling the CPU.
  • f15hb0wn
    f15hb0wn
    ✭✭
    Turning off Intel Turbo Boost in addition to SpeedStep and SpeedShift did fix the issue for me.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @f15hb0wn

We appreciate that you've shared the troubleshooting that ended up resolving this issue with the launcher.
    Staff Post
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    For the record, I have been encountering the same issue with the launcher intermittently for at least 2-3 months now, and it's been getting worse over the past week or so, often requiring a number of attempts to launch or not launching at all unless I go do something else on my computer then come back.

I have a 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K processor, and an NVIDIA RTX 2060 GPU. I am running the game repair now to see if it helps.

I can get in by going to the folder where the game is located and clicking directly on the exe file to launch it, but I hope a better fix is incoming. I have not yet tried the suggestions re going into my windows settings to turn off things like speed step, turbo boost and so on. Not sure how to find these things to turn off, and as others have said I'd rather not have to do this to features that are supposed to be improving performance.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Roxxsmom

Have you tried opening a support ticket yet?
    Staff Post
  • Roxxsmom
    Roxxsmom
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to need to open a ticket now, because I can't get into the game anymore via the client. As of today, I get a message telling me my client is outdated and to please exit and update my client using the patcher.

I have no idea how to do this. Where is the patcher and how do I access it from outside the game to update the client?

Also, how does one open a ticket from outside the game, since I can't even log in at all now?
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Roxxsmom

Please try using the following link here first and see if this allows you to start a ticket.

If you still cannot login, then use this link here.
    Staff Post