Maintenance for the week of October 28:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 28, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – October 30, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Launcher Update - Unable to load skin

Schattenspiel
Schattenspiel
✭✭
I cannot start the game, because I cannot even start the launcher. It raises an error "Unable to load skin". I even uninstalled/reinstalled. OS is Win 11.
gpu5ueyuznbc.png
Edited by ZOS_Bill on July 4, 2024 4:57PM
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Schattenspiel please follow the steps in this article and see if it helps resolve the issue.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    I checked. There was no ProgramData folder in the Launcher folder. I am using Steam, so I am trying the uninstall/reinstall again (just got off work).
    I shall also try to run on my Win 10 machine in a bit.

It appears I merely had to reboot my machine. Rare, but it happens.
    Edited by Schattenspiel on June 28, 2024 7:34AM
  • Shadows_Blade
    Shadows_Blade
    ✭✭
    This has been happening to me for a few days. I followed the directions to delete the launcher and rebuild it and the problem went away once. Now every time I click play in Steam there is a chance that it will open the launcher and a chance that it will give me the Cannot load skin error. When I get the error I just click OK then click Play again. Eventually it will load the launcher. It's important to note that this all started after a short patch, probably to the launcher, just a few days ago. I hope that you can fix this as it's a pain in the arse to have to click Play five or six times to play ESO.
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    It worked a couple of times, then the error came back. The most recent step I have taken is to uninstall/reinstall Steam. The game started fine after that, but now just gives me the error. :(
  • housenotail
    housenotail
    Soul Shriven
    I will add to this thread by saying that I have had this exact issue (for both PC and Steam versions) for 2 weeks now. I have run both ESO Launcher and Steam itself as admin. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Steam and ESO. I have totally reinstalled Windows, formatting the previous install, thus starting from a clean slate. Once I get to starting the launcher, it always gives this error. Note that this only started after the mini-patch that occurred 2 weeks ago, and that I have a laptop with both PC and Steam installed that are running just fine. I'm totally at a loss for why this is happening on one system but not the other.
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    same, not been able to log in for a some time now too. cannot figure out the cause of the problem. also taken all advised steps and nothing helps
    Edited by Daoin on July 2, 2024 6:26PM
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    I will add to this thread by saying that I have had this exact issue (for both PC and Steam versions) for 2 weeks now. I have run both ESO Launcher and Steam itself as admin. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Steam and ESO. I have totally reinstalled Windows, formatting the previous install, thus starting from a clean slate. Once I get to starting the launcher, it always gives this error. Note that this only started after the mini-patch that occurred 2 weeks ago, and that I have a laptop with both PC and Steam installed that are running just fine. I'm totally at a loss for why this is happening on one system but not the other.

Do you have a different OS on that system? I am have my troubles with the launcher on a Win 11 machine.

I managed to get the launcher running after multiple attempts, but it was too late for the 01 July reward on PC server. I wonder whether ingame help can fix that.
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    Daoin wrote: »
    same, not been able to log in for a some time now too. cannot figure out the cause of the problem. also taken all advised steps and nothing helps

I think it is just RNG that decides when the Launcher will act right. Just keep trying to start, and it may sneak one through.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Schattenspiel

If you still need further assistance, please go ahead and open a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can bypass the launcher and just login directly. So you can still login and play.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64
    Edited by SilverBride on July 4, 2024 5:57PM
    PCNA
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Bill wrote: »
    @Schattenspiel

If you still need further assistance, please go ahead and open a ticket with customer support.

I did. I suspect the problem arrived with the mid-June Launcher update, so I suppose we will need to wait on another patch.
  • Kainarel
    Kainarel
    ✭✭✭

You can bypass the launcher and just login directly. So you can still login and play.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64

It's a way to deal with it UNTIL a patch comes and we gotta patch the game. Then if the launcher is broken, people might not be able to patch the game and play.
    There are some issues with the launcher update, and it requires either a re-release without bugs or some fixing before the game gets its next patch.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kainarel wrote: »

It's a way to deal with it UNTIL a patch comes and we gotta patch the game. Then if the launcher is broken, people might not be able to patch the game and play. There are some issues with the launcher update, and it requires either a re-release without bugs or some fixing before the game gets its next patch.

I was suggesting this to a poster that hasn't been able to log in for awhile now as a way they could still play. I never suggested it as a permanent solution, but only as a way they could play in the meantime.
    PCNA
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Schattenspiel

Thanks for letting us know you already have a ticket open. If you need any updates, you are welcome to share the ticket number here.
    Staff Post
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    i already went though a lengthy ticket too and fro also and sent in all the information requested yet on the last launcher update i could not log in at all now due to unable to load skin where as before 1 in 20 may slip through
    Edited by Daoin on July 6, 2024 12:07PM
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭

this method sends me to try the method which is broke in the first place

yudunx1fd3u1.png

its been some time now and i am getting doubtful anybody knows how to fix the issue for some of us like the other person says we can just hope something changes each week at
    updates
    Edited by Daoin on July 6, 2024 12:22PM
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    Question Reference # 240607-005384

and the time of first original ticket: Date Created: 06/07/2024 06:56 PM

as you can see by the original ticket things only got worse and nobody from the team was really able to give me a solution that worked despite eventually getting this response

I am escalating your ticket to a specialized team to ensure you receive the best possible resolution of your issue

yet today i get

glsu9ppk7ypp.png

so basically nothing 1 month now except hoping the next update fixes something
    Edited by Daoin on July 6, 2024 12:35PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Daoin

Please check your forum inbox for an update.
    Staff Post
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    So far, this is only happening on my Win 11 machine. I have not seen this error in Win 10, yet.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The launcher gives me that error a lot now too, but if I keep retrying it eventually opens. Most of the time I now start the game directly rather than through the launcher unless an update is needed.
    Also Win 11.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Araneae6537

Have you already started a ticket regarding this launcher error?

If you have, you can share the ticket number in this thread.
    Staff Post
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    Update: apparently disabling intel speedstep tech and speedshift in BIOS solved the problem and no longer got the dreaded 'unable to load skin' again
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Araneae6537

Have you already started a ticket regarding this launcher error?

If you have, you can share the ticket number in this thread.

Sorry for my delayed response! I did not create a ticket and have not had this issue recently. I don’t know if something in a patch/maintenance may have fixed it or if the problem was one of several manifestations of issues with my graphics card that have now hopefully finally been fixed.
  • cryptiecopb14_ESO
    cryptiecopb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Update: apparently disabling intel speedstep tech and speedshift in BIOS solved the problem and no longer got the dreaded 'unable to load skin' again

This 1000% fixed my "unable to load skin" issue I've been recently dealing with - Thank you so much !!!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Araneae6537

Thank you for the update and letting us know the issue has not happened recently.
    Staff Post
  • Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    ok... This is going to sound crazy but I have this same problem. I had game crashes too. I uninstalled the game completely but couldn't even install (forget the error).

Long story short It could be due to your processor. I have the intel i-9-14900k. The Intel 13th and 14th gen CPU's are pretty much trash for gaming.

So I can 100% get the launcher to work and 100% get the game to install IF (hear me out) I open the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. For some reason, while that is running, I can load the launcher without getting the skin error. I had to open this utility to also get the files to download when installing the game.

While it sounds stupid, give it a shot. download from intel, install and see if you get the skin error when loading the launcher.

Just google Intel 14900k (or 13900k) game crash and you will see all kinds of stuff about these junky processors.
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    What you say is intriguing, but the start of the problem coincides with the June Launcher update.
  • Schattenspiel
    Schattenspiel
    ✭✭
    @Schattenspiel

Thanks for letting us know you already have a ticket open. If you need any updates, you are welcome to share the ticket number here.

240702-004802
  • ZOS_Kraken
    ZOS_Kraken
    admin
    @Schattenspiel I have sent you a forums message about your ticket.
    Staff Post
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1000% fixed my "unable to load skin" issue I've been recently dealing with - Thank you so much !!!

Yes, this fixed my problem too which appeared right after a BIOS update that I foolishly installed. 😒

This reminds me of an old joke my grandfather used to tell me.

A guy visits a friend in the hospital and asks the doctor how his buddy is doing.

"He's improving," the doctor replies.

Returning the next day, he asks the doctor the same question.

"He's improving," says the doctor.

On the third day the guy returns and, yes, asks how his friend is.

"He's dead," states the doctor.

"DEAD!? But you said he was improving!"

"That's what he died from," says the doctor somberly, "He died from too much improvement."