Maintenance for the week of June 17:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 17, 10:00PM EDT (June 18, 2:00 UTC) - June 18, 5:00AM EDT (9:00 UTC)

Try ESO Classic

• Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thanks...unlike WoW ESO has greatly improved.
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nostalgia element would be the only draw. Things are so different and in many ways far better now, that going back to the early state would just be for a kicks and giggles novelty and nothing more.

In like, 50 years, when the servers are shut down for the final time, it would be bittersweet to have an offline version of ESO available, perhaps with private servers - or enthusiasts seeking the nostalgia of it all.

At least, I'd still like to revisit this game when I am 87.

I'm thinking if nostalgia were the motivation for a player going back to replay Skyrim would be the way to go.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ESO classic might be a cool idea. Although there have been a number of improvements to the game, there are a few things that were interesting to me in classic. Let's say that classic goes all the way up to patch 1.6, the release of Imperial City.

The content was difficult. Even experienced players could wipe in dungeons such as Banished Cells 2. There was some appeal in this type of difficulty.

Everything worked differently. There was some appeal in figuring out stuff. Things were not as spoonfed.

The trials were intense. I've done a number of tri-fecta runs and none of their conclusions has felt as intense as standing in the Mages blasting sun, the Warriors starfall, or the Serpent winding up his sword as we time Nova and Veil of Blades. Heck, even spamming Healing Springs everywhere while running was cool in it's own right.

Maybe I've changed, maybe we've changed, but something about the game also seems to have changed and I think that it's good to look back fondly.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on May 23, 2024 9:58PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nostalgia element would be the only draw.

Also playing overland and story content with the threat of failure. So, two draws, if you're among those that don't like the trivial difficulty non-group content has.

That only worked if you were wiling to regularly skip ahead to quests at your level. If you wanted to play all of them you'd end up vastly over-levelled for what you were doing, making it even more trivial than it is now and making most of the rewards useless.

One Tamriel actually made the game harder for me at first, because I'm one of the people who likes questing so I wanted to do all the quests as I was going through an area, but that meant I was always above the recommended level. Every so often I'd get so far ahead that I stopped getting XP at all, then it would start to catch up, but it never got to the point where I was doing quests at my level. I'd pick which skills to use in boss fights based on which animations I hadn't seen for a while, because it really didn't matter what I hit them with and I'd only get 1-2 attacks before they died.

(Now I can kind of balance it by not using CP in open world maps, and using sub-optimal builds, but that's something I'd do anyway because I find them more fun.)

Or there was that really annoying 'feature' where if you loaded in as someone else killed the boss your quest would automatically complete, even if it meant skipping several steps. One quest in Auridon was especially bad for that, the boss is upstairs close to the entrance, you're supposed to talk to someone inside, search the place and then confront them but because you're 'in range' of the boss when you enter the building if anyone else killed them you'd skip all of that and go straight to reporting what you'd "discovered" to the guards outside.

That's the kind of thing I'd really hate to have to deal with again. I suspect for every fun nostalgia moment there would be two or three really annoying things we'd largely forgotten about having to deal with.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Wildberryjack
    Wildberryjack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play retail WoW and Classic and that won't work here because this game is designed different from the ground up. The classic version of this game was a total failure and it had to be completely reworked to what it is now. If you go back to that no one will play it.
    The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls. ~Pablo Picasso
    Options
  • Rkindaleft
    Rkindaleft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand it would be an optional server on the side but does anyone actually want to go back to no sticker book, no transmute stations, no jewelry crafting, alliance locked zones separated by level, hardly any skill lines, no antiquities system, no housing, no battlegrounds, no Warden, Arcanist or Necromancer, no companions, no trials - and that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

The game would be infinitely worse than live and would be dead in a month.

Edited by Rkindaleft on May 24, 2024 12:11AM
    https://youtube.com/@rkindaleft PlayStation NA. I upload parses and trial POVs sometimes.

Tic Tacs Tormentor | Immortal Beemer | Gryphon Fart | Codslayer | Yawnbringer | Drainsbreaker
    Options
  • AD_Tuggo
    AD_Tuggo
    ✭✭
    You think you do, but you don't.
    Options
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play retail WoW and Classic and that won't work here because this game is designed different from the ground up. The classic version of this game was a total failure and it had to be completely reworked to what it is now. If you go back to that no one will play it.

Exactly trying to make ESO a Raid Centric PVP centric game will never ever work there are not enough people that like that sort of thing...

I'm so glad the devs reworked ESO from the ground up to be "Skyrim with friends"

Edited by Warhawke_80 on May 24, 2024 5:56PM
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Here is the thing, you would play ESO Classic for the nostalgia but here is the thing, that nostalgia would wear off after 10 minutes, nobody wants an ESO classic because ESO classic would be riddled with the thousands of bugs that were present when the game launched that eventually got fixed but it also lack the following features...
    • Zones would be leveled and alliance locked, you would not beable to play with anyone from other alliances, this mean if you were EP and went to the Daggerfall or Aldmeri Zones you would find yourself in a literal Ghost Town, limited to a Veteran level instance of those zones.
    • There was no DLC Zones, no Imperial City, no Battlegrounds, the overland map was limited to the alliance zones and Coldharbour, Craglorn did not come out until ESO was over a month old.
    • There were no Guild Traders, if you wanted to sell something then your only option was selling to members of your own alliance in Zone Chat.
    • There was no housing and by extension no furniture or furniture plans, the poor Vestige was technically homeless.
    • There was no Warden, Necromancer or Arcanist class.
    • There was no Justice System meaning you could not Pickpocket or Kill non-hostiles, there were no outlaw refuges and transformed Werewolves could run around in the middle of a town without NPCs responding.
    • There was no collectables tab, you had to hold the Imgakin Monkey pet in your inventory and to further this point it meant there was also no craftbag.
    • There was no Jewelry Crafting or Transmutation, if you did not like the traits then you would have to run dungeons hundreds of times to get what you want.
    • No Outfit Station, everyone was running around in mismatched red colored armor with weird monster heads.
    • Veteran Ranks instead of Champion Points, once you reached level 50 you still needed to reach Vr10 which took forever and was not account wide.
    • Only Horse Mounts, only thing positive about this is they were not sparkly but there was still a massive lack in variety, and you had to level up each Horse separately, riding skill was not character-wide like it is today.
    • There was no Crown Store, sure some might see that as a positive but at the time there was still the sub-requirement to even play and depending on who you ask, some people actually like what the Crown Store has given us.
    • There was no Antiquities System, Tales of Tributes and certainly no Scribing which we will get very soon, sure some do not like these mini-games but there are a lot of people who do, they add flavor and things to do that the launch version of ESO sorely lacked.

Does this sound appealing you? trust me when I say this...YOU DO NOT WANT AN ESO CLASSIC
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on May 24, 2024 4:16AM
    Options
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only playable classic would be retail, but with all the cut or dumbed down mechanics, all the things that were cut down because "inclusivity" which company barely understands making high end play not worth it or simply boring. No ult cast times, importance of weaving, meaningful sets and buffs, old versions of skills having a degree of skill to it etc. etc. etc.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lemme just say it.

It was not harder then.

I auto attacked molag bal to death on a bow sorc. Back when most people complained you needed a resto staff to do it.

I did the fighters guild and mages guild finales(lvl 43) at 31 on a templar because I could.

The only thing in the overland that was dangerous were the world bosses.

I think some of you guys misremember stuff, or were just bad at the game at launch(which is fine, it was new, no one was "good" then).
    Options
  • Khrogo
    Khrogo
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, when ESO launched, all monster heads, apart from Valkyn Skoria, dropped at Vet 12 when the cap was Vet 14. Also, when I say “dropped”, the heads weren’t guaranteed, the drop rate seemed similar to that of the dungeon style pages now. One friend had to run vet Darkshade 2 over 50 times to get the Engine Guardian head to drop. Vet Darkshade 2 back then was hellish. Most groups failed at Grobull. During the fight, there would be more netches than pixels. I wouldn’t exactly describe any of it as fun. Classic needs to remain a memory, a memory recounted to children to scare them into good behaviour.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Lemme just say it.

It was not harder then.

I auto attacked molag bal to death on a bow sorc. Back when most people complained you needed a resto staff to do it.

I did the fighters guild and mages guild finales(lvl 43) at 31 on a templar because I could.

The only thing in the overland that was dangerous were the world bosses.

I think some of you guys misremember stuff, or were just bad at the game at launch(which is fine, it was new, no one was "good" then).

most of the world bosses at launch were barely dangerous at all lol, some of them had less hp than dungeon mobs lol

a lot of those got updated with one tamriel

for example bittergreen the wild at launch was literally just a plain guar enemy with slightly elevated HP, its difficulty was far lower than it is after it was revamped/today lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My biggest issue back then wasn’t so much World Bosses, besides Soulfire Plateau, it was when they made the veteran zones group content like Craglorn and didn’t tell anyone until there was a huge uproar. That meant boss HP was higher and they had a little more resistance but hit harder.

A few times I was just questing, QUESTING, and I had to kill some mobs for that quest… no big deal right? Well… no because the mobs were so close together, which isn’t an issue at below 50 levels, but in Vet zones that means I would go from fighting 4 enemies to 12 fast and of course I’d die..

Every enemy was designed to require at least 3-4 people and that made solo hard because the vet zones were empty pretty much. Sure, things were possible, some might take a few chances and super focus but not everyone wants that. Not everyone desires ultra sweat mode 24/7 for all content. Other things bothered me looking back like I said in my previous post but this was the biggest headache for me.
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to chime in here. No plans for anything like an "ESO Classic" at this time. We've investing in new experiences in our existing ESO game and investing in quality of life improvements overall. That way, everyone can have the best experience possible when playing new and older content.

However, we'll always pass on feedback to know if this is a growing desire among the player base.

I mean, no thank you. Sure there's nostalgia sake, and I really do miss levelled zones and Vet Ranks, but in the end, no thank you please keep on truckin into the future.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi all, just wanted to chime in here. No plans for anything like an "ESO Classic" at this time. We've investing in new experiences in our existing ESO game and investing in quality of life improvements overall. That way, everyone can have the best experience possible when playing new and older content.

However, we'll always pass on feedback to know if this is a growing desire among the player base.

I mean, no thank you. Sure there's nostalgia sake, and I really do miss levelled zones and Vet Ranks, but in the end, no thank you please keep on truckin into the future.
    Now I'm glad zones was leveled the first time I played, trough the game it was an pretty flawed system.
    It was very easy to over level if you did anything but questing, and even going wrong in an zone could cause this as mobs inside an zone had different levels too and the higher level ones gave more xp.
    But rememeber finding the tunnel from Grathwood to Reaper march and got killed very fast :)
    And not getting past the first trash in FG 1 :)
    And Dorsia, think lots of the problem here was that people died then wanted to group up as they did for world bosses and public dungeons but it did not work.
    Back then few could fight, remember reaching Coldharbor and did not find harvester hard.
    Remember fighting a group of bandit at an beach and used AoE who agroed a group of mudcrabs so I died
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit was in ESO beta, and played for a bit. And hated it. And quit. So yeah. That's a big NO.

This one has had his fill of folks bringing WOW into any conversation about ESO. There is a reason this one has never once played that cheeze-wiz cartoon-network Warhammer rip-off "zug zug". Everything khajiit has ever seen about that game has reinforced the notion that he made the correct decision.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »
    NO THIS IS NOT A GROWING DESIRE

This one agrees, PLEASE NO!

Perhaps if there are any folks who truly want this kind of thing, they can go play WOW classic.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    Options
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Technically, wouldn't ESO ' Classic ' be the game that ended up shutting down and getting revamped?

Currently I reset a couple accounts, wiped All characters, All Mats, All inventory, and start over. Only problem is there is No way to reset the Achievements, for those of us who would like to have each character do their Own achievements.

The least they could consider is having a toggle on the Account, if the player wanted to restart and make a Story for the new character, that would remove All the account wide achievements.

IMHO

:#

Options
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    would ESO Classic use CP system ?
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "Death is overrated", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
    Options
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    half the server population , game full of bugs, quarter of the content and 1/8th of the DPS - with limited support?

No thanks
    Edited by MJallday on May 25, 2024 12:06PM
    Options
  • Trinotops
    Trinotops
    ✭✭✭✭
    The enlightened take here is that neither old ESO or current ESO are perfect. There have been a number of things over the years that have driven away players (like poor performance, massive shifts in philosophy and direction in regards to combat, aggressive monetization) while there have also been things that have attracted new players (like housing, new classes/systems, QoL things). Realistically, there likely wouldn't be enough interest in an ESO classic for it to be a sound investment for ZOS, but the sentiment is definitely there. When people say they want ESO classic it's likely that they're saying they're dissatisfied with some aspect of the game rather than "I want ESO with fewer features and more grind".
    Edited by Trinotops on May 25, 2024 12:23PM
    Options
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the original version of the game bombed so badly it took an emergency cash injection and a huge amount of work to fix it. I'm not clear why it would be any more attractive second time around?
    Edited by Northwold on May 25, 2024 3:33PM
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xarc wrote: »
    would ESO Classic use CP system ?

Depends. CP was introduced early with Justice system way back in 2015 but that was a year after launch. It didn’t replace veteran ranks until later I believe in 2016 or so.

Means ESO Classic would lack justice system too so no TG or DB.

Options
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »
    half the server population , game full of bugs, quarter of the content and 1/8th of the DPS - with limited support?

No thanks

Yes but the game will be Raid and PVP centric!!!!

What fun :|
    Options
  • darvaria
    darvaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    IDK I guess I'm just terminally bored with ESO at the moment. Not even sure at what point would be "classic". I've had quite a bit of fun with WOW classic versions. And quite a lot of fun over the years I have had with ESO. And the game has really improved. I never drop sub but don't play for longer periods of time now. So thinking, I can see where ESO Classic probably wouldn't appeal to most. Unlike most, I've never had performance issues. I think those are mostly due to individual computer and internet issues.

I'm back here from a few months from heavy WOW playing and am having trouble with the FOV. FOV in WOW can really be extended. That's part of my problem now. I really like ESO more than WOW except for the FOV and missing real BG's like WSG and AB. I'm sick of this 3 sided pvp. Could be the upgraded monitor too. 3x bigger and much higher resolution than last one I played ESO on
    Edited by darvaria on May 27, 2024 12:15AM
    Options