Try ESO Classic

darvaria
darvaria
✭✭✭✭
Yes that's right. Exactly as the beginning with players starting with 0 CP. Push this and see how many new players you will pick up from other MMO's. And returning players.

WOW is making out well rerolling old games.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic ESO does not hold the same level of nostalgia. It was not a cultural phenomenon like WoW was when it released.
    A classic ESO would likely even be harmful to the game, in particular pvp. You really don't want to split these player numbers.

Objectively speaking, ESO is a much better game now. Classic ESO had no trials, no skillines like thieves guild, brotherhood, psijic, no housing, battelgrounds and 100 other things. People have much to say about the state of combat/class balance, as do I. I miss block canceling and some of the wilder mechanics that were either removed or streamlined, but I am not blind enough to believe ESO was better on release or in the years following its release.

Nostalgic though I may be for that time.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
    Options
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vet ranks? Character specific achievements? No level scaling? Inability to group with friends due to alliance/other restrictions? ...

Only one on that very short list of features from yesteryear interest me and I suspect it's the one that zos will never return to.
    Options
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Classic ESO will never happen.

Vanilla WoW was objectively better than Retail WoW and hundreds of thousands of players were playing private servers. So they made Classic. This was only because they had a Senior Engineer who worked on Vanilla and every expansion with intimate knowledge of the game architecture and systems. They were able to import all the old game code and data files into the modern WoW client and server. Otherwise Classic would have never happened.

Vanilla ESO was objectively worse than Retail ESO and hundreds of thousands of players are not playing private servers. It's also likely impossible to import the old ESO game files into the modern ESO client and server. It's best for the game and for the players if ZOS focuses their resources on the future and not trying to modernize the past.

Which one is WoW and which one is ESO? It should be obvious why one of them should not have Classic.

img]
    Edited by SkaraMinoc on May 23, 2024 2:38AM
    PC NA
    Options
  • Orbital78
    Orbital78
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather they work on improving performance than lowering it. Also your crown store purchases don't carry over between servers, which is one of the reasons I don't use EU servers.
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Classic Servers are usually a money-grab that plays on nostalgia, featuring terrible monetization.

I don't know about WoW classic, I've never really played WoW in spite of remembering when it launched and all of the hype around it. But other games I've played where classic servers were launched, took the opportunity to monetize many features of the game that were formerly standard parts of the classic game. They weren't "true" classic servers in any sense- they were "Pay to unlock the features you used to love" servers.

One game I used to adore even monetized earning gold, so that after an hour of play, if you hadn't bought a premium pass, you could no longer earn gold or exp because you "ran out of energy"....a feature that was never part of the original MMORPG.

While I don't think ZOS would do anything close to that bad, I'm sure they'd monetize a classic server in some way that would make them much different from the original. And honestly, given how much Retail ESO has improved over time, I highly doubt a classic server would draw much attention at all, if any.

I don't think there's anything particularly striking or nostalgic about "classic" ESO. I'm not even sure what you think is classic, what time period in the games history are we discussing?
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never played WoW but as I understand it a big part of the appeal of WoW Classic is that the changes in that game were much more extensive than just adding or re-working mechanics and balance, or even adding new levels and gear. Entire areas of the world were redesigned in some expansions so quest hubs were changed or removed and all their quests were gone. Classic is a way for players to experience whole areas of the game they hadn't been able to see for years.

ESO hasn't done that. They changed where you start, but even then the original tutorial and main story are still available. (Yes I know the Coldharbour tutorial has been redesigned a few times, but that's little things like changing how the tutorial sections explain mechanics and how you choose weapons, the story and theme are still the same.) All the original base game quests and areas are still in the game and fully playable so there wouldn't be anything for players to rediscover (or discover for the first time) in a Classic version.

Also as mentioned ESO at launch was not great and it's gotten a lot better over time. Yes it might be a fun novelty to play without CP, but I suspect it would be outweighed by the annoyance of grinding vet levels and being locked into specific maps while you do, only having 1 active mount and having to go to a stable to swap them (and having to train each mount on each character instead of just the character), not being able to play with people from other Alliances at all, not being able to dye armour and weapons or costumes (and having very few costumes available) and all the other stuff I've forgotten or not listed. Not to mention all the bugs and balance issues that would come back too.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • darvaria
    darvaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've left ESO for extended periods of time. I really enjoyed WOW classic and WOTLK classic. SOD was okay but they keep changing game mechanics.

Just wish for something that would be fun like the beginning. I suppose some people get to a point where nothing in any of these games is fun any more.
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter and SIL play WoW Classic - a bit, not very much by now. When they told me they were starting it, I was like "Good lord! If it's at all like vanilla WoW, it's just going to be as painful as vanilla was!" I played vanilla to begin with. And it was PAINFUL. Once I finally got to 60 and then to flying mounts, I would NEVER have gone back to all the pain points in classic....

Actually, I've done what OP is talking about without needing "ESO classic". I again started a new account (this is my 4th one) so one character on each PC megaserver, no cp, low levels as yet, no help from my other three accounts, gear only as found.

It works fine - because I know how it works. I don't actually know if people (other than those similar to me) would want to pay to start at square one again.... and for me it's not an issue because I have 12 cp 160+ characters on my other accounts, so if I'm feeling constrained by a lowbie, I just go run around on my max level girls for a while.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO isn't that kind of game....

There's so much more investment outside of just "leveling up" like other games.
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blizzard might be benefiting from Classic WoW, but the game really isn't. All it's done is solidify a divide in the player base and create even more feelings of detachment towards retail/current WoW.
    And like many have kind of said here, ESO was trash when it first launched. And Zenimax can barely keep the current console and PC versions of ESO afloat.... I can't imagine how bad things would get if they had to worry about a whole nother option of each one as well.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thanks. The game is better now that in was in the past (content and mechanically speaking).
    Options
  • Artim_X
    Artim_X
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything good about ESO is from the devs seeing what players like and adding it into the game with quality-of-life features. IMHO ESO classic would be rubbish.
    (AD) Artim X/Xirtām/Måtrix |PC/NA| Casual staff wielding vampire sorcerer/templar/arcanist
    Electric-Burn/Stun
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Av0zcKH3i2BkaY1GXW/giphy.gif/https://c.tenor.com/jQHdFftrgwMAAAAC/tenor.gif
    • Damage Dealing Build.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Inferno/Lightning Staff (infused/shock enchant), and Rage of the Ursauk jewelry (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused/flame/weapon damage enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Boundless Storm, Mages' Wrath, Lightning Flood, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build), and Power Overload.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Crushing Shock/Storm Pulsar, Streak, Flame/Shock Reach, Unstable Wall of Fire/Storms, Twilight Tormentor (Twilight Matriarch for solo roleplay variant of build) and Fiery/Thunderous Rage.
    Electric-Heal
    https://media.giphy.com/media/5ibGIHneWS6ek/giphy.gif
    • My Healer Build.
    • Gear: 5 Spell Power Cure (All apparel light and Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchants), Maelstrom's Perfected Lightning Staff (Charged/shock enchant), and Infallible Aether jewelry (arcane with spell damage enchant)/restoration staff (Powered with absorb magicka enchant). 1 Mora's Whispers.
    • Ability-Bar 1: Power Surge, Boundless Storm, Blessing of Restoration, Energy Orb, Twilight Matriarch, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Dark Deal, Overflowing Altar, Elemental Drain, Blockade of Storms, Twilight Matriarch, and Aggressive Horn.
    Electric-Ward
    https://media.giphy.com/media/Wa0TGmtDvwW3e/giphy.gif
    • My Meme Tank Build that uses high resistance and variety of wards.
    • Gear: 5 Brands of Imperium (All body pieces except Head and Shoulders, with Divine trait, and with Prismatic Defense Enchants), full Mother Ciannait's (1 light and 1 medium. Divines and Max Mag Enchant), and Combat Physician jewelry (bloodthirsty with Prismatic Recovery Enchants), CP restoration staff (Infused with hardening enchant), and CP ice staff (Infused with crusher enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Critical Surge, Bound Aegis, Deep Thoughts, Boundless Storm, Healing Ward, and Replenishing Barrier.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Silver Leash (Elemental Drain if healer isn't running it), Bound Aegis, Frost Clench, Blockade of Frost, Empowered Ward, and Temporal Guard.
    Electric-Vamp
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ukDQiYZzRAxMZKcK86/giphy.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact for regular and NoCP build/Oblivion's Foe for dot build (medium chest and body pieces light. All Impenetrable. Max Mag Enchants). Gaze of Sithis and 1 light Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton (light shoulders, and impenetrable with Max Mag Enchants). Knight Slayer/Pariah jewelry/Plaguebreak for dot build (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant)/lightning staff (infused with oblivion enchant for regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build. Sharpened for dot build)/restoration staff (infused with oblivion enchant regular and noCP build/absorb magicka enchant and Sharpened for dot build).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Structured Entropy, Boundless Storm, Soul Splitting Trap, Radiating Regeneration, Healing Ward, and Life Giver.
    • Ability-Bar 2: Drain Vigor (Elemental Susceptibility), Race Against Time, Rune Cage, Radiant Magelight, Empowered Ward, and Shatter Soul.
    Dawnfang
    https://media.tenor.com/ogWfvDdsqBIAAAAd/anime-black-clover.gif
    • My casual one bar heavy attack Templar build that only utilizes Aedric Spear abilities.
    • Gear: 5 Infallible Aether (Head or Shoulder and body pieces except Chest. All body pieces Divines with Max Mag Enchants), 1 Slimecraw Guise for max spell critical (Divines, light, Max Mag Enchant), Lightning Staff of the Sergeant (Infused/shock enchant), and Sergeant's Mail jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Aurora Javelin, Toppling Charge, Blazing Spear, Radiant Ward, and Crescent Sweep.
    Duskfang
    https://media.tenor.com/Jo8aG_ouy_oAAAAd/ac-odyssey.gif
    • Tanky stage 4 vampire utility focused PvP healer that can take down very inexperienced players but is primarily focused on working alongside others in an organized group, PUGs, or zergs.
    • Gear: 5 Torug's Pact (Heavy Chest with light Head, Waist, Hands, and Feet. All body pieces Impenetrable. Health enchant on head and everything else Magicka Enchants), 1 Medium Mighty Chudan/Pirate Skeleton Shoulder (Impenetrable, Max Health Enchant), Knight Slayer Restoration Staff (Infused/Decrease Health enchant/Stealth-Draining Poison IX), and Knight Slayer jewelry (One Ring and one Neck. Both bloodthirsty with spell damage enchant). 1 Oakensoul Ring (bloodthirsty with Spell Damage Enchant).
    • Ability-Bar 1:Radiant Oppression, Race Against Time, Aurora Javelin, Breath of Life, Resolving Vigor, and Life Giver (Shatter Soul).
    PvE Starter Gear
    https://media.giphy.com/media/6CovzgyTig7M4/giphy.gif
    • Gear: 5 Law of Julianos (heavy chest, gloves/belt light, and the rest can be light or 1 medium piece if you're not wearing medium anywhere else on your body. All in training if grinding for XP or divines), Armor of the Seducer or Magnus' Gift head, shoulder, and staves (light with 1 medium piece if you are not already wearing 1 medium Julianos piece. All in training or divines. The staves should be training or infused), and 3 purple Willpower Jewelry with Arcane trait (can be bought from trading guilds for relatively cheap.
    • Check tamrieltradecentre.com for the best deals if you're not using a price checking addon).
    Race
    https://media.giphy.com/media/sdEkeWpiaGz0A/giphy.gif
    • High elf, since you will not have issues with sustain, but other mag based races are also fine so this is more of a personal choice.
    Mundus Stones
    https://media.giphy.com/media/cT3wMhLGQWdKU/giphy.gif
    • PvP: The Lover for penetration when playing a sorc or temp.
    • PvE Healing/Damage: The Thief for decent crit rate.
    • PvE Tanking: The Lady to get close to resistance cap.
    Current Champion Points
    https://media.giphy.com/media/l4FGDAx6u3hthMhgI/giphy.gif
    • DPS Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Exploiter, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Thaumaturge, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Healer Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Hope Infusion, Weapon's Expert, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • Tanky Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Ironclad, Enduring Resolve, Reinforced, Duelist's Rebuff, Bastion, Ward Master, Rejuvenation, Fortified.
    • PvP Sorc: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, Occult Overload, Arcane Supremacy, Bastion, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvE Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Fighting Finesse, Master-at-Arms, Weapons Expert, Biting Aura, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    • PvP Temp: Shadowstrike/ Master Gatherer, Meticulous Disassembly/Plentiful Harvest, Steed's Blessing, Sustaining Shadows, Enlivening Overflow, Weapon's Expert, From the Brink, Arcane Supremacy, Celerity, Rejuvenation, Fortified, Boundless Vitality.
    Favorite Foods and Potions
    https://media.giphy.com/media/3otPoTggaYFNd1FdAI/giphy.gif
    • Parse Food for PvE:(DPS) Ghastly Eye Bowl (increases Max Magicka by 4592 and Magicka Recovery by 459 for 2 hours).
    • Gold/Purple Food for Sorc PvP and Meme Tanking:(PvP) Clockwork Citrus Filet (increases Max Health by 3326, Health Recovery by 406 [useful if stage 1 vampire], Max Magicka by 3080, and Magicka Recovery by 338 for 2 hours). Witchmother's Potent Brew (Increase Max Magicka by 2856, Max Health by 3094, and Magicka Recovery by 315 for 2 hours.
    • Trash Potions when feeling cheap: Regular CP150 Essence of Magicka pots that I obtain frequently from playing the game or Crown Tri-Restoration Potion obtained from dailies.
    • Crafted Potions: Essence of Spell Critical (Bugloss, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacinth). Without magelight this is my primary means of obtaining Major Prophecy on my Sorc, which increases my Spell Critical Rating. This also heals and restores magicka. Essence of Immovability (Columbine, Corn Flower, and Wormwood). I use this in PvP, since this gives me stealth detection, knockback immunity, and restores magicka (better to use it when competent allies are nearby, since it might reveal that you are surrounded by multiple players in stealth and you will not have an emergency pot available after use). Essence of Invisibility with only 2 ingredients (Blue Entoloma, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, or Spider Egg). I use this in PvE content that requires stealth and if I need more speed I'll use Rapid Maneuver before using the potion. Essence of Invisibility with 3 ingredients (Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, and Namira's Rot). Very useful in PvP alongside the vampire Dark Stalker passive, since you'll be invisible, ignore movement speed penalty while in Crouch, and you'll have a 30% movement speed boost from Major Expedition (I always have this slotted when riding from point A to B in PvP land, since gankers are always lurking). My templar will mostly use Essence of Health (Tri-Stat Potion) Ingredients: (Mountain Flower, Columbine, and Bugloss).
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    darvaria wrote: »
    Yes that's right. Exactly as the beginning with players starting with 0 CP. Push this and see how many new players you will pick up from other MMO's. And returning players.

Honestly, this might be a good idea if you want to have an online single player game. :lol:
    There are too many improvements to the game for them to do a classic version. I can't see that it would be that popular.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest going back to the old system.
    Options
  • moderatelyfatman
    moderatelyfatman
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you ask all the long term players in ESO when was the best era to play the game, you won't get a unified response beyond "Before Patch 35'.
    Options
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it's creation and support wouldn't take resources away from fixing and improving the current-state game.

Personally I'd prolly try it once just to get a renewed appreciation for what we DO have now in-game.
    I've not been with ESO since launch, only a few years, but every person I've ever read describing what it was like in the beginning, just... NOPE.

I have done what a few others mentioned, creating a fresh account and on another server with no ties to my main.
    It is fun, brings back the memories somewhat and adds challenge being low level but without access to a massive pile of resources.

But personally I think it's just a "new-toon\vet player" thing with me, the climb is what is fun now. And I can do that even under my main account, just discipline myself to keep my hand out of the account cookie jar :)

It's a lot more fun now having the knowledge of how things work and running into dragon or WB fights at level 4. Really forces you to use basic abilities and resources well.
    Edited by Tenthirty2 on May 23, 2024 12:48PM
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ask all the long term players in ESO when was the best era to play the game, you won't get a unified response beyond "Before Patch 35'.

My account predates launch and I don't agree here.

Take it as you will.
    Options
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t miss the Plump Rodent Toes, having Vet recipes drop at low level or lack of outfit customization (even ignoring the fact that we only had a little over a dozen options as far as Motifs way back when)!
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
    Options
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    so that would be morrowind, oblivion and skyrim?
    Options
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭

Just about everything regarding ESO was better pre U35. *cough* jabs animation....

Edited by CrazyKitty on May 23, 2024 3:58PM
    Options
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree with the general sentiment of this thread,

I think Cyrodiil classic with ESO 1.5 would be a cool novelty, just because the game's PvP played very different back then, and it might be a cool contrast to what we have now.

Like just give everyone a PTS template with the handful of sets in the game back then, and make it Cyrodiil only.

I bet a lot of long lost players might give it a try, and maybe some newer players who never experienced the game before 1.6 and want a different take on ESO.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on May 23, 2024 4:59PM
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cyrodiil classic with ESO 1.5 would be a cool novelty, just because the game's PvP played very different back then, and it might be a cool contrast to what we have now.

Like just give everyone a PTS template with the handful of sets in the game back then, and make it Cyrodiil only.

I bet a lot of long lost players might give it a try, and maybe some newer players who never experienced the game before 1.6 and want a different take on ESO.

If you take the game back to where PvP was smooth you are also taking the game back to when players using cheat engine could fly and cast constant meteors on their enemies below.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure lets just go back to a time when you had to buy mounts individually for each character, no jewelry crafting, no trials, faction-locked PVE, level scaled zones, no dlc dungeons, no craglorn, no IC, etc (/sarcasm)

while i did not think the game was as terrible as people were reviewing it back then, i also would not want to go back to that time and lose all of the current quality of life features and expanded content
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

If you take the game back to where PvP was smooth you are also taking the game back to when players using cheat engine could fly and cast constant meteors on their enemies below.

Speaking more in terms of combat design than performance. The game was very resource management focused, as opposed to just burst and pressure that have defined the PvP gameplay for nearly 9 years. This would be totally foreign to a substantial amount of the player base. Something like that could be ported to the current engine, sans the various animation changes.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on May 23, 2024 5:53PM
    Options
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they actually do ESO Classic, I look forward to still being stuck in Rivenspire a year after release.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just wanted to chime in here. No plans for anything like an "ESO Classic" at this time. We've investing in new experiences in our existing ESO game and investing in quality of life improvements overall. That way, everyone can have the best experience possible when playing new and older content.

However, we'll always pass on feedback to know if this is a growing desire among the player base.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO THIS IS NOT A GROWING DESIRE
    Options
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nostalgia element would be the only draw. Things are so different and in many ways far better now, that going back to the early state would just be for a kicks and giggles novelty and nothing more.

In like, 50 years, when the servers are shut down for the final time, it would be bittersweet to have an offline version of ESO available, perhaps with private servers - or enthusiasts seeking the nostalgia of it all.

At least, I'd still like to revisit this game when I am 87.
    I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
    Options
  • Credible_Joe
    Credible_Joe
    ✭✭✭✭
    The nostalgia element would be the only draw.

Also playing overland and story content with the threat of failure. So, two draws, if you're among those that don't like the trivial difficulty non-group content has.

That being said, it's not something worth giving up all the other gameplay and QOL updates we've had since. I don't think I'd enjoy much about ESO classic; in fact, the only negative change I can think of was scaling overland difficulty to faceroll levels for everyone in 1-Tamriel. Might be accessible, but the technical cliff new players face when transitioning from solo to group content is extremely unforgiving. If there's no feedback for what gameplay approaches are effective or ineffective when it doesn't matter, learning it when it does matter will be a bad experience.
    Edited by Credible_Joe on May 23, 2024 8:45PM
    Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
    Options
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes we look at ESO back in 2014 with rose colored glasses. Sure, it was great but it was also new, players were itching for more TES after Skyrim. However, I don’t think the original ESO game would have lasted 10 years if it didn’t become this one.

We had forced group content that everyone hated and made soloing thru vet zones maddening, Craglorn was primarily a place to grind, quests that needed another player to beat the boss but you had to be precisely at the same moment, VR ranks, leveled zones, adventure zones were primary DLC… I remember when one of the higher devs who left said that Wrothgar was the only single player zone coming out for a while, no housing, no BGs, no Hard Modes, barely any trials, a different attribute system, no CP, no Psijic order skill line, no jewelry crafting, no outfit system and just so much more.

I know that if ESO had continued down that path like originally planned I wouldn’t have kept playing once I finished Wrothgar. In fact, back then before they shifted focus and strategy, I did plan on quitting and moving onto another game.
    Options