The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

(Scribing) Which Werewolf skill would you swap out for a Werewolf Grimoire?

Erickson9610
Erickson9610
✭✭✭✭✭
Given that Werewolf can only slot 5 Werewolf skills, and a potential Werewolf Grimoire would function as a 6th skill, which of the 5 existing Werewolf skills would you swap out in order to use said Werewolf Grimoire? Further, what sort of utility or roleplay would you want from said 6th Werewolf skill? Note that a Werewolf Grimoire is not planned for release with the Gold Road Chapter; however, there is still a possibility of one being introduced in the future.

To clarify, a Grimoire is a special skill that is added to existing skill lines (such as Soul Magic or Fighters Guild) which can be customized by the user to perform functions ranging from healing/buffing allies, damaging enemies, or taunting enemies. They can even be customized with a Class Mastery Signature Script to allow the Grimoire to interact with a Class's identity — for instance, if a Necromancer Werewolf were to use the Necromancer Class Mastery script on a Werewolf Grimoire, they could generate corpses to feed on.

So, the question I'm asking is this: what kind of animations or skills would you want from a Werewolf Grimoire? What would enhance your roleplay or combat ability? Is it worth swapping out one of the existing Werewolf skills? If so, which Werewolf skill would you swap out for a Werewolf Grimoire of your choosing?

I'll list a few ideas for potential Werewolf Grimoires:
  • Bite — A simple biting attack, much like the one Werewolf Behemoth has.
    • Focus Scripts: Physical Damage, Bleed Damage, Disease Damage, or Taunt
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Damage Over Time, Snare, Extend Werewolf Transformation, or Healing
    • Affix Scripts: Interrupt, Breach, Maim, Resolve, or Expedition
  • Rampage — A channeled attack where the user swipes with their claws four times and then bites twice, similar in a sense to Puncturing Strikes; this ability reuses the animation that NPC werewolves sometimes use. Maybe this ability deals more damage for each subsequent hit (like Rapid Strikes), or has execute scaling damage.
    • Focus Scripts: Physical Damage or Bleed Damage
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Damage Over Time, Snare, or Extend Werewolf Transformation
    • Affix Scripts: Interrupt, Maim, or Breach
  • Hunter's Grounds — A ground AoE effect, similar to Cleansing Ritual. The idea is to make this skill thematic to Hircine and The Hunting Grounds.
    • Focus Scripts: Magic Damage, Poison Damage, Pull, Immobilize, Healing, or Damage Shield
    • Signature Scripts: Class Mastery, Damage Over Time, Snare, Healing, Extend Werewolf Transformation, or Defiance (Purge)
    • Affix Scripts: Expedition, Resolve, Courage, Intellect and Endurance, Breach, or Magickasteal
What do you think of these ideas? Which ideas would you come up with for Werewolf Grimoires? And which of the existing Werewolf skills would you swap out for them?

@ZOS_Kevin @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler Would you pass along some of these ideas to the Scribing team? I'm sure they already have ideas in mind, but maybe the ideas in this thread can help the team brainstorm better ideas? I'm really looking forward to using the Scribing system, and I'd love to also be able to use it with my werewolf character, too.
Edited by Erickson9610 on April 13, 2024 3:08PM
PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak

(Scribing) Which Werewolf skill would you swap out for a Werewolf Grimoire? 10 votes

Pounce (gap closer with execute scaling DoT component)
10%
brtomkin 1 vote
Hircine's Bounty (health scaling self heal)
0%
Roar (AoE fear)
40%
SheezabeastErickson9610IncultaWolfautocookies 4 votes
Piercing Howl (single target projectile spammable)
20%
Fischbluthuskandhunger 2 votes
Infectious Claws (AoE spammable with DoT component)
0%
None Of The Above (Would rather not use a Werewolf Grimoire)
30%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOjoerginoerdYrrson 3 votes
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭
    Piercing Howl (single target projectile spammable)
    Given Piercing howl is a projectile that has travel time and is often easily dodged (doged hehe) I could see myself going with another ability that at least could hit maybe more consistently
    Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roar (AoE fear)
    Given Piercing howl is a projectile that has travel time and is often easily dodged (doged hehe) I could see myself going with another ability that at least could hit maybe more consistently

I agree, that'd be my second choice for Werewolf ability to swap out. I'd much rather have a proper biting animation than a projectile via Piercing Howl. The projectile gets dodged easily and it targets the ice wall that certain NPCs cast, so it's always an annoying skill to work with.

I voted to swap out Roar because it's generally not used in PvE (why would a damage dealer need a crowd control ability when the tank is supposed to be the one stunning enemies?) but it is useful in PvP. I'd hope that a Werewolf Grimoire would have a Script to stun or fear enemies, but if not, I'd keep Roar and swap out Piercing Howl for a Werewolf Grimoire; possibly using a combination of Scripts to deal damage to enemies while healing me over time.

Options
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roar (AoE fear)
    Given the changes to Roar and Piercing Howl on the PTS, where the two skills synergize, I'd consider swapping Infectious Claws for a damage dealing Werewolf Grimoire, or swapping Hircine's Bounty for a support/healing Werewolf Grimoire.

Now that Werewolf has an in-kit method of taunting enemies via Deafening Roar, I don't suppose a Taunt Script is as necessary for a Werewolf Grimoire, but it wouldn't hurt to have options.

Options