The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Just build TTC into the game

disky
disky
✭✭✭
I don't expect ZOS to create an auction house system, but I find it absurd that anyone with limited time and an abundance of reason should be forced to use an external website to check vendor stock and prices. TTC is a valuable resource but let's be honest, it's run by someone from outside ZOS and it's laden with ads and trackers that I would rather avoid. Those who still wish to travel from vendor to vendor and shop can still do so, but give us a way to search vendors in the way that TTC provides, please. It's well within ZOS' power to do so and it would be such a nice improvement to quality of life.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would that work on console then?
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »

The same way it works in EVE Online.
    You can browse thru the prices in the Alliance or neutral zone, but yo still must travel to the trader to pick up your goods.
    The game offers everything: min, max, average prices, sales volumes, history and trends.
    All by "out-of-the-box" ingame features.
    I have no doubts Zenimax saw this, though in game with addons developers are not obliged to finalize theirs products, as there are volunteer addon-makers, who work for free and fill the gaps. In this case, Consoles are the issue, though.
    PC EU
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    well, the question would be, is it cost effective for ZOS to designate time and resources to replace something that already is a part of the PC games, and serves the exact same function?

:#
  • Elyu
    Elyu
    ✭✭✭
    Agree.

The lack of central auction house is one of ESO's defining features, but it makes it oh so much more difficult for both buyers and sellers.
    Buyers: either pay high prices at one of the popular trade locations (Craglorn, Vivec city, Mournhold etc) or spend an inordinate amount of time searching for possibility the item you are looking for is being sold in some remote corner of Tamriel.
    Sellers: Either you're a part of the big trade guilds and have to pay weekly fees (not a problem if you're a 'big seller') or risk not being able to sell anything other than the most popular items.

If TTC were integrated into the game it would force the big guilds to be more competitive on price, as now they would have competition from smaller guilds, who otherwise wouldn't be able to compete (due to not being able to afford the bid cost of popular locations).
    Popular locations would still remain popular as the no.1 reason for their popularity is their ease of access to Wayshrines + town services
  • tauriel01
    tauriel01
    ✭✭✭✭
    disky wrote: »
    I don't expect ZOS to create an auction house system, but I find it absurd that anyone with limited time and an abundance of reason should be forced to use an external website to check vendor stock and prices. TTC is a valuable resource but let's be honest, it's run by someone from outside ZOS and it's laden with ads and trackers that I would rather avoid. Those who still wish to travel from vendor to vendor and shop can still do so, but give us a way to search vendors in the way that TTC provides, please. It's well within ZOS' power to do so and it would be such a nice improvement to quality of life.

OMG please, of all the trading tools THAT monstrosity is the last one I would want installed anywhere on my desktop. Even if we only consider the in-game tool, it doesn't filter outliers. How easy is THAT to manipulate prices? Very. You see it every day. The website is abominable. Where to start.... can't use the website unless you completely remove any semblance of protection on your browser (mozilla, even with ad blocking turned off, isn't allowed--how scary is THAT thought?). You only get 10 results per page then it's recaptcha after recaptcha. The filters aren't on the same page as the results, so if you want to adjust something, it's back to the search page. Ads freaking everywhere. It's pretty crappy.

I would MUCH rather reward a clean, useful, tool that doesn't have any of these problems like ESO-Hub trading tool.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »

You can browse thru the prices in the Alliance or neutral zone, but yo still must travel to the trader to pick up your goods.
    The game offers everything: min, max, average prices, sales volumes, history and trends.
    I have no doubts Zenimax saw this, though in game with addons developers are not obliged to finalize theirs products, as there are volunteer addon-makers, who work for free and fill the gaps. In this case, Consoles are the issue, though.

Actually it’s the lack of api extracting information that’s the issue.

FWIW I agree, console needs this. And cmx. But since we’ve been on about that for 6-7 years or so and it’s not happening it’s unlikely ever to

• FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭

Likely via an API.
    Edited by FelisCatus on March 25, 2024 2:34PM
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elyu wrote: »
    Agree.

The lack of central auction house is one of ESO's defining features, but it makes it oh so much more difficult for both buyers and sellers.
    Buyers: either pay high prices at one of the popular trade locations (Craglorn, Vivec city, Mournhold etc) or spend an inordinate amount of time searching for possibility the item you are looking for is being sold in some remote corner of Tamriel.
    Sellers: Either you're a part of the big trade guilds and have to pay weekly fees (not a problem if you're a 'big seller') or risk not being able to sell anything other than the most popular items.

If TTC were integrated into the game it would force the big guilds to be more competitive on price, as now they would have competition from smaller guilds, who otherwise wouldn't be able to compete (due to not being able to afford the bid cost of popular locations).
    Popular locations would still remain popular as the no.1 reason for their popularity is their ease of access to Wayshrines + town services

I agree completely, it's one of the reasons I hate how there is no central trading hub.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think there should be a global search option for an item and then it shows where you can buy it and for what price. The traveling and setting up of vendors is fine, but there really should be a universal tool to search for stuff.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »

lol i wish i had played the market side of Eve.

Instead I ran with people like Code. and Safety just blowing stuff up with Catalysts.

TTC being implemented directly into ESO would be useful, but unfortunately I don't see it ever happening.
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before I found out about TTC I never bought anything from guild traders except very rarely from my own guild.

I know this system has some benefits for hardcore traders who are willing to spend hours hunting down cheap items to resell at convenient traders for a mark-up, but if you just want to buy things you need it's a complete waste of time.

I don't care about having to go to the trader to buy, if keeping that restriction makes the trading guilds happy then whatever. But I absolutely do not want to waste my time trawling round traders hoping to stumble across the item I want by blind luck with no guarentee it will be sold for anything like a reasonable price if I find it at all. It's a complete waste of time I'd much rather spend on actually playing the game.

If ZOS could build a way to search all traders into the game that would be a vast improvement (and if it was ZOS doing it they'd be able to offer it on consoles too because it wouldn't require running 3rd party software).
    tauriel01 wrote: »

OMG please, of all the trading tools THAT monstrosity is the last one I would want installed anywhere on my desktop. Even if we only consider the in-game tool, it doesn't filter outliers. How easy is THAT to manipulate prices? Very. You see it every day. The website is abominable. Where to start.... can't use the website unless you completely remove any semblance of protection on your browser (mozilla, even with ad blocking turned off, isn't allowed--how scary is THAT thought?). You only get 10 results per page then it's recaptcha after recaptcha. The filters aren't on the same page as the results, so if you want to adjust something, it's back to the search page. Ads freaking everywhere. It's pretty crappy.

I would MUCH rather reward a clean, useful, tool that doesn't have any of these problems like ESO-Hub trading tool.

I agree that it would be better for ZOS to provide a fully functional trade system, but I haven't had any of the problems you've listed.

I use Firefox exclusively and I've never had a problem using the TTC website. Yes there's adverts, but they're the standard Google plugin half the sites on the internet use (ESOUI.com for example) which also means the adverts you see are based on your browsing history and cookies you've accepted from other sites. (I never allow cookies if I can avoid them so I just get random shopping sites.)

I'm not sure why the recaptcha thing is a problem, I see that message for a second or two while the page is loading then it's gone. I suppose if you're going through a lot of pages it could get annoying, but I rarely need to check more than 2 or 3 to find the item I want. I suppose maybe it could show more results on one page, but as I said I almost always find what I'm looking for in the first few pages so again it's not a big deal.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    Before I found out about TTC I never bought anything from guild traders except very rarely from my own guild.

I know this system has some benefits for hardcore traders who are willing to spend hours hunting down cheap items to resell at convenient traders for a mark-up, but if you just want to buy things you need it's a complete waste of time.

I don't care about having to go to the trader to buy, if keeping that restriction makes the trading guilds happy then whatever. But I absolutely do not want to waste my time trawling round traders hoping to stumble across the item I want by blind luck with no guarentee it will be sold for anything like a reasonable price if I find it at all. It's a complete waste of time I'd much rather spend on actually playing the game.

If ZOS could build a way to search all traders into the game that would be a vast improvement (and if it was ZOS doing it they'd be able to offer it on consoles too because it wouldn't require running 3rd party software).

I agree that it would be better for ZOS to provide a fully functional trade system, but I haven't had any of the problems you've listed.

I use Firefox exclusively and I've never had a problem using the TTC website. Yes there's adverts, but they're the standard Google plugin half the sites on the internet use (ESOUI.com for example) which also means the adverts you see are based on your browsing history and cookies you've accepted from other sites. (I never allow cookies if I can avoid them so I just get random shopping sites.)

I'm not sure why the recaptcha thing is a problem, I see that message for a second or two while the page is loading then it's gone. I suppose if you're going through a lot of pages it could get annoying, but I rarely need to check more than 2 or 3 to find the item I want. I suppose maybe it could show more results on one page, but as I said I almost always find what I'm looking for in the first few pages so again it's not a big deal.

TTC is bad for one issue. It doesn't show all listings. IIRC it only shows listings of those who have the addon installed. That's why you see limited listings and often out of date listings. Also you're not likely to get the best deals either. If you have the addon it boosts your listings because they get shown on the site whereas people who don't have the addon don't get seen. This is what I was told at least and it does make sense.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FelisCatus wrote: »

TTC is bad for one issue. It doesn't show all listings. IIRC it only shows listings of those who have the addon installed. That's why you see limited listings and often out of date listings. Also you're not likely to get the best deals either. If you have the addon it boosts your listings because they get shown on the site whereas people who don't have the addon don't get seen. This is what I was told at least and it does make sense.

It's true that TTC mainly gets data from people using the addon and client, although it's also possible to manually add listings (which is how it has data for consoles), but it's not true that it only shares their listings. If you're using it then any guild traders you look at are included. If you just run normal searches it will only include the items you searched for, but there's also an option to 'scan' traders which will record all the items currently listed.

I scan my guild's store most days (just after updating my listings) so anyone in the same guild as me will have their sales listed. I normally have it running when I'm buying stuff as well, so the traders I look at will get a little update. I don't typically scan other traders though because bigger guilds can have a lot of listings and then it takes a lot of time. (Mine's a social guild where using the trader is optional, so only some people list stuff.)

You're right that it won't show everything and might not be up to date though. That's why I'd prefer ZOS to include the functionality in the game itself, they'd be able to do it much better than an addon can. But for now it's the best option available if you don't want to spend ages checking traders basically at random to find an item.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well hey @Danikat , haven't seen you around in a while. Thrilled to see you're still at least forum-active. Not common to see folks from the 2014 gang around these days. (I waited...like 3 years to get on the forums so I'm 2017 despite being launch/2014 myself x_x ) . Hope you're well.
    That's why I'd prefer ZOS to include the functionality in the game itself, they'd be able to do it much better than an addon can. But for now it's the best option available if you don't want to spend ages checking traders basically at random to find an item.

As for this though, I agree. There are many more pressing issues (as important as this one might be to us) that need to be addressed before this is messed with. I hope this is addressed eventually , but it will likely be a back-burner item until the more critical things are sorted.
    Edited by LadyLavina on March 25, 2024 7:20PM
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    LadyLavina wrote: »
    As for this though, I agree. There are many more pressing issues (as important as this one might be to us) that need to be addressed before this is messed with. I hope this is addressed eventually , but it will likely be a back-burner item until the more critical things are sorted.

I agree, there are things that I would prioritize over this, but if we don't talk about it, it will never change.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 12:43AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Curious as to If this could be a new gold sink. How much gold would you be willing to pay to do a search?

Also, keep in mind that ZOS likely wouldn't implement TTC as it stands into the game. There would be cool downs and there would be exclusions and it might not work the same way. Based on how other addons have been implemented and changed I would guess rhat a global cool down with a 15 to 20 minute buffer would be as best we would get, assuming that the servers code could handle the query updates.

That said the recent guild history changes don't give me much assurance that it would be as easy an implementation as people seem to assume.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Comment deleted as my views and opinions are not relevant to ZoS.
    Edited by CGPsaint on April 19, 2024 12:43AM
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Alastrine
    Alastrine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elyu wrote: »
    Agree.

For one, the idea of fees is false. I belong to 2 very big, very well placed guilds and neither one of them charges a thing in fees. And not everyone in them is a 'big' seller either, but due to their locations it's not hard to be one for sure. You just have to shop around and then be prepared to possibly be on a wait list to get in to this type of guild.

Second, as someone else pointed out TTC only collects info off guilds that players with the addons visit. Most won't be going to all the small, out of the way traders, so those smaller guilds will still be left off the map - and won't be involved in any price competition or comparison. They still won't be competing with the major guilds. It'll be no different than the search results you get by going to the TTC website which anyone can do now. It's not going to show those items in the 'remote corner of Tamriel' anyway.
    Unless the program is changed to pull the trader info from within the game itself, from all the listings it won't mean a thing.... and I don't see ZoS devoting resources to that at all.

To be honest, in my experience, the out of the way small guilds often have the highest prices and I get the best ones at the larger trading zones - because they are competing with each other. Smaller ones often have hardly any inventory as well.

Then it would be just one more thing that would break and malfunction.
    I'd much rather they devoted their time to fixing something else that is already broken or developing something else.

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    I just think there should be a global search option for an item and then it shows where you can buy it and for what price. The traveling and setting up of vendors is fine, but there really should be a universal tool to search for stuff.

I would prefer a central board in each zone that lists only items in that zone. There would be no prices listed only the location. That way players just wanting the item no matter cost can go to most convenient location and grab it. Players looking for a bargain would need to do some hopping. Not listing prices would allow players that enjoy hunting down bargains to be flipped the opportunity. Flipping is end game for a lot of players and a big part of the daily activities of other players so it wouldn't be good for the game to take that away.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    No thank you. i trust the creators of TTC with their code and no one else.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭

You trust someone who you've never met, who runs a website chock full of ads and trackers, which frequently asks you to overcome captchas and sometimes doesn't even work over Zenimax Online Studios, the company which built the game you're here to play and discuss? You trust a third-party that is dependent on an in-game add-on for data when that information is readily available to ZOS and could be provided more consistently and dependably?

Why?
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »
    Curious as to If this could be a new gold sink

If it were, people wouldn't use it. TTC, while less appealing, is free.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So make it "better". The idea is to provide the details IN THE GAME! Tell me where to go NOW to find something, not push me to an external site (PC) or randomly traveling around (console).

Yeah, we will likely never have a central AH, but the modern system has serious drawbacks to all but those who play the "run around to guild vendors" game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You trust someone who you've never met, who runs a website chock full of ads and trackers, which frequently asks you to overcome captchas and sometimes doesn't even work over Zenimax Online Studios, the company which built the game you're here to play and discuss? You trust a third-party that is dependent on an in-game add-on for data when that information is readily available to ZOS and could be provided more consistently and dependably?

Why?

Let's be fair here. The ads exist to support the upkeep of the website and an incentive to keep it going. Also, as far as trust goes the same factors that you apply to an unknown individual(s) that ttc site can also apply to ZOS. We hope we can trust ZOS more, but trust is relative and subjective. Place your trust with caution

A more important consideration is that ttc authors are not under any obligation TO keep it going. Zos would be. Which ultimately means ZOS has more risk involved with any new thing they do, and they have to apply a cost and upkeep consideration to it.

A good example: dressing room is an addon that saved builds and allows you to equip them. ZOS Implemented this as the Armory system. I would like to draw your attention to how it was implemented and how it was monetized.

I can see this feature added to the game, but can also see its use being tied to eso+ or some other monetized method, and/or be watered down or restricted in its use.

As a general observation from my nearly a decade here. If zos adds a feature we want, it's not always implemented HOW we want it to be. So caution is advised when making requests, because the end result may be enough different from what we wanted that it could be considered worse.
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ this post above says all and more
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

Why?

Let's be fair here....
    ^^ this post above says all and more

It never ceases to baffle me when people boldly step up and demand an inferior solution or nothing at all when someone suggests that ZOS do something to improve the game in some way. This kind of behavior is a big part of why ZOS chooses not to make improvements to the game - they've said as much in letters to the community. Reinforced complacency is equal to stagnation in an MMO, and ESO is suffering for it as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind, I am not telling you that you can't play with the toys you have now.

Yes, ZOS would have to maintain the system, but it's relatively hands-off once it gets going. The system calls inventory tables and displays them in a form. Players can search and use the form, and then travel to the appropriate vendor to make a purchase. Exactly how TTC works right now, except it's internal and we don't have to deal with ads and trackers. And by the way, I truly do not care that the ads contribute to supporting the site. If I can have an internal system supported by ZOS itself, I will drop TTC in a heartbeat. I understand that it may be this person's livelihood, but it's bonkers that we have to result to this kind of solution when ZOS is more than capable of implementing something as good or better.

And as far as tying it to Plus is concerned, that would be silly because no one would use it. Everyone would continue using TTC anyway.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This wouldn't be an "improvement" for me. I don't use TTC because I don't sell on traders, and it's pretty rare I buy on them. But the devs spending time on this would mean something I WOULD use might not be added.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    This wouldn't be an "improvement" for me. I don't use TTC because I don't sell on traders, and it's pretty rare I buy on them. But the devs spending time on this would mean something I WOULD use might not be added.

Thank you for your input, but I would argue that a significant portion of the population, if not a majority, uses TTC and could benefit from an in-game solution which draws directly from ZOS' own data rather than relying on the players who have installed the tracking add-on and use an unreliable website which serves you advertisements and tracks your browsing habits.
    Edited by disky on March 26, 2024 3:30AM
  • ClowdyAllDay
    ClowdyAllDay
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

Thank you for your input, but I would argue that a significant portion of the population, if not a majority, uses TTC and could benefit from an in-game solution which draws directly from ZOS' own data rather than relying on the players who have installed the tracking add-on and use an unreliable website which serves you advertisements and tracks your browsing habits.

are you just gonna spam us with that singular thought process the whole way down the page then? f so i'll simply move on to another topic. nothing to see here...