The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Anyone else notice a change to holding down buttons in gamepad mode?

AzuraFan
AzuraFan
✭✭✭✭✭
Since yesterday's patch, I have to hold down buttons longer on my controller for the right action to happen. For example, the same button is required for the map and for getting on a mount. The only difference is the length of time you have to hold down the button. Tap brings up the map, and holding the button will cause the character to get on a mount. Since yesterday's patch, I've noticed that I have to hold down the button longer than I used to when I want to ride a mount, otherwise the map comes up.

The same is happening with stuff like holding down the X button to craft multiple items. I have to hold it longer.

Just wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I'm using an XBOX-type controller on the PC.
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this applies to your controller here but there was a known issue if you use external controller software:

Gamepad Mode causing framerate drops

Disable any 3rd party controller support applications. In U41 we added PS4 controller support for PC. Using a controller with a 3rd party controller support application causes double input, which causes framerate issue.
    Options
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    Since yesterday's patch, I have to hold down buttons longer on my controller for the right action to happen. For example, the same button is required for the map and for getting on a mount. The only difference is the length of time you have to hold down the button. Tap brings up the map, and holding the button will cause the character to get on a mount. Since yesterday's patch, I've noticed that I have to hold down the button longer than I used to when I want to ride a mount, otherwise the map comes up.

The same is happening with stuff like holding down the X button to craft multiple items. I have to hold it longer.

Just wondering if it's just me or if anyone else has noticed the same thing. I'm using an XBOX-type controller on the PC.

Yes, I noticed that something was off when trying to perform a multi deconstruct using a gamepad. I'm used to how long it takes to hold down 'X' to initiate the multi deconstruct but for some reason the multi deconstruct screen wasn't popping up by the time I'd hit 'A' and I would have to start again. Mounting has also been off using a controller as you've described.
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baertram wrote: »
    Not sure if this applies to your controller here but there was a known issue if you use external controller software:

Gamepad Mode causing framerate drops

Disable any 3rd party controller support applications. In U41 we added PS4 controller support for PC. Using a controller with a 3rd party controller support application causes double input, which causes framerate issue.

I'm not using any third-party software and my framerate is fine. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I had many issues rezzing and trading with other players last night. At first they wouldn’t work at all, then after a restart they began to work but too way too long to initiate. Tab targeting was also taking so long that the target would often move away, causing the tab targeting to fail. It made for a very poor experience in a HM prog.

I had already stopped using DS4Windows, since Kevin explained that would interfere.
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! I thought I was going crazy.

Really have to press longer to decon multiple items, but haven't really noticed it for mounting.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Lord_Graas
    Lord_Graas
    ✭✭✭
    Same for me (PS4 pad). And I'm not using any 3rd party controller support applications.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    HI all, follow up question. Are you running things through Steam?

If you are, it might be Steam Controller being an issue. Could you try the following to disable it and see if it helps in reducing button hold times? Link to disable Steam controller here.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not running through Steam and Steam input is turned off. I know that for sure because I have a second controller that doesn't work with ESO (buttons are all mapped wrong) when Steam input is turned on. For those that don't know, even when you're not running a game through Steam, if Steam is running in the background, it will handle controller input for ALL your games. I discovered this when I was trying to figure out the ESO problem.

[EDITED because I said the issue had gone away for me, but it hasn't. See my later post.]
    Edited by AzuraFan on March 12, 2024 8:29PM
    Options
  • Lord_Graas
    Lord_Graas
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

If you are, it might be Steam Controller being an issue. Could you try the following to disable it and see if it helps in reducing button hold times? Link to disable Steam controller here.

Yes, I'm running ESO through Steam. I disabled the steam controller and it seems to solve the problem. Thanks.
    Update. Now the vibration function of my PS4 gamepad doesn't work.
    Edited by Lord_Graas on March 12, 2024 5:58PM
    Options
  • LatentBuzzard
    LatentBuzzard
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, I'm not running through Steam and am not using any third party controller software.
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not running through steam, either. Or using any other 3rd party controller software.
    Options
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    didn't notice any change with xbox controller on PC. I disabled steam controller and rewsad.
    Options
  • mzprx
    mzprx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am experiencing the issue as well. but it's ALWAYS your fault, or it's your controller, or Steam, or your internet, NEVER theirs. even though everything was working fine yesterday and you haven't changed anything..
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went back into the game, and I think the issue is still there for me. I think what's happened is that I've already adjusted to the increased button hold time, but I don't like it. It's harder on the hands.
    Edited by AzuraFan on March 12, 2024 8:30PM
    Options
  • balltongue_
    balltongue_
    ✭✭
    Experienced this today when trying to resurrect and putting a marker on a target. Feels like the time for the press and hold bind got modified.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    mzprx wrote: »
    i am experiencing the issue as well. but it's ALWAYS your fault, or it's your controller, or Steam, or your internet, NEVER theirs. even though everything was working fine yesterday and you haven't changed anything..

No one is trying to blame anyone. We are trying to narrow options down to see if we can nail down the issue and resolve it. We can't assist if we don't have details to go off of.
    Edited by ZOS_Kevin on March 12, 2024 8:58PM
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Faulgor wrote: »

I'm not running through steam, either. Or using any other 3rd party controller software.

Thanks for clarifying. What kind of controller are you using?
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »

Yes, I noticed that something was off when trying to perform a multi deconstruct using a gamepad. I'm used to how long it takes to hold down 'X' to initiate the multi deconstruct but for some reason the multi deconstruct screen wasn't popping up by the time I'd hit 'A' and I would have to start again. Mounting has also been off using a controller as you've described.

I'm experiencing the same thing as well, the button press for deconstructing takes longer (and like someone else said, these actions are intuitive after so long that any difference is easily noticed). I'm using a PS4 controller with gamepad UI and no 3rd party applications (as instructed after the update). There's clearly something changed in the input timings.
    Options
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    xbox one(?) black micro usb port wireless - (shows no update available, normally can push latest - but now no i can't, through xbox accessories) - select button aka map/mount requires longer hold to respond.

elite 2 - no problems. (surely updated as i'm using it with xsx)

(steam, overlay is off, didn't install rewasd on this pc)
    Options
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using a Logitech F310 wired gamepad.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

No, I don’t run Steam at all when I’m running ESO.

I am using a DS4. I cannot connect through Bluetooth at all, so I am using it wired. I removed DS4Windows (including the appdata), so I have no third party drivers.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Thanks! Getting this info over to the team now. For anyone else looking to provide information, the following would be helpful.
    • Have you disabled any and all 3rd party controller software?
    • If you are using Steam, have you disabled the Steam controller settings?
    • What kind of controller are you using?
    Options
    Staff Post
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started up the game without the 3rd party controller program, I can't even sheathe weapons despite the setting in controls being set correctly. This controller support should be optional, not a mandatory requirement we stop using a reliable program like we have been for years.
    Edited by alternatelder on March 12, 2024 10:15PM
    Options
  • Bithabus
    Bithabus
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, when I summon my mount I have to hold down the button for about twice as long now. No steam, factory X Box controller
    Options
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly related, but since the patch I've been having a new issue where if I shut down ESO and later re open it without restarting my PC, it will no longer recogniz
    Thanks! Getting this info over to the team now. For anyone else looking to provide information, the following would be helpful.

I'm also experiencing this issue (hold-to-activate inputs taking longer to register). This appears to be affecting trigger inputs for medium/heavy weaving as well.

Tested this with an Xbox Elite v2, Scuf Envision, Scuf Instinct Pro, and a T4K kaleid. The issue is present with all of them. I disabled the software I use for both the elite v2 and the instinct pro, and still had the isssue. The T4K kaleid and scuf envision both require their own proprietary programs to function on PC (gamesir T4K app and Corsair ICUE), so I cannot disable those programs to test. But given that the issue appears to be present when using my other controllers with the 3rd party programs disabled, I'd assume that this specific issue is not like the framerate bug from the other thread.

I do not use steam to launch ESO, and I've made sure that steam is not running whatsoever when doing all of the aforementioned testing.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
    Options
  • LokiPagan
    LokiPagan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I noticed that too yesterday, thought maybe I was just imagining it. I am running the game through steam, using Power-A controller. Seems to be update related, affecting people regardless of Steam or not...
    Options
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Today Victory is mine, Long Live the Empire. GG
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Thanks for clarifying. What kind of controller are you using?

I'm using the Starfield Limited Edition controller, connected via bluetooth. :)

51JxQBFIl4L.jpg
    Options
  • balltongue_
    balltongue_
    ✭✭

@ZOS_Kevin
    No 3rd party controller applications.
    Not running the game with steam.
    I’m using a DualShock 4 (PS4) controller with cable.

Before the update I felt like the time to hold down a button was similar on keyboard and controller, for instance marking a target (tab on keyboard or right arrow on controller). Now the hold must be much longer on controller than on the keyboard.
    I hope this is not intended.
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    I hope this is not intended.

It is not intended. We are working to resolve this. The feedback in this thread has been helpful in crossing out some possible issues. The investigation continues.
    Options
    Staff Post