The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, please don't change the character selection screen colors

Dragonnord
Dragonnord
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It looks so good! It seems it's not only the new colors and lightning, but also the resolution, quality or whatever you did that looks so great and revamped.

Please, do not take it back.

In any case, give players the option to use the old style or this new style that, again, looks awesome.

EDIT: Added these images below. If you compare them to some other images in this same thread, these ones looks a lot better.

So the players that posted images that look bad should check and adjust their video settings.

5b2onip66fsa.jpg

16r12jfri25w.jpg

17le3c8llf4b.jpg

Edited by Dragonnord on March 12, 2024 7:33PM
SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Natakiro
    Natakiro
    ✭✭✭
    This so much; I absolutely love the new background on the character screen, everything about it is so nice! I would love a way to select the background, we can already pick the music that plays; why not the backdrop, too?

It looks SO GOOD, I want to keep it forever
    image.png?ex=6601ed6f&is=65ef786f&hm=839dd6d465db815efa398105ce9f73cf41cdbc0ad684e8a2071d5429aec7df67&
    PC-NA | Play on Desktop, Steam Deck, VR via vorpX
  • taurielxaela
    taurielxaela
    ✭✭
    I love it so much! The colors and lighting are gorgeous~ I would love a wallpaper version of the main title screen. The Rift is my favorite area in Skyrim and this definitely has the autumn vibe I love!

xyqn0qa77bov.png
    Sariel Melianme - Bosmer Warden Ranger Bow/Bow
    Pastel-ri - Khajiit Nightblade Assassin Dual Wield Daggers
    Lunaria Bloom - Altmer Warden Healer Res/Frost Staff
    Big Nord Waifu - Nord Templar Greataxe Wielder
    Monsieur L’Shrek - Orc Dragonknight Greatsword Wielder
    Shizumi Moonshadow - Khajiit Nightblade Thief Dual Daggers/Bow
    Chases-Many-Lasers - Khajiit Arcanist Pew Pew Kitty
    Salvia Virian - Dunmer Nightblade Assassin Dual Daggers/Bow
    Emi Tauriel - Bosmer Nightblade Assassin Dual Daggers/Bow

… Yes I have a favorite build.
  • carthalis
    carthalis
    ✭✭✭
    I love it as well and think it looks fantastic
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Letting us change the background for each character would be pretty cool, everyone gets to be happy and also it'd be nice for roleplay/immersion. Either way, this new background is probably the best one yet.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Dax_Draconis
    Dax_Draconis
    ✭✭✭
    I like it too.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like it too! Also really enjoy the new intro theme — it’s a nice nod to the original ESO theme (which I assume was deliberate, for the ten year anniversary).
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    689hhgd9b6rv.png

This is what it looked like before I made some changes. Trees look like flames.

9x32kiafidl6.png

2 Changes were made. I turned down the TV brightness and added a DoF simple.

Trees look like trees and no performance loss. I can live with it like this.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep the colours but tone them down, that's all that is needed. Plus learning from the response to it in time so as not totally to mess up the Gold Road chapter's landscape.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love the new background and the intense colors, its absolutely gorgeous. I see no need for a change at all! My graphics card and monitor are rendering the whole thing beautifully.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm good with it. While red, orange, and yellow are not my favorite colors (far from it), I LOVE autumn, and the colors of all the trees and bushes in the autumn are just.... perfect for the season. Since I really have no use for spring and summer, I'd LOVE to keep this "looks and feels like brilliant autumn" character screen forever....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everyone likes bright colors. It make my eyes tired pretty quickly looking at it. I would be happy if they gave us a brightness slider.
    PCNA
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    It would look a lot better without the heavy fog. It reminds me of Guild Wars for some reason. I'm thinking the zone Ascalon, but it's been a while.
    Not everyone likes bright colors. It make my eyes tired pretty quickly looking at it. I would be happy if they gave us a brightness slider.
    There is a gamma slider in the video settings, but I'm not aware of a way to reduce saturation without using something like reshade or maybe the nvidia overlay.
    Edited by Ignotus on March 12, 2024 3:28AM
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love autumn colors, but this...yikes.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised people say it looks good, because if you look at it without a lot of bloom and depth of field hiding and blurring it with pretty light, the texture and models in the background are pretty bad. The leaves on the trees and some bushes are also unnaturally saturated and looks like someone missed them and only added a bright base colour, or forgot do some adjustments. Makes it look cartoony.

Not to mention how the harsh and colour intense light from the back will make some characters look terrible.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change the background colors?

New crown store exclusive background colors!
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignotus wrote: »
    It would look a lot better without the heavy fog. It reminds me of Guild Wars for some reason. I'm thinking the zone Ascalon, but it's been a while.
    There is a gamma slider in the video settings, but I'm not aware of a way to reduce saturation without using something like reshade or maybe the nvidia overlay.

This ^^^^

For some reason the background reminds me of the GW2 art style, which I got sick of after a few years. I don't mind all the colours and the foreground, I just hope they don't go down this route with all future art styles, making it look too similar to the GW2 art style....

PS, being that I live in NZ and we are just going in to Autumn now, I thank ZOS for this!! It is usually the wrong season of the year for us with events and such, but for once you got it right for me. :p
    Edited by Paulytnz on March 12, 2024 4:19AM
  • Kendric5
    Kendric5
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but I like the change.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it too bright and garish. I really dislike the lighting it casts on my characters faces.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it too, but it's bound to get tiring to look at by the time we're a few months in.
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surprised people are having so much extra saturation, mine looks quite subtle even with reshade on.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hate it. Too bright. Too yellow. Too orange. and the lighting is really strange. If all of Gold road incorporates these brash colors I'll just skip it.
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too over the top for me.

Best option IMO is to just add a background select tab.
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the new loading screen and agree that no change is needed.
  • Katzenzunge
    Katzenzunge
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't get with these discussions:
    How long do the "too bright, I am blind, oh lord my eyes!"-people usually stare at this screen?
    Do you sit in absolute, complete darkness all times, as to get straight up flash-banged by this?

I start the game, pick a character, and log in. It can't take more than half a minute, if I'm really slow.

How can this be so horrible, flashy, and yikes?

I love the screen and the colors on it, but as I said. I'm usually not staring at the character select screen for hours on end, maybe that would change my opinion.
    Edited by Katzenzunge on March 12, 2024 9:54AM
  • Ardriel
    Ardriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can find this beautiful. The bright colors make darker characters in particular, such as Dark Elves, look extremely unattractive. The landscape and the color theme itself is beautiful, no question, after all it's supposed to fit Gold Road. But it's just far too garish.1aw6g33lqvct.jpg
    but I guess I will get used to it ... eventually :|
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more I see it the more I dislike it. I was glad for a change from the mushrooms but the brightness and the excessive amount of orange is straining to look at, even for just a minute. Plus the fall colors seem so out of place. At the very least this should be toned way down.
    PCNA
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At the very least this should be toned way down.

No, it should not. It should stay as it is since it looks awesome for many.

In any case, ZOS should give the option to use old or new screen style, or give players a slider to tone it down, but not tone it down for everyone since a lot of us love it as it is now.

SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Masteroshi430
    Masteroshi430
    ✭✭✭
    Ardriel wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone can find this beautiful. The bright colors make darker characters in particular, such as Dark Elves, look extremely unattractive. The landscape and the color theme itself is beautiful, no question, after all it's supposed to fit Gold Road. But it's just far too garish.1aw6g33lqvct.jpg
    but I guess I will get used to it ... eventually :|

It is an artistic contre-jour effect...
    @Masteroshi430 PC/EU (old French guy playing in English & addon author/maintainer) My addons
    Deshaan Honeydew Hors D'Oeuvre <<< FIX THAT TYPO GODDAMMIT!
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The harsh lighting makes all my toons heavily shadowed and ugly.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • AllegedParadigm
    AllegedParadigm
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, but I feel it distorts colors of my characters a bit.
    PC/NA August 2020 | Aldmeri Dominion - Grand Overlord & Former Empress | Koritha Larethian, Yaeli al-Iskour, Vaynth Andalen, Cylthia Oakthorn