The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do players jump like monkeys in PvP?

CountonMe
CountonMe
✭✭✭
I was strictly PvE but since I have nothing left to do on the PvE side (I already farmed all the sets I want) I started to play PvP during MYM. In the BGs, I saw ppl (not all, but a lot) were just jumping and jumping and jumping. Why? Is that a "I'm cool" thing? Let me know. I want to be hip like the PvP crowd. Thanks.
  • Aorys
    Aorys
    ✭✭✭
    to benefit of the high latency and make it harder to hit them
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its out of habit for raising my skills in older tes games, which carried on to eso and non tes games
    Edited by Aliyavana on March 6, 2024 4:04PM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being targeted and targeting others mostly. Also, some do it for cadence, others for habit. Offers little to no advantage. It also occurs in PVE just less often. IMHO
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not in my case, but it serves as a big warning sign saying this is a pro and Do not engage unless you have 4 vs 1
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought it's their habit from some other MMORPG.
  • CountonMe
    CountonMe
    ✭✭✭
    Aorys wrote: »

That's funny. All the jumping actually drew attention to themselves and I found myself focusing on them. I had fun with PvP. I'll be doing a lot more of it now. I already made a few builds but I'll be waiting until U41 launches before making more. Not sure what the changes will bring. But there is nothing like the feeling of a freshly golded set with prismatics. :)
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you perform an attack on an enemy, depending on the attack, it requires your crosshair to be more or less on top of the character model (Which is why for some large enemies if your crosshair is between their legs your attacks might not be triggering, see ash titan in round 9 of maelstrom arena).

Jumping up and down moves their player model, so for targeted attacks there's a possibility it may make a person "miss" when they press an ability button if their crosshairs isn't following them.

Generally speaking it's not effective against good players and just makes it easier to stomp bad players while making it look silly for everyone.
  • Aorys
    Aorys
    ✭✭✭
    CountonMe wrote: »

That's funny. All the jumping actually drew attention to themselves and I found myself focusing on them. I had fun with PvP. I'll be doing a lot more of it now. I already made a few builds but I'll be waiting until U41 launches before making more. Not sure what the changes will bring. But there is nothing like the feeling of a freshly golded set with prismatics. :)

pvp is nice when you are built for it, and even better if you have a couple friends by your side :)
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was strictly PvE but since I have nothing left to do on the PvE side (I already farmed all the sets I want) I started to play PvP during MYM. In the BGs, I saw ppl (not all, but a lot) were just jumping and jumping and jumping. Why? Is that a "I'm cool" thing? Let me know. I want to be hip like the PvP crowd. Thanks.

They are just LAME.

Some skills and abilities are hard to hit like LA when someone is hopping like a rabbit. That is why always press tab to lock at them.

Imho jumping should cost Stamina, progressively more like the Sorcerer teleport does.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its a 'look at me I'm 'leet' thing, then the vast majority are either delusional or just bluffing
  • CountonMe
    CountonMe
    ✭✭✭
    It's also nice when you are getting 3 v 1 in IC, running around healing, doing LOS trying to survive long enough, and then a group of players from your same faction show up to even out the odds :blush:
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On console, the jumping was a way to keep your momentum while barswapping, since with default controls your left thumb would need to leave the movement joystick in order to hit left on the D pad, which was default barswap. So by jumping first, you'd continue to move during that brief moment where your left thumb left the movement joystick.

As others said, it can also make it slightly harder for inexperienced people to target you.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's an additional input when you're bored for most people I know, nothing extra to that. Like doing rotation without an aim.
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    maybe they believe if in mid air they avoid ground aoe lol
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aorys wrote: »

This is a myth. Jumping does nothing to make you harder to hit outside of extremely rare circumstances with drastic height differences.

99% of players just use it as a way to keep tempo of their abilities and LA weaving.
  • GusTheWizard
    GusTheWizard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it to help while tap blocking, it helps me to keep up timing and not waste all my Stam perma blocking
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preparing for the addition of an acrobatics skill line :)
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because jumping messes with the targeting system.
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if you've played games for a long time where bunnyhopping is an actual skill that affects the gameplay, eventually it becomes a habbit/relfex that carries over to other games, even when it doesn't give an advantage realistically.

At least that's the case for me. ~15 years of boomer shooters and I find myself bhopping in everything.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on March 6, 2024 4:31PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started doing it 25 years ago playing Unreal Tournament, just a habit I can't break. I don't jump as much when focusing on my rotation (healing in pvp for example) but it's also a way to keep my timing.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Aorys
    Aorys
    ✭✭✭

This is a myth. Jumping does nothing to make you harder to hit outside of extremely rare circumstances with drastic height differences.

99% of players just use it as a way to keep tempo of their abilities and LA weaving.

I'm not saying as it were like a cheap move. It is a good resource and widely used in fps games.
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to live past 5 seconds, jump. First thing you should learn in PVP.
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are just LAME.

Some skills and abilities are hard to hit like LA when someone is hopping like a rabbit. That is why always press tab to lock at them.

Imho jumping should cost Stamina, progressively more like the Sorcerer teleport does.

It should cost stamina and magicka in order to not benefit magicka players while only penalizing stamina ones as I have proposed some time ago.
    Alternatively each jump could just as well trigger a health regeneration delay of let's say 1s blocking any health regeneration from food, drings, skill or normal regeneration for that time.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To preserve momentum. Mainly for jumpblocking, so you can move at close to normal speed while having block down for only 0.05 seconds to jump again.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They are just LAME.

It should cost stamina and magicka in order to not benefit magicka players while only penalizing stamina ones as I have proposed some time ago.
    Alternatively each jump could just as well trigger a health regeneration delay of let's say 1s blocking any health regeneration from food, drings, skill or normal regeneration for that time.

Stamina players have put a build towards regenerating it.

Magicka users hopping around costing Stamina, are dead because they won't be able to break free at one point.
  • alaric72
    alaric72
    Soul Shriven
    to temporaly desync and don't be targeted
  • Baccarooda
    Baccarooda
    ✭✭✭
    I typically do it for rhythm, weaving it between abilities. But only on certain specs such as casters.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a habit tbh. i do it in every game so its just natural at this point
  • Duke_Falcon
    Duke_Falcon
    ✭✭✭
    As a Sorc I have to jump sometimes to get my Curse or Mages Wrath skill to hit the target. So if there's just a little bump in the road or a tiny rock between me and my target I have to jump so the "line of sight" is out of the way. I know it sounds silly but its a thing. I'm guessing its a bug in the game or something like that, but jumping helps it.
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I got adhd. I can’t help it. I like to move around 😔