The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Spamming on in-game Chat window

Grand_Wazoo
Grand_Wazoo
✭✭✭
Is there any way to prevent people from constantly spamming the chat window with advertisements for websites? Shouldn't the chat window pertain solely to in-game activities and not cater to frantic solicitations of internet scams? The occasional profane tirade is one thing, but hours of filling up the whole chat window with internet spam is something that needs to be addressed.
  • kickamyassa_ESO
    It would be a lot better if they had a gm patrol the chat, there isn't much they can do besides limiting how fast/ often a message gets sent, removing duplicate text and filtering chat so websites don't appear. With that said it will start looking like wwwdotbuymygoldnoworiwonstopdaspammendotcom. They need to start doing like 15 min ban first offense, then 24hrs and finally perma ban.
  • MaximumCat
    MaximumCat
    ✭✭
    The Gold/Website spammer issue is a big one for me. It totally destroys the sense of immersion within the game world. Bans for these spammers are a must - people are paying to play this game. If it remains an issue for too long, it will likely drive a lot of players to seek entertainment elsewhere.
  • invoker13
    invoker13
    ✭✭
    They also need an easier way to report people for spamming. Currently you have to go through several screens , not to mention when they post at the character limit, you have to adjust the font size just to see who sent it and right click their name.
  • Eleven
    Eleven
    It's an issue seen in every MMO these days. As long as people are purchasing from those sites, people will find a way to get their name out there. And in my opinion they shouldn't get more than a single warning before being banned.
    Because eleven, eight, nine.
  • ravx
    ravx
    Gold selling has no place in this game and these parasites need to be removed and disposed of. When a person reports chat spam with gold selling ads they need a person to look at the report check to see that it gold selling spam and then right there and then BAN THAT ACCOUNT no waiting no warning no anything but BANHAMMER !

Its not even official release yet and already they are out with this gold selling crap constantly flooding the chat window, One loser especially has his script spam so that you cannot see his name if you scroll up it skips the line with his name so you cannot report him unless you esc go to settings go to social go to text size reduce to 8 esc back into the game report the guy ignore the guy esc go to settings go to social text size back to 15 esc back to game and resume playing. Are you kidding me................. all that for one prick who decides to ruin my gaming time because if I don't do all that to ignore him and I need to do all that to just see his name he will continue to spam chat making zone chat useless.

Seriously you need to put your foot down hard no mercy no warning no crap at all if you spam gold selling ad crap you get the account banned permanently. Show these waste of DNA clowns who is in charge of the game and hit them with the BANHAMMER every single time they spam their garbage !!!
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always been an issue at release of every MMO. Somehow none of them are ever prepared for the gold spammers, then they eventually introduce measure that really only punish players. The game should have a simple "right click" on spammer, "report gold spammer" that goes to a live GM who "Immediately" closes and bans the account. The argument that many of the accounts are stolen does not really mean anything. If your account is stolen, no matter what you have to go through the process of calling support and going through the steps to get your account back. An instant ban with an email telling you your account is closed would let many people know right away that their account was hacked
  • Silvershroud
    Agreed. The gold spammers are really irritating. Having a GM in-game would probably be the best solution, but if nothing else, they could at least put a spam selection on the report player page and have someone who deals with everything that gets reported there right away.
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    There is an addon that can potentially help with auto-ignoring spammers; it's worked for me so far. You can do a quick google search for it, or you can find it at ESOui.
  • genebcolonb14_ESO
    would this be too insane?

block anything that begins or has 'www.' in the sentence in 'public' chat. just like an adult language filter!

if you wanna share a www. site one MUST whisper or Tell a player or group!

i approve of this!
    Edited by genebcolonb14_ESO on April 2, 2014 11:20PM
    "If I was a flag I'd have no nation-- Just the colours and the wind" -Alphaville
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    I don't think that's insane :) it's up to your preference I suppose.
  • Dominoid
    Dominoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
  • digitalprowlerb14_ESO
    would this be too insane?

block anything that begins or has 'www.' in the sentence in 'public' chat. just like an adult language filter!

if you wanna share a www. site one MUST whisper or Tell a player or group!

i approve of this!

this my friend...does not work...they just simply alter formats to bypass such filters. I have seen it in many mmos...and I've played 100s over the past decade. best way is to have an active chat monitor on the support staff. soon as a goldspam advert. goes out...poof he's banned. all gone...spend 60 more bucks to chat again. thanks for your business. then, at least we know if they continue to spam they are supporting the game financially lol