- Intent here is PVP
- Intent here is to talk about what inhibits Build Diversity on NB (more than any other class)
- Build optimization and competitiveness are critical.
: This is not a nerf-nb thread --that's a separate discussion (I'm not going to even mention Merciless Resolve in this thread). Rather than talking about what makes NB oppressive and not fun to play against, this is about what restricts NB build options.Incapacitating Strike
- Already the best single target ultimate in the game, the PTS changes further thin the argument for running anything else as your offensive ult. I see the argument that the buff to incap is there to offset the loss of Major Beserk from concealed weapon, but that creates a disparity in alternative skills. So now your Incap-Bow burst should technically be a little lower
. The problem is now Incap is even more
the run-away favorite.
- Dawnbreaker: Running DB on NB has always been much more niche and uncommon than Incap, but since the last two buffs to Incapacitating Strike, you can't justify running Incap over it.
- Soul Tether: I've always favorited Soul Tether over Incapacitating Strike because it lets you stay offensive for longer with the heal (although most people preferred Incap still) but going from 4-seconds to 8-seconds to 12-seconds with 10% more damage, the argument for running soul tether as your primary offensive ult is getting tough to make
- Onslaught: Between the damage, stun, duration, and cost, you can't argue running onslaught over Incap. Even on the tankiest of targets.
- There's two components that make this skill and its morphs so restrictive to Nightblades build diversity.
- It's ties to Major Resolve - I love the idea that Major Resolve can be granted passively in a class. It's unique and allows for a consistent offensive playstyle. The issue is that you have to run this skill if you want uptime on your resolve. Since the repetitive nerfs to Dark Cloak (I'll get to that later), unless you are consistently hiding in cloak, you're uptime on resolve is completely tied to this spammable. This rules our using Dizzy Swing, Rending Slashes, Rapid Strikes, Crushing Weapon, whatever.
- It's sheer damage and utility - If you gave up a precious monster set to run Mighty Chudan you'd still have to gimp yourself because there's no other spammable that comes remotely close to the damage and utility that either Suprise Attack or Concealed Weapon provide.
Over the past couple years, we've seen buffs to nightblades strongest skills and neglect or even nerfs to their weaker ones that offer build diversity.Dark Cloak
- For what felt like the signature skill for NB for me was essentially stripped from PvP given its mechanics. Despite players overwhelmingly choosing the other morphs, we saw three straight nerfs to skill putting it in an "unusable" space for PvP. The problem with this skill being so bad is it strips the ability to source Major Resolve with high-uptime from your class if you don't want to run Veiled Strike.Consuming Darkness
- I'll leave this blank, y'all know.
There's so little room for creativity when it come to playing NB optimally. There has to be some nerfs to these skills and then buffs
to other skills or passives that offsets those.