Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Game Imbalance - Please make 1 active Weapon Ability COST free for each Weapon

StihlReign
StihlReign
✭✭✭✭
Destro (and resto) staff has been out of step with the other weapon skill lines for quite some time.

Please make the cost of 1 active ability free, for the other weapons active abilities skill lines.
Edited by StihlReign on February 2, 2024 11:01PM
"O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    StihlReign wrote: »
    Destro (and resto) staff has been out of step with the other weapon skill lines for quite some time.

    Please make the cost of 1 active ability free, for the other weapons active abilities skill lines.

    Idk, the reason the magicka weapons have a free ability is because magicka abilities in general cost more as is.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihilr wrote: »
    StihlReign wrote: »
    Destro (and resto) staff has been out of step with the other weapon skill lines for quite some time.

    Please make the cost of 1 active ability free, for the other weapons active abilities skill lines.

    Idk, the reason the magicka weapons have a free ability is because magicka abilities in general cost more as is.

    In that case, wouldn't it be better if all Magicka abilities had their cost reduced, while Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements and their respective morphs be given a cheap cost of some kind?
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So which of your dual wield abilities do you want to sacrifice for a skill that applies Minor Maim to an enemy or something?
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭
    No sacrifices need to be made, just remove the cost from one ability in each line. It's long overdue.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

    Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

    "You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

    He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

    LoS
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varana wrote: »
    So which of your dual wield abilities do you want to sacrifice for a skill that applies Minor Maim to an enemy or something?

    Maybe Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements should be reworked to be more than just debuff skills. Give them some other utility to justify having a cost in Magicka.

    Free skills in general don't make sense. I'd argue that certain "free" skills like Bitter Harvest and Repentance are justified because they require corpses to activate — so their cost isn't in Magicka, but in corpses.

    You could argue that the cost for Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements is one GCD — but every skill has that cost, plus something else. Why not buff those skills so they do more, instead of nerfing other skills to do less?
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    StihlReign wrote: »
    No sacrifices need to be made, just remove the cost from one ability in each line. It's long overdue.

    These skills don't cost anything because they basically just debuff an enemy. (Or at least did.) If you find a similar skill in the other weapon skill lines, then fine.

    I mean, what do you actually complain about? Does anyone actually use Force Siphon?
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As pointed out, the skills that have no cast cost are status effects.

    Also, all DPS must wear medium armor for max damage and that improves stamina regen, not magicka. So it makes sense to have a useful destro staff ability that has no cast cost (the restro one I don’t think is ever used).
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a comparison of Force Siphon, Weakness to Elements, and Low Slash:

    q35yowja03ew.png

    The difference between Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements versus Low Slash is that Low Slash deals damage in addition to applying a debuff for a much shorter duration, at a much shorter range. If you say that a no cost ability is justified because it deals no damage, then how would you explain the Elemental Susceptibility morph of Weakness to Elements, which applies Burning, Chilled, and Concussed, each of which deals damage (especially considering status effects are being buffed in Update 41)?

    I think Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements should deal damage and be given a cost, just like the One Hand and Shield skill, Low Slash. Given the duration of Force Siphon and Weakness to Elements, it's doubtful that they would put too much pressure on sustain if given a cost.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The current state of Elemental Susceptibility is the result of a comprehensive rework of the skill a few patches back. In its current state, adding a cost to the ability would probably be justified, they've just not done that for some reason.
Sign In or Register to comment.