Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

So Scribing is...

merpins
merpins
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
It's spellcafting lite. As far as I know, it's ONE additional skill for each non-class skill line. You can edit this single skill to do different things, from being a support skill to a dps skill or something else. It's not going to let you edit your own skills, just a single new skill. In each skill line. That you can kinda tailor for your build. To get them and edit them, you have to do a questline and/or possibly find them somehow by doing the new content.

In other words, it's a way to add new skills to old skill lines, and still monetize it by locking those skills behind a paywall. Fine, but also kinda meh. Might be good, but might not be depending on how customizable the skills are, and how good they actually are in content.
Edited by merpins on January 19, 2024 12:10AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Is Morph with 3 options.

They need to just admit they can't do spellcrafting. Just like Blizzard could never figure out how to balancing Shaman and Paladins and so they gave them to both factions. It's ok if you can't figure it out, but this just looks like something that won't be used really.

Honestly doesn't need to be this complicated if it's just a third morph to weapon skills. Would love to see it for all skills.
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought 🤔 it was only one skill by weapon skill line who can be custom with scribing
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    Is Morph with 3 options.

They need to just admit they can't do spellcrafting. Just like Blizzard could never figure out how to balancing Shaman and Paladins and so they gave them to both factions. It's ok if you can't figure it out, but this just looks like something that won't be used really.

Honestly doesn't need to be this complicated if it's just a third morph to weapon skills. Would love to see it for all skills.

yeah adding in another morph on each wouldn't be bad.

Honestly I'd like to see a new stat called Power. Then you will have 3 morphs. Magicka, Stam, and Power. Power becomes the melee version of skills mostly. Then you can balance blocking and dodging/blocking etc with Stam.
  • Alaztor91
    Alaztor91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if you will be able to change the skill resource cost, like making staff skills cost stamina or bow skills cost magicka
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it sounds fun - moreso than the way spellcrafting was outlined back when.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZigoSid wrote: »
    Well it's ONE skill for each weapon.

And it was certain that it would never have been totally unbridled “spellcrafting”.

I'm not arguing that it should have been spellcrafting as was advertised back in 2014. Just trying to get it straight in my head.

I'm not against a weapon skill line meta. This'll be great for a couple builds I like using, like my bleed warden might be able to pump up flurry as an example. But it's not game changing imo, at least until you can do it to class skills, too.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It really depends on the specifics. It can be neat, it can be boring, it can be detrimental.
    Remains to be seen.

I do appreciate the fact that it is a system with potential for expansion further down the line, though.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do appreciate the fact that it is a system with potential for expansion further down the line, though.

I’d be surprised if they don’t have new facets added with each new major content release, it gives them more hooks to draw people in.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

Whitestrake’s Mayhem PSA: While battling through the Imperial City, don’t forget you can return to base quickly by queuing for a Cyrodiil campaign, then queuing back to IC!
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 new skill per weapon line and a few more will be customizableaccording to the stream. There will also be skill style such as a purple wall of element( i guess it will work like costumized action?)
  • Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 new skill per weapon line and a few more will be customizableaccording to the stream. There will also be skill style such as a purple wall of element( i guess it will work like costumized action?)

Might be cool to have some hard mode challenges or achievements include like a new way to customize a skill's visuals.

Like for example, make blade cloak look more cosmic with stars instead of dagger shards or something. Purely cosmetic.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understood this correctly, it is one additional skill for every weapon skill (Two Handed, 1H&S, DW, Bow, Destro & Resto staff), so a whopping.... 6 Skills + Scribing skill line that will be most likely just passives.

So we are getting:
    - 1 additional skill that has a One Permanent Effect that you can not change, but you can "customize" this one special skill by:
    - Adding 1 additional effect (like damage type that will determine the skill cost & scaling).
    - Adding 2nd effect that will give you one of the Buffs that exists in game.

At least this is the example they gave. It all remains to be seen. If you would ask me, then personally I hope for something that will make WW playable, or maybe something so that would allow me to use Resto Staff on My stamina build.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on January 18, 2024 10:09PM
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭

I hope this part will be goodly done and be lore friendly

Purple but also a bit different in the look, like it's from the school of alteration instead of destruction. And that it wont just be "the same fire/ice/thunder wall as before. But purple. Lol k thx Bye."

Edited by ZigoSid on January 18, 2024 10:18PM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They confirmed to SkinnyCheeks that the Guild skill lines and Soul skill line will each have a new customized ability.

In before the soul trap meta lol.
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm excited for it. Just sad no companions...yet.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For roleplayers it would be cool to have skills look like lightning or fire, that normally dont look like that now. And perhaps deal that specific dmg type instead, altho that prob wont happen.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They confirmed to SkinnyCheeks that the Guild skill lines and Soul skill line will each have a new customized ability.
    I would very, very much like and appreciate if Werewolf could have also a new visual customizations. I mean, if they are adding skill customization options, then it is like it is asking for it....
  • jasonkorea03b14_ESO
    Cast_El wrote: »
    I thought 🤔 it was only one skill by weapon skill line who can be custom with scribing

This is what I think it is and to me this is a huge let down. I mean seriously....I can only customize 1 skill per weapon. So let's say I love staff because I like using heavy attack, but the new ability they introduce is lame or doesn't really help my build...it's worthless for me. OR they introduce an ability that is great for my build but now it is on a dagger, and I have to switch to daggers even if I am not a huge fan of some of their ability or play style.

I am sorry but adding 1 ability per weapon is a small update, not something that is suppose to be the main feature on a new expansion. This will 100% ensure the sub totals of this year are less then the previous year. I understand you were not able to do spellcrafting but this is like going from something that would be the end all be all of spells systems, to something that really does look like you did the least amount of work as possible.

To give comparison...you brought out a new class last expansions and introduced their skills where totaled, what 18 abilities and 12 passives?

But you are talking about 1 new skill for the 5 weapon trees? Am I missing something. IS that what they really announced?

• DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to daisy chain a bunch of buffs off of radiating regeneration and never run out of blue stuff with the maelstrom resto.

Or add "force" and "mobility" (probably means snare cleanse) to Rally to truly create a perfect skill

Or even make Ele Sus apply off balance and a snare.

Or gee, imagine putting a root, snare, and Major Expedition on whirling blades

This is big Elder Scrolls energy. We will truly be playing Munchkin Power Fantasy Online. Nothing is OP if everything is OP. Get ready to do it all on one build like never before.
    Edited by DrNukenstein on January 18, 2024 10:41PM
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    I will buy this chapter on preorder but i want to remove arcanist from the upgrade option because you know the upgrade includes all previous chapters.
  • WhosTheFancyOneNow
    WhosTheFancyOneNow
    ✭✭✭
    when can we test it on pts?
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭
    10 years too late