Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Give Me a Reason to Play in 2024

• merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    merpins wrote: »
    I really haven't logged in for a while, myself. 6+ months, at least. Probably more. I haven't even tried the archive because, as you mentioned, there's no reward there; you can get a set that isn't good. Not really an incentive if you ask me.

Is it challenging? Sure, from what I've seen it does get challenging once you get deeper into the archive. Maybe it'd be entertaining if you could just start at the lowest floor you made it to, making it a really deep delve into difficult content. But it's apparently a slog for no reward, so I have no interest.

I've stated many times in the 10 years I've been playing this game that there should be more meaningful rewards that you can earn in-game. Less paid cosmetics, more earned cosmetics. But time and time again, they just shove everything remotely neat into the cash shop. There's no retention to this game; no new cosmetics to really earn over time, nothing to really achieve. It shouldn't be like that. It should have meaningful stuff you can earn, even if it requires grinding. Some people don't like grind, but this is an MMO, something that's really built around grind. And it doesn't all need to be like that either, questlines and bosses could give rewards, achievements could give rewards.

The game needs a good overhaul to some systems, or something dramatically new for it to grab my attention again. It's my favorite MMO, and though I see myself coming back to it from time to time to run a dungeon or two, I don't see myself spending money on it in the future if it keeps stagnating.

I know people don't like hearing it but when games take this approach it's usually the start of the end. DCUO did this exact thing everything was microtransactions and player base just kept falling. It fell enough they had to merge servers from PC and PlayStation. The money they make off those cosmetics don't get out back into the game. They are labeled as "a different part of eso" but yet it runs because of eso existince. They have a hard time fixing bugs in a timely manner but the second something is wrong with the eso store it gets fixed right away. So honestly think about it as a player base, if everyone stopped buying the microtransactions then they would be forced into fixing the game. But players have a fomo (fear of missing out) and they feel forced to buy the item that is available for the next 13 days.

"Start of the end" lol ESO has been doing this since One Tamriel. The moment it went from sub to free to play (with base game and DLC purchase) it also stopped putting cosmetics for free. It looked promising, at first. Pets and mounts were available in-game. There really wasn't that much at the time, so it seemed like it could go either way. You had a free goblin and skeleton transformation in the base game, a bunch of horses, a couple cosmetic hats and costumes, along with holiday costumes and hats. The only questionable one was the imperial edition, which came with the imperial race, the armor style, and a horse, as well as the pre-order bonus that included a monkey pet. This felt bad, but it wasn't the worst (I preordered the game, got a nice art book and statue, too). Then one tamriel hit, which was good for the quality of the game, but bad for the players when it comes to the game treating us like people and not like wallets. This was when the loot boxes were added to the game (maybe even the cash shop itself, I don't remember), and everything good goes there. It's disgusting. But it's been like this since basically the beginning.
    Edited by merpins on January 6, 2024 12:07AM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The infinite archive has a ton of good rewards, so that's definitely a step in the right direction.

Sometimes though, we just burn out on games too. Nothing wrong with that.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on January 6, 2024 12:03AM
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has become a boring game. Slow update, poor balance changes and general safe game direction has made the game lose popularity. Game is crying out for a update in 2024 that will freshen up the game, bring life to existing classes, make the combat fun again, finally address the games many issues and stop leaving existing systems in the mud.

The fact that Tales of Tribute gets more balance changes & more content than Battlegrounds is painfully hilarious. Ravenwatch is a dead campaign. These are just a sample of the games many problems right now. 2024 has to be the year the games pain points finally get some remedies.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can sympathize with OP on the rewards. When you have played for years and accumulated things, the trash items and so-called treasures you get for doing stuff is just inventory clutter. You get the same drops for level 1 (basically) than for very high CP. Often, my medium armor wearing toons sell stuff and barely make enough gold to repair their armor.

Should the system be changed so that you get better drops for higher levels? I leave that question unanswered for now to ponder.

I, like the OP, started out questing many years ago but only recently started doing group activities with gusto so I still have a lot of ground to make up. There are so many things I still have not accomplished yet. I am just now doing vet group dungeons and trials because I gave up on group finder pugs long ago.

There are many ways you can interact with the game now. The more ways you interact personally, the less you will feel like there is nothing to do. If you are truly burned out then maybe there is nothing left for you to do.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to say, but you're in a game that is focused on questing. If that is no longer what you enjoy, then this game is probably no longer for you. I doubt PVP will ever improve due to game limitations, and as much as I give ZOS credit for continuing to TRY and improve it, I don't think it will ever get to a point where it's perfect for everyone.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Sorry to say, but you're in a game that is focused on questing. If that is no longer what you enjoy, then this game is probably no longer for you. I doubt PVP will ever improve due to game limitations, and as much as I give ZOS credit for continuing to TRY and improve it, I don't think it will ever get to a point where it's perfect for everyone.

bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Over 10 year old promotional material is not necessarily an accurate reflection of the current priorities at ZOS. Expecting a sudden huge investment of effort into pvp improvement is almost certainly a path to disappointment.
  • Udrath
    Udrath
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’d recommend getting a house and fill it with as many chest as you can. Clear and deposit all bank items and gear into them. Dump your entire crafting bag into the bank. Then just stop subscribing and you can pvp in cyrodiil/battlegrounds for free whenever until you want to pay a subscription.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamicka wrote: »
    PvP/BGs require that I use expensive tripots, then I don't really get rewarded for participating in these activities. I also have to make builds which can also be costly. Doing trial progressions require potions and builds as well which also cost gold. This is completely unacceptable, I should gain more than I lose doing activities in this game.

I sold all my expensive potions, poisons and food. Performance is lower but no matter. Also stopped doing vet since there is no monster set I need there. Now dungeons are just for smashing things and I can keep playing PvP forever.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

The Alliance War is a Set Piece for the game, not it's main focus.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • CrazyKitty
    CrazyKitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

That's not how the game creators intended it to be. The original devs intended for Cyrodiil to be the primary end game activity as it was when ESO was released.

Pardon me for expecting a company to stick to the original commitments they made to the customers.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game was never intended on questing upon launch lol. It was designed around pvp being endgame. And as far as the games limitations go in upgrading pvp.........

What many new players don't understand is pvp WORKED EXCELLENT before the implication of CP back when it was vet levels, we would get lag but you could see what was going on and you could have your moves fire off as intended, you could see enemies moves when they used them to dodge, you could take part in HUGE epic PVP battles with 60+ players in a capital. They did the failed "light update" and then introduced CP and removed the veteran rank system. After that cyrodil started to lag bad. Then they introduced all this crazy stupid gear that did too much lol.

A example is amazing caster pvp was kag hope set and now you need stuff that does "after every 3rd attack a blast beams out dealing 30000 damage to the enemy" and that still prob isn't good enough to kill someone lol...... So yeah legit if you weren't here for the days of pvp running great take that in. And the lag even went beyond pvp there would be a lot of pve zones/dungeons that will lag terribly. Not trying to pick a fight just informing you of the past.

The question is if it used to work pretty dang good before they started focusing on micro transactions and getting ridiculous amounts of money from people, where does that money go of the game runs terrible right now? With the amount of money made they should be able to hire techs to fix the servers if they can't do it themselves.
    Edited by Kidgangster101 on January 9, 2024 5:28PM
  • Gray_howling_parrot
    Gray_howling_parrot
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game was never intended on questing upon launch lol. It was designed around pvp being endgame. And as far as the games limitations go in upgrading pvp.........

What many new players don't understand is pvp WORKED EXCELLENT before the implication of CP back when it was vet levels, we would get lag but you could see what was going on and you could have your moves fire off as intended, you could see enemies moves when they used them to dodge, you could take part in HUGE epic PVP battles with 60+ players in a capital. They did the failed "light update" and then introduced CP and removed the veteran rank system. After that cyrodil started to lag bad. Then they introduced all this crazy stupid gear that did too much lol.

A example is amazing caster pvp was kag hope set and now you need stuff that does "after every 3rd attack a blast beams out dealing 30000 damage to the enemy" and that still prob isn't good enough to kill someone lol...... So yeah legit if you weren't here for the days of pvp running great take that in. And the lag even went beyond pvp there would be a lot of pve zones/dungeons that will lag terribly. Not trying to pick a fight just informing you of the past.

The question is if it used to work pretty dang good before they started focusing on micro transactions and getting ridiculous amounts of money from people, where does that money go of the game runs terrible right now? With the amount of money made they should be able to hire techs to fix the servers if they can't do it themselves.

To their new IP 100%
    ESO YouTube Content Creator & Templar Tank/Healer Main
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last two months I’ve had that mindset of give me a reason or let me find a reason to play. Then it occurred to me if I’m asking that question I need a break.

Games fun for a couple months for me but it gets stagnant after awhile. Can’t seem to find a good social group and game gets dull running around by myself.
  • Surgee
    Surgee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every 3 months my group is trying to bring itself back to ESO but here's why we don't:

1. Zone exploration is not challenging at all. Any of us can slay any boss or group of mobs with our eyes shut. It simply is boring.

Solution: Add a new Veteran mode for zones, which makes every battle, even with simple mobs, challenging and could require a group. Ramp up the rewards significantly.

2. Cyrodil is just constant run from castle to castle, not caring about losing anything. It's boring and redundant

Solution: Taking over a castle must be much more significant effort. Holding and upgrading it should be rewarded even more. Keeping it for long period of time (days) should give a massive reward for the clan and the alliance, and upping defenses even more. Make me feel excited about defending a place at all times.

3. No good pvp mode for medium sized groups

Solution: Rework imperial city or make a new similar zone. Imperial city is just depressing and there's way too much loading.

4. The constant meta chase

Solution: now this is the biggest issue - any new or returning player quickly uninstalls the game after seeing how he can't scratch any player in pvp, but gets obliterated within seconds. This is very disencouraging. A great build should give slight advantage, not making you godlike vs players that do not spend hours researching new meta build on YouTube. Vocal veterans will defend this because they do want to feel so powerful, but that's exactly what kills the game for most players.

Fix these and you'll definitely have a lot of players coming to ESO
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CrazyKitty wrote: »
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

That's not how the game creators intended it to be. The original devs intended for Cyrodiil to be the primary end game activity as it was when ESO was released.

Pardon me for expecting a company to stick to the original commitments they made to the customers.

The Game Devs also claimed they created the game as an RPG first, MMO second.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Twig_Garlicshine
    Twig_Garlicshine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Favourite MMO -> Dark Age of Camelot (Matt Firor)
    Daoc Pvp was also 3 realm.
    Rock, paper, scissors so perfect balance 1 on 1 wasn't needed.
    Choose your targets should and was part of the Pvp.
    200 vs 200 with siege was also awesome and very fun.
    8 vs 8 very fun.
    1 vs X very fun.
    Wow killed it.
    Followed friends to Wow.
    Tried Eso Beta due to Matt Firor's involvement and PvP design (similar to Daoc).
    Couldn't handle lag in Eso.
    Stayed in Wow as a tank progression guild on PvP server.
    Got tired of PvE tanking.
    Tried Eso again 2019 after remembering Matt Firor and PvP in Daoc.
    After checking out tanking in dungeons/raids decided to forgo endgame PvE due to community.
    Loved the Pvp (Cyro/IC) and decided to stay.
    Watched Pvp being quickly abandoned since their waves of testing.
    Now I don't do much besides login and abuse a daily craft alt farm.
    I keep hoping Eso will return to" Pvp is important and was designed in game from start" again but
    I think Eso-PvP is being abandoned and will end up like Dark Age of Camelot ---dead.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don't understand why you need others to give you a reason to play....

if you don't want to play there are a multitude of other games that are frustratingly hard that should give you enjoyment...I will never ask a developer to make changes just for me..this game has what I like so I play when it no longer does I will leave and either spend more time playing Destiny2 or spend more time in the current MMO I'm testing.....
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • Sapphire_Lily
    Sapphire_Lily
    ✭✭✭
    No one will be able to convince you unless you, yourself, log in or research the new features. Only you know your preferences and you know what it will take.
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

The devs that built and created the game aren't on staff anymore, with only 3 exceptions. That's why the direction of the game has changed to be almost exclusively casual. The original game creators wanted the game to be competitive, not casual.
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

The devs that built and created the game aren't on staff anymore, with only 3 exceptions. That's why the direction of the game has changed to be almost exclusively casual. The original game creators wanted the game to be competitive, not casual.

Facts agree this is the most casual game I've ever seen for a MMO but it also produces a lot of toxic players (both pvp And pve) it is just wild to see that to me lol
  • Panderbander
    Panderbander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem is manpower. They just don't have enough people to properly support the game.
    Leader of Lycan Syndicate, PC NA's tri-faction werewolf guild.~~~Played since the beta, got the monkey.~~~"The blood of the pack is now yours. They are your only family, your only allegiance!"
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem is manpower. They just don't have enough people to properly support the game.

@Panderbander

They sure do have enough man power to create mounts, houses, crates and what not that goes into the microtransactions of the game though. They clearly make a lot of revenue off that but the problem is it isn't being funneled back into the game tho.

If they truly wanted to make eso a successful game they would re invest the money they make from that back into the game. Fix bugs that have been there forever, higher more workers to allow them to work on long dlcs that are longer than a few hours, clean up the lag as well. But we are where we are and people say it is fine because they lack funds. But they lack funds because the higher powered people want to get whatever they can in my opinion just saying.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

Funny considering the first 3 years were all PvP improvements and balances.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't understand this type of thinking. Why are you looking to others for a reason? If you can't find one yourself, it's time to quit.
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run out of things to do in ESO...you play too much ESO.
    I play this game since release and never managed to catch up to the currently released DLC. There is 1000s and 1000s of hours of gameplay in this game.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason I want is that scribing will have unarmed base skill in it.
    Punching people in the face will now have a magical effect on them.
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing my endeavors everyday for crown crate items is what keeps me playing ESO.
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »

What was that again?
    Yeah and crystals help you fight cancer. And ointments help you grow a bigger Johnson. It was a Marketingruse. No one said the game wasnt promoted with PvP. (like every other mmo the moment you can hit another player, if only in Duels). Doesnt change the fact that PvP was never that big a thing in the game itself.

Capperoni.
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bfjqhl0rivfa.png

What was that again?

Facts agree this is the most casual game I've ever seen for a MMO but it also produces a lot of toxic players (both pvp And pve) it is just wild to see that to me lol

Sadly this has been my experience and it kept me from doing a lot of stuff in game and even playing for quite some time.
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA