Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Quick slots: A short pictorial guide

Atalle
Atalle
✭✭✭✭
Quick slots:

The game has designed a quick slot feature, which allows users to equip consumables to a key so that they may be used in the heat of the moment during battle. The default key for using a quick slot item is Q, however, first you must equip an item to the quick slot menu in order to be able to use it during battle.

To do so open your inventory (Default i); in the upper right hand corner of your inventory there is a arrow, click the arrow to open your quick slot menu. Alternatively you can push Q while your inventory is open this will also access the quickslot.
1722051.jpg

1722055.jpg
Your quick slot menu will be composed of 8 empty slots that you can drag and drop consumable items only to the menu. Once equipped which ever item is initially at the 12 o'clock position will be the item equipped to the Q key.[/columns]

During game play (i.e. when not in a character menu/inventory) you can switch your quick slot item to one of the other 8 items by holding down the Q key and moving your mouse right or left to the item of your choice, which will be highlighted. That item will now be the item equipped to the Q key and can be then used as long as no cool downs are active.
1722056.jpg

So the three main take away points are:
  • Equip your consumables before going to battle.
  • To use a equipped item from your quick slot push the Q key (default).
  • Then switch to the next item by holding Q and once the cool down is over you can use the next equipped item.

Items commonly equipped to Quick slots
  • Potions
  • Food
  • Beverages
  • Siege weapons
  • Wall/door Repair kits for pvp
  • Forward Camps
  • Pets
  • Treasure Maps - So you don't have to access your inventory each time to look at the map
  • Bait - Used for fishing holes

If you liked this guide check out my other guides:
Alchemy101
Enchanting 101
Quickslots: A short pictorial guide
Rededication Shrine: How to Respec
Edited by Atalle on April 2, 2014 2:18PM
Elder Moot Exemplar
Mara's Moxie and Psijic Order (Beta Tester)
  • james_edwards1979b16_ESO
    A Tip: Until you learn what is what (and maybe you never will remember), come up with a little procedure for the slots. For example, on the 3 slots on the left I put health pots from top to bottom in order of strength (best at the top-left, not so great on the bottom-left), then on the right 3 slots I put stamina ones using the same rule. Top slot and bottom slot.... something random'ish? I have a magic pot on the top and a vanity pet on the bottom.

Adjust as need if you need more magic than stamina for example. Swap things as needed but perhaps something along these lines? I guess a different plan will be needed for siege weapons and general PvP, but the above works nice for me on questing PvE.

P.S. I know you can hover over the slotted item you have selected from the slot wheel on the action bar at the bottom, but you don't really want to slot and hover one at a time to discover each items properties. What they really need is tool-tips on the Q-Wheel.
  • Atalle
    Atalle
    ✭✭✭✭
    To add to @james_edwards1979b16_ESO‌ post. I craft my alchemy potions, so at 12 o'clock while in PVE is always my restore health, stamina, magicka potion (it's a combo potion LOVE it). Then my other ones follow close by based on what I need at the time. I usually try not to have more than 3 potions on at any given point because otherwise it gets too confusing.

Overall, I think the quick slots need some work, in time I'm sure they will right now though ZOS has many other bigger fish to fry first! Keep up the great work Zenimax!
    Elder Moot Exemplar
  • Jhogo
    Jhogo
    Thank you for this great guide. However, i have a question. Why we need to put a pet at the quick slot. Is pet any useful ?
  • Atalle
    Atalle
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Jhogo‌ Just for fun. You don't have to, but it makes it easier to use or spawn your pets.
    Elder Moot Exemplar
  • sr383
    sr383
    Bah! The pets are in the bank. I got tired of their disgusting sounds, anyway. If I had my wife's clanfear, that would be a different story, but as a dragonknight, critters are useless to me.
  • richie01
    richie01
    Thanks heaps, I never noticed that button for quick slots and could not figure out how to equip potions.
  • grahamz1b14_ESO
    You say that whatever you put at the 12:00 position will be the current quickslot. However, the only item that actually ever appears in my Quickslot is the one at the lowest position (at 6, not 12). Is this a settings thing?

I actually hate the use of quickslots since it seems impossible for me to switch quickslots in the midst of combat without actually having the 'Q'ueued potion being used. It's too much too fast for me to follow. IT would be far better to simply attach each item to a separate key or toolbar button. It's actually a lot easier for me to use the mouse than the keyboard, but without free mouse movement, that obviously can't work. So I guess I'll always be helpless in combat 8-(.
    Edited by grahamz1b14_ESO on April 17, 2014 8:34AM
  • Atalle
    Atalle
    ✭✭✭✭
    @grahamz1b14_ESO‌ depends on what you put on your quick slot first. If the only thing on your quick slot is @ 6 o'clock then that will be the active item, default is 12 o'clock if you're equipping items the first time. After that it's wherever your last active Q slotted item was. You can change your Q slot in battle by holding Q and moving your mouse left or right to the item you want.

I wish ZOS would have designed this differently, and hopefully it's in the works for a major overhaul, because I do believe this is not very intuitive or easy to understand, hence this short guide with key points.
    Elder Moot Exemplar
  • grahamz1b14_ESO
    Actually, anything I put in 12:00 does not show -- for a long time I couldn't figure out why nothing every showed up in my quickslot, because logically, 12:00 is where you'd expect it to belong. So I don't know why it doesn't work the same for me as it does for you, but it doesn't.
  • 7788b14_ESO
    7788b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You say that whatever you put at the 12:00 position will be the current quickslot. However, the only item that actually ever appears in my Quickslot is the one at the lowest position (at 6, not 12). Is this a settings thing?

I actually hate the use of quickslots since it seems impossible for me to switch quickslots in the midst of combat without actually having the 'Q'ueued potion being used. It's too much too fast for me to follow. IT would be far better to simply attach each item to a separate key or toolbar button. It's actually a lot easier for me to use the mouse than the keyboard, but without free mouse movement, that obviously can't work. So I guess I'll always be helpless in combat 8-(.

After you press Q which ever one you highlight will appear for activation regardless of it's location on the wheel.
  • Appalachian
    Last comment 18 April?

I just want to add another comment, as a NEW player:

I keep hitting "Q" during game play when I mean to hit "W".

*POP* ... potion wasted. I am trying. I really am .. keeps happening.

I will continue to search for a better solution (addon?)

/argh :'(
    Furyion - Altmer Sorcerer (Storm Caller/Destro/Resto & Vampo ;)

• Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're having trouble by accidentally hitting it you can always keybind it to another key. I must admit I use to hit it quite a bit too in the beginning (after all Q and E use to be your straft buttons in most MMOs). But like anything, with time you get use to change.

The Quickshot Wheel can take a bit of getting use to, especially when in the middle of battle. But with practice you can. I'd suggest placing potions or similar that you want o use 'on-the-run' in places on the wheel like 12, 9, 6 o'clock, etc. And keeping the same type of potion there all the time (e.g. my healing potion is always at 12 O'clock). The trick? Well there is no trick, just practice practice practice.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on June 2, 2014 1:49PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • duchessofkvetchb14_ESO
    Been using this quickslot mod instead of the native "wheel", which is really unwieldly for me. It lets me use function keys instead of (or in addition to) the Q button, and creates a customizable potion bar.
    Edited by duchessofkvetchb14_ESO on June 3, 2014 2:47PM
  • Atalle
    Atalle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I will have to try that mod out. Thanks @duchessofkvetchb14_ESO‌
    Elder Moot Exemplar
  • mfried1211
    mfried1211
    Soul Shriven
    How does the quick slot on the xbox one controller work?