Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Bank and player storage

• Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    I've eventually made the choice to completely ignore provisioning in its entirety. It has saved a huge part of my bag management time, as most of the filler you find is provisioning mats.

I keep my provisioning stuff on a mule (though will be two soon). I'm also now keeping trait gems on another mule. It's the essence runes that take up all the room and, as they aren't level specific, I don't much fancy taking them out of the bank.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    I think some of you are complaining about the model that they used for this...

ESO doesn't WANT us to keep all supplies for provisioning, crafting, blacksmithing and enchanting. So if you are going to the bank and spending a half hour transferring things to your mules, you aren't playing the way they want you to.

I'm only level 11 currently, and I do wish the bank space and bag space was larger, but I haven't had to use a mule at all. I specialize in blacksmithing and enchanting and my wife specializes in alchemy and crafting, so we trade items back and forth seamlessly in game. We have to stop every hour to go to the bank (especially because stacks get split) but even with all the runes I have in the bank, I end up with only about 15 items in my bag afterwards.

Not saying your way is wrong, and you do have a point about not being able to have a different alternate character for each specialty (You basically have to choose what you want to spend your bank storage on universally for all characters), but I think ESO really wants us all to specialize and work together to get what you need.
  • illuzian
    illuzian
    ✭✭

I don't think that's the case, I think we're playing exactly how they want us to: If we want to have it all, it's going to be hard work.

• Bansheedragon
    Bansheedragon
    ✭✭✭
    baduber wrote: »
    2. Only 1 guild creation per account. That's just stupid. THUS you cant make bank toon on your account to send all your mats to if your a GM. Thats just stitching up those of us that create guilds and communities in game. Im currently GM of my guild who's members migrated from Rift. Thus the bank is filling up with all my members contributions. I have no way of making a second guild just for banking on a lowbee alt. Why Why Why?

I dont know why I never thought of creating my own guild for storage purposes, but its a brilliant idea.
    I even wanted to do it since I'm not a GM, but after discussing it with others in my guild I found that it cant be done.

Apparently you need at least 10 members in the guild in order to unlock the guild bank.
    So unless you know 10 people who are willing to join up to help you unlock that you are stuck with the extremely limited space you have.

What I dont understand is why there is a limit to this.
    Since we can be part of up to 5 guilds at once, I dont see what the problem would be by doing it this way.

I already created a mule alt, but with having to store crafting materials for 3 crafting professions, all the items I need for researching traits, and the CE items(maps, pets, rings of Mara etc), I'm already running short of space again.

So the way I see it they either increase the storage space significantly or they allow us to use a guild bank.
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    WTB free mailing system for my alts.

That's all i need with current system. Its not so complicated after all.
    Edited by Bob on April 8, 2014 7:16PM
  • Thete
    Thete
    ✭✭✭
    Bob wrote: »
    WTB free mailing system for my alts.

That's all i need with current system. Its not so complicated after all.

The current system is that the mail is linked to your account, so that isn't possible. I would suggest just having two bank slots: one which is specific to that character and one which is the shared account bank.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭

ESO doesn't WANT us to keep all supplies for provisioning, crafting, blacksmithing and enchanting. So if you are going to the bank and spending a half hour transferring things to your mules, you aren't playing the way they want you to.

I'm only level 11 currently, and I do wish the bank space and bag space was larger, but I haven't had to use a mule at all. I specialize in blacksmithing and enchanting and my wife specializes in alchemy and crafting, so we trade items back and forth seamlessly in game. We have to stop every hour to go to the bank (especially because stacks get split) but even with all the runes I have in the bank, I end up with only about 15 items in my bag afterwards.

Not saying your way is wrong, and you do have a point about not being able to have a different alternate character for each specialty (You basically have to choose what you want to spend your bank storage on universally for all characters), but I think ESO really wants us all to specialize and work together to get what you need.

You see, that is just very annoying gameplay for many of us.

I much prefer to use 7 alts for vault storage, with the bank as an exchange between alts and for things I am currently using. Going back to town to inventory manage every hour sucks, in my personal opinion, buy YMMV.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've given up on crafting as the storage needs seem to preclude actually playing a character for the quests and story lines. I tried to make crafting alts to carry mats but it ended up a constant log out/log in alt switch that ruined the game for me. Deconstructing generates even more crap. It never ends and became irritating.

They need to consolidate some of this crap or make crafting storage separate which i will gladly pay for with gold.

and for the love of god, why cant we lock items to prevent us from accidentally deconstructing/vendoring/whatever an item we wish to keep separate from the mass of crap. and would it kill them to give us some sort of sort function? like light vs heavy vs medium armor....

*grumbles and goes off to shout at the kids to STAY OFF MY LAWN!
    Edited by reggielee on April 8, 2014 7:45PM
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Shimond
    Shimond
    ✭✭✭✭
    Osi wrote: »
    Everything falls into place once you reach about 80-80 bank and bag space. keep all your enchanting, alchemy, and crafting secondaries in bank and hold onto provisioning supplies.

I find I have around 70ish slots in bank always full and 60 in bag for provisioning. Although once I hit 50 provisioning on my alts (I'm already on my main and transferring supplies to alts) I will be much more select in the provisioning supplies I take. Should free up an additional 30+ bag spaces.

Yea I found the same. Once I got a couple inventory and bank upgrades it wasn't a problem keeping everything I needed. The trick is determining what you really "need" :P
  • Bob
    Bob
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    I've given up on crafting as the storage needs seem to preclude actually playing a character for the quests and story lines. I tried to make crafting alts to carry mats but it ended up a constant log out/log in alt switch that ruined the game for me. Deconstructing generates even more crap. It never ends and became irritating.

Agree. Not fun at all. But game supposed to be fun, so there is something wrong. :'(
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »

Agree. Not fun at all. But game supposed to be fun, so there is something wrong. :'(

Part of the disconnect seems to be that certain people want to keep every possible ingredient/crafting stone/rune at all times, which is physically impossible.

However, if you focus on one or two of them, the bank is definitely big enough for every ingredient/crafting stone/rune of what you are focusing on.

You can even delve into some of the non-focused skills if you just craft and use up whatever you have in your inventory and don't try to hoard it.

The only thing I am sympathetic to is the fact that one account can't have different characters focus on each thing. If the bank is used for runes, it is difficult to have a secondary character focus on provisioning, for example.

But my style of play is to go through as my main character and only focus on what I'm interested in now. Once I reach a certain point and want to do something else, I'll withdraw from the bank and use a secondary character to focus on something else.
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I actually got to the point today (after my 3rd round of inventory management in 5hrs) where I just didn't want to go out and play, since it would just mean more time spent sorting and moving items around. It is definitely 'not fun'.

A separate crafting storage would be a blessing. I don't know if they planned to add more storage etc with housing, but if that's going to be a long ways down the road, would be better to add something now.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give us a 40 slot upgradable personal bank for all our alts and imagine this issue will go away.
    "I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • dirklemonjellob14_ESO
    I hate bag system in ESO... with so much stuff this is just not fun. And if one part of the game is not fun, then it's just sucks. >:)

Just put all craft thing in separate bag already, like in Guild wars 2.

Excellent idea!! It is not enjoyable to be level 6 in this game and be absolutely starved for pack space. I find myself now spending more time juggling pack space than actually leveling which sucks. Thats really my only complaint about this game so far.

• knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭

Part of the disconnect seems to be that certain people want to keep every possible ingredient/crafting stone/rune at all times, which is physically impossible.

However, if you focus on one or two of them, the bank is definitely big enough for every ingredient/crafting stone/rune of what you are focusing on.

You can even delve into some of the non-focused skills if you just craft and use up whatever you have in your inventory and don't try to hoard it.

The only thing I am sympathetic to is the fact that one account can't have different characters focus on each thing. If the bank is used for runes, it is difficult to have a secondary character focus on provisioning, for example.

But my style of play is to go through as my main character and only focus on what I'm interested in now. Once I reach a certain point and want to do something else, I'll withdraw from the bank and use a secondary character to focus on something else.

Some players like to have a lot of alts focused on different things -- severely hampered here. Other players like to have a main focused on lots of things at once -- severely hampered here.

My own playstyle is like yours, although I am using 7 alts as mules to hoard materials for when I want to focus on other crafts. It "works" in a way, but only because I generally don't roll alts for play. If I did, this system would be terrible.

• Rotherhans
    Rotherhans
    ✭✭✭
    It really isn´t rocket science guys.
    Just like in Guild Wars 2 crafting mats simply need to get their own account bank.

Will it happen?
    Never, as the database in this game is so rudimentary programmed that it cannot even stack recipes, let alone discern crafting mats as separate entities from normal loot.

If you want to find out more about how the Bank is implemented in this game´s database just read around in this insightful thread.. :|
    Everything in my bank is gone/deleted while playing
    Edited by Rotherhans on April 8, 2014 11:53PM
    “I'm not going out of my way looking for devils;
    but I wouldn't step out of my path to let one go by.”― Robert E. Howard
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭

You see, that is just very annoying gameplay for many of us.

I much prefer to use 7 alts for vault storage, with the bank as an exchange between alts and for things I am currently using. Going back to town to inventory manage every hour sucks, in my personal opinion, buy YMMV.

I meant about every hour or two our inventory fills up, so we go to town and sell some, use some and store some in the bank.

It isn't any different than Skyrim or any other game I've played like this-- you have a finite inventory and if you go out and loot things, you have to get rid of it at some point.

I remember my wife spending hours on hours carrying dwarven cogs out of dwarven ruins, one zone at a time, in order to make dwarven arrows and sell them for gold. That isn't what they intended you to do, but she did it because it was a great way to make gold in Skyrim. I think this is similar.
  • knightblaster
    knightblaster
    ✭✭✭
    "At some point", yes. The issue is "at what point"? In this game there is a huge amount of materials -- huge. It's a massive proliferation of materials and a quite cramped space when compared to the proliferation of materials. As I see it, the design is intended to "encourage" the player to focus on 1-2 crafts. That seems obvious to me, even using alts as mules for storage. But a lot of people want to level multiple crafts, and even trying to do that with multiple characters is incredibly difficult given the storage caps, especially with the shared bank (which basically adds no value at all for an alt who is crafting a different line).
  • Ohioastro
    Ohioastro
    ✭✭✭✭

I really like this game, but I think that this decision is a very poor one that will have to change. People in MMOs collect things, and punishing people for habits like that never succeeds. What happens instead is that people end up wasting a lot of time dealing with it, they develop a hostile attitude to the game, and they quit.

I like crafting and the current system pushes me towards spending a large fraction of my time logging in and out and playing the inventory game. I have mules (rather than alts); and I haven't even gotten to the second tier of items, where the storage space needed will presumably double (unless I junk the ability to even do low level crafting.) Yes, I imagine that you can do things differently - but there is zero in-game guidance as to what that different thing should be. And frustration and busywork make for very, very poor motivational tools.

• gtirwb17_ESO
    gtirwb17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I give up on crafting and will just sell mats.

It is just to hard to juggle bag space and bank space and alt storage.

Sale from mats will just have to fund buying other peoples crafting.

A shame really as I really do think ESO did get the crafting right and interesting.
  • Greydog
    Greydog
    ✭✭✭✭
    I give up on crafting and will just sell mats.

It is just to hard to juggle bag space and bank space and alt storage.

Sale from mats will just have to fund buying other peoples crafting.

A shame really as I really do think ESO did get the crafting right and interesting.

Problem is there's no reliable place to sell those mats except a vendor, and even then some of them have no value there.

"I Plan on living forever ..so far so good"
    Sanguine's Disciple

Asylum Amoebaeus ..A refuge for those who normally fly solo.
    Message me here or in game for an invite
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    My current gripe with the system is a lack of special storage for items like in-game vanity pets and trophies. I've got 4 vanity pets, probably 8+ trophies from completing various quests, special-rare crafting motif styles (palladium, copper, daedric heart, etc..) that are so few and far in-between it would be a terrible idea to either not keep for personal use or keep in bank, store up a few and then sell. Then you've got other special items like disguises (the skeleton costume in example) that take up more space. I'm really surprised you can't just equip the costume and then toggle it on and off, instead of having to put it back in your bag to un-equip, taking up bag space.

There have been other games out there that handle special storage like this - in example one NCSoft free mmo has in-game menus for collecting trophies, etc.. and you can use them directly from in-game menus. They don't take up storage, bank or bag space, and you can use them from any character on your account or from any location. This would be so perfect if you want to use that special meat sack for the lull's or if you like Almelxia's glowy yellow orb. It's currently so impractical to hang on to 20+ special items and no place to store them without impacting your game play. This is just a spin on how to improve bank/bag space problems some players are identifying.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • aidevelopmentb16_ESO
    Anyone remember when carry weight counted? That was fun eh? I don't understand what you're all going on about. Storage capacity is so ludicrously high in this game, its unbelievable.

Bag Space: 135 slots (max bag + horse)
    Bank Space: 90 slots (for crafting gear - still increasing)
    Alt Space: 60 * 6 = 360 slots
    Guild Bank: 500 slots
    Guild Bank 2: 500 slots (friend's guild)

So, that's well over 1,500 slots.... running all 6 professions, I rarely have an issue. Hoarding/OCD issues are more of a concern than 1,500+ slots not being enough.

... the no stacking in guild banks is a *** though.
    @CatoTheElder
    Moon Sugar Traders Inc - GM
    Guild Website
  • cromica81_ESO
    cromica81_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember when carry weight counted? That was fun eh? I don't understand what you're all going on about. Storage capacity is so ludicrously high in this game, its unbelievable.

So, that's well over 1,500 slots.... running all 6 professions, I rarely have an issue. Hoarding/OCD issues are more of a concern than 1,500+ slots not being enough.

Not everyone has access to guild banks and having to log in and out just to move things around from alts is not a smart or valid design choice.

Edited by cromica81_ESO on May 7, 2014 12:38PM
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭

When carry weight counted (I assume you are talking about previous TES games) the storage was virtually unlimited due containers.

Speaking about mmorpgs, Tibia (1997-) uses carry weight to limit the amount of items a character can carry, but character have thousands of slots in banks, and the housing system has a virtually unlimited storage capacity.

Other F2P games -> new account -> repeat-> unlimited storage

Hence your false premises lead to a false conclusion.
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, ya know- I guess "Bag Merchant" was more catchy than "Inventory Expansion Merchant" so they used the word "bag" instead.

That said, I feel the inventory system in itself could use some TLC, but I honestly don't know how they'll manage it since the game has "console design" written all over it, and no matter what decision they make it's now going to have to include usability for such.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saiden wrote: »
    I've eventually made the choice to completely ignore provisioning in its entirety. It has saved a huge part of my bag management time, as most of the filler you find is provisioning mats.

I think people keep every provisioning mat they find and that's part of the problem. I hope level 50s still don't have mats to make level 1 food and drink in their bank/inventory. lol
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    I have a solution for you.

I have outleveled my current PvE content by doing PvP, so now I don't get any loot from killing mobs. No loot - no bag space problems.

PROFIT! :D

/jokes off

I'm very-very-very sad about it. :cry:
    @d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • Cheatingdeath23
    Cheatingdeath23
    ✭✭✭

There is an add on that autostacks for guild banks.

But I question your premise as well-- I am in two guilds that have guild banks, but I wouldn't trust any of my good stuff in there. Sure, I'd throw any provisioning in, but I keep all my runes and blacksmithing stuff.

I also don't use my alt for anything except storing pets/maps from the preorder thing. I hate the idea of having to log in and out.

So realistically, 135 slots in bag, 90 in bank, and that is everything you can easily access. 225 slots of total inventory.

I've had no trouble with enchanting/blacksmithing/woodworking as my crafts, but I don't pick up any provisioning/alchemy and I have a minimum of 40 things in my inventory even after stopping at the bank.

Not convenient, and almost no way to easily transfer provisioning to an alt (as I assume some people would like to do)
  • Bragauk
    Bragauk
    ✭✭
    Bank space is just too small. I love seeing the comments on the other ES games having the same issues. I am guess that those people did not play on PC or never heard of the mods that corrected this issue. In Skyrim I had a mod that got rid of the weight for just about every crafting item and then got a mod for a bottomless bag that I could put everything in. I did not even use a house for storage. My characters carried half the world with them at any given time.

I am not saying this game needs that as this is an MMO and getting people to buy more bags, slots to put the bags or whatever is the nature of an MMO.

The issue is this game just has so many crafting materials that if you want to level more than 2 crafts total for you account, keep items to research, spec your horse for speed vs storage so you can get around PvP zones faster and actually play your alts vs using them for storage you are stuck.

I am only leveling 3 crafts at the moment and I have the bank at 100 slots and I have two alts that hold crafting materials (both overflowing). My bank has about 20 slots open so I can move items around. I spend about 20 minutes every 1-2 hours doing inventory management. If I want to start working on my crafting that would take me 45 minutes just to move everything to the bank or the crafter to get started then another 45 to get back to adventuring. To me the system is just broken which is what I have been talking about since Beta.

For the people suggesting using the guild bank..... crafters usually keep all the mats they need in their own storage since a guild bank ,since you cannot have a private one, is anything but a safe place to put your items.

Best suggestion is either open up a crafting item only bank tab ala GW2 or increase the bank size by at least doubling it's current max capacity.