Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Food and Drink Consumables (both active)

xiZeroPointix
xiZeroPointix
✭✭✭
When we eat dinner, we often have a drink as well. What if we were able to have a food and drink buff active at the same time. You would need max level provisioning and alchemy. Possibly max stats on all crafting skill lines and unlock a perk that allows the use of both items. I realize this would make some very interesting builds. Maybe when you consume both, it halves the duration or removes a percentage of the buff. Get rid of the snake blood passive and instead have 5 or 10 skill points you can allot to the perk. Each skill point applied will either increase the duration or allow for you to gain more percentage of the buff. What do you guys think?
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too OP imo.
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be too OP IMO too.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We kind of already have this. At launch, food only buffed max resources and drinks only buffed resource recovery. That was the dividing line and why food and drink were separate They eventually added ability to buff resources and recovery (in Orsinium DLC?), but did it via new specialty food/drinks that offered both, rather than allowing food and drink at same time. They could have potentially gone food+drink at that time, but difference between food and drink is no longer distinct. At this point you have regen food and resource drinks and almost every possible combination and permutation of multiple effects. You would not just be adding a new effect, you would be essentially doubling existing effects because you can usually find a drink that does nearly same thing as your food, or vice versa.
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like forum posts about in-game food. Makes me hungry.

Also very nice suggestion OP 👍
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would be nice, but it would result in a major nerf nerf to food, which I can do without

EDIT: The nerf, that is. Like food. :)
    Edited by El_Borracho on December 27, 2023 4:56PM
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a huge fan of this suggestion. This change would require people to make both a food and a drink for each kind of build (PvE, PvP) they have. The opportunity cost for not having both a food and a drink active is too great. To be competitive in PvE or PvP, you have to have both buffs like everyone else.

Not to mention that the ability to have both a food and a drink buff would enable players to utilize both "food" sets (like Green Pact, Back-Alley Gourmand, and Steadfast's Mettle) as well as "drink" sets (like Bright-Throat's Boast and Bone Pirate's Tatters). You could argue that this would be a good thing, but I want to draw attention to it because I doubt it has been considered.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would love to see my character buffed like crazy in the game.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the implications and the possible power creep. I agree with the fact that food and drink used to be separate per @Dagoth_Rac. I have pondered this for a few years, and I have always wondered what it would be like to be able to use both. I do not think that foods would be nerfed. The usage of both would have a de-buff similar to battle spirit, only occurring within the bounds of the skill perk. It would take a lot of work to get the perk. It would take substantial amount of work to be able to use it and would create a disparity in pvp for sure. Would be pretty cool though to have that much resource sustain. I appreciate the feedback on the subject!
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kisakee wrote: »
    I understand the implications and the possible power creep. I agree with the fact that food and drink used to be separate per @Dagoth_Rac. I have pondered this for a few years, and I have always wondered what it would be like to be able to use both. I do not think that foods would be nerfed. The usage of both would have a de-buff similar to battle spirit, only occurring within the bounds of the skill perk. It would take a lot of work to get the perk. It would take substantial amount of work to be able to use it and would create a disparity in pvp for sure. Would be pretty cool though to have that much resource sustain. I appreciate the feedback on the subject!

What amount of work are we talking about? Provisioning and Alchemy can be maxed out within some minutes, skill points are a matter of a couple hours at most. And without lowering the buffs you would get 7.6k max Life, 6k max Stamina, 4.2k max Magicka, 460 Life regen and 315 Stamina regen when combining Sugar Skulls with Camoran Throne. That's even stronger than wearing another 5 piece set in addition.

Huh. I didn't realize it would be that much....

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we have an emote tho for eating AND drinking?
  • Kite42
    Kite42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think this could work if you found the right percentage decrease in effectiveness when both were active. Something like 65% effectiveness if both are active?
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kite42 wrote: »
    I think this could work if you found the right percentage decrease in effectiveness when both were active. Something like 65% effectiveness if both are active?

50% for both to mix and match to cater for your specific needs, that's the only way i can see something like this happen.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah this would be problematic for sure. There would be no reason to NOT eat tri-stat food and then use a drink that gives you mag/stam recovery both. There would be absolutely no down-side, and could all be done very cheaply.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too OP, and really just another way of eliminating tactical choice (food or drink is a tactical choice at any level/content in the game) and thereby further trivialising the game.
  • XxCaLxX
    XxCaLxX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldnt change anything besides having more headaches due to the balancing by nerfing foods and drinks or most likely what they would do is nerf damage to make up the difference so basically would have to be sure keep food and drink buffs active to be at the same point we are at now.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Well I get thirsty when I eat bear haunch
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭

What amount of work are we talking about? Provisioning and Alchemy can be maxed out within some minutes, skill points are a matter of a couple hours at most. And without lowering the buffs you would get 7.6k max Life, 6k max Stamina, 4.2k max Magicka, 460 Life regen and 315 Stamina regen when combining Sugar Skulls with Camoran Throne. That's even stronger than wearing another 5 piece set in addition.

All skill lines in crafting max level with all perks at max level. Then who knows, what about some leads you have to scry as well. The problem with that would be player level disparity. They would be such a lag between high-level and low level players. That’s already the case with obtaining new sets. Or just buy the perk from the crown store for 49.99. Put it at the end of Caldwell quest so people would actually complete the main story line lol. It was just a fun idea. It would be too op but interesting if implemented.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could work, maybe if each buff worked at 50% effectiveness if using both a food and drink buff. Reduced movement speed by 10%.
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to manually remove existing food/drink buffs from our characters if we wanted to only have one or the other active? I wouldn't want to use both if it's going to debuff my character in some way.

I often use up existing food/drink in my inventory from completing daily provisioning writs when trying to complete "Consume x Drinks" or "Consume x Foods" endeavors. So, I'll consume the "trash" food/drink from my inventory to clear up inventory space, and then I'll consume the actual food/drink I want to replace the buff from the trash food. I don't want the buff from this trash food/drink buff to persist and degrade the effectiveness of my actual food/drink buff.

The alternative is to just have a food/drink combo for every kind of content I want to do, and that'll just take up even more space in my inventory. Of course, I could just live with the nerf to my stats for consuming food/drink that don't contribute to my build, or I could just not use food/drink at all, but that'll always put me at a disadvantage.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All skill lines in crafting max level with all perks at max level. Then who knows, what about some leads you have to scry as well. The problem with that would be player level disparity. They would be such a lag between high-level and low level players. That’s already the case with obtaining new sets. Or just buy the perk from the crown store for 49.99. Put it at the end of Caldwell quest so people would actually complete the main story line lol. It was just a fun idea. It would be too op but interesting if implemented.

I have 17 characters with all maxed professions and 4 with Scrying level 10. I can also offer 18 characters with maxed out Legerdemain. There are ways to level this stuff very efficently, no progression requirement (except PvP ranking) could ever stop me. And i'm just one of many out there. So no matter what you come up with it won't be enough to justify such an extreme advantage. It's not that i don't like the idea, it's just way too strong.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to manually remove existing food/drink buffs from our characters if we wanted to only have one or the other active?

You can do this now from the character sheet, scroll down to the food buff and (controller default is to press X, but keyboard might be different) press X over the food buff. You can also despawn pets in cities this way too ;)

• Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would it be possible to manually remove existing food/drink buffs from our characters if we wanted to only have one or the other active?

You can do this now from the character sheet, scroll down to the food buff and (controller default is to press X, but keyboard might be different) press X over the food buff. You can also despawn pets in cities this way too ;)

Ah, I didn't realize you could do that! That could prove useful if having both a food and drink buff ends up debuffing the player in some way.