Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Visual Effects on Sets and Gear

PriestessAthena
PriestessAthena
✭✭✭
Ever thought about adding more visual effects to gear that aren’t necessarily particle effects but maybe just visuals like the Dro-m'Athra and Hollowjack Styles? Glowing or pulsing visuals apposed to particles.

Example of Particle Effects
wfuan3se05ag.jpeg
jrmn2l4ekbe7.jpeg

Example of NON Particle Visual Effects
9l1ai7tz6xct.jpeg
j8rg1hbkcw65.png

Edited by PriestessAthena on December 3, 2023 3:44PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those things are different.

The first are effects granted by the sets, while things like Dro-m'Athra and Hollowjack are simply part of the design of the style not their sets.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • aspergalas4
    aspergalas4
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think a better suggestion would be to open up more dye channels so we can dye these unique parts of certain styles. Let us make our dro-mathra red/yellow instead of blue, or make the hollowjack blue instead of red for a cold fire effect.
  • PriestessAthena
    PriestessAthena
    ✭✭✭
    Those things are different.

I definitely understand that which is why I didn’t just say add more visual effects. The main complaint from most people with any sort of visual effect on gear whether it be a set item or a single gear piece generally pertains to the particle effects specifically. Trying to avoid complaints because it gets old hearing people complain about the problem but offer no suggestions. Not at all referring to you either, just people in general. I would rather visuals be tied to single pieces of gear opposed to sets anyway.

Basically just interjecting that there should be A LOT MORE visual effects on individual gear pieces, in general.
    Edited by PriestessAthena on December 4, 2023 4:12PM
  • PriestessAthena
    PriestessAthena
    ✭✭✭
    dye these unique parts of certain styles. Let us make our dro-mathra red/yellow instead of blue, or make the hollowjack blue instead of red for a cold fire effect.

I wouldn’t mind. Also a great idea
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really a lot happier without "flash" and visual FX on gear personally. The "flashiest" thing I use is one character in Hollowjack - because she got the flame atro wolf out of a free crate whenever it was a daily reward. And I wince every time I use her....

Also don't want weapons glowing. Or mounts....

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I'm really a lot happier without "flash" and visual FX on gear personally. The "flashiest" thing I use is one character in Hollowjack - because she got the flame atro wolf out of a free crate whenever it was a daily reward. And I wince every time I use her....

What @TaSheen said basically. The less flash, the better.

All of those flashy effects from mounts, pets, skins and gear just make me want to log off immediately. I wish I could just install a mod that gets rid of all that flashy crap on my client.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »

All of those flashy effects from mounts, pets, skins and gear just make me want to log off immediately. I wish I could just install a mod that gets rid of all that flashy crap on my client.

Agreed! There are very few sets with effects that I like, generally they are subtle. I really dislike those with particle effects in the OP. It’s too much and to my taste, looks really bad.

I think ZOS should add OPTIONS for addition customization, including glows, and particle effects if the engine/servers can support that and have much less tied to gear sets and abilities. I think many of the DK ability effects are too much, including the weird glowy balls that appear over the eyes and magma shell applying a lava texture to the character instead of a more translucent shield visual, but at least those are temporary effects. The NB red blobs just for slotting Grim Focus really need to go, please. :persevere:

I don’t want to take anything away from anyone, but to have the option to customize to appearance and effects I prefer. I know a lot of people dislike Arcanist because it is bright, but to me it’s fine because the effects are detailed — it looks well done instead of a slapped on texture or blob of colored pixels, but to each their own and that is why I desperately wish we all had more OPTIONS!
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭

Most mounts glow anyway. I think you’re confusing particle effects with a natural glow which is why I gave examples. That’s my point most people complain and do not like the flashy glowy stuff. Good thing almost every single motif in game does not glow. Would be nice to have a few options other than Dro and Hollowjack. I also agree. That’s the statement about particle effects. Hollowjack glows visually but does not have obnoxious particle effects. I wish we had more motifs like HOLLOWJACK. 2 glowing motifs and 5000 that have no visual effects. This is a magicka based world. Things glow when imbued with magic. Almost necessary so I don’t look like a peasant calling themself Dragonborn.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 5, 2023 1:06PM
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭

It’s almost as if no one reads the actual post. That is exactly how I approached this. I literally said the flashy glowy obnoxious particle effects are hated by everyone but sorry to say people actually wear Hollowjack and like it. Would be nice to have more than 3 motifs that have a tiny glowing part on them.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 5, 2023 12:59PM
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      Agreed! There are very few sets with effects that I like, generally they are subtle. I really dislike those with particle effects in the OP. It’s too much and to my taste, looks really bad.

but to each their own and that is why I desperately wish we all had more OPTIONS!

Exactly this yes. Agree the particle effects can be absolutely obnoxious. Glowing motifs however are not. If you don’t like the glowing motif don’t wear it lmao. But millions of gamers covet glowing gear. Just how it is. 2 options is not enough.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 5, 2023 1:05PM
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Except I also find Hollowjack "flashy glowy" - probably going to have to quit using it, and that mount. I don't care what you call it - particle effects or glowing motifs - I just don't like them.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

but to each their own and that is why I desperately wish we all had more OPTIONS!

Exactly this yes. Agree the particle effects can be absolutely obnoxious. Glowing motifs however are not. If you don’t like the glowing motif don’t wear it lmao. But millions of gamers covet glowing gear. Just how it is. 2 options is not enough.

My point is that I don’t want effects added to sets — more styles with glow are perfectly fine as the whole purpose of a style is cosmetic. Exactly, those who don’t like a style have no need to use it. Sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your post. I’m all for more cosmetic options not tied to game mechanics (sets/abilities). :)
    • AnduinTryggva
      AnduinTryggva
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No, please not more visual effec. We are already overwhelmed and swamped with blinky and shiny stuff. Yikes.
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      Except I also find Hollowjack "flashy glowy" - probably going to have to quit using it, and that mount. I don't care what you call it - particle effects or glowing motifs - I just don't like them.

Yes that’s the beauty in being able to choose what motif you wear. You don’t have to wear them but we want to and there are 3 options to choose from.
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      My point is that I don’t want effects added to sets — more styles with glow are perfectly fine as the whole purpose of a style is cosmetic. Exactly, those who don’t like a style have no need to use it. Sorry if I misunderstood the intent of your post. I’m all for more cosmetic options not tied to game mechanics (sets/abilities). :)

Nope. You got it. That’s exactly what I want also. Just plain old motifs aside from set visuals. Would be nice if there were just a few more motifs with visuals that aren’t huge particle clouds.
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      No, please not more visual effec. We are already overwhelmed and swamped with blinky and shiny stuff. Yikes.

Like what lmao. Give me a huge list of motifs that have overwhelming blinky shiny stuff because I’ve looked through every single motif that exists and found close to none.. AND that’s exactly what I want so point me in the right direction then.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 7, 2023 6:48PM
    • EdjeSwift
      EdjeSwift
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Like what lmao. Give me a huge list of motifs that have overwhelming blinky shiny stuff because I’ve looked through every single motif that exists and found close to none..

You won't find them in motifs, you'll find them in gear sets, skills and crown store items.
      Antiquities Addict
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      It’s almost as if some of you stalk forum posts waiting for an opportunity to complain and police peoples wants and wishes because gamer elitism exists. Similar to people defending the horror RNG and exclusive non returning items because they want to protect their online status. Again don’t wear the motif if you don’t like it but there are literally thousands of us and millions world wide playing other titles who DO IN FACT like glowing items in a game world. To each their own granted but again you don’t have to wear it but we want to.

If you are against adding a single motif with a 2inch strip of glowing material MOVE ON. This post isn’t for you. I didn’t ask people to come here and try and argue with me and try and convince me why glowing gear is so horrible that not a single motif with glow should ever be added to the game in the lifetime of ESO ever again. I did not request peoples rebuttals. I said I want a few motifs that glow. Period.

Not sure what entitles people to think they get to decide what others like and are allowed to wear.

Don’t wear it if you don’t like it BUT I DO. Is that comprehensible?
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 7, 2023 6:58PM
    • Warhawke_80
      Warhawke_80
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I've never been a fan of spinning shiny....of course I realize that is diametric to High Fantasy.
      ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      EdjeSwift wrote: »
      You won't find them in motifs, you'll find them in gear sets, skills and crown store items.

Understood. That was part of our conversation above. The sets tend to have massive particle effects which are completely obnoxious opposed to motifs like Hollowjack which are more subtle and easier to wear. Kinda just want some basic motifs that have a subtle glow not a cloud of fire around the character.
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      There’s not a single post, comment, suggestion, or idea that I have posted on forums that wasn’t IMMEDIATELY followed by a mob of neighsayers directly arguing against it.

Again it’s almost as if some players sit on forums every waking second looking for something to disagree with. Instead of trying to argue with everyone you come across how about suggest solutions or compromises or ideas yourself.

I think some people just vehemently hate change and try to halt progression at all costs because of the discomfort they feel.

I’ve played this franchise and been a customer for more than 15 years. Stop coming to my posts to just comment “no bad idea” 🤦🏻‍♀️ idc how you feel about my outfits lol. It’s not up for discussion in fact. I want my clothes to glow. I’m shooting lighting bolts out of my hands and you’re actually trying to tell me my weapon shouldn’t glow it’s bad. Make it make sense.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 7, 2023 7:16PM
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Ah well. Nev'mind. We can just agree to disagree.
      Edited by TaSheen on December 7, 2023 8:52PM

• PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭

We could. Most of my earlier comments were suggesting that very idea. That some people may not like the idea but a lot of us do. I am not as combative as I may seem. There has repeatedly been a plethora of negative comments and somewhat aggressive responses on just about everything I’ve posted on ESO forums. There was also multiple comments one after another saying what I expected people to say but hoped they wouldn’t lol. Forgive me for coming across as angry. I was feeling overwhelmed at the time.
      Edited by PriestessAthena on December 9, 2023 3:15AM
    • jad11mumbler
      jad11mumbler
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I for one do like collecting sets with unique visual effects, and using on characters where it fits the theme.

174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
    • Soarora
      Soarora
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I think we should have more too. Only 2 seems like very few with how many we have. ZOS could continue with the Daedric theme and fill out the rest of the colors of the rainbow at least. Spiderkith red, Seeker green, Meridian yellow...
      PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
      • CP 2000+
      • Warden Healer - Arcanist Healer - Warden Brittleden - Stamarc - Sorc Tank - Necro Tank - Templar Tank - Arcanist Tank
      • Trials: 9/12 HMs - 3/8 Tris
      • Dungeons: 30/30 HMs - 24/24 Tris
      • All Veterans completed!

View my builds!
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

We could. Most of my earlier comments were suggesting that very idea. That some people may not like the idea but a lot of us do. I am not as combative as I may seem. There has repeatedly been a plethora of negative comments and somewhat aggressive responses on just about everything I’ve posted on ESO forums. There was also multiple comments one after another saying what I expected people to say but hoped they wouldn’t lol. Forgive me for coming across as angry. I was feeling overwhelmed at the time.

It's fine, you're fine. I'm.... perfectly happy with ESO the way it is right now - and since I'm old, I'm not.... really into the new graphics stuff at all. I tend to think that because this is a public forum, everyone should be able to post how they feel - but obviously that's maybe not always the case.

For reference, I played my first CRPG in 1985....

• PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      since I'm old

I unfortunately am also a relic of times past 😂 not at all far behind you. I would say around 1990 for my first. 👌
    • PriestessAthena
      PriestessAthena
      ✭✭✭
      Soarora wrote: »
      Spiderkith red, Seeker green, Meridian yellow...

Yea at least 1 that matches each “class” would be nice. Butttttt I’m sure they’re very busy making new crown crates 😂😏
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm actually pretty glad there isn't a ton of sets like this because they usually don't dye well. Otherwise, I'd like them more. But, I don't see the harm in adding a few more.

Edited by spartaxoxo on December 9, 2023 7:02AM
    • Araneae6537
      Araneae6537
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps likewise some immediate comments were triggered by people not liking effects that have been forced on various sets and skills and so reacting negatively to that without fully reading your post. I confess I was guilty of this in my first response — I think I misinterpreted that you were asking for effects on sets rather than motifs.

And while I’m all for people having options, including options I myself would not like, when people use a mount that summons like a meteor landing beside me or a recall that’s a flashing light show, while I can’t fault them for using options provided in the game, ughhh, it’s so obnoxious!

But I realize none of that is what you are asking for and I think it would be quite reasonable to have more styles and motifs with glow designs — even better if you could dye those elements, but different choices for sure! :)