Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 26:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – February 26

Is any of the Archive sets worth considering?

TheDarkRuler
TheDarkRuler
✭✭✭✭✭
I have tested the arcanist and warden sets for heals and was severely underwhelmed because the bonuses are either too neglible or not as strong as the established RoJo and SPC/Pillager combo in the meta. Right now I've finished farming Wrathsun and was disappointed as well, the overall dps is extremely lacking and you need to focus your build around weaker abilities of the already weak templar class.

At this point i wonder why i am even trying playing something else except Arcanist and the "established" metas. No new set seems to be worth the effort anymore. No new bangers. Your opinion?
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The necromancer set doesn't even work properly and has a bugged tooltip :hushed:
  • Dekrypted
    Dekrypted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    100% not the templar one. Wr*ths*n is honestly just not that great. 100% underwhelming and takes too long to even activate the set. The mobs would be dead before you even get halfway to proccing it.

I know the DK set is pretty good and the Nightblade one has some uses as well.
    PC NA
    March 2014 - December 2023
    No longer active

Templar Main
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    i haven't been able to use them yet, but Nobility in Decay seems fun for a tank
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of the sets are going to be a meta set anytime soon without changes, but they're fun little mess around and "see what I can do with these" sets. They're perfectly fine for a lot of content and having fun.
    Antiquities Addict
  • Ezhh
    Ezhh
    ✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I keep looking at the monolith of storms set wondering if there is just something with it we are all failing to see. I just can't reconcile how bad it is as being intended.

This. So many times this. It's hard to even get enough monoliths up for it to do anything. Nothing about the set plays into a decent rotation, and even if you get it to deal any damage at all, it's underwhelming.
  • HalfDragoness
    HalfDragoness
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the sets you got from here were inteded to be strongest when used for solo play where you haave to be a healer, tank, and dps. Or that's how I read the DK one anyway. But none of them seem to have anything I'd consider using as a pure dps or pure healer.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a Stamblade main I don't see anything worth grinding out among the archive. If the class sets were slightly more powerful or were 4 or less pieces and there was the possibility to acquire dungeon sets or reliable transmutation crystals in there, then it might have been worth grinding. Perhaps next year they'll add more sets to the archive for the other skill lines which may be worth it but they already kind of set pretty low expectations for this new content.

For the solo aspect, Soulcleaver seems like it would be good paired with Oakensoul but Ring of the Pale Order should be plenty sufficient in the solo aspect and it doesn't limit your skill bar so I don't see why we need a crutch set to fix one of the weakest skill lines in the game (Siphoning) when we could just buff all our skills with a better set.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the few good things that came from EA for me is a tanky DK build that works well for a lot of content. It relies on the magma shell. I have Elfs Bane to extend the time, but I was thinking of an ultimate generating set to help keep it up even longer. I did a search for said sets and was a bit surprised to see Basalt set show up. So I gave it a look. I have enough pieces to make a build, that's not the problem. The problem is that there are so many many pieces in the set that even with a good chunk the transmute crystal cost is 50 per. That's a lot. So I'm thinking of Bog something which I can try basically for free as my stickerbook is full.

The DK almost seems tailored for the EA. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. The time it takes is just out of line with the quality.
    PS5/NA
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of them are just meh, some of them are ok, none of them is usefull.
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrant_Tim wrote: »
    Our Nightblade set is the only one that looks like it could even have a niche, everything else simply has a better version elsewhere.

Big time failure on the class sets, a conversation I had recently with my guild, was that it would have been much better if the sets were 3 or 4 piece sets that provided a unique 2-piece and 3-piece like…

Wrathsun
    • 2 - Dawn’s Wrath skills cost 5% less.
    • 3 - Activating a Dawn’s Wrath skill grants the caster 10% increased damage to their next direct damage attack.
    • 4 - When you deal damage with a Dawn's Wrath ability, you gain a stack of Sunlight for 10 seconds, once per attack. You can have 40 stacks max and gain 12 Magicka Recovery per stack. When at max stacks, your Dawn's Wrath abilities deal 25% bonus damage and a Wrathful Nova is cast on the enemy, but you cannot refresh Sunlight. When Sunlight expires at max stacks, you lose 50% of your current Magicka.

This would have been a much better approach, as it wouldn’t have resulted in them trying to hijack our builds with minimal result.

This would've been an amazing change especially considering Mythics and Monster helmets.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a nightblade main I’m confused by all the somewhat positive posts about soul cleaver, ranging from “at least it buffs the skill line” to “they did a good job with that set”

How is it good?

I’ve been searching everywhere for any single post from anyone who really intends to use it, and also lists how or why they’re using it. And I really don’t see myself using any of the other class sets on alts either
  • Lykeion
    Lykeion
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I didn't feel any impact from the EA gear. They're not the Game Changer that the stream advertised them to be. They can't even be certain niches
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Is any of the Archive sets worth considering?

No.

At this point ZOS might as well delete 90% of the sets ingame.
    Lets just all play Pillars of Nirn, Relequen etc.etc.

So You think class sets from EA are really viable choice and it's only a metachasing that removes them from the spotlight?
    Edited by Galeriano on December 2, 2023 2:28PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expected the class specific EA sets when they were first announced to be clear meta choices to give our loadouts a shakeup and to really define the strengths between classes.

Instead we got some watered down class sets that provide minor buffs or produce some minor damage proc that isn’t worth choosing over the existing non class sets.

• woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Backbar necro set for pvp, DK set for pvp
    uwu
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    woe wrote: »
    Backbar necro set for pvp, DK set for pvp

Necro set is a bust, I farmed the whole stickerbook for it day one, golded it out, threw on tri-glyphs, and put it on the typical proc build and it provided zero defense whatsoever.

You’re better off running Daedric Trickery than the Necro set, or the DK one.
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a nightblade main I’m confused…

How is it good?

Back in the day, Magicka Nightblade used to be a ranged spec, that would use a majority of only Siphoning skills, now with that set, you can again.

Skills like…
    • Swallow Soul
    • Crippling Grasp
    • Healthy Offering
    • Siphoning Strikes
    • Power Extraction

With that skill line, we have a ranged spammable, a damage over time plus crowd control, a burst heal, resource return and healing upon basic attacks, and an area-of-effect direct damage skill that provides tons of free weapon and spell damage while reducing everyones’ around us on top of the Minor Defile enemies receive from it being Disease damage.

Now that we’ve established that every Siphoning Skill is useful, let’s take another look at the set Soulcleaver…

bwncwhspnml0.jpeg

18% Damage and Healing, with 18% Cost Reduction at the cost of 1 Ultimate per cast of them? If you’re not running Balorgh, you’re sitting on your ultimate waiting for a good burst window anyway, so that drawback is nothing.

Now, sure Soul Tether doesn’t get affected, and maybe that’s an oversight, but Incapacitating Strike costs next to nothing and does everything, and Ice Comet still slaps without the 10% damage you would get from comparable sets like Essence Thief, something sitting behind Soulcleaver by 8%.

Out of all of the new sets, Soulcleaver stands out as a set you can make work, and even excel with.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How is it good?

Back in the day, Magicka Nightblade used to be a ranged spec, that would use a majority of only Siphoning skills, now with that set, you can again.

Skills like…
    • Swallow Soul
    • Crippling Grasp
    • Healthy Offering
    • Siphoning Strikes
    • Power Extraction

With that skill line, we have a ranged spammable, a damage over time plus crowd control, a burst heal, resource return and healing upon basic attacks, and an area-of-effect direct damage skill that provides tons of free weapon and spell damage while reducing everyones’ around us on top of the Minor Defile enemies receive from it being Disease damage.

Now that we’ve established that every Siphoning Skill is useful, let’s take another look at the set Soulcleaver…

bwncwhspnml0.jpeg

18% Damage and Healing, with 18% Cost Reduction at the cost of 1 Ultimate per cast of them? If you’re not running Balorgh, you’re sitting on your ultimate waiting for a good burst window anyway, so that drawback is nothing.

Now, sure Soul Tether doesn’t get affected, and maybe that’s an oversight, but Incapacitating Strike costs next to nothing and does everything, and Ice Comet still slaps without the 10% damage you would get from comparable sets like Essence Thief, something sitting behind Soulcleaver by 8%.

Out of all of the new sets, Soulcleaver stands out as a set you can make work, and even excel with.

If this set was available before Funnel Health and Cripple were nerfed it would have been really popular. Now that all of the Syphoning skills are pretty much out of the Nightblade meta it is kinda niche for soloing where you want the cost reduction and extra healing from it, but doesn't give a enough positive impact to DPS to make it worth using for anything else. It would need to be a much higher % damage to compete with Pillar.
    Playing since beta...
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Short Answer.

No!

Long Answer.

If you want to try out some new builds that might not be as strong as current meta builds, but have some niche to theory craft around them, then NB, warden, arcanist, necro (assuming it actually works), DK and plar sets can be built around to have some fun with.

The sorcerer set is a hard NO! Don't even bother with this set. The set does nothing interesting and is nothing but a horrible generic proc set that has very clunky conditions to proc it that actively nerfs your build to run it.
    The set is not only extremely clunky to use, forcing you to actively run bad abilities to proc it somewhat reliably, but the proc that it has doesn't even match super old (base game) sets like Niraneth or Illambris for damage (especially Illambris which 1 half of Illambris' proc, easily out damages (>2x) the full proc of Monolith of storms).
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    kojou wrote: »

How is it good?

Skills like…
    • Swallow Soul
    • Crippling Grasp
    • Healthy Offering
    • Siphoning Strikes
    • Power Extraction

bwncwhspnml0.jpeg

If this set was available before Funnel Health and Cripple were nerfed it would have been really popular. Now that all of the Syphoning skills are pretty much out of the Nightblade meta it is kinda niche for soloing where you want the cost reduction and extra healing from it, but doesn't give a enough positive impact to DPS to make it worth using for anything else. It would need to be a much higher % damage to compete with Pillar.

Oh, there’s the disconnect; I was talking from a purely PvP perspective. For PvE, none of the sets are best in slot.

With Soulcleaver, you can get your Swallow Soul to hit harder than Concealed Weapon on a build running Essence Thief, not even taking into account the ridiculous power your Healthy Offering will have.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lykeion wrote: »
    To be honest, I didn't feel any impact from the EA gear. They're not the Game Changer that the stream advertised them to be. They can't even be certain niches

Agree. Good point. I also didn't feel new Archive set will change current building direction.
    It's for very specific purpose only.

Only Arcanist set is meaningful for my healer. Because it has extra sharing damage shield
    function for group combat.

I have already all DK Archive set, but
    I don't want to consider use it for my DK tank. Current gear is better.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".