Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ToT: are you interested in new decks?

• OgrimTitan
    OgrimTitan
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can't wait for the next one
    Still trying to figure out how ToT was sold as a primary feature and dev time and money went into the project.

It just doesn’t make sense WITHIN the ESO universe. Making a game like Foxes & Felines or something basic like darts would be more at home in the world of ESO.

Says who? So they got veterinarians, mass education, things like meteorology or lawers, germ theory, genes understanding, but no, the XXI card game is too much. Don't be silly.

• Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToT is dead. 😉

(I am German, so this is funny)
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Xandreia_
    Xandreia_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    I tried the card game and it was ruined by my opponent back seat gaming whispering me what to do lol, haven't tried it again and probably never will. Doesn't appeal to me what so ever!
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, I never was
    No interest on ToT in general.

Not criticising the quality of the game itself, that would be rich coming from someone who hasn't even finished the introductory quest, just the fact that I have no interest in these kind of games.
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    Barely spend time with ToT, still rank 4. Though it is/was fun most of the time.

Getting to know the four base decks was alright, but every time a new deck comes out, it is like a whole new game. Which sucks and is too much of a waste of time to continue with it. Due to having to relearn the game.

Besides that, matches take too long. Especially when compared to the rewards they give.
    And having to run ESO, a very heavy on resources game, to play a cardgame in it is stupid. Make an app for that, so we can play ToT without having to keep the game running. Just let us log in our ESO account on the ToT app, have us select a character, and after playing a ToT game mail the rewards to that character. This could even draw in new players to ESO who will make an account only to play ToT on the app, eventually they would have to log into the game to clean out their ToT reward mails. Causing them to maybe fall in love with ESO as well.

PS: Even worse is when NPC's pick a deck you do not even own. Having to learn on the go.
    PPS: Even more stupid is the NPC's using the same patron over and over each turn, for example sacrificing a card to gain prestige. Can barely keep up with that if you play normally. Weren't patrons only to be used when they weren't favored by that player? (to prevent spamming patrons)
    Edited by Sarannah on December 1, 2023 10:10AM
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    320-370 watts power from the wall on most gaming pc. No way I will play a card game within an Action MMO. No.Matter if I liked it or not. This card game needs ported to a low power device like a phone or tablet. Common sense really.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    OgrimTitan wrote: »
    It just doesn’t make sense WITHIN the ESO universe. Making a game like Foxes & Felines or something basic like darts would be more at home in the world of ESO.

Says who? So they got veterinarians, mass education, things like meteorology or lawers, germ theory, genes understanding, but no, the XXI card game is too much. Don't be silly.

What doesn't make sense is that there are no simple game-supported tavern games that we can play in Tamriel. To me, ToT feels out of place because it is closer to the end of the evolutionary line than the beginning. It is like carts appearing before the wheel was invented. Mass education appearing before people started teaching.

It is complicated, it's introduction and how it appears in the world feels rushed and poorly thought out, and it has a high bar that means it would not exist before other, more approachable, games were invented.

ZOS should have started with simple tavern games, or at least included them in a suite of games introduced at the same time.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Flameweaver1951
    Flameweaver1951
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    I find it telling that 68% of the votes are from players, myself included, that never had any interest in the game in the first place.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    OgrimTitan wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out how ToT was sold as a primary feature and dev time and money went into the project.

CCG games are, as far as I’ve seen, all extensions of various stories / franchises as another way of taking part in these worlds, as well as the elements of strategy. To me, ToT seems like the equivalent of a irl CCG that used various political, religious, and mythological figures, etc. Now a game focused on some portion of that, sure. Like, since ToT was introduced with High Isle, if it was about knights and lords, perhaps figures of legend, it would have a cohesive theme within the world of Tamriel — or it could be something entirely fictional like many such games in our world. But having it contain representatives all these disparate entities of Tamriel, with the most obvious connection the player’s experiences, that is why I say it is not a game that would logically exist in Tamriel. (Now if it were a game created by daedra, as either an interpretation or mockery of the mortal realm, that might be interesting…)
  • EnerG
    EnerG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love tot but it's hard to play now with the newer decks cause idk how to play those, so I wish competitive came with weekly usable decks.
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very much so, although I wouldn’t like to judge how well I learn to use them. I’m particularly unsure how to use the Almalexia deck, although I don’t have my own to practise at will. Whereas Druid King has several excellent agents and Hermaeus Mora is easier to collect.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I was, but have given up
    I used to like ToT, so much I completed the questline and, every now and then, would sit down to play an NPC and relax. What was nice about it was the fact you could go for a faster game by choosing a novice or enjoy a fun challenge by playing a founder or expert. The dynamics changed considerably. Now novices spam patrons, even when they gain little to nothing from it, and playing them is an annoying slog. The rewards aren't worth the extra time and nuisance.

I did get this year's new decks, but Almalexia fragments just dropped as I played Necrom and the Hermes Moron (an NPC in Apocrypha calls the tentacle prince that) parts dropped from EA and I bought the last one just to get the achievement. To be quite honest, I preferred the original decks. They're more straightforward and less wacky.

Disclaimer: I haven't played ToT in months, so if the devs reversed the AI changes (which I highly doubt), my comments are then outdated.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tales of midbute

Shame on Bethesda/Zenimax for abandoning Elder Scrolls Legends, a far superior & more fun card game.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    Too many decks already and the more they the worse they seem to get.
    PS5/NA
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    removing this massively unpopular, low quality content from the game would do a lot to bring me back. i’m on indefinite leave after U40 ate it hard.

getting back to basics would show they actually care about the core game which is falling apart.
  • DarthCuddlefluff
    DarthCuddlefluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I can just about keep up
    Okay so ToT is a major problem to the game, but I feel there is a solution. First let me outline why ToT is a problem. Why do new decks exist? Well it's the same scam as any card game. It's to largely invalidate previous decks so that when the new one comes out you buy the expansion and collect it. It's a method to keep you buying. For some decks like Herma Mora this isn't a massive problem because it's pretty well levels the battlefield with how it works and it isn't annoyingly long to use or have frustrating mechanics. It works with other decks and you can totally use other decks to win. Then there's problem decks (or as I call them, "cheat decks") whose problems are massive in that they totally invalidate the other decks being used. If you do not use that deck in any capacity you are boned. On top of that almalexia has pretty frustrating and overpowered mechanics to deal with and once any momentum is gained using it, it can be impossible to stop it. I would say (in my estimation) that Rahjin, Psijic, Pelin, Halaalu, Eagle King, Herma Mora, Crows, and Ansai are all very workable decks and that Druid King and Almelexia almost completely invalidate other deck use, the latter being worse than the former. Sorc-king I feel used to be in this territory as well but was rightfully nerfed and now functions pretty well as a standard deck.

On top of that a ton of people I have talked to and I seem to be running into the same totally coincidental problem. Either you get all the good draws and get off all sorts of combos and the cards replace well in your favor all at once and throughout the whole game with no exception, or it's the opponent that gets that with zero in between. So weird how that keeps happening. I am not a conspiracy theorist or I would say that the entire game seems per-determined but since I am not that I think we can all agree that this is just very strange universal RNG.

Anyway to fix all this, and maybe not have the MMO focus on also making a card game balanced I think it would be really neat if ToT were an app on your phone, or a separate game, or both that you can connect to your account and play on the go or anywhere. The app/game could cost, say, 6.99 and require you to still collect those in game deck fragments to unlock. In fact if you think about it, ZoS stands to make MORE money off of this if they did it that way. Oh and I suppose that with a different code, perhaps these coincidences could cease to be and decks wouldn't have to completely invalidate the use of other decks. But that is just my two cents. Or 6.99 if ZoS is listening. :)
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not a conspiracy theorist or I would say that the entire game seems per-determined but since I am not that I think we can all agree that this is just very strange universal RNG.

The game has a bad tutorial. I think a lot of players' only strategy is to go for the cards that are probably too powerful and can carry games if RNG is bad enough. And thus, they think RNG plays a bigger factor than it does. I have won plenty of games where an opponent gets the better RNG, but they squander their lead and I end up winning.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 5, 2023 1:18PM
  • DarthCuddlefluff
    DarthCuddlefluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I am not a conspiracy theorist or I would say that the entire game seems per-determined but since I am not that I think we can all agree that this is just very strange universal RNG.

The game has a bad tutorial so a lot of players are simply bad at the game. They then blame RNG, as is common in card games. I think a lot of players' only strategy is to go for the cards that are probably too powerful and can carry games if RNG is bad enough. And thus, they think RNG plays a bigger factor than it does. I have won plenty of games where an opponent gets the better RNG, but they squander their lead and I end up winning.

Sure, that happens. But uhh, the majority of games I play by a ratio of probably 5:1 I get the cards that should let me win, and my opponent goes for cards that they want to win (or double or triple dip into other decks) and they get combos perfectly all the time and I don't get a single combo even though roughly half my cards are of a like color. Which is totally RNG and a coincidence and not a mechanic or something intended whatsoever. All my friends and I who play this game are just getting eerily exactly the same circumstances despite me knowing that they know the game and card games in general like Gwint. It's a very weird experience but hey 5:1 odds happening on a regular basis to people who know what they are doing has to happen some time in an infinite universe.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There was a time when I actually had some fun playing ToT, even though I was mostly playing for the furniture and the house guest. But now ToT really annoys me, these constant changes in the way the NPCs play, the increasingly meager rewards, the linking of Antiquity leads to ToT, the lousy RNG...
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I'm falling behind
    Why do new decks exist? Well it's the same scam as any card game. It's to largely invalidate previous decks so that when the new one comes out you buy the expansion and collect it. It's a method to keep you buying.

The poll results seem to indicate that this only applies to a very small percentage of the players.

The result also strongly suggests there's constant 'erosion' of this group of players going on, with increasing shares of players who, for whatever reason, can't keep up or have dropped out.

I think we can assume that more decks being added are more likely to deter than attract new players.

In other words, on its current trajectory the 'well' of active players will run dry soon.

At some point, to keep any population in the game, the concept that decks are allowed if only one player has them will have to go. There at least will have to be some mode where it's required for both participants to have the deck, if only to let new players ease into the game.

Edited by Muizer on December 5, 2023 2:54PM
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    I was never interested in the game but put some effort in to learn because I wanted some of its rewards like dyes/houseguests.

It's literally its own game; I'd rather do something else with my time than learn a new game. I use League of Legends for my competitive itch.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • ZDunlain
    ZDunlain
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    I mean, check the poll and then see how many changes each patch are specifically for PvP compared to ToT lol
    Edited by ZDunlain on December 5, 2023 7:09PM
    PvP player
  • dutchusuk
    dutchusuk
    ✭✭✭
    No, I never was
    Only did the first quest to get rid of the annoying npc.