Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Time control devices don't affect projecting windows(?)

MotherOfMoss
MotherOfMoss
✭✭✭
Saw an earlier thread about this here but rather than necro a year-old discussion I thought to create a new one.

It appears to me that the Alkosh hourglass does not affect the projection power of various light-casting windows. It has been suggested it's due to weather, but that doesn't seem right based on what I've observed. Instead I'm guessing the windows still behave in accordance with game-time, unchanged by the hourglass.

Thoughts on whether this is the case?

(If it is the case, it would certainly be lovely to be able to control the window projections with the hourglass... or, without it ;) )
PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    in Highallow Hold and Water's Edge my windows cast light when i set the time to afternoon.

i don't think it works for all houses though
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To my observation it does work, but the weather is often the bane to no light.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My observation has been that the windows adhere to game time, not Alkosh.

I have a home in clockwork city (Observatory Prior), where there is no weather change.

The windows projecting light is not dependant on Alkosh time, they are dependant on game time.

If its day time in game, and alkosh set to midnight, there is no light projection.
    Adversely.
    If its night time in game, and alkosh set to day time, there is light projection.

In both cases the light projection is opposite of what it should be in the respective Alkosh state, that is Alkosh has no affect on the windows projection or not. The only factor that does is game time.

Not sure if this is a per house issue, weather issue, or what. But at least in Observatory Prior the window projection is based on game time.

Taken during the day in game time. Alkosh set to midnight.
    6gyf7srw8rqn.png

Taken during the night in game time. Alkosh set to midnight.
    ffhfvzz9ltxr.png

Edited by Pixiepumpkin on November 22, 2023 6:59AM
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • AyleidOlli4
    AyleidOlli4
    Soul Shriven
    I'm not sure what the difference is between ''Alkosh time'' and ''Game time'' but as far as i can say, in my Ayleid Palace (Coldharbour Surreal Estate) the time does not affect the light shining through the windows but the weather does.
    When i changed the time with the ''Chronometer of the Tribunal'' to morning, midday, midnight, sunrise etc it had zero effect on the light that is being emitted by the windows.
    However the weather does have an effect on it or is this something new?, am i missing something? or am i experiencing a bug?
    Edited by AyleidOlli4 on November 26, 2023 9:57AM
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the difference is between ''Alkosh time'' and ''Game time'' but as far as i can say, in my Ayleid Palace (Coldharbour Surreal Estate) the time does not affect the light shining through the windows but the weather does.
    When i changed the time with the ''Chronometer of the Tribunal'' to morning, midday, midnight, sunrise etc it had zero effect on the light that is being emitted by the windows.
    However the weather does have an effect on it or is this something new?, am i missing something? or am i experiencing a bug?

Akosh time is when you are using the Chronometer
    Game time is when you are not using the Chronometer

There is no weather in Clockwork city, and none at the Orbservatory Prior. The windows emit/project light only when game time is at night, irrespective of what the Chronometer is set to.

"𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • MotherOfMoss
    MotherOfMoss
    ✭✭✭
    The windows emit/project light only when game time is at night, irrespective of what the Chronometer is set to.

This is also how it appears to me. You can have the hourglass/chronometre set permanently to night, for instance, and the windows will still change according to game time rather than stay on all the time. I've never noticed weather having an effect on this (my latest build is in Hunding where it is pretty much 100% clear skies).
    PC-EU | Long-time fan of TES Online: Furnishing and fashion simulator with massively multiplayer online chatting features.
  • NoticeMeArkay
    NoticeMeArkay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The windows react to ingame time, not to it's display. Certain houses make use of a skybox and envonrimental light that's supposed to cover any sign of time progressing.

It would be real great if those windows wouldn't automatically change but instead had an "activate/deactivate" toggle, so they'd be usable in all houses.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One of the MOST annoying features of many of the windows that produce a reflection is that even in pre-built houses these reflections ignore floors/levels too!

For example in Ebonheart Chateaux I placed Vampiric Stained Glass Windows over the windows directly ahead as you enter the Chateaux.....

The reflections of those windows now also appear in the basement, it's really annoying and ofc if you actually build from scratch.... well tbh I've stopped using any window that produces a reflection ..... they are a nightmare to deal with!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »
    One of the MOST annoying features of many of the windows that produce a reflection is that even in pre-built houses these reflections ignore floors/levels too!

For example in Ebonheart Chateaux I placed Vampiric Stained Glass Windows over the windows directly ahead as you enter the Chateaux.....

The reflections of those windows now also appear in the basement, it's really annoying and ofc if you actually build from scratch.... well tbh I've stopped using any window that produces a reflection ..... they are a nightmare to deal with!

I did this is my most recent home. I had to place a blue "light source" in the lower level to account for the window projection leaking downstairs.

I personally do not understand why they don't include light blocking in furniture objects, or why we don't have lights that work as spolights. Based on my limited understanding, those would reduce shadow calculations and increase performance, and be more accurate/asthetically pleasing.
    PC/NA