Update 41 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of February 19:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 7:00AM EST (12:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – February 21, 5:00 UTC (12:00AM EST) - 17:00 UTC (12:00PM EST)

Share your tips for the Infinite Archive for our console friends!

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi all! Our friends on console will be able to dive into the Infinite Archive for the first time starting next Tuesday! With console launch quickly approaching, share some of your tips, tricks, or experience to help set new players for Infinite Archive success! We also have some community guides available here for everyone to reference.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on December 17, 2023 10:30PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother taking a Sorc... unlike any other group PVE content, pets get killed in EA, and from Arc 3 boss forward that death is pretty much instant, so Sorc tanks have no reliable self heal, and Sorc dps is going to underperform since so much of their damage is loaded into their pets.

This is true, but if you are a less experienced player and just want to do arc 1 (at least at first), pet sorc is okay for that, so don’t be discouraged if that’s what you’re most comfortable on. I did my first successful solo and solo + companion completions of arc 1 on a heavy attack oakensorc build.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun and don’t be discouraged! Try another approach, seek help if you’re having difficulty with something, you’ll get better and the eventual victory will be all the sweeter. Going with a friend is also much easier and a lot of fun! :smiley:
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What is this “Arc 1” and “Arc 3” etc that you folks are mentioning?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't bother taking a Sorc... unlike any other group PVE content, pets get killed in EA, and from Arc 3 boss forward that death is pretty much instant, so Sorc tanks have no reliable self heal, and Sorc dps is going to underperform since so much of their damage is loaded into their pets.

I agree somewhat with this except they do have critical surge for healing which is substantial if you build for it. Though if I am being honest I have never been a fan of pet heals on my sorcs.

My advice however is ignore the rules you've learned about PvP and PvE builds and build specifically for Endless Archives and synergizing with the vision/verse buffs found in it.
    love is love
  • EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    Understand what your skills do and how visions/verses affect them, sometimes things don't work the way you think they should.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a verse for a boss fight from the fliers to make it easier, if you win you'll always at least break even. Those mysterious verses can be lifesavers.

Also, read the verse descriptions when you choose, you just might skip something really good if you just skim over it like I did with the Guardian of Pestilence and it's insane utility.

The minigames may seem daunting/difficult, but with a bit of practice they're all beatable.

And finally, just have fun, it's a game.
    Edited by EdjeSwift on November 10, 2023 11:06PM
    Antiquities Addict
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Be sure to remove and re-equip one piece of each gear set you are wearing, including mythics, after you finish a phase where you are transformed. Currently on PC, being transformed usually disables your gear stats, effects, and procs.

If you use a companion, I've found that having them cast Crimson Font and Skeletal Aegis helps them stay alive, as well as giving you synergies that are quite effective in trash fights. And don't expect them to survive certain boss, and any marauder or Tho'at fights, because mechanics will kill them every time. Prepare to solo those.

Finally, the new bosses require you to interrupt to avoid being one shotted, so prepare to have enough resources to bash and stun fairly frequently (yes, the trash in some boss fights will kill you, if you don't stop them). And purchase the upgrades as soon as you have enough currency, as they will make your life a whole lot easier in the Endless Archive.

This is very true. I hope it gets fixed but if you are using RotPO you need to take it off and on before the fight. Really really sucks to be stuck in combat and a marauder show up while you are handicapped by useless ring. It happens with 50-60% of the encounters.

Also ranged companions will stand behind wall and shoot at it. Or they will launch enemies off the edge so you can’t get out of combat. Can’t leave either. If you wait long enough you will just die. Losing a thread of course, hopefully not your last.

Just prepare for frustration. It only takes about an hour or so to get to the difficult content that will kill you in 30 seconds.
  • adamsmith42
    adamsmith42
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree somewhat with this except they do have critical surge for healing which is substantial if you build for it. Though if I am being honest I have never been a fan of pet heals on my sorcs.

My advice however is ignore the rules you've learned about PvP and PvE builds and build specifically for Endless Archives and synergizing with the vision/verse buffs found in it.

Crit surge is pretty useless on a tank w/ 13% crit rate... I bring it up b/c one of the people I play with a lot is really frustrated with EA... he *only* plays the sorc (but has gotten every DLC dungeon trifecta as dps, heal and tank on it) He mostly tanks now, but unlike any other group PvE content, it's just not very viable without being able to rely on that clanfear heal.
  • Pelanora
    Pelanora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't start it unless you have a clear 2 to 4 hours to play...... and it's many more hours than that to get to higher levels
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The content is designed for two players but can be done with less although the experience isn't necessarily that good.

If you need help and bring someone in before a boss fight, they get loot.

The weekly leaderboards appear to give everyone that does a run rewards on a character basis for both solo and duo (you with another player or you with a companion). So, if you just want the sets and have some patience just do short solo and duo runs on a character and close the runs out then hop to the next.

Edit: It appears they have updated the leaderboards to have some standards/bugged them

You will need something to heal yourself.

The Marauders you get after the first go around hurt and can run you out of space with some of their effects. If you die, they go away. They do drop nice loot tho.

Fighting the Dragons stinks. Be prepared to block and move based on the mechanics or you will die fast and you don't have much room without going off the edge.

Like the other said, some of the side missions that transform you have a bug that takes away buffs provided by items so you may need to re-equip them to get them back.

This has been fixed at least in the PC client

The encounters are very hard on pets/companions so, don't have high expectations for either. You can call your companion back to try to avoid some of the red but it doesn't always work.

Some of the bosses can one shot pretty much any build so you need to try to follow the mechanics.

Some of the verses are fun, some are quite potent, and some can feel quite pointless on some builds.

Some of the fights can be a bit flashy.
    Edited by chessalavakia_ESO on November 14, 2023 12:12AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For sorc tanks the clanfear dispawning easily is a problem they have to work around for sure, but I disagree about dps. I went in super casually on my stamsorc to take a break from my NB, and I don't use any pets on that character, and even without any build preparation, I still made it to arc 4. Not saying they shouldn't fix the pet issue, only that it's not dramatic (and if you check the leaderboards, sorc have some of the highest scores and more number of players past arc 6).

Elvenheart wrote: »
    I randomly picked one called Eye Catching which every 30 seconds summons an Eye that draws mobs to attack it for a 15 seconds, and reduces their damage dealt by 40% for 15 seconds.

I second that verse, it's really handy and can be a life saver during trash fights in the later arcs. The only thing I find tricky is the synergy, it takes a bit to activate. Maybe it's a gamepad UI issue or maybe it's because the animation of it is clanky. This is the reason why I don't use the ''postulent globules'' verse, even though it's good, the synergy is a bit clanky so it's risky to try and activate in the later arcs where there's a lot of incoming damage. ''Shackled resolve'' is another good one, it gives you a shield and helps a lot with mitigation. From the offensive ones, I like ''flame aura'', it's a permanent fire AoE around your character, a bit like the proc from Grothdar, and it does nice damage. The ''fire orbs'' also do damage but you have to position optimally to make use of them and it takes some micromanagement. Another great defensive one is ''rebirth'' because it's like a temporary extra thread, so if you die your character instead becomes immune to damage and then gets healed, it's a bit like some older sets like Phoenix and one of the Yokedas used to work.

For the visions, it depends on one's build but the transformation ones are really strong. You get to transform into an ice or iron atronach, or a werewolf, and have all sorts of crazy skills and stats, but to get them you need to stack three of the same vision, and then you need to get a verse that activates the transformation for that round. So there's multiple RNG steps involved and you're more likely to get them the further you go along, though personally I haven't had good RNG with them.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's basically the same as with every other new bit of somewhat challenging content:

1) Don't stress yourself, but do a few runs with next to no expectations regarding progress to get a hang of the whole scenario. Also focus on learning mechanics in the beginning instead of killing the enemies fast. This way you'll have a much easier time in consecutive runs.

2) I recommend to run with a buddy, at least at the beginning. Besides it's being fun to experience new challenges together, 4 eyes see more than 2. You can also resurrect each other, thus lenghten your time in there.

3) Use a somewhat self-sufficient build with good defenses instead of a high-dps glass-cannon.

4) Expect bugs to happen (there are still quite a lot around).

5) The most important thing: Have fun!
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Marauder Gauthmau (the Havocrel, four arms) shows up at all, you better have a real tank otherwise you're likely to lose a life. That one is way more dangerous than Arc 3 Tho'at.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surviving Marauders and Arc 3-4 should be your goal, instead of faster DPS (there aren't many DPS races, but Arcs 6+ duo or 3+ solo become a slog even with good damage).

You seem to need about 30-35k health and ~28-30k armor to survive the marauders, even on arc 2 when damage is lower. I've seen people survive them this way even on Oakensoul builds with just 1-2 heals. Recovery can keep you alive, and penetration can speed you up.

Most reliable source I found for penetration cap:

Tho'at armor: 18200
    All other enemies: 9100
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a ps5 player I took out pen and paper for this thread but everyone is writing what is obvious, companions suck in ea and it gets harder the further you go
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I've seen anyone mention it yet, but you can Quick Slot the 1-time use Verses that you get after completing the Archive for the first time. You also earn them killing Marauders or by purchasing them from vendors. I like using the Quick Slotted consumable Verse when a Marauder appears, but you can only use one per Cycle, so you won't have a bonus Verse for Tho'at if you use one on the 5th Cycle. I like using a consumable Verse for Tho'at on Arc 3 and higher.

I believe they also don't explain it in game, but the UI for your position in the Archive: Arc, Cycle, Stage are in that order, and if you hover over them with a cursor it doesn't tell you which is which unfortunately.

There are permanent upgrades you can by from the vendor who is on the platform who's stall is only visibly accessible until you approach it. It's a cool animation as a bridge appears, but it can be hard to find. Those aforementioned permanent upgrades are really helpful but you have to complete the Doors to the Unknown enough times to unlock them. You might not have the opportunity to decide which to unlock first, by my partner and I prioritized an additional Vision selection and we don't regret it.

The alternative route in Doors to the Unknown have no risk or drawback, so you can freely attempt one if you have the time. You can also leave without having to attempt it by just returning to the portal without walking forward if you get one you don't like.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nebs wrote: »
    The alternative route in Doors to the Unknown have no risk or drawback, so you can freely attempt one if you have the time. You can also leave without having to attempt it by just returning to the portal without walking forward if you get one you don't like.

If I remember correctly, these permanent upgrades are also account wide, but can someone who has bought one confirm that? Also, I kind of wish that instead of getting two portals to choose from when a portal of the unknown comes up alongside the regular portal, that just the regular portal would come up every time but SOMETIMES it would be hijacked and take us to the unknown areas as a nice surprise. I understand why they wanted to make it a choice though.
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    Nebs wrote: »

If I remember correctly, these permanent upgrades are also account wide, but can someone who has bought one confirm that? Also, I kind of wish that instead of getting two portals to choose from when a portal of the unknown comes up alongside the regular portal, that just the regular portal would come up every time but SOMETIMES it would be hijacked and take us to the unknown areas as a nice surprise. I understand why they wanted to make it a choice though.

Yes, they're all account wide 😁
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭
    Copy/paste of some build advice I gave in another thread. Works well if you're struggling on the early arcs, needs even more health/resistance if you want to clear the later ones (with damage coming from the visions you gather).
    If you are going to solo this, you are the tank, dd and healer all in one. Some general advice that works for PvP builds works here as well:
    • Armor: use 3 pieces heavy reinforced for the big body pieces (head/chest/legs). Combined with major/minor resolve this will give you a decent amount of resistance.
    • Attributes: don't put everything in mag or stam. Aim to hit 30k health, more if you feel insecure.
    • Weapons: run your offensive weapon of choice on the frontbar, use ice staff or 1h & shield on the backbar. Don't forget to switch to your backbar when needed, and to actually use block.
    • Skills: depending on your class you'll need a shield and/or a burst heal.
    • Mythics: if you have access to it, Ring of the Pale Order is your best friend for solo content.
    • Champion points: Don't use 4 offensive blue CP skills, add in some defense as well. Focused Mending (+10% on single target heals) can be very good to boost your burst heal. Ironclad (-6% damage taken from direct damage attacks) is always strong.
    Also keep in mind that a lot of heavy hitting boss mechanics are aoe, designed to take out a group of players. This makes minor/major evasion a very strong defensive buff.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    Copy/paste of some build advice I gave in another thread. Works well if you're struggling on the early arcs, needs even more health/resistance if you want to clear the later ones (with damage coming from the visions you gather).
    If you are going to solo this, you are the tank, dd and healer all in one. Some general advice that works for PvP builds works here as well:
    • Armor: use 3 pieces heavy reinforced for the big body pieces (head/chest/legs). Combined with major/minor resolve this will give you a decent amount of resistance.
    • Attributes: don't put everything in mag or stam. Aim to hit 30k health, more if you feel insecure.
    • Weapons: run your offensive weapon of choice on the frontbar, use ice staff or 1h & shield on the backbar. Don't forget to switch to your backbar when needed, and to actually use block.
    • Skills: depending on your class you'll need a shield and/or a burst heal.
    • Mythics: if you have access to it, Ring of the Pale Order is your best friend for solo content.
    • Champion points: Don't use 4 offensive blue CP skills, add in some defense as well. Focused Mending (+10% on single target heals) can be very good to boost your burst heal. Ironclad (-6% damage taken from direct damage attacks) is always strong.
    Also keep in mind that a lot of heavy hitting boss mechanics are aoe, designed to take out a group of players. This makes minor/major evasion a very strong defensive buff.

I have spent the weekend building a magplar for endless archive and done worldbosses and solo group dungeons for practice, gonna be interesting to see how far i can get i EA, hoping at least get past Arc 2 solo.