Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What's the Height Limit in These Homes?

AlCiao
AlCiao
✭✭✭
1. Ossa Accentium
2. Pantherfang Chapel
3. Kushalit Sanctuary
4. Moon-Sugar Meadow
5. Lakemire Xanmeer Manor
6. Shalidor's Shrouded Realm
7. Varlaisvea
8. Amaya Lake Lodge

If you own any of those homes, you can find out either by using the Magic Carpet addon to climb up, or buying the cheap Limestone Steps from the Alinor Home Goods furnisher and building a temporary staircase up, until you hit the invisible ceiling.

I like building towers in my outdoor homes, and I especially like it if I can build higher than anything else in or around the home, or at least as high.

For anyone interested, here are the height limits I've tested out in the homes I do own.

Red Eagle Aerie: The invisible ceiling is exactly the root height of the tallest tower (the one behind you from existing the West staircase). Magnificent view of Markarth though, but you already had that from the balcony.

Grand Psijic Villa: Disappointingly, you can't get very high at all.

Serenity Falls Estate: Same.

Exorcised Coven Cottage: Surprisingly, you can get very high here, far above the cottage and walls, albeit it's a narrow cylinder bound the fence. View is decent, though partially fog-shrouded.

Emissary's Enclave: The invisible ceiling is about the height of the tiptop of the two prongs at the top of the tower. You can stand on the roof between those prongs. Decent view of the docks on one side and Necrom on the other, though you're not taller than the mountains and can't see over those.

Hunding's Palatial Hall: The invisible ceiling is slightly higher than the tiptop of the tower. You can build the tallest structure around, and have a great view of Stros M'Kai and the ocean.

Kelesan'ruhn: You can't build particularly high.

Doomchar Plateau: You can build very high, much higher than the one structure, more or less on par with all the mountains around you in the distance. Magnificent view, so long as you like lava.

Hall of the Lunar Champion: For Halls of the Colossus, you can build up to around the height of the pillars, if memory serves. For Lion's Cradle you can build surprisingly far out from the railing and fairly high up, with great views of the forested mountains below, but nowhere near as high as the mountain behind the portal there.

Agony's Ascent: You can build amazingly high, which makes sense given the height of the central tower. You can build tall enough to stand on the rooftop, though not much taller than that. Sadly, the view is terrible, nothing but fog. Please fix this, ZOS!

Antiquarian's Alpine Gallery: You can build pretty high, but not higher than the mountains. Decent view of Skyrim woodland.

Orbservatory Prior: On the front platform, you can't build too high, and if you try to go very far below the platform level, you'll hit the "auto-die" plane that would trigger if you jumped XD In the observatory sections, you can't build out through the gaps in the orrery.

Any information about the height limit (and the quality of the views there) in other houses is welcome as well, though I personally am mostly curious about the houses I listed up top. Thanks!
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i dont know about all those houses, but i do know that in Sweetwater cascades and Pantherfang chapel the invisible ceiling is like a dome so the height limit isn't the same in the whole house.
    so i assume it's the same way in some other houses

edited to add:
    in Pantherfang chapel the height limit is above the chapel
    Edited by LunaFlora on November 8, 2023 11:43PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    i dont know about all those houses, but i do know that in Sweetwater cascades and Pantherfang chapel the invisible ceiling is like a dome so the height limit isn't the same in the whole house.
    so i assume it's the same way in some other houses

edited to add:
    in Pantherfang chapel the height limit is above the chapel

I didn't realize the dome part, thanks!

Wow really? That's great! I was afraid it'd be capped lower than that. I might consider buying it when it goes on sale next week then.

Edit: How much higher than the chapel?
    Edited by AlCiao on November 9, 2023 12:03AM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    above the chapel i got up to y: 39,122 and near above the water it went downwards

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    while it wasnt mentioned, ill note that with the grand topal hideaway there is an invisible wall near the top of the volcano, you cant quite build high enough to actually go over the volcano
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    above the chapel i got up to y: 39,122 and near above the water it went downwards

The number doesn't tell me anything, since I don't own the place and can't check what the numbers correlate to.
    while it wasnt mentioned, ill note that with the grand topal hideaway there is an invisible wall near the top of the volcano, you cant quite build high enough to actually go over the volcano

Unsurprising, but good to know, thanks.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    well how else am i supposed to give you the height limit besides numbers?

the entrance of the house is y:29,824.
    and the chapel entrance is y:31,498.
    chapel roof is y:37,422.

🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    well how else am i supposed to give you the height limit besides numbers?

the entrance of the house is y:29,824.
    and the chapel entrance is y:31,498.
    chapel roof is y:37,422.

Yes, I was talking about in reference to towertops and roof heights, thanks :smiley:
  • AlCiao
    AlCiao
    ✭✭✭
    I discovered that you can go on PTS and automatically get all houses there! So I was able to check out several height limits for myself. For anyone who is interested, here's what I found. For reference, I made a bunch of High Isle Stairway, Tilework to climb up into the sky, In most cases where there wasn't an easy reference point (a tower for example) in the house, I measured the height level by approximate number of stairs needed to reach it.

First are the houses that wound up being the best, in my opinion. Generally the metrics I went by were not only height, but the views, and whether or not the max height was taller than anything else around.

Fogbreak Lighthouse: This is far and away the best one. An astonishingly high limit, well above the lighthouse top (which is itself pretty high), with fantastic, unbroken, scenic views as you're the highest thing around. The rocky promontory in the center of the island can be walked on and is also perfect for building things on top of.

Stillwaters Retreat: You can go very high, higher than anything else other than the mountains on the horizon. Great unbroken views of snow and pines all around.

Seaveil Spire: You can build ridiculously high. I was able to climb up to (and walk on) the tower tops and edges, and once I got to the top of the very tallest tower in the center, I was able to keep right on climbing for another good while. Certainly you're the highest thing around, but the fog shrouding the distance becomes too thick for perfect views too high, but just stay a little lower and you'll still have nice views of the sea and some rocky towers.

Tel Galen: You never realise quite how absurdly tall that tower is until you build stairs up it. You can stand atop it, the height limit is just a little above you at that point. The views are great, though like Seaveil Spire it's a bit shrouded by fog due to the sheer distance you're seeing from at that height. If it's not obvious, you're definitely the tallest thing around.

Linchal Grand Monor: For such a low-height estate, I did not expect the astonishingly high limit of 12 staircases and change. Good views of nearby surroundings, though fog shrouds things starting at a middle distance. Definitely higher than anything else around though.

Coldharbour Surreal Estate. The view is 100% terrible. Nothing but fog. But it gets a place on this list for the sheer insanity of its height limit. 27 staircases. Definitely the highest thing around, and of course it's a blank slate house, letting you build whatever you like.

Second best tier.

Shalidor's Shrouded Realm: The very pointed tip of the tallest tower top. That, plus a staircase and change or so, and you'll hit the height limit. Taller than anything else save some high-floating rocks in the distance. Good views insofar as there is a view (most of it is purple mist, but it's quite pretty), and it's "low" enough you can still see the estate below you without too much trouble. I'm also partial to this house's vibe.

Ossa Accentium: The tower that you can take a door up to? The edges of the roof have tall spiked tips. From the height of the tips of those spikes, you can get up about another staircase of height. It's a good height, with good Oblivion views, but Fargrave has some taller buildings behind you, including a nearby tower almost right behind your tower that's taller. Mildly annoying, especially since you can't build over to it horizontally.

Pantherfang Chapel: You stand on the rooftops and build about a staircase or so higher than the top of the chapel (the tallest building). Pretty good views all around, though there are three mountains on one side that you're not higher than, but they're in the distance.

Moon-Sugar Meadow: Extraordinarily high, 15 staircases and change. Another "blank slate" house, but with much better views than Coldharbour, albeit it's of Elsweyr's rocky desert rather than anything lush. Not quite the tallest thing around: you're on par with most of the mountains in the middle distance, and still somewhat lower than the peaks of another.

Amaya Lake Lodge: You can go a good chunk of height over the rooftop. Good views of Morrowind, and you're the tallest thing around other than some barely visible distance mountains (like, you know, the huge volcano at the middle of Vvardenfell).

Doomchar Plateau: Measuring the height with staircases now, it "only" comes to about 6 staircases. It's pretty high, and unimpeded views, so long as you like lava. As a blank slate house, you're taller than everything except distance mountains and a couple of towers on the horizon.

Everything else.

Varlaisvea: You hit the height ceiling before you quite height the tips of the peak and trees on the back side of the property, but you're still higher than some of the peaks and trees. And of course, good view of the beach, but you already had that from the default terrace.

Tower of Unutterable Truths: You can build a fair distance outward from the balcony. You can't build quite as high as the towertop itself, but it's a still a respectable height, considering the tower itself is already quite high. Some fog shrouding, but there are some distant Apocrypha views on the horizon.

Thieves Oasis: You can't get anywhere near the height of the surrounding cliffs.

Sweetwater Cascades: You can get up to about the rooftop height of the tower, though still much lower than the distant aqueducts. You can build a fair distance outward, but nowhere near those same aqueducts. And you can't build low enough to access the platforms down the cliffs without hitting the automatic-death plane.

Lucky Cat Landing: It's got a good view already, and you can get up to about the height of the rooftop, but not quite. Also still lower than the Senchal city towers behind, though not hugely so. You can build a fair distance outward from the balcony too.

Lakemire Xanmeer: You can build to about the height of the tallest tree's tiptop, which somewhat higher than the xanmeer's tiptop. The view is mostly trees within the property or right around it.

Kushalit Sanctuary: You can build pretty high, taller than some of the surrounding cliffs, on par with some of the other cliffs, and lower than still others. It's a great view if you like mountains and lava - fitting for an evil overlord lair.

Jode's Embrace: I only tested the moon section. You can build reasonably high, but nowhere near the height of the surrounding peaks and towers. You can build outward a fair distance, at max you'll be approximately over the center point of the giant gloing orb below. Can't build far down from the terrace without hitting another auto-death plane.

Hunter's Glade: You can build reasonably high, but nowhere near as high as the few surrounding peaks, and the views are shrouded in mist and nothing worth speaking of.

Hall of the Lunar Champion: Moongrave Fane: I mentioned the other parts of the Hall above, but on PTS I was able to check this part out too. You can't build outward at all; even when you go above the terrace fence, there's an invisible wall aligned with it. You can't build terribly high either, certainly not as high as the surrounding pillars and stuff.

Hakkvild's High Hall: You can get slightly higher than the tallest (dragon sculpture) tips of the roof, though not as tall as the surrounding mountains. The view is decent when not fog-shrouded.

Gladesong Arboretum: Can't go particularly high here, lower than even some of the trees, and the view there isn't great because the trees are in the way. These are the static trees, the ones you can't pick up. You can build outwards a short-to-fair distance, and there's a good view of the land below there.

Elinhir Private Arena: You can go a fair chunk higher than the tops of the building, but not the height of the surrounding peaks. Decent view, but mostly rocks and stuff.

Shadow Queen's Labyrinth: You can go shockingly high, higher than anything else except the surrounding mountains, but there is absolutely no view to speak of, it's all shrouded in purple fog.

Princely Dawnlight Palace: You can build up to about the height of the tallest dome's tip, which is still lower than the buildings behind it in Abah's Landing that aren't part of the estate itself. There are pretty good views in the other direction though, and you can build on top of the various roofs and towers of the buildings in the estate itself.

Pariah's Pinnacle: While you can get up pretty high, and a fair distance outward too, you can't get anywhere near the height of the peak. Views are shrouded in fog past the middle distance of the horizon, but there's the majestic peak visible behind you, smaller peaks below, and the trees, crags, and snow below as well.

Potentate's Retreat: You can get quite high, though not as much as the mountains around you. Great visibility as far as the view, but most of it is rocks and mountains, though the beach and sea is nice.

Grand Topal Hideaway: You can go 18 staircases up from the tallest platform, which is a surprising percentage of the volcanol's height, maybe 80 to 90% of its height? And of course a great view of the beach and ocean.

I checked out several of the houses that were released en masse when player housing was first implemented, and they all had very low height limits.

Hope this helps anyone who might be searching for a list like this in the future.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Coldharbour Surrealestate, I built a 20 story tower with 1 room per level, for each of my 20 toons. The invisible "ceiling" is just below the roof of the 20th floor. You can jump off the top floor and it takes about 5-6 seconds to hit the ground.