The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Game Breaking Negate Bug

ForumSavant
ForumSavant
✭✭✭
I understand there are a few bugs with the current patch, but the Negate bug ruins PvP entirely for anyone who encounters it. Currently, if you get negated, and the caster of the negate dies while you are inside of their negate, you will remain negated until you have died. This is very easy to replicate. I did some more digging to try and help find possible fixes for the bug. There was a small details in the latest patch notes that said, "fixed an issue where some player sourced effects that visually disappeared could remain activate after their caster died." Negate is not listed but I believe this change is what caused it. Negate will be removed upon caster death, but the effect will stay.

If you step in a negate and walk out of it before killing the caster, it will function normally.
If you kill the caster while inside the negate, you will be negated permanently.
Being negated again, while under the effect of the "perma negate" will not change the effect, you will still be negated.
Dying fixes the problem.

I am not currently aware of whether or not this is this case with other AOE abilities that are removed upon death.
Edited by ForumSavant on November 2, 2023 1:08AM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I think this had been a thing for a while. Because I've had this happen few times before this patch. Surprised this didn't get a fix.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
    Options
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, I think this had been a thing for a while. Because I've had this happen few times before this patch. Surprised this didn't get a fix.

No it's new to this patch for sure.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin can we get an update on whether or not you guys are aware of this?
    Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is brand new to this patch. I PvP on a regular basis, multiple times per week for hours at a time. And this is the first time I've seen this particular bug. (There are other pre-existing bugs which have similar effects, which have been around forever... but they are way less frequent.)

This new bug is frequent.

I won't say that my testing is full, but I can tell you that at least the morph of negate called Supression Field has become "sticky" and persists even when you leave the Negate. And it remains until you crash, log off/back on, enter a delve, or leave the instance somehow. Once you are affected by this debuff, you can no longer cast any mag based skills, nor ultimates, nor synergies.

This bug is game breaking, for sure. Cyrodiil was practically dead the past two nights, and I believe that's related to this bug directly.

p.s. one person reported saying that they notice this happens when the person who cast the negate dies while the negate is still up. But my experience suggests that this bug can happen even if the person does not die.
    Options
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    I did enough testing, if it happens when the person casting negate DOES NOT DIE, it's very infrequent. I have not had this happen in my testing at all. If the person casting negate does die though, it can be replicated 100% of the time without fail. Cyrodiil zone chat is pretty well aware of the issue, I'm surprised this isn't getting more traction.
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for the info on this, everyone. Just confirming we've seen the reports and are working on getting this fixed.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info on this, everyone. Just confirming we've seen the reports and are working on getting this fixed.

Thanks for the update, if there's anything we an do to help understand and find a fix for the issue let me know.
    Options
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, so this explains why I couldn't cast any spells in Zerodil suddenly the other day.

NPCs frequently cast negate, has anyone seen whether this bug also happens when those courtyard NPCs cast it and are then killed?

I got it inside an enemy keep on the porch.

I had to log out to fix it, reloadui did not work.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Tribune
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Tribune
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
    Options
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, it really ain't. There were abusers of this in the past. I don't really see them in Cyro anymore though. Anyways, they'd drop a perma Negate before bomb. You can survive the bomb but you are left with dysfunctional skill bar until you re-instance or die. Can't remember if the sorc had to die or not though back then. Never really looked. Because I don't exploit, no interest in it and I wanted to survive that bomb dump.

What is new is Cyro guard Negate doing this upon their death. And the fact that this came to surface on the forum post.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on November 3, 2023 6:21AM
    Options
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cyrodiil community adapts quickly - the 19k health sorcs dropping negates on ball groups were out in force today. :D
    Options
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, it really ain't. There were abusers of this in the past. I don't really see them in Cyro anymore though. Anyways, they'd drop a perma Negate before bomb. You can survive the bomb but you are left with dysfunctional skill bar until you re-instance or die. Can't remember if the sorc had to die or not though back then. Never really looked. Because I don't exploit, no interest in it and I wanted to survive that bomb dump.

What is new is Cyro guard Negate doing this upon their death. And the fact that this came to surface on the forum post.

You are just wrong, this is brand new and it's rampant in cyro and is a huge issue.
    Options
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After one person told me about this, I switched out negate on my sorc to my lightning storm with my staff ....and yes, it does exist ..... hoping it gets fixed soon.

At this point, I would consider it an exploit if it is still being used .....

Auldwulfe
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The cyrodiil community adapts quickly - the 19k health sorcs dropping negates on ball groups were out in force today. :D

Also naked, I presume?

Got hit by this bug several times over the early part of the week, to the point that one of my guilds canceled raids until it's fixed.

@mielyn still with LOM? Always enjoy our battles, if so good to see y'all are still at it.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    While I do appreciate a response from the devs... I have to say I'm pretty unimpressed with how long it seems to usually take to fix bugs that only seem to affect PvP. This bug literally has entire guilds refusing to play right now. Cyrodiil is a *** show with 19k health sorcs spamming negates to get this bug to happen. I myself have been paying for this game for years now, and just decided to cancel my sub. No, I'm not saying I'm quitting. But I'm hoping to at least send a small message to express my displeasure. They did a hot fix today to fix some other PvE related bugs, and this Negate bug still exists.

I understand if the bug is small and only impacts gameplay to a slight degree. But this is truly game breaking, just as the title of this thread suggests. You CANNOT participate in PvP with this bug going around. At least not in Cyrodiil.

I would like to see much faster response time from ZOS on issues that are sweeping like this. 24 to 48 hours maximum, once the first report comes in, should be it. For such a huge game that costs a lot of money, and which many millions of people have dedicated countless hours of their life to.

Anyway. I don't really want to argue over this. I just want my voice to be heard that the support speed is below what I consider an acceptable level.
    Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    @Kartalin yep, still with LOM. Just saw your message there. What guild you with?

Options
  • smee_z
    smee_z
    ✭✭✭
    If you step in a negate and walk out of it before killing the caster, it will function normally.
    If you kill the caster while inside the negate, you will be negated permanently.

Dear ZOS,

Simple fix.
    Make negate as it was intended just like how it works when an NPC casts it,
    player skills whether mag-based nor stam-based disabled while inside the negate.
    PC NA

Games are meant to be played.

Back in Auriel's Bow 1.0, I have thought that the best way to handicap a faction with the HUGE pop advantage is to temporarily disable their grouping functionality and their ability to fight in 3rd person point of view! Let's see if these do not even up the odds.
    Options
  • StihlReign
    StihlReign
    ✭✭✭✭

Do we have an ETA?

This is not good. The game feels... broken, not bugged - broken.
    "O divine art of subtlety and secrecy!

Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy’s fate in our hands.” – Ch. VI, v. 8-9. — Master Sun Tzu

"You haven't beaten me you've sacrificed sure footing for a killing stroke." — Ra's al Ghul

He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious — Master Sun Tzu

LoS
    Options
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mielyn wrote: »
    @Kartalin yep, still with LOM. Just saw your message there. What guild you with?

Lemon party, Tertiary meat, and Meanest girls. MG is still ascending so you guys probably didn't take much notice of that group as you fought us lol ;)
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
    Options
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭

You are just wrong, this is brand new and it's rampant in cyro and is a huge issue.

[snip]

Are you just not playing the game or something? If you aren't aware of what's going on I don't know why you would comment on it. You said "I don't really see them in Cyro anymore though" This is a bug that is repeatable 100% of the time and is being spammed in cyrodiil, but tell us more about how it isn't happening when there was a dev response and multiple comments about it.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 7, 2023 5:40PM
    Options
  • KKolly
    KKolly
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

The effect of he bug itself (not being able to do magicka based actions) is not new, yes, but it has never manifested this way before. You absolutely could not suicide negate the way you can now, that is simply false. That is a result of a new exploit.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on November 7, 2023 5:41PM
    PC/NA

PvP Enthusiast

Wolves Evermore Raid Lead
    DESTRO Officer
    Imperfect Cleavage Officer
    Army of the Covenant Ex-Officer

DC Faction RPer, All Elves must Die.
    Options
  • mielyn
    mielyn
    ✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    mielyn wrote: »

Lemon party, Tertiary meat, and Meanest girls. MG is still ascending so you guys probably didn't take much notice of that group as you fought us lol ;)

Oh yeah, sweet. You guys are fun to GvG. You play well.
    Options
  • Rlacoste
    Rlacoste
    ✭✭✭
    shame to the players who knowingly abuse exploits like this. ESO PVP community is full of toxic players abusing exploits
    Options
  • Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They've been out in force all week, and all weekend.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Please advise if this is formally considered an exploit (against terms and code), and if so we would love to know if there will be any action taken against the people doing this on purpose. At present word in most of the discords are "ZOS don't care, nothing will happen, just go and Eff others over while you can and laugh as they suffer or get mad".

I logged in to play in PvP today, had it happen to me three times in 10 minutes going to the bridge, swore a bit and logged off. I'm going to play Bladur's Gate this evening, where if I get frustrated it's my own fault..
    Edited by Crown on November 5, 2023 9:33PM
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
    Options
  • KKolly
    KKolly
    ✭✭✭
    Any update on this?
    PC/NA

PvP Enthusiast

Wolves Evermore Raid Lead
    DESTRO Officer
    Imperfect Cleavage Officer
    Army of the Covenant Ex-Officer

DC Faction RPer, All Elves must Die.
    Options
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can a brotha get a GD update?
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Any ETA? Seems to happen regularly.

EDIT: I did not feel like this was anyone trying to exploit it. Seemed to happen just in fights where negate is pretty common. Could have even been guards in a couple spots
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on November 7, 2023 3:57AM
    Options
  • ForumSavant
    ForumSavant
    ✭✭✭
    Probably won't get an update until they find a solution because a, "hey we're still working on it" won't really appease anyone. Though it would be nice to know they aren't just ignoring it, I doubt they can ignore something this game breaking.
    Options
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT: I did not feel like this was anyone trying to exploit it. Seemed to happen just in fights where negate is pretty common. Could have even been guards in a couple spots

There are always bad actors. I've encountered them. With this iteration, it is as easy as running into the group and drop negate before dying. Some in PCNA have done about 3 perma negates simultaneously before their group's bombs or group oil dump after Negate + Dark Convergence where the caster of Negate jumps off as it goes off to kill their own char to proc this glitch to guarantee no one survives.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on November 7, 2023 6:34AM
    Options
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rlacoste wrote: »
    shame to the players who knowingly abuse exploits like this. ESO PVP community is full of toxic players abusing exploits

It should be very easy to see which players intentionally and enthusiastically exploit this bug, not the least through the consumption of i.e. pots paired with unsustainable low health while using negate, and appropriate actions taken in accordance to ToS.
    pej9btrzelju.gif
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There are always bad actors. I've encountered them. With this iteration, it is as easy as running into the group and drop negate before dying. Some in PCNA have done about 3 perma negates simultaneously before their group's bombs or group oil dump after Negate + Dark Convergence where the caster of Negate jumps off as it goes off to kill their own char to proc this glitch to guarantee no one survives.

Oh! That makes sense. We had some group run into us and turn and run back away and a second later, we notice one of them rez in place like you would from fall damage and run after their friends as a blue glowy. Several of us then had the bug.

I have video of this as I hit the save right after trying to figure out what just happened. Maybe I should send it to @ZOS_GinaBruno or others to report as an exploit?
    Options
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh! That makes sense. We had some group run into us and turn and run back away and a second later, we notice one of them rez in place like you would from fall damage and run after their friends as a blue glowy. Several of us then had the bug.

I have video of this as I hit the save right after trying to figure out what just happened. Maybe I should send it to @ZOS_GinaBruno or others to report as an exploit?

It is always best to send it directly to ZOS and explain what is going on afaik.
    Options