The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Disgusting PvP Meta

Overamera
Overamera
✭✭✭✭
Please zos when are you gonna do something about this disgusting meta. Masters Dual Wield, Vate, Dragons appetite, Relequen etc. None of my friends and lots of players have stopped playing because of this boring, disgusting, cheesy and no skill meta. Literally no skill involved just dot someone up and let them eat them.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 29, 2023 3:20AM
  • Overamera
    Overamera
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lets not forget about maarselok aswell
  • Alharion
    Alharion
    ✭✭✭
    The worst in meta-indigestible is in battleground with the meta of the killer ray of the templier and the arcanist where this class will clearly ruin the battleground...

It's a real shame that the devs don't play a little bit against the player to see how they created an increasingly incoherent and confusing pvp...
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overamera wrote: »
    Please zos when are you gonna do something about this disgusting meta. Masters Dual Wield, Vate, Dragons appetite, Relequen etc. None of my friends and lots of players have stopped playing because of this boring, disgusting, cheesy and no skill meta. Literally no skill involved just dot someone up and let them eat them.

After experiencing the pre-nerfed oblivion torug's pact on weapon dots, and both the Scalebreaker and Malacath DoT metas, I really find these complaints about these sets doing "too much afk pressure" to be a joke in comparison. It makes me think that the people constantly complaining have no idea or don't remember how oppressive a real Dot meta can be.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic, as it's about PvP.

Thank you for your understanding
    Staff Post
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DoTs are one of the last remaining ways to do any meaningful damage through block. 80%+ block mitigation is too easy to obtain. 20k dps from Onslaught Acuity gets reduced to 2-3k dps just by holding down block. Also, if you think these DoTs are strong then you obviously didn't play 2-3 years ago because players would absolutely melt from DoT damage back then.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on October 29, 2023 5:37AM
    PC NA
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanasx wrote: »

After experiencing the pre-nerfed oblivion torug's pact on weapon dots, and both the Scalebreaker and Malacath DoT metas, I really find these complaints about these sets doing "too much afk pressure" to be a joke in comparison. It makes me think that the people constantly complaining have no idea or don't remember how oppressive a real Dot meta can be.

Mmm yeah good ole classics right there. How about Shieldbreaker set? There was a time where you couldn't PvP without seeing that in the recap. Good ole Viper was also very strong.
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I resubbed for 30 days and commit to farming vate destro. History proves that as soon as I’m done farming a meta build it will be nerfed. You’re welcome.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really does feel like you're punished if you try to run a build that isn't the current meta these days. Trying to solo play last night and every death recap I had was either Maarselok/Rending Slashes/Vateshran Ice staff or Knight Slayer/Heavy attack Sorc's or my favorite, the Arcanists that have 0 damage but are unkillable tanks, lol. It's just so laughable these days to try a build that isn't something everyone else is running and still get steamrolled for it because you're not running the meta, but hey, at least they nerfed Necros into the ground right? Lol
  • Galeriano
    Galeriano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is funny is that mara's balm which was also complained about was a thing keeping that new meta from rising in power.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Galeriano wrote: »
    What is funny is that mara's balm which was also complained about was a thing keeping that new meta from rising in power.

Exactly. You nerf current meta, and the next will soon be found and everyone will run that as well… Game relies too heavily on sets. Kind of a consequence of an old game continuing to put out new content every quarter 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So lemme get this straight.. nb is op, dk is op, warden is op, templar is op, and arc is op... all at the same time? So bring sorc and necro up to par? Instead of calling dor a nerf hammer on every class? The one i see as problematic is nb stealth to guarantee crit with little cost and no cool down and concealed should not buff out of stealth but we are literally to the point that when you look at the forums everyone is basically complaining about every class except those 2 being op...
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mmm yeah good ole classics right there. How about Shieldbreaker set? There was a time where you couldn't PvP without seeing that in the recap. Good ole Viper was also very strong.

I remember that set (and sloads...), that set seemed like a deliberate targeted [snip] against sorcerers (shield stacking was an issue back then though).
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    So lemme get this straight.. nb is op, dk is op, warden is op, templar is op, and arc is op... all at the same time? So bring sorc and necro up to par? Instead of calling dor a nerf hammer on every class? The one i see as problematic is nb stealth to guarantee crit with little cost and no cool down and concealed should not buff out of stealth but we are literally to the point that when you look at the forums everyone is basically complaining about every class except those 2 being op...

With the current meta of Maarselok/Vateshran/Masters DW and Dragons appetite....yeah pretty much any class can be OP. Throw that build on any class and it'll slap
  • huskandhunger
    huskandhunger
    ✭✭✭
    the vateshran animation beam feels annoying 🤢 when it's tethered I wish it was more a subdued visual like malubeth
  • Zabulus
    Zabulus
    ✭✭✭
    Maarselok/Vate/Master & Rele OR Dragon appetite , but you can't wear both sets hopefully. It's already disgusting enough.
  • loosej
    loosej
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually quite happy this became the new meta. I agree it's gotten a bit predictable, and predictable can get boring after some time. But at least it seems to have reduced the amount of unkillable tanks in Cyro. Everyone hitting with a wet noodle and nobody dying was the real "disgusting" no-skill meta. Despite what a lot of people think, running Maarselok/Vateshran/Masters successfully requires at least a bit of skill. If you put a newbie with that combo against an experienced player in no-proc sets, the beams alone won't be enough for the first player to get the upper hand.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This will never end. I don't see a solution. Even in this thread, someone is glad of this meta because supposed tank meta. Then there are people on the contrary. Guess what brings tank meta? High damage. Guess what brings high damage meta? Tank. Never ends.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amerises wrote: »
    Galeriano wrote: »

Exactly. You nerf current meta, and the next will soon be found and everyone will run that as well… Game relies too heavily on sets. Kind of a consequence of an old game continuing to put out new content every quarter 🤷🏻‍♂️

The game is built ENTIRELY around sets. Always has been. Take sets out of the equation and no game.

Oddly, playing ranged builds openworld, I don't even notice the current MastersDW meta.

• Vaqual
    Vaqual
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will never end. I don't see a solution. Even in this thread, someone is glad of this meta because supposed tank meta. Then there are people on the contrary. Guess what brings tank meta? High damage. Guess what brings high damage meta? Tank. Never ends.

When the messiah will come he will be squishy and his damage will be miserable and he will cleanse the players from taint of the meta. - Zoseus, 2:6

Edited by Vaqual on October 30, 2023 2:15PM
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    loosej wrote: »
    I'm actually quite happy this became the new meta. I agree it's gotten a bit predictable, and predictable can get boring after some time. But at least it seems to have reduced the amount of unkillable tanks in Cyro. Everyone hitting with a wet noodle and nobody dying was the real "disgusting" no-skill meta. Despite what a lot of people think, running Maarselok/Vateshran/Masters successfully requires at least a bit of skill. If you put a newbie with that combo against an experienced player in no-proc sets, the beams alone won't be enough for the first player to get the upper hand.

Playing the game at all requires some skill. Knowing the sets are OP to use them is a knowledge skill. Pushing buttons is a skill. I don't think anything about these sets adds to the skill required though... In fact it may detract. That's what people are getting at.

I don't know about absolute noobs or how they would happen upon this set combination... But sure, absolute noobs can still be killed easily. I'm not sure how many absolute noobs there are.

The Deathmatch weekend got me into playing my DK again lately. Needed something a little stronger to have fun. Wearing Rallying Cry BB, Shalks FB, Markyn and bloodspawn with 1 trainee. Not meta, since there's only one meta, but a pretty good all-around set-up everyone can agree.

I've had numerous opportunities to "duel" players in various combinations of this one-build-to-rule-them-all, in BGs Cyrodiil and Grahtwood. Sure, no surprise, my DK can kill some of them. But it's frantic. The amount of healing I have to do is absurd. Thank goodness DK is OP. My other toons fall flat.

The only toons that can be successful in this meta are people doing it and tanky people with absurd self healing. It's not good when one layer of bullcrap is the reason why other bullcrap is needed. At this point the meta is just feeding off of itself, and it becomes very cyclical and someone else noted. It isn't good.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaqual wrote: »

When the messiah will come he will be squishy and his damage will be miserable and he will cleanse the players from taint of the meta. - Zoseus, 2:6

Believe me, someone will find that squishy tanky too because miserable damage :D
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How about the original Sloads? Or original Elf Bane + original Zaans?

Can't make people happy all the time. :)
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »

With the current meta of Maarselok/Vateshran/Masters DW and Dragons appetite....yeah pretty much any class can be OP. Throw that build on any class and it'll slap

I dont use cheese builds soo... i just would rather be good in my own right then crutch on this garbage
  • Brakkish
    Brakkish
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    DoTs are one of the last remaining ways to do any meaningful damage through block. 80%+ block mitigation is too easy to obtain. 20k dps from Onslaught Acuity gets reduced to 2-3k dps just by holding down block. Also, if you think these DoTs are strong then you obviously didn't play 2-3 years ago because players would absolutely melt from DoT damage back then.

Confirmed.

Before Mara's (dot cleansing set for those not in the loop) nerf I could barely hold L2 (PS) from the belly laughs as I trolled teams of BG players in 1 vs 8's, slow walking them like something out of an action hero movie, as they flailed to no avail.

Since Mara's nerf I actually have to hit a heal or two once in awhile if the situation is just right.

Still /pocorn worthy moments though.

And for those who can't help but ask: "What's the point of playing a tank"
    My answer will remain: It takes zero dps to stand on a flag, hold a ball, or cap a relic. Until that changes, there's no need for anything different.

Edited by Brakkish on October 31, 2023 7:26PM
    CP2332 +3100 hrs spent in BGs. US PS5 - Nine PVP Tanks - toons named variations of "Combat Medic" I like long walks on the beach. What's PVE? https://www.youtube.com/brakkish
  • igormaxbr03
    igormaxbr03
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the pvp is on very boring meta ,must my friend left the game ,i dont play anymore 5-7 days i week sometimes only 3 days in pvp but depends so much ,havent played friday saturday night in while 40 days ,the game is very laggy high ping and sometimes low fps on Xbox series s felt like 10 fps in big fights dint happen before update 39 ,Eso is good game but is geting out hand ,specialy now 70% of people is dk or arcanist them we have NB and thats it all proc arenas set ,ball group is bad for the game but ,what ever negative feedback or tell you experience of the game your post may get in comunity guideline Bashing and Slanderous Comments and closed because of that
  • Iriidius
    Iriidius
    ✭✭✭
    On PC EU it is definitely not 70% dks and arcanists, on Grey Host DK is 5th and arcanist is 6th most used class and after Ulti gen in Corrosive is disabled Dks wont get more popular.
    To get in Top 100 of each class you need
    1. 1.8m ap on NB
    2. 1.4m ap on Sorc
    3. 1.08m ap on templar
    4. 1m on warden
    5. 980k on dk
    6. less than that on arcanist
    7. much less on necro

None of the disgusting OP proc sets Master dw, Vateshran frost, Maarselok and Way of fire/Dragons Appetite/ Relequen got buffed but few people used them before u35, seems like Players use them now because since u35 dmg nerfs they cant kill with their skills anymore. Even on DK it got much more difficult to get kills after u35 and I stalemate many players I could kill in u34 even when we both were squishier sets. U35 dmg nerfs must be revertet to make players able to kill with their skills again, so they dont need Proc Sets anymore.
    Edited by Iriidius on November 1, 2023 4:15PM
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iriidius wrote: »
    On PC EU it is definitely not 70% dks and arcanists, on Grey Host DK is 5th and arcanist is 6th most used class and after Ulti gen in Corrosive is disabled Dks wont get more popular.
    To get in Top 100 of each class you need
    1. 1.8m ap on NB
    2. 1.4m ap on Sorc
    3. 1.08m ap on templar
    4. 1m on warden
    5. 980k on dk
    6. less than that on arcanist
    7. much less on necro

None of the disgusting OP proc sets Master dw, Vateshran frost, Maarselok and Way of fire/Dragons Appetite/ Relequen got buffed but few people used them before u35, seems like Players use them now because since u35 dmg nerfs they cant kill with their skills anymore. Even on DK it got much more difficult to get kills after u35 and I stalemate many players I could kill in u34 even when we both were squishier sets. U35 dmg nerfs must be revertet to make players able to kill with their skills again, so they dont need Proc Sets anymore.

It is rather hilarious that this is the case. I don't run procs and it is definitely harder to get people without procs.
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iriidius wrote: »

U35 dmg nerfs must be revertet to make players able to kill with their skills again, so they dont need Proc Sets anymore.

It's true, a full heavy attack used to do spammable level damage. Ult level damage on an off balance target. That kind of burst is what made kills happen.

Now a full heavy does about as much damage as an old light attack. That's a 25% drop in damage that can be crammed into the average gcd. The only way to make it up is with procs.
  • RoxyPhoenix
    RoxyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭
    proc set should never outnumber skills in their respective category. I miss the days when proc sets were just a simple addition, a cherry on top of a good around set. You had to build around your strengths and weaknesses and the proc set was adding that little extra dmg or healing u just happened to need. Now, there are proc sets that can kill an entire group in one hit, some can make you literally immortal and some heal you better than any dedicated healer can. No one suffers from recovery issues, we can all be tanky self-healing immortal gods who use their character skills just to fire up our procs to kill stuff.
  • Ahk1lleez
    Ahk1lleez
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I'm inclined to agree that the "meta" needs to change....I think we have a much different idea of what META looks like. Single target DOT pressure in open world Cyrodiil means next to nothing when you're playing outnumbered. They're gonna get outside heals and you won't bring anyone down. The pvp this game was built around relies heavily on burst damage. DOT's are more of a liability than anything.

Complaining about DOT's means you're either playing BG's, dueling, or trying to play Cyrodiil in a manner that it was not meant to be played (1vX). I can tell you that the vast majority of 1vXers are NOT running single target DOT builds. Dying to them means you have to build better or get better in the skill department.