The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Witches Festival - no extra XP after calling out or drinking from the cauldron

Ragnork
Ragnork
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi - I have tried now on two characters - used the whistle from previous years and called out the cauldron. No XP boon. Drank from cauldron - transformed as expected - still no xp boon.
First character was kicked on the way to the witches den, guessing too many people in the area.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on October 27, 2023 3:28AM
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ragnork wrote: »
    Hi - I have tried now on two characters - used the whistle from previous years and called out the cauldron. No XP boon. Drank from cauldron - transformed as expected - still no xp boon.
    First character was kicked on the way to the witches den, guessing too many people in the area.

I think they changed it to being a passive exp boon. But I don't know if that means it will show up on the character effects at all or not.

Options
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    Same here. Tried on different characters, in different zones. No XP buff, whether or not I drink from the cauldron (I tried both ways).

PS/NA
    Options
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    crash on xbox NA twice trying to reach Matthisen Wayshrine in Auridon, character is stuck in the crash, so must use alts now. EU worked. And no XP boost, even after transforming to skeletton drinking from cauldron.

Update: even 7 minutes later, third crash. Hope that character is not lost forever.

Update 2: now it no longer crashes, half an hour or so later.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on October 26, 2023 3:37PM
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're transitioning all exp buffs from consuming objects to just being passively active during the event. My guess it reduces server load and stops players from extending the Exp Buffs long after the event is over.
    Options
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're transitioning all exp buffs from consuming objects to just being passively active during the event. My guess it reduces server load and stops players from extending the Exp Buffs long after the event is over.

Thank you - that would explain it :) Do you know if there is a visual indicator that the buff is active?
    Options
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    the active effects list on my character tab does not show an xp buff
    Options
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    Thank you for the explanation, I kept blowing the whistle, even drinking the cauldron still no indication of a boost in the "Character" section where these boosts are supposed to be listed.
    Options
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why oh why can't they show double xp active indicator like every game I have ever played does.
    Would have cut down on all the posts and questions in zone chat.
    Options
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without an indicator how do we know when to refresh the buff?
    Options
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

there is no refresh. its just there until the event ends
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't - it's always active until the end of the event.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You should not need to refresh. It should work like double drops or double harvest nodes in other events - on for duration of event without need to take any special steps. Assuming it is working...
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do kind of wish (and hope) that if the skelly potion will no longer give an exp buff, then can we permanently have the ability to turn into a Halloween skeleton as a memento whenever we want even after the event is over.

Turn the cauldron memento into a real memento since it's primary purpose of giving exp is no longer applicable.
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You cant see on the character sheet, but you can see the effect by looking at the screen where you queue for a random normal, 200k xp instead of 100k
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    Just an update from my last post, yes, I can confirm I am getting double XP right now. It just doesn't show up under "active effects".

So, yeah, it's working like it's supposed to, but you don't get any "hard" confirmation like festivals past.

PS/NA

Edit - Added platform and server
    Edited by Auberon1983 on October 26, 2023 3:24PM
    Options
  • FaerieDragon
    FaerieDragon
    Soul Shriven
    I have done writs on a few characters and the amount of xp I get after using the whistle has not changed from the normal amount I usually get
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Just to confirm, the XP bonus is now passive, so you do not have to do anything in order to get the additional XP.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »

I do kind of wish (and hope) that if the skelly potion will no longer give an exp buff, then can we permanently have the ability to turn into a Halloween skeleton as a memento whenever we want even after the event is over.

Turn the cauldron memento into a real memento since it's primary purpose of giving exp is no longer applicable.

There is a polymorph that will make you a skeleton.... The Skeleton polymorph is received as a reward for completing The Bargain's End quest in Shadowfen.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »

There is a polymorph that will make you a skeleton.... The Skeleton polymorph is received as a reward for completing The Bargain's End quest in Shadowfen.

Yes, but it doesn't come with the cool robe. And you always have a human skeleton, regardless of whether you are human or not.

With the Witch's Cauldron memento, you have the equivalent Khajiit or Argonian skeleton (when applicable).
    Options
  • ob1ken0bi
    ob1ken0bi
    ✭✭✭
    I used a 50% scroll and was getting roughly 60k per dolmen for about 1 hour, then started to get 15k per dolmen. Scroll is still active.
    On a normal basis without event and no scroll was getting about 20k

What caused it to to go from 60k to 15k??
    Options
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your enlightenment ran out?
    Options
  • ob1ken0bi
    ob1ken0bi
    ✭✭✭
    Your enlightenment ran out?
    I would say that if the amount wasn’t so drastic but I don’t think enlightenment last 1 hour. Most cases I see it last maybe 10-15 min max.
    Plus, I was getting about 20k before the event on a regular basis. I am getting less when I should be getting 100% from event and 50% from scroll.

How much should you get (base value without any boosts) for killing dolmen boss when you close the 5th anchor pinion?
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Just to confirm, the XP bonus is now passive, so you do not have to do anything in order to get the additional XP.

Thank you for confirming!

Can we please get an indicator that event effects are active under active effects? We can confirm it's working through testing, but showing an active effect in the place where all (well, most) other active effects are shown would make it much clearer. Since the xp buff system is also not clearly explained anywhere in terms of which buffs are additive vs. multiplicative, testing results aren't always clear to those trying to find out for themselves whether the bonus is working as intended. Everything is additive except enlightenment, meaning that ESO+ members and those using XP pots/scrolls, Rings of Mara, or training gear will find that a "double" xp buff doesn't actually double their xp gains.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Lol I have a character that still has the Pelinal's buff active for like an hour and a half. I wonder if that can stack with this current buff in Cyrodiil.
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Lol I have a character that still has the Pelinal's buff active for like an hour and a half. I wonder if that can stack with this current buff in Cyrodiil.

It used to be the case that when you had Pelinal's still active into a double XP event like Witches, using the Witches buff actually prolonged the Pelinal's buff and did not overwrite the double AP with the proper double XP bonus.

It should stack, though. The XP buff from Explorer's was stacking with the XP buffs from other events back when mementos/tools had to be used. It's probably one of the reasons they changed this all to be passive, since one could stack up to 370% xp or thereabouts (before training).
    Options
  • Sturmfaenger
    Sturmfaenger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had no problem using the whistle for the XP buff.
    I have no problem with it being passive now.

What I would have liked though is some indicator in the game that such a buff is active.
    Like when you press "C" you could see an Icon for the buff with a timer.
    That nothing is there confuses me a bit.
    PC/EU
    Options
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like having to work harder to try to verify that a boost is actually working the way it's supposed to.
    Especially when the game has a proven record of percentages and boosts either not giving full measure as claimed, or even not working at all.

Getting a retroactive 'It has come to our attention that XXX isn't working as intended, a fix is being worked on, and we hope to have it in place during the same event next year..." a few days into an event just doesn't give the satisfaction the game hierarchy would like us to settle for.

If we're getting a boost, actively show us we're getting a boost.
    I'd like to see evidence that the boost is working without having to stop and write numbers down and having to do math while crafting master writs, or questing, and then doing it periodically to check that it might still be working later on during the event.

Sorry, but I'm running low on 'trust' anymore.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
    Options
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you even trust with icon active?Cause there has been issues with icons being active but buff/debuff not working as intended.Someone said there are addons that can show icon,but noone said which,unless they said it to make others complain.But I see the number difference,especially leveling my companion.Explorer event was same way,it was hidden in background no icons.New Life will be same way too,just have to get used to it.
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember any complaints during the Explorer's Event, which has no memento/timed buff. You just got the XP boost and everyone seemed happy. If anything, people were grateful to not have to worry about remembering to rebuff all the time. Why have people trusted all the multiple Explorer's Events over the years but no one seems to trust this event?
    Options
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    I don't remember any complaints during the Explorer's Event, which has no memento/timed buff. You just got the XP boost and everyone seemed happy. If anything, people were grateful to not have to worry about remembering to rebuff all the time. Why have people trusted all the multiple Explorer's Events over the years but no one seems to trust this event?

Some people have asked for clarification on the Explorer's Event to make sure they're getting the buff, so it's not the case that everyone has trusted it in the past.

I get the sense that more people likely trusted the Explorer's Event because that was always passive. When there is a major change to implementation, as with the Witches event, the change itself can prompt distrust and confusion, especially when it is unexpected. (Not everyone will read the news, so some will think it should still work as it always has.)
    Options