Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

No More DMs from Randos

Nebs
Nebs
✭✭✭✭
There's currently no way to shut off DMs (Whispers) from non-friends. Our Ignore list is far too small for this feature to not be available.
I know shutting off "Tell" is a thing you can do in the chat window to hide all incoming Tells/Whispers/DMs, but that isn't a suitable solution if I actually want to be able to hear from people I want to.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you write an in-game feature request?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebs wrote: »
    There's currently no way to shut off DMs (Whispers) from non-friends. Our Ignore list is far too small for this feature to not be available.
    I know shutting off "Tell" is a thing you can do in the chat window to hide all incoming Tells/Whispers/DMs, but that isn't a suitable solution if I actually want to be able to hear from people I want to.

Let me get this straight..you put people on the ignore list for sending you a whisper? What if I said that I liked your outfit or mount, or asked you for in-game advice?
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do they whisper you and why you are bothered by people whispering you?

• boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean ive gotten nasty whispers from folks, especially while tanking vet dlcs) because i left dungeons where they weren't a) capable & b) running wayy ahead of the entire group not (slow groups mind you, experienced folks going a decent clip) pulling everything and then dying to the boss immediately after they were asked nicely to please stop.
    Edited by boi_anachronism_ on October 10, 2023 2:10PM
  • Nebs
    Nebs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nebs wrote: »

Let me get this straight..you put people on the ignore list for sending you a whisper? What if I said that I liked your outfit or mount, or asked you for in-game advice?

No, I already said my ignore list is full.
  • NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man… if there was an option to only get whispers from people in your guilds or friends list, I think that would be a very popular setting. I certainly would use it, depending on my mood.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are getting messages?
    0_1f8c4e20ac4c79c82db82b8a6c969f70jpeg.jpg
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience most people who annoy you in chat don't need to be put on permanent ignore. Usually after a week or so you can unblock them and still never hear from them ever again. I think I have maybe 3 players that have been blocked for years, all of them Cyrodiil trolls that somehow have managed to not get banned.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to ZOS coding in a toggle to prevent whispers from people not on your Friends list or in a guild with you. Just add it to the massive of list of toggles already requested *cough*grimfocuspermaglow*cough*
    Edited by Marcus684 on October 10, 2023 2:28PM
  • PieMaster1
    PieMaster1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus684 wrote: »
    In my experience most people who annoy you in chat don't need to be put on permanent ignore. Usually after a week or so you can unblock them and still never hear from them ever again. I think I have maybe 3 players that have been blocked for years, all of them Cyrodiil trolls that somehow have managed to not get banned.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to ZOS coding in a toggle to prevent whispers from people not on your Friends list or in a guild with you. Just add it to the massive of list of toggles already requested *cough*grimfocuspermaglow*cough*

Yep the only people on my list are either gold spammers or Cyro exploiters/cheaters
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest way to no keep getting DMs from ppl,is not respond.You can set yourself to offline,and use something like discord for friends/guildies.They should make the Do not Disturb setting only allow friends/guildies,for people that want limited communications.You'd think someone woulda made an addon for it already.
    Edited by belial5221_ESO on October 10, 2023 2:41PM
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I might not be understanding when the issue comes up. What are your unwanted messages about, or when do they come up?
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we need more details on why you’re getting such volume of whispers from randos.
  • illusiouk
    illusiouk
    ✭✭✭
    Be Offline..."This is the way"
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there can be multiple chat tabs with different settings for each. Long ago I had the opposite problem, no IM would display on my screen and I missed lots of friends messages without knowing, but don’t think there’s a way to just cut off IMs from non-friends
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on October 10, 2023 10:30PM
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I rarely get whispers from random people.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely get whispers from random people.

The only ones I've had in all these years have been to a couple of Redguards and a couple of Bosmers. None of them "unclothed", and actually the whispers were innocuous - "Very pretty girl"..... that sort of thing. I've had lots of worse experiences in WoW years back when I played.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my whispers are to pay me a compliment or ask for help with something. I wouldn't block someone for either of those things, personally. But, I don't see any harm in a friend's only status mode, so why not?
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Most of my whispers are to pay me a compliment or ask for help with something. I wouldn't block someone for either of those things, personally. But, I don't see any harm in a friend's only status mode, so why not?

That's true. I wouldn't see the harm there either.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind getting whispers from randoms, more often than not in my experience its been good.

Lots of people asking what that style item is or being nice.

10/10 the Ignore list needs to be upped though. 100 is not enough for the many trolls out there.
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • Moothos
    Moothos
    ✭✭✭
    Why does anyone need 100 people on their ignore list? Do you encounter all 100 of these people on a regular basis? Do all 100 of these people even remember you? Do you remember why you even blocked them to begin with? If you need a note to remember why, chances are it's safe to remove them from the list. With some ignore list management, you can easily remove the people that don't need to be on there anymore and then block new people to your heart's content and you won't need to deal with those pesky whispers from strangers.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moothos wrote: »
    Why does anyone need 100 people on their ignore list? Do you encounter all 100 of these people on a regular basis? Do all 100 of these people even remember you? Do you remember why you even blocked them to begin with? If you need a note to remember why, chances are it's safe to remove them from the list. With some ignore list management, you can easily remove the people that don't need to be on there anymore and then block new people to your heart's content and you won't need to deal with those pesky whispers from strangers.

Well, I don't need that many. I have maybe 3 ignored, and I didn't even make notes about why. I suppose that it might be a bigger deal in pvp and pve endgame. Neither of which I bother with.

• wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I do get a once in a while random whisper; it's often players asking questions. Questions about my build or if I got a piece of gear they need. Most of the time they messaged the wrong player.

The only times when I block players in the game is when they are saying stuff that makes me feel uncomfortable and it is crossing the line.

I have the zone chat turned off which is basically the "mute all" option. Because before when I had the zone chat turned on, it was mostly guild advertising spam, rule violations, and other forms of nonsense.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ignore the DM and don't respond to it, it's like you never got it 😉
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Moothos
    Moothos
    ✭✭✭
    If you ignore the DM and don't respond to it, it's like you never got it 😉

This.

The only time I consider the ignore list actually necessary is when someone continuously spams your chat which disrupts the entire chat window.

I mainly PVP and there are a fair bit of people who will send me nasty whispers or just outright dislike me. Typically the only ones who continue whispering are the ones I choose to engage with. But otherwise if they don't get a response they'll give up.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I was thinking, I never realized but if the list really is 100 names, and you've actually maxed it, chances are a LOT of that list either completely forgot about you, or don't even play anymore. I'd say every so often just go in and clear the list, then re-ignore as you come across new people.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have anyone on my ignore list.
    PCNA
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think I have only few goldseller adbots in my ignore. Reporting those adds them automatically to ignore.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

That's what I was thinking, I never realized but if the list really is 100 names, and you've actually maxed it, chances are a LOT of that list either completely forgot about you, or don't even play anymore. I'd say every so often just go in and clear the list, then re-ignore as you come across new people.

Regardless of how long you’ve been playing, if you’ve needed to block 100 random people, and most of those aren’t spam bots, then there’s more to this story lol.

• NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man… if there was an option to only get whispers from people in your guilds or friends list, I think that would be a very popular setting. I certainly would use it, depending on my mood.

^ Adding more to my prior post…

I only have seriously offensive trolls and gold sellers on my ignore list. Like, 10-15 accounts.

But, there have been many players that randomly whisper me for liking my character’s name or outfit, or giving me compliments about something I say in zone chat, etc. And while that’s all fun and good… a lot of the time, if I respond to the whispers, even a simple “thanks”, people seem to think that’s their opening to add me to their friends list. And I’m too freaking nice and terrified of confrontation or awkwardness that I accept the friend request. Ugh. I would rather “hide” with the offline status than do anything else.

It doesn’t help that there’s an addon that will tell you when you’ve lost someone on your friends list… What if I delete a “friend” and they notice and confront me about it?! 😩😩😩
    (Don’t ask me what addon it is. lol. I’m on my phone posting this and I’m too busy playing other games to play ESO.)

SOooo… yeah. Let me just block strangers from being able to whisper me. It would help a lot.

P.S. I understand this is more of a “you” (me) problem and I’m really exaggerating and maybe even slightly fabricating some things. But still. Hasn’t ZOS learned that a large amount of its players would prefer this to feel more like a single player game? lol.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Regardless of how long you’ve been playing, if you’ve needed to block 100 random people, and most of those aren’t spam bots, then there’s more to this story lol.

There's always more to the story.