The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Official Discussion Thread, "Secrets of The Telvanni In-Game Event"

• fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is on sale on playstation now, maybe its going on sale at different times on different platforms (I remember it has done that in the past)

idd1d6ac0v7k.png
    Soupy twist
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »
    It is on sale on playstation now, maybe its going on sale at different times on different platforms (I remember it has done that in the past)

idd1d6ac0v7k.png

Thanks. I wish ZOS were not so tight-lipped about this. I'll keep an eye on the PC/ESO Store and see if anything changes.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

idd1d6ac0v7k.png

Thanks. I wish ZOS were not so tight-lipped about this. I'll keep an eye on the PC/ESO Store and see if anything changes.

And ... now it is on sale on PC. I am not sure what would have been so hard for ZOS to say, "Yes. Necrom will be on sale tomorrow at 10am on PS and XBox and 1pm on PC!"
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

idd1d6ac0v7k.png

And ... now it is on sale on PC. I am not sure what would have been so hard for ZOS to say, "Yes. Necrom will be on sale tomorrow at 10am on PS and XBox and 1pm on PC!"

There are a ton of rules around announcing sales early, especially when factoring in business obligations with our partners. While it would be great to be able to announce or hint at these early, that simply is not an option.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The drop rate for the Esoteric Parchments is utter and total garbage.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    huh. I guess they were just late. @Dagoth_Rac , the sale is live now
  • joergino
    joergino
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a disgusting event. Bastion Nymic? The way this supposed "fix for overland difficulty" is set up, I will definitely never even touch it. And now an event quest forces the player to go there? :(

As expected, of course, the "rewards" in the event boxes are utter trash. So this is yet another "get your event tickets and then forget about it" event.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joergino wrote: »
    What a disgusting event. Bastion Nymic? The way this supposed "fix for overland difficulty" is set up, I will definitely never even touch it. And now an event quest forces the player to go there? :(

As expected, of course, the "rewards" in the event boxes are utter trash. So this is yet another "get your event tickets and then forget about it" event.

Took me 1 min to find 3 other players to do the quest.

Before the event i have been soloing it, fun but takes 10 mins longer.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

idd1d6ac0v7k.png

There are a ton of rules around announcing sales early, especially when factoring in business obligations with our partners. While it would be great to be able to announce or hint at these early, that simply is not an option.

In the future, just quietly tell me. I can leak it for you. No blow back on you, that way.

Wait... did I say that out loud? :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Lol @Elsonso :D . You're out here trying to get me fired.

giphy.gif
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Here is the link of all the ongoing sales. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/64783
    Staff Post
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin: The pictures on the event page are falsely labeled, if you enlarge them to get a bigger picture. The text under the tome says Tralise, whereas the music box has Yensa written below. I just made the wrong decision based on that text and only realised my mistake afterwards when I was looking at the event page again.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @cynaes can you take a screenshot of what you're seeing? That way I have an example of what needs to be sent to our teams, if something needs to be fixed.
    Staff Post
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can I ask what time the event dailies reset please? I did the two event quests last night and they havent reset this morning (PS5 eu)

Edit - just found that the quest giver doesnt stay where you first met him, he is with the Impressario so I could pick up the quest
    Edited by fizl101 on September 29, 2023 7:14AM
    Soupy twist
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, am I doing something wrong?

I got my 5 pages after doing 5 delve + 5 boss + 2 nymic quests. I killed all the mobs and bosses I encountered, picked up all resources I saw and opened every chest. This feels like too much effort for a daily quest.
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I ask what time the event dailies reset please? I did the two event quests last night and they havent reset this morning (PS5 eu)

Edit - just found that the quest giver doesnt stay where you first met him, he is with the Impressario so I could pick up the quest

Thanks for posting this!

After doing the 3 necrom dailies on 4 alts yesterday, I ended up with 5 parchment pieces, and completed the Turning Pages quest yesterday. Today I could not find the Turning Pages quest giver where he was yesterday, so I was checking the forums and found your post.

Separately, after doing 4 bastion nymic, 4 world boss, 4 delves, killing and looting all enemies, I got 5 parchment pieces total. I think the drop rate for parchment pieces from dailies is low. Today so far I have completed the 3 necrom dailies on 1 alt, and got 1 parchment piece, so the drop rate is consistent.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »

Yeah, am I doing something wrong?

I got my 5 pages after doing 5 delve + 5 boss + 2 nymic quests. I killed all the mobs and bosses I encountered, picked up all resources I saw and opened every chest. This feels like too much effort for a daily quest.

I classify this quest as "one and done". I got my parchments mainly from resource nodes and mob drops. Got about 70/100 on the weekly endeavor for resources and 90/300 on the weekly endeavor for killing things and got 7 of them. I think I got one more from a chest that I stumbled across.

If, at some point in the future, I manage to collect 5 more of them, I will see if the quest is still being offered and turn them in. I don't even want to do it on my other accounts, other geographies, or on XBox, so if anyone is depending on me to get those participation rewards, sorry to disappoint.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The drop rate for me has been terrible. I’ve spent hours doing everything you can do in the area…WBs, delves, nodes, public dungeons, killing lots of random monsters on the landscape, opening chests, tapping containers, those nymic things, and still haven’t been able to complete the daily event quest even once.

Something is screwy with the RNG.
  • nebula3832
    nebula3832
    ✭✭✭
    Is the quest cost of knowledge a one per character quest or repeatable quest as managed to complete first day but was not available the following day?
  • nightstrike
    nightstrike
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I greatly appreciate and in fact applaud the attempt to make this event different than every other event, I think overall this one's a miss. That doesn't mean stop trying to innovate, just that this one belongs squarely in the "lessons learned" bucket.

First, the obvious. Proposing a situation where a bunch of people are going to be grinding away for a reward that will never come is not a good starting premise. Either a bunch of people will be pissed off, or at the end, you'll say "er... everyone wins!" Or maybe I'm misreading and everyone gets the chosen prize, not just the ones that guessed correctly? If so, then ignore this comment, and actually it's not a half bad spin on things. (EDIT: The way it seems to go is that everyone wins the selected prize, so the unhappy players will be the ones who don't really want that, but it'll likely come out again some other way, so it's probably ok. So really, this is a better community event than the fake "get to 100%" thing. Good job on the idea, but perhaps make the description of it less ambiguous? Or maybe I'm the problem here :smile: )

Beyond that, these community events are nice and everything, it's good spirit to have everyone working towards unlocking a goal, but like.... it would be a PR nightmare if the community didn't unlock every tier, so it's painfully obvious that the meter isn't real, at least in the sense that there's no way we won't hit 100%. You aren't going to get to the end of the event and tell your playerbase "ah, sorry, you weren't dedicated enough, better luck next time". I mean I guess some people just suspend disbelief or whatever, but given that there's widespread distrust between players and ZOS on *any* topic, why add fuel to the fire? Mind you, I don't have a better idea for a fun community event, but I'm also not paid to come up with one.

Let's talk about these event dailies. Now, part of this is due to the chapter having *awful* daily quests. If the event is in the chapter, that's what you're stuck with. But man, those bastion nymics are crazy time consuming. I guess this brings into question your design goals. What's the total time yuo're targetting for a player to spend doing dailies? I assume there's some general idea when creating content for time spent.

I'll highlight something good about them, though. They're doable compared to world bosses. There is a fundamental mechanic that just *HAS* to be deleted -- the lack of rewards with large groups. When you have events in a zone, populations go up, and playing the actual content becomes a painful experience. Nobody actually knows the metric -- top X damage dealers, only those who dealt more than Y% damage, etc. (with a lot of guessing for X and Y) -- but surely with enough people playing, the boss dies instantly and a bunch of people don't get loot. How is that good event design??? I feel like the designers of this only play on a dev system or PTS, and not in the real game where there is just too much traffic to play the content.

This actually spills over into another problem area with events in general, and this one is no different. Developers and artists and writers all spend time making detailed quests to promote an event, right? And in my case, I just paid $25 to play those quests (I refuse to prepurchase chapters anymore as a protest against your detestable account wide achievements change, and I can't participate in the event without buying it, so I wait until the last possible minute to do so.) So we have this guy, Master Faras, his two daughters, and his Mouth. They get into trouble, the player helps, etc. However, there are so many people standing around the NPCs (with 758934573498 Winged Twilights flapping in the wind) that you can't actually see what's going on in your own instanced content. So the graphic designers created what I assume is an interesting effect with Faras caught up in whatever and Tralise trying to help.... and we can't see it. Any of it. It's just a mass pile of other people all standing in the way. $25 well spent :( (And give me back my achievements!! >:( )

I get that it's an MMO, and there will be other people around, but this is instanced content that you can't actually see in your instance because of all the other people around...... Can you make it like the main quest, where you go through a loading screen into an area with only you?

See below, and tell me if as a designer, this is intended viewing after creating some neat artistic effects that are impossible to view....

EDIT: image removed, I guess I had nameplates turned on, so..... anyway, it was a bunch of people standing around blocking the view of a trapped Master Faras...

The only content I can appreciate without interruption is the dialog. So to comment on that, the script writing of the main event quest is...... uninspired. It's not all bad. The pages thing is a fun spin on how to take a story and turn it into a repeatable quest, and it fits in the lore. But the backing story... I won't go into exact detail here to avoid spoilers, but I felt like I was being fed real world propaganda on gender politics, especially with Tralise's final post-quest dialog. This seems to be a growing trend, and it's getting tiring. Please keep your own personal politics out of established lore.

Moving to other topics, I will say that unlike others, I haven't had an issue with the parchment drop rates. They certainly aren't great, at all, but I think this goes back to a difference of opinion between ZOS and players as to how much time we are targetting to spend each day on the event. If the Dungeon Finder is any indicator (insert rant about blitzing pledges....), I expect most want to spend about 5 seconds on it, but ZOS perhaps wants to stretch that time out, and drop rates certainly accomplish that. This is kind of a cheat code in game design, though. Much like how amping up a boss's hitpoints to make him harder is a poor man's approach to designing creative difficulty, setting low drop rates to extend event engagement is a poor substitute for just making content that's engaging in its own right. This harkens back to my very first statement, where I appreciate the attempts to do something different. So please keep trying, and maybe a future event will achieve longer play sessions that are fun instead of "daily chores".

I understand that there are limitations to a TES game in an MMO environment. This is why most things boil down to "go here, kill stuff, come back". This is where you need to double down on your Creative Department and come up with ideas that increase time spent in game without feeling like chores.

Overall, not the worst event, not the best. I'd say below average because of the time consuming part, on par for the annoying loot / missed content parts*, but far better than pvp or undaunted events that really bring out the worst in people.

(*) This doesn't mean I like those aspects, it's just that it's as bad as every other event, no better, no worse.
    Edited by nightstrike on October 3, 2023 3:28AM
    Warning: This signature is tiny!
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    On the first day I wasted too much time on BN getting the ichor, finding a group, then the dungeon itself which was interesting the first time but I don't know if I want to go through that again. I have too many other things I am achieving in the regular non-festival-game that I want to do THAN wasting time on THIS dungeon every day.

In no way am I ignoring the great post above, but what I'd like to know I could not glean from it: Do I have to do BN or will I miss out on too much?
  • aussie500
    aussie500
    ✭✭✭
    nebula3832 wrote: »
    Is the quest cost of knowledge a one per character quest or repeatable quest as managed to complete first day but was not available the following day?

It is repeatable, but they moved the quest giver after you do the first page quest to the Impresario tent near the stables in Necrom, and somehow expect people to know where he is.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    aussie500 wrote: »

It is repeatable, but they moved the quest giver after you do the first page quest to the Impresario tent near the stables in Necrom, and somehow expect people to know where he is.

the one at the Impressario is Turn the Page. I think cost of knowledge is the relic gathering quest you get from one of the sisters.
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laniakea_0 wrote: »
    aussie500 wrote: »

the one at the Impressario is Turn the Page. I think cost of knowledge is the relic gathering quest you get from one of the sisters.

What boggles my mind is that ZOS thought that on day1, my wood elf was supposed to be able to see through the mob of a 100+ other players that there were multiple quest bosses. I shouldn't need to use the forum to understand how the quest works.
  • shalalaA7X
    shalalaA7X
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the vote for this item for a reward is too many people quickly turn in quest and don’t pay attention to what they are choosing and many people don’t realize that there is a reward attached to their choice which favors the first choice in the quest. I do like the idea that the community votes but can you pass on to the team to see if there is something they can figure out for if they ever do this again to counteract this?

@ZOS_Kevin
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m loving this event! Yes, the event quest givers were super crowded at first, but you don’t go to a movie on opening night unless you enjoy the crowd! A lot of people, myself included, had questions about either the event or how Bastion Nymic works, etc., but the community as a whole was very helpful! :)

Sometimes I go a long time without getting any pages even with gathering and looting everything, but then I’ll get a bunch in a relatively short time, so I’ve been able to do the Turn the Page quest on several characters each day.

Rewards have been nice — furnishing recipes, motifs, style pages, and furnishings! :smiley:

Friday night, four players were playing the new mushroom drum emote in sync at the entrance to Necrom, players were dancing, and it felt like a party!
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolBlast3 wrote: »
    I dislike this "vote for what you want". If it was a player-by-player choice (so you yourself can pick what you want) i'd still be upset but less so. Putting this up to a community vote is just begging to have "influencers" ruin it for everyone else like what literally always happens with the yearly Minecraft vote.
    Please just either make it a by-player quest reward choice, or give us both.

This is how I feel.
  • laniakea_0
    laniakea_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    2nd. "When you open a Secret Telvanni Coffer, you have a chance to receive the following items:
    ... a motif page (Dead Keeper, Clan Dreamcarver, or Kindred’s Concord)"
    I'm very glad to see that this has been improved over the past years and we can now get ALL crafting motifs during the Celebration. but how exactly does this work? the fact that Kindred's Concord wasn't listed in the Crown Store announcement for September suggests that it's not actually obtainable in the game by standard means either, yet. Starting with the event, will these motif pages begin dropping in Bastion Nymic as the associated Achievement indicates?
    The next Crown Store Showcase may have the answer you seek.

It says it arrives on October 18th, 8 days after the event ends. so you can't actually get it during the event? I also noticed that any mention of the Kindred's Concord Motif was removed from the article. Why is this happening yet again, @ZOS_Kevin ? This has been a disappointment every time this event has come around in the past years. There's always a motif missing! This only adds grind to the game. We would all be very grateful if we didn't have to prolong this. We spend so much time in those activities, especially during the celebration! It's only fair that we should be able to get these rewards from day one! It's why I was so excited to see it listed in the article. This would've been a huge improvement, but now I'm just disappointed again! Being rewarded for completing a challenging activity is the the bare minimum and ZOS is continuously falling short of that! Motifs shouldn't be delayed like that. All contents of a DLC ought to be available at launch.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2nd. "When you open a Secret Telvanni Coffer, you have a chance to receive the following items:
    ... a motif page (Dead Keeper, Clan Dreamcarver, or Kindred’s Concord)"
    I'm very glad to see that this has been improved over the past years and we can now get ALL crafting motifs during the Celebration. but how exactly does this work? the fact that Kindred's Concord wasn't listed in the Crown Store announcement for September suggests that it's not actually obtainable in the game by standard means either, yet. Starting with the event, will these motif pages begin dropping in Bastion Nymic as the associated Achievement indicates?
    The next Crown Store Showcase may have the answer you seek.
    There are no answers in showcase:
    "The Crown Crafting Motif: Kindred's Concord will be available in the Crown Store on all platforms starting October 18, 2023, at 10AM EDT. The Kindred's Concord chapters, and very rarely the complete book, have a chance to drop from Bastion Nymic and Bastion Nymic Coffers, awarded from Ordinator Tandasea in Necrom."
    Event ends in 10th October, motif will be released in 18th. So I need to keep event coffers until 18th and only then open them to have a chance for this motif?
    Edited by Luke_Flamesword on October 2, 2023 1:44PM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all. Wanted to follow up with an update on the Kindreds Concord style page reward from the Secrets of the Telvanni event blog. This item, previously listed in the blog, was added in error and has been removed.
    Staff Post