Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How do you aim .. move ... and use skills at same time?

• emerald_gryphon
    I have a Logitech 9 button mouse - have had this model for about 7 years, I think. Got very used to using it with WoW (for four yrs) but my problem is mouse movement is too quick, for the most part. I've gone in and adjusted and readjusted the speed and it seems it's either to erratically fast for toon movement or too slow... As for switching key bindings... even when I've setup both my mouse attributes and in-game key bindings I still can't move forward with any ease or dependability. Plus when I try to bind in game keys to "sprint" using both left and right mouse buttons ... it seems to revert to default of attacking and blocking while stepping forward! But biggest headache is targeting quickly without overshooting enemy. I think I might try and adjust my contract to better outline pointer since it is white and most of staging areas are shades of grey... it doesn't stand out well. I use my 47in TV as my monitor so it's not like I have to squint to see anything! lol I'm trying to be patient but must admit I'm a bit frustrated. It's just me I know, and probably not any suggestions will shed much light on solution. But if someone knows how to get attack and block off the left/right MBs, I'm all ears. And yes, I have gone into key bindings and my mouse setting - ten times this evening! Hopefully by an even dozen I will have better grasp of controlling my 'toon! (crosses fingers)...
  • seancoulterub17_ESO
    or you could get a G510 gaming keyboard ( a little cheaper than getting a naga) and map your skills to the G keys and change your forward key to your left mouse click and your sprint to your right mouse click and then you just mouse turn and spam your skills until you run out of mana which is the problem im having at level 13 but im destroying mobs anyways cuz my dps owns all sorc dominion lightning baby!! ;D
  • flintstone
    flintstone
    ✭✭✭
    I use my xbox 360 controller in my left hand (but I only really use the left side of it.....thumb and one finger)........and a Razor game mouse with my right and. I really like playing PC games this way. (worked great for all the Mass Effect games also).
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne
    Soul Shriven
    I will second all the people recommending the Razer Naga, now that they gave finally created a left-handed version... :smile:
  • gimmethecreepsb14_ESO
    Greydog wrote: »
    It's not as intuitive as the usual "move with mouse/press hoykeys" type of fighting as the previous poster noted, you do get used to it.

I suggest rekeying dodge to your s key then use dodge/block when needed and standing your ground when ever you can.

This suggestion actually DRASTICALLY improved my play from the "double tapping" of the movement key. Thanks for the great tip!
  • Skjlvald
    Skjlvald
    ✭✭✭
    I dont understand OP.

You use , WASD to move , and press 12345 + Q + R for skills, you can add a second set of skills, but that is still almost nothing and it does not add more buttons.

If anything , this MMO got very few buttons you need to worry about.

I think he is talking about the awkwardness of strafing, etc, while simultaneously using an ability. I find it kinda funky myself, but ill get used to it.

Ulyn Andrano

VR3 Dark Elf Dragonknight

Ebonheart Pact
  • Lazarus_Long
    Lazarus_Long
    ✭✭✭
    In combat I put to use skills learned years ago in first person shooters. I strafe circles around my foe to disrupt their aim while hitting the number buttons and the clicking to attack. This is the FPS version of switching weapons for every attack and it works. Even if you foe moves after the attack your shots still hit as long as they started on target.
    The List For Living - A guide for new or troubled players

Hey Jute, get in my bag
    Take a lag spike and make it better
    Remember to let research play its part
    Then you can start to make a sweater

The Bohemian Auction House
  • Kangas
    Kangas
    ✭✭✭
    Logiteh G13 has a thumb stick I map to wasd. Now entire pad is open for binds.

Alsi get used to auto run keybind.
    On traditional kb just choose a different finger than index finge to press hotkeys while movi ng forward or switch strafe directions to hit appropriate keys while still hlding down movement key.
  • nhisso
    nhisso
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's sure better than the stand still, push a skill from a hot bar, and auto-attack MMOs of the world. ;)
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    I would absolutely re-bind your hotbar hotkeys. 1-5 are fine in a normal tab-based MMO, where you can use a hybrid movement that involves switching back and forth between using WASD and pressing both mouse buttons to move forwards when your finger has to move from W to hit a hotkey, such as some of those numbers (like 2-3).

It's absolutely not fine in a game like this, where you can't move by pressing both mouse buttons down, since those buttons are tied to actual actions, meaning your left hand has more responsibility for movement, especially in regards to pressing W to move forward.

Ultimately, whatever hotkeys you choose, you need to be comfortable with, but if you're using keys on the keyboard (as opposed to using a gaming mouse you're comfortable with), I'd use keys that your fingers that press A and/or D can press. Stopping sideways movement, imo, is far preferable to forward movement, when one is forced to make a choice between the two.
  • Feroc
    Feroc
    ✭✭✭
    Everything IMO of course:

The ideal way is to get a gaming mouse like the Logitech G600 with some more keys on the side. Now you can move, aim and use your skills without any limb-conflicts. ;)

Before I had mouse with extra buttons I just remapped a lot of my keys. WASD gets remapped to ES(D)F (moving backwards is rarely needed, so you could also skip D). Then you have a lot of keys available around those moving keys for skills.

Now usually you'll strafe in a fight, so you will have either S or F pressed (ring or index finger). Either W and X or V, T, G and B can't be (easily) reached while strafing. But you'll still have a lot of keys which should always be reachable: Q, A, Y (Z on US keyboards), D, C, R and < (don't know what it is on an US keyboard, the key left of the Z).
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use a gamepad and gaming mouse with 17 buttons total on the mouse so it's pretty easy, do you have a gaming mouse? You should look into one, can bind all your spells on the mouse alone, the gamepad just feels so much more comfortable for your hand and fingers than on a keyboard as well.
  • nochance
    nochance
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2425738,00.asp

It has made my gaming life so much easier and so much more fluid.... Will never g back to using a keyboard....
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question about using a multiple button gaming mouse. Since the skill menu only allows 5 skills to be mapped at once, you can't add more, right? Or can you?
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • wingnamrwb17_ESO
    wingnamrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You use 1 or 2 finger for movement for a moment and use another finger to press the skill button. Like how you press q, e or r.
  • smilingmaybe
    smilingmaybe
    ✭✭✭
    MaxBat wrote: »
    I have a question about using a multiple button gaming mouse. Since the skill menu only allows 5 skills to be mapped at once, you can't add more, right? Or can you?

No. It's not about binding more skills, it's about not having to use your left hand to potentially stop movement while firing off a skill.

While I'm not a big advocate of full 12-button keypad type gaming mice, as I find that many small buttons close to each other aren't all that conducive to quick reaction gameplay, a 10-15 button gaming mouse like a simpler Logitech (when you also consider left/right scroll/dpi increase/dpi decrease as "buttons") is pretty perfect in terms of sweet spot between too many buttons and not enough.

My only real issue with ESO was the inability to use shift modifiers, but that's largely due to my generic muscle memory way of binding skills across games, that I've already largely gotten used to not using in three days of playing.
  • Fancyotter98ub17_ESO
    you have 5 ability buttons, 1 ultimate, and 1 quick slot button. Map your buttons to easy to reach keys. If you have extra mouse buttons use those.

if you aren't used to hotkeys from other mmo's this could be real tough. However once you get used to it, you'll find the combat engaging and tons of fun!
  • LIQUID741
    LIQUID741
    ✭✭✭
    Castielle wrote: »
    Some users are using controllers to play. There is a guide here on how to set one up. If you don't want to use a controller I'd advise investing in a gaming mouse like a Naga.

Cas

This! The Naga mouse with 10buttons on the side for your thumb makes life so much nicer.
    Solid-Nightblade of AD
  • alenae1b14_ESO
    alenae1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @lupusrex
    lupusrex wrote: »
    I just split the movement and hotbar between different fingers of the left hand depending on which are in use. I guess it takes practice, but I've been playing MMOs for a while.

If it helps, you don't need to be too concerned about aiming. Press tab until the white corners outline your target, then you can get away with just sort of facing in that direction.

Thank you for that advice, I've done that w/o knowing how I did it, if that makes any sense.

• RavenRabbit
    This is why i got myself a Razer Naga mouse :) I love it for my gaming! Have all my number buttons right there on the side of the mouse, negates the need to use the keyboard number buttons for skills.
  • Grimm
    Grimm
    ✭✭✭
    I personally keep my main two attacks bound to the mouse whel up and down functions, and use the wheel button for my opener. I also have attacks bound to 1 and 4, with my ultimate on 5. This works pretty well for me.
    Balu'dar Grimm
    Pack Warden
    The Westwind Claws
    NA/DC
  • Hellsaint
    Hellsaint
    ✭✭✭
    @lypheb16_ESO Welcome to MMOs, welcome to gaming on PC! :D
    "Nords are so serious about beards. So many beards. M'aiq thinks they wish they had glorious manes like Khajiit."
  • Ysissiryl
    Ysissiryl
    A gaming mouse is one option, I even got one (Razer Naga Molten) but I do not really use the thumb-buttons for ESO, since I prefer my key-pad (Razer Nostromo... it seems it's not in production any more but replaced with the Orbweaver).

14 programmable keys for keybinds, "e", "r", etc. (now 20 with the Orbweaver) and an additional thumbpad that I use for movement while aiming and pointing with my mouse... more than sufficient for ESO and (IMHO) more comfortable.
    ~~~ This message is written entirely with recycled electrons. ~~~
  • Harleyquincey
    Harleyquincey
    ✭✭✭
    While I can not recommend using a Razer since those are known for issues regarding their mouse buttons becoming malfunctional (not all models though), I can really recommend a keyboard for your convenience - the Steelseries Merc one. It is different to common keyboards in that it has a special area on the left side that offers perfect accessibility to a multitude of keys (which can be reprogrammed to be any key you like). That does include a qwe/asd space for easy movement and close to that various other useful keys, best search for a product screenshot.

I'm using that since a few years now and it's simply terrific. As mouse, I personally use the Sharkoon Drakonia which is marvellous in my opinion but does not have the plethora of Razer-like mouse hardware.
    EU Server
    Clavius Lydoris Probus - Imperial Dragonknight Tank
    Co-Founder of [Black Manticore Brigade]
    Proud member of [Sigma Draconis] and [House Zar]
  • bittebo
    bittebo
    I cant play this game and im very sorry for that. I have play WOW in 7 years and i never had any problem. I cant play with the keyboard style. Why cant i connect with a controller or play with the mouse? Im a 56 years old woman from Sweden and i think we are many older people and we have the same problem. So i cant play this game and i cant get the money back.
  • flameweaver
    flameweaver
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been comfortable with WASD layouts, and have always favoured the use of the arrow keys.
    With this game I use the arrow keys, using double tap to dodge, and have mapped 1 -> 5 to numpad 1-> 5, mapped R (Ultimate)to numpad 6 and Z (Sheath) to numpad 0. That way movement and combat abilities are close together under my left hand and right hand controls the mouse and mouse buttons with left and right MB's set to default, Middle MB set to TAB to target and couple of side buttons under my thumb set to E and Jump.
    Works reasonably well.
    That said I also have an Xbox 360 controller/Xpadder combo that I experimenting with specifically for this game.
  • WhiteQueen
    WhiteQueen
    ✭✭✭
    1) Aiming isn't really that much of a problem. The system's very intelligent and forgiving.

2) A few finger exercises 5 min a day will help you limber up if you're not used to stretching them way out.

3) I have fairly small hands so I usually play in the claw position. middle three fingers on WAD, thumb on the space bar and little finger just hanging around, being useless.

4) When I need to activate an ability and move at the same time I use A and D, with my middle finger able to reach 1-3. If I need to press 4 or 5, I use my index finger and my middle finger controls movement.

Remember, your mouse will control the direction you're facing, so as long as you're not pressing S it doesn't really matter which direction you're moving as long as you're facing your target.

That being said, environmental awareness is still important. You don't wanna fall off a cliff. :D
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use mouse/keyboard for the UI.

I use an XBox 360 controller to play. I don't own an XBox, but I find it much more comfortable and faster to use in compatible games, as long as fine-grained aiming isn't necessary.
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • Nounous13
    Nounous13
    S1D3FX wrote: »
    I have a Razer Naga Epic with 12 buttons on the side of the mouse that I use to hot-key abilities. I've had it since my WoW days, and a brief stint with GW2. If you have the coin, it's a good investment IMO. They make a less "epic" version as well which has 6? buttons on the side if I remember right. I will admit there is a bit of a learning curve with committing the location of those 12 buttons to muscle memory, but once you get use to it, it's really convenient. Hope that helps.

You can check it out here:
    https://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-epic

I'm using the same (actualy I played SWTOR and FFXIV with it too) and it's just the best MMO-gameplay option you could possibly want to have.

Once accustomed to the 12 programmable keys you'll never want anything else, trust me on this one