Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crown Crates need to go

xFocused
xFocused
✭✭✭✭
Honestly, I have no idea why crown crates, loot boxes, whatever you want to call them are still a thing. RNG when it comes to these crates is such a terrible, soul crushing experience. I'll admit, I've seen items in the crown store that I've really wanted but because Zos locks them behind crown gems, I'm stuck to buying crates and hoping the item I want drops. Majority of the time, the items are either duplicates or trash pots, mimic stones, costume dyes or something else I have no use for. I understand you have the option to exchange them for crown gems but you only get so many crown gems back in this process and even then, the items in the crown store are so highly priced that you're stuck to just buying more crown crates, it's a vicious cycle.

Now I get it, this is how they make the $$ but I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why Zos doesn't follow the Fortnite item shop method. You see a item you want, you buy your v-bucks or use your v-bucks that you've saved up, you purchase your item. Boom. No RNG gambling nonsense. There's absolutely no way Zos wouldn't still make $$ from this method, not to mention, happier players. Sure, still give us the option to gift items, still use endeavors, but crown gems/crates need to be gone, it's just a poor system where the rewards are minimal most of the time
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a fairly recent board about this topic if you care to add to that conversation:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/639177/time-to-ditch-crown-crates-completely#latest
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure ZOS would still make money by just straight up selling items in the crown store.

However they are definitely going to make more money selling those things and crown crates that are limited time and have items in them you can't get anywhere else.

And if you know ZOS you know that they won't stop doing something that makes them money.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • xFocused
    xFocused
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »
    Sure ZOS would still make money by just straight up selling items in the crown store.

However they are definitely going to make more money selling those things and crown crates that are limited time and have items in them you can't get anywhere else.

And if you know ZOS you know that they won't stop doing something that makes them money.

See this is what confuses me. Zos could still do the "limited time" items without locking them behind RNG, lol. Most games release limited time cosmetic items but allow them to purchase them straight out with their currency instead of relying on loot boxes. I just don't see the need or reason for them at this point
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xFocused wrote: »
    Jierdanit wrote: »

See this is what confuses me. Zos could still do the "limited time" items without locking them behind RNG, lol. Most games release limited time cosmetic items but allow them to purchase them straight out with their currency instead of relying on loot boxes. I just don't see the need or reason for them at this point

Because a limited time item you can buy for say 2k crowns, everyone is going to pay 2k crowns for that.
    A limited item in a rare crown crate stage people are more likely to pay like 5k+ crowns and might still not get it.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because gambling is the absolute best method of income
    Guild master of Darkness of Sanguinaris. Birthday is December 4th.
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also you can use Seals of Endeavors to get any crown crate item you want.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only if the provider of the gambling is prepared to ignore the consequences of pressuring people into gambling.
    Highly debatable, considering how long it takes to accumulate enough seals to actually buy anything good, and the fact that many of these items are removed from the Crown Store eventually.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • IgnisDrakkon
    IgnisDrakkon
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have always been of the opinion that ZOS should just straight up sell the items in the crown store instead of having players gamble and slowly accumulate gems through said gambling. The gambling is turning off many players, new and old, and shortening the life span of this MMO. If ZOS had a longer-term view and took out the gambling loot boxes/crates and just made items obtainable through purchase through the crown store and some as rewards through accomplishments in-game then there would be a ton of happy loyal long-term customers playing ESO.
  • Warhawke_80
    Warhawke_80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New player here...

So... is this why folks get so angry when they see Someone riding a certain mount in town? I've noticed They can say some pretty nasty...and creative things especially if you're riding a radiant apex mount.

I was trying to figure it out I even commented about it before on the forums, but didn't get a reply
    ““Elric knew. The sword told him, without words of any sort. Stormbringer needed to fight, for that was its reason for existence...”― Michael Moorcock, Elric of Melniboné
  • dragonlord500
    dragonlord500
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do get jealous when people ride the Cursebound Senche-raht Darkfang mount but I never insult them or be mean to them.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...or not.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
    GM of Imperial Gold Reserve trading guild (started in 2017) since 2/2022
  • reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not true. They make the items most in demand either found in crates, purchased for endeavors or purchased with gems, but never all three methods of purchase.

Crown crates are just a bad look and the RNG is simply unfair the the buyer.

Meanwhile players who subbed for 5-8 years continuously have never gotten any kind of reward or mention of thanks, not even a mount.

Edited by reazea on August 20, 2023 11:32PM
  • hashii
    hashii
    ✭✭✭
    I wish all companies stopped adopting the gambling policies as a form of "gameplay". If you don't lose real life money, then sure, I think there is an argument that it can be unique and fun. But when it drains $100s of dollars or perhaps even $1000s, then it gets ridiculous. You can get so many other games - hours of entertainment and journey for that price.

Unfortunately mental addictions/mental drugs is so easy to capitalize on. Especially when other areas of the game don't have the same reward structure.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the USA adopts some of the anti gambling laws that have been implemented in other countries.

A mandatory paid sub is far superior to a loot crate business model.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    New player here...

So... is this why folks get so angry when they see Someone riding a certain mount in town? I've noticed They can say some pretty nasty...and creative things especially if you're riding a radiant apex mount.

I was trying to figure it out I even commented about it before on the forums, but didn't get a reply

Not sure. Tbh ive gotten all mine with endeavors. Crates come back. Takes a damn long time but they do. I got the dwarven spider mount with seals. Im waiting on the starchaser senche. Probably be a few months still with current rotations..
  • Gray_howling_parrot
    Gray_howling_parrot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter how many posts go up about this, they’re never leaving. The financial department at ZOS isn’t looking at these forums, the devs are. The financial department looks at a spreadsheet and there’s people that spend hundreds and thousands in this game on housing stuff. Just because you and I don’t like it, there’s gunna be housing and crate Andy’s that come up in here defending crowns and crate purchases 🤷🏻‍♂️
    ESO YouTube Content Creator & Templar Tank/Healer Main
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Only if the provider of the gambling is prepared to ignore the consequences of pressuring people into gambling.
    Highly debatable, considering how long it takes to accumulate enough seals to actually buy anything good, and the fact that many of these items are removed from the Crown Store eventually.

if you do endeavors every day they add up reasonably fast, but its certainly better than you know paying real money for crates

assuming the weekly endeavor is 200 and as a worse case every days daily was 10, you would make 410 seals per week

i think because of the variance of the dailies between 10 and 15 and the weekly between like 200-220, the avg amount of seals per week trends closer to 450 ("worse case" is 410 seals per week, "best case" is about 520 seals per week)

using an avg of 500 seals per week, you would expect to get around 8000 seals in 16 weeks (or 4 months) which is roughly the same duration as 1 crown crate season

so its up to your judgement if you want to spend seals on something, or if your on the fence its probably better to wait until something comes along that you really like

i know the rate isnt great, but again still better than the options of "nothing" or "pay real money for disappointment"
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • alay_NB
    alay_NB
    ✭✭
    I'd suggest something else. Delete the two low level tiers of the crates.

Nobody wants to get trash. Gem collection is only borderline legal but a better yield can fix the overall frustration of all who buy crates.