Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crossplay needs to be looked at more seriously for the health of ESO

• reazea
    reazea
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A huge "no thank you" to ESO cross play from this player.

I think it was a mistake for ESO to bring game boxes into the picture in the first place. That's when performance began to decline and adjustments had to be made to game to accommodate game boxes instead of the PC platform the game was originally designed for.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    reazea wrote: »

I think it was a mistake for ESO to bring game boxes into the picture in the first place. That's when performance began to decline and adjustments had to be made to game to accommodate game boxes instead of the PC platform the game was originally designed for.

If a pc cannot handle a game optimized for console performance, it sounds like a problem with the pc trying to run the game and not the game itself.

Not to mention, the game is on different servers, so PC performance literally has nothing to do with consoles.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »

If a pc cannot handle a game optimized for console performance, it sounds like a problem with the pc trying to run the game and not the game itself.

Not to mention, the game is on different servers, so PC performance literally has nothing to do with consoles.

This exactly. Color me confused because eso is also created with players in mind who can't optomise their pc every other patch. That has way more to do with it then console does? You might be able to optimize constantly but not everyone can. They won't kill their player base for a select group, same with console for last gen. Im on a ps5. Im not mad that it is set up so those ppl can play too....what the heck.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

PC is held back because of older consoles. Housing limits, item limits etc are due to older console limitations.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It's the consoles that can't handle a game created for PC so they've had to dumb the game down to accommodate game boxes. That's the core of the problem.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »

PC is held back because of older consoles. Housing limits, item limits etc are due to older console limitations.

old pcs as well. and zos will likely not drop support for any of them
    i like playing with friends who use a playstation 4 instead 5. not everyone can afford a new console. or newer pc
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS NA has plenty of players. I wouldn't mind Xbox NA and PS NA cross play,
    But no to PC and their cheating add ons.

And no cross play across an entire ocean, we have enough lag as it is.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Name one add on PC users have access to that is "cheating". Miats was neutered four or so years ago and since then the add ons are all quality of life improvements and a handful have been incorporated into the base game even.
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could do some stuff optional crossplay, like dungeon finder etc
  • VampiricByNature
    VampiricByNature
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty interesting the hatred that always goes towards consoles. To be honest, I had never played an MMO of any kind before- and found friends and a community on ps5 in this game. I always played single player games.
    I cannot imagine starting over. Going to pc would mean, re-purchasing the tons of character slots... crown store items... not to mention the game itself...etc. That just sounds horrible, without even considering re-leveling. Tons of people have done it- good for them.
    But if cross-platform existed? Or if I could get my ps5 characters to pc? I would definitely swap over.

Yes. Console players have people who think add-ons are cheating. They have players who think parsing with medium armor or a 2h is cheese/cheating too. That's just how they are. But there are WAY more people on console that have their only regret as finding this game on a console platform first.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Console players have people who think add-ons are cheating. They have players who think parsing with medium armor or a 2h is cheese/cheating too. That's just how they are. But there are WAY more people on console that have their only regret as finding this game on a console platform first.

You're right and I've nothing against console players in general. But calling at least one half of pc population "cheaters" because of stubbornly generalizing the own (completely wrong) opinion asked for a reaction.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • boi_anachronism_
    boi_anachronism_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    blktauna wrote: »

Nahbro its held back just as much if not more by less advanced pc players
  • festegios
    festegios
    ✭✭✭
    I’m down for cross play.

If anytime you have a console person in your group all add ons gets disabled.

Or they add the ability for console to get add ons
  • Overamera
    Overamera
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crossplay would be a dream come true on eso. Bigger community and more players would be a good sight to see. Perhaps keep updating the hardware like they recently did which improved the perfomance. Maybe every year or so or even every 6 month for perfect performance. From what i remember after 6 months after the update of the hardware lag started appearing
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a nice idea but I can almost guarantee you if they could turn on cross play tomorrow and just have it all work they probably would not to mention it would also affect patches with pc now also needing to wait for Microsoft's patch review to happen
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should make it possible to transfer a console account to be transferred to PC, but they should not have PC/Console cross play.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Completely different cultures on Xbox/Playstation versus PC. Would rather keep them separate.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on September 18, 2023 4:25PM
    PC NA
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Final Fantasy FFXIV is another MMO and also Crossplay with consoles and PC.
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destiny 2 is a crossplay 'MMO', and no one talks in it- but it works for the type of quick play game that it is.

However, I beleive its been mentioned, if not, - in a few interviews the mere hardware of the game (ESO)- it's foundations are not desgined to allow for crossplay (you have to imagine, with a game as almost 10 years old, how long its been delveloped for- and the technology then vs now).

I don't foresee it going cross play because To much Money to To Much Dev Time to get it to work. If it could work at all, due to the technology's limitations on the base that the hardware/desgin of the game.

However, I feel going forward, any new projects that will ZOS have, will be crossplay.
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• Cardthief
    Cardthief
    ✭✭✭

There are no current addons that are even close to be considered "cheating", hasn't been any for years now
    People need to realize that addons does not in any way shape or form constitute as "cheating"; they are merely community-made quality of life improvements to the game which ZoS themselves allows and freely gives the addon creators the means to do so
    (MC) Main DPS: Redz Kuinn - Lvl 50 - MagSorc - PvE
    Main Healer: Soranna Anilu - Lvl 50 - Templar - PvE
    Main Tank: Seamus Kuinn - Lvl 50 - Dragonknight - PvE
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cardthief wrote: »

There are no current addons that are even close to be considered "cheating", hasn't been any for years now
    People need to realize that addons does not in any way shape or form constitute as "cheating"; they are merely community-made quality of life improvements to the game which ZoS themselves allows and freely gives the addon creators the means to do so

Yeah, from what I can see the current addons on PC are almost all QoL and don't offer the kind of advantages we're used to seeing in other games where players even on console are using modded controllers.

Those that are complaining about not mixing player bases because of mods, name the specific mod that gives this big advantage over console controller users. Maybe there's a couple that makes Trials easier if you're a top 1% score pusher that plays to get your name on a leaderboard but those players barely exist on console now.

And if crossplay with PC was added, and you're one of these hardcore Trials players, you can now switch to PC and have all of your saved progress and gear and keep playing with your same guild and friends on console.

There is no reason not to add crossplay to ESO outside of the game simply not being cable of doing it because of the way the developers designed it.
  • festegios
    festegios
    ✭✭✭
    Cardthief wrote: »

Those that are complaining about not mixing player bases because of mods, name the specific mod that gives this big advantage over console controller users. Maybe there's a couple that makes Trials easier if you're a top 1% score pusher that plays to get your name on a leaderboard but those players barely exist on console now.

——
    Cmx, wizards wardrobe, adds ons that show exactly what mechs are going to happen and when. Add ons that shows individuals dps in the group. Add ons that allow daily crafting to be faster and easier. Add ons that allow skyshards and mage books to be found easier. Add on for treasure chests. Add ons for guild traders, almost every area of the game on pc has an add on that helps.

Personally I don’t care about what add ons pc have as I’m not on pc, although I do wish we had some of them available.

It’s not about the 1%. It gives access to the average player to play mechs without having to think for themselves or remember anything. the ability to swap sets instantly. Console users would then get compared to the pc players in logs and result in us ‘not being allowed to play’ with them as it’s not as effective as using a pc player with add ons.
    ——-

And if crossplay with PC was added, and you're one of these hardcore Trials players, you can now switch to PC and have all of your saved progress and gear and keep playing with your same guild and friends on console.

——-

Only problem with that is I don’t have a pc nor do many console players

——-

There is no reason not to add crossplay to ESO outside of the game simply not being cable of doing it because of the way the developers designed it.

• Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i66rlq0h3vl3.jpg

Granted this is late night PvP numbers but this is the most dead I've ever seen it on PS NA. Gray Host is populated during prime time for a few hours then the rest of the day it's one Alliance map capping. All the other server campaigns are completely dead.

We need Crossplay for at least Cyrodiil if nothing else.
  • notyuu
    notyuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Database, addon, player names, latency, server load issues aside I have one simple question

how would crossplay even work when an update comes out? ya know, with the fortnight long gap needed to get the update parsed and approved by sony/microsoft, how would console players interact with PC ones during that time peroid? after all crossplay wouldn't be something that could simply be turned off, given that the game wasn't built for it.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »
    Database, addon, player names, latency, server load issues aside I have one simple question

how would crossplay even work when an update comes out? ya know, with the fortnight long gap needed to get the update parsed and approved by sony/microsoft, how would console players interact with PC ones during that time peroid? after all crossplay wouldn't be something that could simply be turned off, given that the game wasn't built for it.

How does it work in Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny 2, Battlefield, Call of Duty, and the rest of the games that have larger player bases than ESO and are crossplay?

DLC and updates would have to go live on the same day instead of two weeks early on PC.

• Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC players don't want it because console players would prevail in PvP shattering the "Master Race" theory.
    I kid I kid! :D
    Disclaimer - I play on both PS and PC.
    Edited by Four_Fingers on September 21, 2023 5:42PM
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least make ESO free to play across all platforms instead of just Epic on PC and try to generate some buzz. This would be a great time to do it too with the launch of Endless Archive which is free.
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    notyuu wrote: »

It won't, which is why it hasn't happened.

The game was never set up for crossplay and it is not a trivial thing to shoehorn in crossplay. Not counting whatever contractual things they have with Sony, they haven't dealt with Cyrodil for like 4 years or simple bugs we've been complaining about for years, why does anyone imagine they will siphon resources to do crossplay?
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • LokiSage
    LokiSage
    ✭✭
    I have fond memories of this game, and I love seeing the new updates!

I played this game years ago on Xbox but moved to a PC and no longer own a console. My wife and I spent years building our characters and taking advantage of ESO Plus, and we often want to jump back in and play.

However, with our busy schedules and life, we do not plan on starting this game over. We're out until there is a way to import characters and ensure cross-save. I don't care about the name or anything else I've read on this page. As a player, I paid for a game (on multiple platforms), subscribed to a live service, progressed through the game, and have now switched platforms and would like to continue my adventure. As a developer, I'm stumped on how this has not been addressed over the many years, and it disappoints me every time I check in to see if it's been fixed.

Please enable cross-save for cross-progression so I may continue this adventure. This is a ridiculously basic modern-day feature that I'm sure most players in the community would appreciate, even if there is a loud demographic stating otherwise. I know many players in the same frame of mind as myself and would love to return but no longer play on a console.

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A lot of the big name multi platform game titles releasing today have moved to being crossplay enabled including Call of Duty, Battlefield, Destiny, ect. Is this being looked at for Elder Scrolls Online?

For me one of the biggest selling points of ESO has always been the PvP side but on Playstation numbers, especially during non peak hours, have really fallen off the last couple of years. The main Cyrodiil Campaign used to be full population on all three Alliances all throughout the day and now that only happens during a few hours prime time at night. The rest of the Campaigns are completely empty. I believe it's even worse on Xbox.

Having a large active player base improves the PvE aspects as well because with more players it's easier to find a group for any type of content you want to run regardless of your skill level. It also feels more like a social game when you enter well populated zones instead of zones where you're the only player there.

Have Zenimax made any official comments for or against crossplay in the future of ESO?

I would rather just have my account transferred or copied to PC now. The fact that I have so many achievements on Xbox is the only thing keeping me from moving to PC and at least being able to play with some streamers I like.