Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Fake Tanks are so prevalent I've had to Off Tank on my Healer

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Another class, another character, another grind to level undaunted, so I've been pugging pledges recently and I've caught on the fake tank issue has worsened last I experienced it. Last time competent DD's would fake role so at least it was made up for. Now I've been getting fake tanks that don't even have a grasp of gameplay mechanics, rotations, ability use etc. I've been Healing on my Arcanist and one Dungeon I had enough and slotted the class taunt. Ever since I've stepped up as Tank whenever needed, I've even fulfilled both roles simultaneously in Vet Hardmodes so we got keys. (Nice finding out my Arcanist can do that)

Anyone else who pugs notice this? It's also like Tanks are nearly nonexistant these days, after my first pledge the queue for the other as a Healer went a half hour and I gave up.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t bother stepping up anymore. I just leave. I have other characters to play, I’ll just queue as a tank and come back later. I only put in the effort to clear when at least 2 of the pugs do too.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
    Options
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake tanks again? I ran into some of those too recently in eso. The worst is when doing a veteran dungeon that I never did before and I want to complete it.

I kept stealing aggro from the tank on the first boss. Then dead-- I got a low hp but high stamina and magic build (pure damage, low survivability, low healing).

Later on the tank left. No one else did. It took a long time before an very good tank showed up. Thank goodness we managed to complete that dungeon.
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake tanks and fake heals should be reported for cheating, IMO.
    After all, it's a way to cheat the intended system.

They'll tell you "you don't need an heal or a tank for this dungeon" or "I prefer 3 or 4 DDs runs" or "i'm good enough because" ..

The ugly truth is they only want to queue fast, hope they'll be carried, and don't care if they annoy anyone.
    Selfishness, and absolutely nothing else, is at play, here.
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yea unless im doing random dungeons with a planned group i just tank. can't be bothered trying to dd or heal with randoms anymore.
    sometimes with veteran dungeons i expect more but even then still occasionally get people who aren't the roles they queued for.

edit to add:
    for people that fake role
    you cannot know which dungeon you get until you are loading into the dungeon. it could be anything from fungal grotto to bal sunnar.

it does not matter that You can solo a few dungeons. if you select a role please be that role and play with your group.
    you decided to be in a group.
    skipping enemies will often result in the dungeon taking longer due to not being able to open doors or You dying

or your group dying. not every person in the game can do what you can and you can't expect that from every level 10+ character.

if you think you can totally fake tank because you believe tanking isn't necessary please use a taunt, stop rushing,
    and do not die from things your group doesn't die from which most often happens due to you rushing.

taking the time to complete a dungeon as a group won't hurt you.
    Edited by LunaFlora on July 21, 2023 12:45PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually grumble my way through the dungeon depending on the dungeon itself. However if my DD ends up having to do all 3 roles at once, I will just leave group. If I wanted to solo a dungeon with companion tier teammates, I'll just manually walk myself without the headaches.
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    skipping enemies will often result in the dungeon taking longer due to not being able to open doors or You dying

I see this so much especially in Tempest Island especially when there's just one enemy in the corner somewhere near them but they will continue to hump the door.
    Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've noticed it a lot as a healer lately OP and I suspect it will get much worse when ESO is free on Epic. I used to not care if the fake tank slotted a taunt and actually tanked; I'd keep him alive and finish the dungeon but lately I've gotten a lot of "tanks" with who don't slot a taunt and run in circles trying to avoid the boss. It's the to the point that if the tank has 18K health and I'm in a DLC dungeon I ask if he needs me to pop an armory assistant to put his tank spec on and if he doesn't I bail and take the timeout penalty. I don't have the time or patience to waste my time trying to tank the boss as a healer, because bosses love healers, when he's playing DPS in a tank slot.
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, when I'm with like-minded people, we let the fake tank go forward, try to solo everything himself, and if he don't die, we kick him out the dungeon when he's about to reach the final boss..
    ..then we finish the dungeon without the interloper. (if we can)

No need to bail because some people are toxic.
    Options
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose it was inevitable that fake tanks/roles would creep into vet pugs given they've been conditioned from normal dungeons. :(

If I was pugging, which I don't do a lot, and caught a fake role in vet it would be vote to kick or quit with, probably, a suitably ascerbic parting comment.

Normal dungeons, ok. Veteran dungeons: no.

Options
  • tincanman
    tincanman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    Usually, when I'm with like-minded people, we let the fake tank go forward, try to solo everything himself, and if he don't die, we kick him out the dungeon when he's about to reach the final boss..
    ..then we finish the dungeon without the interloper. (if we can)

No need to bail because some people are toxic.

lol - I love this! :)
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tincanman wrote: »
    I suppose it was inevitable that fake tanks/roles would creep into vet pugs given they've been conditioned from normal dungeons. :(

If I was pugging, which I don't do a lot, and caught a fake role in vet it would be vote to kick or quit with, probably, a suitably ascerbic parting comment.

Normal dungeons, ok. Veteran dungeons: no.

At least on PS NA fake tanks in vet dungeons have been a huge problem for ages (going back at least as far as the Elsweyr chapter). It's a huge part of why I don't currently have ESO+. I can manage base game dungeons without a proper tank, but DLC dungeons aren't sufficiently forgiving without a proper tank at my skill level.

My biggest frustration with fake tanks in vet is that they (or whoever ultimately winds up with aggro) tend to kite bosses out of ground-based AoE damage, which reduces total group damage dramatically, making everything die super slowly.
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After latest DPS nerf i don't bother going into veteran dungeons on my tank or healer - if both DDs are bad, run will take 40-60 minutes, which is not acceptable for me.
    If you want real tank and healer - make your own team and don't go through random team system.
    Options
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd still take a fake tank over no tank. Did a random vet last night on my healer and got pulled into Vet Black Heart Haven. Tank looked at the group and saw both dps were under 200cp so just instantly quit. We waited a bit for a replacement that never came. We got through the first boss ok with no tank then I asked group if they'd mind if I switched from heals to my solo build and they slotted some self heals. 3 of us did the whole dungeon with ease so shame on the tank that instaquit. First time I've had to use my armory assitant in a dungeon
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
    Options
  • DoggedBark24
    DoggedBark24
    ✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    After latest DPS nerf i don't bother going into veteran dungeons on my tank or healer - if both DDs are bad, run will take 40-60 minutes, which is not acceptable for me.
    If you want real tank and healer - make your own team and don't go through random team system.

I have a real tank and 2 characters that *can* tank (with a taunt of course). When I go into a dungeon like normal Elden Hollow 1 on my real tank and it takes 25+ minutes it's ridiculous and miserable, but on my characters that *can* tank I atleast know that we will be finishing most dungeons within 15 minutes.

Similarly, I have real healers and some that *can heal* and just like before being on real healers can super miserable compared to my *fake* healer counterpart. In both cases, I don't heal stupid, if you stand in lava/fire or continuously stand in bad aoes you're gonna die and hopefully they'll learn that heals are on tank.

To the whole fake tanks and healers should be reported for cheating is nonsensical to me, if they're being toxic about it you report them for that. I don't go and report the low dps (like on par with my real tank or healer) for "cheating" because they aren't doing a substantial amount of dps because that would be absurd.
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you queue as DPS, by all means, feel free to play one.
    Don't queue as a tank or healer, though.
    If you don't want real tank and healer - make your own team and don't go through random team system.
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a real tank and 2 characters that *can* tank (with a taunt of course). When I go into a dungeon like normal Elden Hollow 1 on my real tank and it takes 25+ minutes it's ridiculous and miserable, but on my characters that *can* tank I atleast know that we will be finishing most dungeons within 15 minutes.

Similarly, I have real healers and some that *can heal* and just like before being on real healers can super miserable compared to my *fake* healer counterpart. In both cases, I don't heal stupid, if you stand in lava/fire or continuously stand in bad aoes you're gonna die and hopefully they'll learn that heals are on tank.

To the whole fake tanks and healers should be reported for cheating is nonsensical to me, if they're being toxic about it you report them for that. I don't go and report the low dps (like on par with my real tank or healer) for "cheating" because they aren't doing a substantial amount of dps because that would be absurd.

Well, as long as you tank and heal, you're fine by me (though I would expect buffs/debuffs coming from you).
    If I have to self heal or if the boss starts pursuing randoms player, you are cheating and I'll 100% report you for it (even if I know ESO won't do a thing about it (sadly)).

The whole "fake DPS" shtick is only an self-indulging excuse one use to justify one's selfishness and cheat on the queue.
    Edited by preevious on July 24, 2023 6:12PM
    Options
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you queue as DPS, by all means, feel free to play one.
    Don't queue as a tank or healer, though.
    If you don't want real tank and healer - make your own team and don't go through random team system.
    I queue only as tank or healer, for 6 years by now.
    In normal dungeons, 99% of time its fake tank or healer, and in veteran dungeons its fake DDs, which is even worse, so the only way to get real roles is to avoid random queue.
    Options
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well, as long as you tank and heal, you're fine by me (though I would expect buffs/debuffs coming from you).
    If I have to self heal or if the boss starts pursuing randoms player, you are cheating and I'll 100% report you for it (even if I know ESO won't do a thing about it (sadly)).

The whole "fake DPS" shtick is only an self-indulging excuse one use to justify one's selfishness and cheat on the queue.

It's not cheating and does not go against ToS, and weaponizing the reporting system to push a specific playstyle on other players is excessively toxic and a huge problem in the game right now, especially given the company's unfortunate habit of "ban first, ask questions later". That is shameful behavior.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p00tx wrote: »

It's not cheating and does not go against ToS, and weaponizing the reporting system to push a specific playstyle on other players is excessively toxic and a huge problem in the game right now, especially given the company's unfortunate habit of "ban first, ask questions later". That is shameful behavior.

It is not toxic.

If you queue as a Tank, you are basically agreeing to tank. There is a role selection for a reason.
    If you don't, yes, it's in my opinion a form of cheating. It's an abuse of the queue system with the objective of having a lower time to wait. A bit like cutting in line. (granted, it's not a very well done system, zenimax could do better)

I don't consider that a playstyle, and I'm not weaponizing anything.
    I'm reporting something I deem very worthy of report in the hope that, one day, Zenimax will take the problem into account and find a way to fix it.

Because I still think it's a big problem, in dungeons.

EDIT : Saying I'm pushing a specific playstyle on other is highly ironic. I'm not the one who forces people to play without a tank or an healer, roles wich they hoped to find when they decided to queue.
    Edited by preevious on July 27, 2023 12:43PM
    Options
  • Lebkuchen
    Lebkuchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great way to fix this would be a short quest before every dungeon while you are waiting in the queue for a pug. If you are in a premade group you don't have to do the quest.

Everyone gets sent into a private dungeon with an NPC group, and have to play their role for a couple of minutes. Just to see if they are able to do it.

- Tanks have to tank two or three bosses. NPC friends are not allowed to die.

- Healers have to keep their NPC group alive.

- Damage Dealers would have to be able to kill the bosses in that time.

After doing the quest you are not allowed to change your build anymore, or you will be removed from the queue and have to do it again. If you can't do the quest you will be removed from the queue.

And it would be nice if we could queue for easy dungeons (non dlc) and hard dungeons (dlc) seperately. Because every time i want to farm a hard dungeon using the groupfinder at least one groupmember leaves right away before everyone is even loaded in. Most of the times it's the tank who just wanted to do an easy random dungeon.
    Options
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lebkuchen wrote: »
    Great way to fix this would be a short quest before every dungeon while you are waiting in the queue for a pug. If you are in a premade group you don't have to do the quest.

Everyone gets sent into a private dungeon with an NPC group, and have to play their role for a couple of minutes. Just to see if they are able to do it.

- Tanks have to tank two or three bosses. NPC friends are not allowed to die.

- Healers have to keep their NPC group alive.

- Damage Dealers would have to be able to kill the bosses in that time.

After doing the quest you are not allowed to change your build anymore, or you will be removed from the queue and have to do it again. If you can't do the quest you will be removed from the queue.

And it would be nice if we could queue for easy dungeons (non dlc) and hard dungeons (dlc) seperately. Because every time i want to farm a hard dungeon using the groupfinder at least one groupmember leaves right away before everyone is even loaded in. Most of the times it's the tank who just wanted to do an easy random dungeon.

this would really put people off from using the queue at all, and go back to the old school "zone chat lfg" to do randoms

i dont really find dlc dungeons all that much harder than non dlc, they usually just have a few more mechanics (majority of which are ignorable on normal unless its like a cc that you cannot break out yourself)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
    Options
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    When I queue solo as tank its most often too low dps i just alt f4, i guess why a lack of tanks, no one want to go at a snails pace, then i guess some people think as so little tanks they go fake tank because of the long queue times because no one wanna tank randoms with so many low dps ones about, and in general most seem to prefer dps. i like tanking if i know who im with are decent im all for it. i also like fake tanks for normal dungeons as they aint even needed, just vet stuff
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
    Options
  • GimpyPorcupine
    GimpyPorcupine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious solution to this, which I've been using since dungeon finder became a thing, it to spec the character you're leveling Undaunted as a tank. Now that Armory is a thing, and you get 2 free slots per toon, it's even easier.
    8-hr/day casual gamer on Xbox NA. 20 Characters, all DC, all Level 50. +2200CP
    Options
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It is not toxic.

If you queue as a Tank, you are basically agreeing to tank. There is a role selection for a reason.
    If you don't, yes, it's in my opinion a form of cheating. It's an abuse of the queue system with the objective of having a lower time to wait. A bit like cutting in line. (granted, it's not a very well done system, zenimax could do better)

I'm reporting something I deem very worthy of report in the hope that, one day, Zenimax will take the problem into account and find a way to fix it.

EDIT : Saying I'm pushing a specific playstyle on other is highly ironic. I'm not the one who forces people to play without a tank or an healer, roles wich they hoped to find when they decided to queue.

Then report the issue, not the player. People do not deserve to be banned/suspended because you don't agree with the way they play the game. I understand why you're frustrated, and even I get frustrated when I get randomly assigned a group of people in a DLC dungeon and they're clearly not on the proper roles, not doing any damage whatsoever, and have no idea how to do the mechs, all when I was just hoping to drag one of my healers through a random normal for some transmutes and XP. I don't feel it's my job to punish them for my frustration though, and either leave the group or just push on and hope for the best.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
    Options
  • Adernath
    Adernath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to Cyrodiil, there you find all the tanks you are looking for...
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not toxic.

Then report the issue, not the player. People do not deserve to be banned/suspended because you don't agree with the way they play the game. I understand why you're frustrated, and even I get frustrated when I get randomly assigned a group of people in a DLC dungeon and they're clearly not on the proper roles, not doing any damage whatsoever, and have no idea how to do the mechs, all when I was just hoping to drag one of my healers through a random normal for some transmutes and XP. I don't feel it's my job to punish them for my frustration though, and either leave the group or just push on and hope for the best.

I don't say they should be banned. I say they should be sanctionned.
    The sanction is not up to me.

I think they should be because they are exploiting the system at the expense of their unfortunates teamates.
    If I see someone cheating, I report the cheater, for he is the problem.
    I can solo dungeon too, but I'm somehow able to refrain queueing as anything other than a DPS. Because I understood that imposing a 3DD run to 3 other players that were just willing to run a dungeon is not good. It's a gross abuse of the system.

So, yeah .. fake tank or fake heal --> automatic report (and very much deserved, at that).
    Options
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adernath wrote: »
    Come to Cyrodiil, there you find all the tanks you are looking for...

You think they can be hired for dungeons? :D
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These type of problem have already solved. Just you must have your real tank and healer character,
    and queue by your tank or healer character. No fake anymore.

And if you meet fake tank or fake healer unfortunately at the random as DD, then do instance kick as first as you can.
    And try to call your decent guild member or friend.

Many people try to make similar thread over and over, but no other solution.

Edited by AvalonRanger on August 8, 2023 4:59PM
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These type of problem have already solved. Just you must have your real tank and healer character,

And if you meet fake tank or fake healer unfortunately at the random as DD, then do instance kick as first as you can.

How does playing as a healer solve fake tanks or playing as a tank solve fake healers?
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How does playing as a healer solve fake tanks or playing as a tank solve fake healers?

Well, unfortunately I've seen many of both fake tank and fake healer as DD.
    (I'm tank main player though.)

"How does playing as a healer solve fake tanks or playing as a tank solve fake healers?"

I understand what you want to say, there're not much solution about this.
    If you meet fake tank in some dangerous DLC dungeon, then leave immediately.

If you wear Mazzatan monster set or some heavy armor, you can survive without
    tank's support. And can do some healer work without tank. But tank set for the tank,
    not for healer's one. (Basically light armor has best function for the healer.)

Kick fake role player as first as you can, and call your decent guild member or friend.

My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing an MMORPG doesn't mean the player has friends, or a Guild to call on.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options