The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Fishing and Coelacanth

Granden_Woodleafson
Those who avoid fishing are missing out on loads of 100% XP boost by getting the Perfect Roe, making Psijic Ambrosia then using that to make Aetherial Ambrosia. In addition you'll need to get Diminished Aetherial Dust by doing Master Writs which behooves you to get all the crafting traits for each type of equipment and consumables. I have over 150 *** now, I chug one before every Random Dungeon and turning in a bunch of quests at once. It takes a little work to get to the point where you can get enough Diminished Aetherial Dust, but once you have mastered Master Writs, it becomes no problem at all. It all begins with fishing to get that Perfect Roe that you get from catching and cleaning hundreds of fish, to me it's worth it and FUN getting to the holes and sightseeing. THOSE WHO DON'T take up fishing are getting their XP boosts from Crown Experience scrolls that is doled out very slowly from Daily Rewards. OR they buy them from the Crown Store or Guild stores, that would be very expensive at the rate that I use them. That's my rant on fishing, now for my question:

At which hole did you catch the COELACANTH in Shadowfen?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 3, 2023 3:27PM
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've caught 5 of them (4 master fishers, working on another one) - and I have no idea which hole on any of them, sorry.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    thank you for letting us know.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i fished enough to get master angler, and a few times in some other dlc zones for antiquity leads

in order to get me to fish more regularly they would seriously have to change the entire fishing minigame, because i greatly dislike the current one (i want to hit E to fish and then have it auto reel in, it feels like its less work to play tribute than do fishing)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You realize we get enough EXP Scrolls from daily logins that most people don't need to bother with the snooze fest that is Fishing, yes? I have over 200 of the 50% Scrolls, I think around 50 of the 100% ones, and around 10-15 of the 150% ones.

I know there are people who like Fishing because they think it's relaxing, or they want the Achieves/Leads for it, or just like it. Most people don't, though, and see it as tedious and boring. Why go through the effort of getting one or two Roe in potentially hours for EXP boosts when we already get them thrown at us left right and center just for logging into the game?
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably make way more XP running dungeons than spending that time fishing for perfect roe.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got master fish 4 years ago and I have no idea which hole I caught the Coelacanth in.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fishing does not make enough money per hour to be worth it in comparison to other activities.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Coelacanth was the very last fish I caught. The relief instantly wiped my memory, so I really don’t remember where I caught it.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm closing in on 2000cp and there is very little point in getting more. I save my exp scrolls for leveling up companions.
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    i care little for the cp since i have enough for practical purposes. i just use the free scrolls on my toon that does easy master writs, that has taken me from around cp 1400, when the system changed, to cp 2400 today. i'm skeptical that the opportunity cost of all that fishing is worth it, seems like you could make gold some other way and buy the perfect roe/xp pots/scrolls. i don't enjoy the fishing in this game. i usually do it when i'm too intoxicated for anything more involved, i just went back and started doing it a bit after a 2 month break and it was as unengaging as ever. i've been working on shadowfen and i caught a coelacanth within the last few days, i can't recall the exact fishing hole but the location in the zone is irrelevant. eschew delusional pattern recognition if that's where this is going. good luck!
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    Thank you for the replies, I guess I'm one of the ones who likes fishing in ESO. The randomness of it and finding holes is like real fishing to me. I don't fish all the time, just when I'm working on a certain province to get the Adventurer achievement for that province. I usually have 3 things going on when I'm fishing (in meat-space): I have baseball on, I'm a baseball nut, I have entertainment going on on my pc (ESO is on my PS4), and lastly I am fishing in that province; I never feel bored so it's probably just me. I can understand why some people don't like it, let me guess they don't like fishing in meat-space either.

ARUNEI: If you are accumulating that many experience scrolls from daily rewards, are you actually using them at all? I've been playing for 2 years now and I've never accumulated that many XP scrolls because I use them. Right now I have 11 50% and 1 150%, I rarely get a 100% scrolls.

I will quit worrying about XP boosters when I reach 2000cp of course, that has always been the plan. I love Aetherial Ambrosia and what it takes to acquire them.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't find fishing boring. As I said, I already have 4 master fishermen and working on number five. Unlike you though, I don't pollute my baseball with playing ESO - when I watch a game, I watch the game. Then I go back to ESO.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also one the guys who really likes fishing. Just doing it for the chilled fun it is, mostly together with my girlfriend while we're chatting about something. When I see someone else fishing I also most of the time can't resist joining him for a few rounds. No chatting, just fishing. This is the way :smiley:

Did my master angler years ago and therefore really can't remember where exactly I got this specific fish. Although I DO remember very well that shadowfen was the last base game zone where I finished my achievement. This histcarp is a really shy fish and I'm still happy everytime I catch another one.

I never go after perfect roe tho, they're just sitting in my craftbag as I refuse trading due to flipping. The only use I could find for them is to sometimes gift a few to newer players when I meet them at a spot.

And I'm quite pleased it's not a viable way for making money anymore. It's less crowded this way.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have one master angler. I have no idea where that fish mentioned was found. I just know that the last rare fish in a given zone is usually the worst one to get. While fishing achievements were character specific, I had intentions of eventually getting master angler on all of them. Now that it is account wide, I am less inclined to fish. I may still fish on occasion but only because it is the only true way to clear the map of fishing hole markers (outside of toggling off the filter or removing the addon of course).

I rarely use any XP boosts and have growing stacks of them. I have alts that just level up through daily writs and using a XP boost while helpful in the moment is really a waste as more time is lost than actually used. I've worked on learning the previously mentioned recipes for my main but have no intention of making them.

When you're already at a CP level where every passive can be maxed as well as the desired slotted ones maxed, there isn't really any point to earning new CP any faster. And when the alts will suddenly jump to that CP level at 50, I'd rather not speed up the leveling process.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • miteba
    miteba
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like fishing... I do! And sometimes i am highly motivated to do it for master angler and for perfect roe but truth is that after 10~15min my eyes become numb and that's the end of my play session...

Edit: I hope that my future fishing companion Sharp-as-Night will help avoid that... being very talkative, for instance.
    Edited by miteba on June 1, 2023 3:05PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i also have several hundred xp scrolls laying around from daily logins, i dont really use them except to level companions, or very rarely, new toons lol

almost cp2400 so i dont feel there is a need to use them
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    TaSheen wrote: »
    I don't find fishing boring. As I said, I already have 4 master fishermen and working on number five. Unlike you though, I don't pollute my baseball with playing ESO - when I watch a game, I watch the game. Then I go back to ESO.

Thank you for the support fellow baseball nut. Although baseball to me is like fishing: there's a lot of lulls where you can pay attention to something else until you know when an exciting play is coming or you're getting a bite on your line. I like listening to the booth crew at the games in the background, a LOT of baseball info being transmitted.

For all the others who like (and dislike) fishing, my real point is there's a lot of components to it for me such as:
    1. finding the holes,
    2. cleaning the fish after you're done which takes time but you can do this passively too,
    3. brewing the Psijic Ambrosia,
    4. doing master writs to get the writ vouchers (which is fun within itself) to get the Diminished Aetherial Dust,
    5. brewing the Aetherial Ambrosia (and don't forget the Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl for better odds at the trophy fish),
    6. using the AA wisely: I only use it before turning in quests and I only turn in quests in bunches not right after I finish a quest, I let them accumulate with 6 or 7 quests ready to turn in. Also I chug AA just before doing a Random Dungeon doubling the XP from the dungeon run and killing higher level enemies.

Couple more things:
    I don't really see how you're accumulating hundreds of XP scrolls from Daily Rewards unless you're not using them which means you are probably over 2000cp of which makes the point moot because that's my plan too. You're only getting about 7 or 8 scrolls per month via Daily Rewards. FOR EXAMPLE: you're only getting 7 XP scrolls this month.

There's other massively real time consuming tasks that you do in this game such as getting all the traits on equipment across the board including jewelry, it took me months with scrolls for instant research and buying scrolls from guild vendors that moved up the research time a day (you can't use multiple scrolls for a type in one day that you buy, you can with the crown scrolls). A LOT of things in this game require real-time to accomplish, not just game-time. From that perspective, fishing is by far the less boring than other activities you do in ESO.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you weren't aware, in Q3 (I think it is) we'll be getting a QOL fix to use a provisioning station to mass-fillet fish.

• Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the most i ever did with the fishing was points 1 and 2, finding the holes and filleting the fish

i cant even remember the last time ive actually made psijic ambrosia, usually i just sell the extra perfect roe directly (for nearly 100k each right now on pc/na lol)

for me the thing that annoys me about fishing is that i see it as a material harvesting activity, every other material harvest you hit the interact button to harvest the node, then you get the loot after the animation plays

but to me fishing seems like its dividing the interact into actually 2 separate interact steps, one of which you have to actually pay attention to

i would love to do fishing while watching tv or a movie or something, but without the votans fisherman addon to alert me when to reel in, i would miss every fish, and even with the alert i still sometimes miss a fish, which at that point its just wasted time and bait

so since fishing has to be significantly worse than every other material harvest, i rarely bother doing it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In case you weren't aware, in Q3 (I think it is) we'll be getting a QOL fix to use a provisioning station to mass-fillet fish.

I think it indeed is already coming as part of the chapter as far as I understood following PTS patch notes.

At least I hope so. Didn't filet my fish for 3 weeks now...
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »

I think it indeed is already coming as part of the chapter as far as I understood following PTS patch notes.

At least I hope so. Didn't filet my fish for 3 weeks now...

Oh, that would be AWESOME. I think I asked a while back, don't remember where, or if I got an answer. The page goes so fast most of the time, I forget I need to look at stuff.... And then sometimes some of the mods move threads and I never can find them again.

• Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, at least it was already at PTS, so I think we will see it with chapter launch.

You can find it here almost right at the beginning (Update 38 base game):

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/631584/pts-patch-notes-v9-0-0#latest
    ---
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks - for some reason I didn't read that first set of patch notes. So that's really good. I've got a bunch of stacks in the bank....

• Djennku
    Djennku
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said. Mass-fish filleting is coming with the Necrom chapter, so you won't have to wait long.
    @Djennku, PCNA.

Grand Master crafter, all styles and all furnishing plans known pre U41.
    Vamp and WW bites available for players.
    Shoot me an in-game mail if you need anything, happy to help!
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For making XP potions, I just buy the perfect roe and skip the fishing step completely.

Maybe I will give it a shot again depends how the mass fish filleting option works.
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    the most i ever did with the fishing was points 1 and 2, finding the holes and filleting the fish

i cant even remember the last time ive actually made psijic ambrosia, usually i just sell the extra perfect roe directly (for nearly 100k each right now on pc/na lol)

for me the thing that annoys me about fishing is that i see it as a material harvesting activity, every other material harvest you hit the interact button to harvest the node, then you get the loot after the animation plays

but to me fishing seems like its dividing the interact into actually 2 separate interact steps, one of which you have to actually pay attention to

i would love to do fishing while watching tv or a movie or something, but without the votans fisherman addon to alert me when to reel in, i would miss every fish, and even with the alert i still sometimes miss a fish, which at that point its just wasted time and bait

so since fishing has to be significantly worse than every other material harvest, i rarely bother doing it

It is painful for some to fish in this game, I know so don't do it and buy your roe if you want to get PA=>AA (this is extremely expensive).

If you use a pc you probably need the add-on, I use a PS4 and the controller in my hand buzzes when there's a bite, I haven't missed many fish. Plus the ergonomics of your game-room; I have two monitors one above the other, I can see baseball and ESO simultaneously, I have my pc on the desk and have something going on there too, I don't feel like I'm wasting time multitasking.

You're comparing fishing to resource nodes? You expect to go to a hole and just pluck fish out of the water? I look at real life: you pluck plants yes, you use a pick to pound out ore yes, all takes time too (Master Gatherer helps tremendously) and in real-life when you fish you use a pole (not always a bobber) where the time between bites is extremely random at a real fishing hole and can take hours to catch the same amount of fish you do in ESO (unless you're fishing for school-fish like crappie); I think the implementation of fishing in ESO is about as good as you can get in a video game. I've fished in other games and nothing compares.
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    The Coelacanth was the very last fish I caught. The relief instantly wiped my memory, so I really don’t remember where I caught it.

I finally caught the COELACANTH in one of the 2 foul fishing holes within the Hatching Pools, the one to the northeast. Where you catch the rare fish seems to make a difference, this happened to me in Northern Elsweyr when I was stuck on the Moon-Sugar Shrimp and a poster pointed me to the little pond west of the Defense Force Outpost, both moons were out and it was early evening. I thought it was all RNG and all that mattered is that you were fishing the right type of hole with the right bait; whether that is true or not is still in question but the evidence is hard to ignore. Evidence that it does matter where you fish for a certain trophy and certain fish are caught in specific holes, not just any hole.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is painful for some to fish in this game, I know so don't do it and buy your roe if you want to get PA=>AA (this is extremely expensive).

If you use a pc you probably need the add-on, I use a PS4 and the controller in my hand buzzes when there's a bite, I haven't missed many fish. Plus the ergonomics of your game-room; I have two monitors one above the other, I can see baseball and ESO simultaneously, I have my pc on the desk and have something going on there too, I don't feel like I'm wasting time multitasking.

You're comparing fishing to resource nodes? You expect to go to a hole and just pluck fish out of the water? I look at real life: you pluck plants yes, you use a pick to pound out ore yes, all takes time too (Master Gatherer helps tremendously) and in real-life when you fish you use a pole (not always a bobber) where the time between bites is extremely random at a real fishing hole and can take hours to catch the same amount of fish you do in ESO (unless you're fishing for school-fish like crappie); I think the implementation of fishing in ESO is about as good as you can get in a video game. I've fished in other games and nothing compares.

i wouldnt say its painful, more just really annoying

i understand the immersion perspective but to me that just brings in an extra level of annoyance, pretty much every game that has fishing feels like it has to do this

and yes i am straight up comparing fishing to harvesting other resource nodes, you go to a point and interact with it, but you dont have to play some dumb mini game to harvest other nodes

you dont have to play a minigame to carve out rune nodes, you dont play a minigame to time chopping wood or mining, so why does fishing have to be any different? from my perspective its inconsistent and a massive annoyance which is why i dont do it

i dont buy roe either because i have no use for it, i have some provisioning master writs, but i dont buy mats like every if i can avoid it, and as i mentioned in an earlier post, i havent needed to craft ambrosia in years for actual xp because i have hundreds of xp scrolls sitting in storage from daily logins

at this point the main reason for me to even fish at all is to finish the dlc zone trophy fish, but if fishing were you know made consistent with other resource nodes then maybe i would start fishing more or at least hitting the fishing holes as im passing instead of straight up ignoring them like i do now
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
  • Granden_Woodleafson
    Annoying can be painful. Annoying is something you have to put up with; you can ignore it, nothing is forcing you to do it. Many love it as I do, nothing in your argumenta has swayed me otherwise.

Do you fish in meat-space? Probably not.

Re-read what I wrote about nodes above. You can't compare it to other resource nodes, it's not a node: it's catching live, living creatures called fish with a special tool and without destroying the environment. Dynamite anyone?

Fishing is different because fishing is different.

I have use for it, so that's all that matters, I'm the OP.

The reason for fishing is already explained above by several posters and myself, I'm not going to try to convince you, I really don't care, I love fishing in ESO! And always will :-) I hav to say to you, you're talking in circles