The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Detection skills need more range

Traxxar
Traxxar
✭✭
Been playing a lot of IC and Cyrodiil during the event and the detection skill range such as mage light, revealing flare etc. is far too small.
Even with mage light up nearly 100% our team got sneak bombed so many times it just didn't seem worth to have it up. Those 8m don't allow for any reaction time in a group and don't deter anything.
I hope the same range as with the new detect potion range is implemented.
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah, that much range with a skill you can spam is too much. Drink those pots and use the skill when you are hunting someone down.
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with this but it should not be increased too far.

But something like the 6m radius of Camo Hunter is functionally useless. And the skill costs 4k Stam to cast so it is not exactly cheap. Inner Light is also quite expensive for what it does.

Bumping up the radii to something like 8m and 16m for the short- and longer-ranged morphs would be appropriate. Especially with the increase to melee range in the coming patch. Previously, the short-morph detection radius was longer than melee range but now it is actually 1m shorter! So a bump up to 8m would put it back at where it was before the patch, at 1m longer than melee range.
    Edited by YandereGirlfriend on May 23, 2023 10:08PM
  • Zastrix
    Zastrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    But something like the 6m radius of Camo Hunter is functionally useless.

I thought it was 8m, in that case yes. I also forgot about the malee range increase so maybe even 12m?
    110-114k Stage 4 Vamprie Magblade u39
    Aldmeri Dominion did nothing wrong in Shadowfen.
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    detect pots are having their range extended.
    At least 3 of each class. PVPing Since IC.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But something like the 6m radius of Camo Hunter is functionally useless. And the skill costs 4k Stam to cast so it is not exactly cheap. Inner Light is also quite expensive for what it does.

Bumping up the radii to something like 8m and 16m for the short- and longer-ranged morphs would be appropriate. Especially with the increase to melee range in the coming patch. Previously, the short-morph detection radius was longer than melee range but now it is actually 1m shorter! So a bump up to 8m would put it back at where it was before the patch, at 1m longer than melee range.

I'd completely forgotten about the increased melee range, yeah this is a significant balance problem that we'd appreciate if you could escalate with the team @ZOS_Kevin. Once melee range has been extended these skills will lose even more of their already marginal efficacy. I know that detect pots are being buffed - and that's a good change but this is another case where balance has inadvertently shifted and should be corrected before it compounds.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Get your facts straight. Camo is same as Magelight 8 and 12m depending on morph.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Traxxar wrote: »
    Been playing a lot of IC and Cyrodiil during the event and the detection skill range such as mage light, revealing flare etc. is far too small.
    Even with mage light up nearly 100% our team got sneak bombed so many times it just didn't seem worth to have it up. Those 8m don't allow for any reaction time in a group and don't deter anything.
    I hope the same range as with the new detect potion range is implemented.

Am I supposed to feel symphony for a ball group being countered by a bomber, whose primary purpose in the first place is to counter ball groups?
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "detection" skills are worse at revealing enemies than a direct damage AoE like Impulse/Drain Essence etc. On top of that, they're much more expensive to use.

The exception being flare, which has its uses and a nice passive bonus.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The "detection" skills are worse at revealing enemies than a direct damage AoE like Impulse/Drain Essence etc. On top of that, they're much more expensive to use.

The exception being flare, which has its uses and a nice passive bonus.

I play NB bomber and I can say you're right.

Edited by Xarc on May 24, 2023 8:19AM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Detect pots are to be 43 after update i believe. True, it does need to at LEAST reach the range of snipe.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Detection is not how you defend against being bombed. Don't stack too tightly. Block while standing on a flag. Use Magelight / Camou / Flare as a deterrent, but don't expect miracles. Always move. Always buff. Spam some AOE. Perhaps wear Sea Serpent or the new mythic that auto-blocks while your stam is above 50%.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB