The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

End of the world plots

• AndreNoir
    AndreNoir
    ✭✭✭
    I would have liked more (or even mostly) plots not turning into another end of the world prevention.
    I find Thief guild story and characters are still unmatched. As side effect it's strange that there is no more guilds content after original game
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would have liked more (or even mostly) plots not turning into another end of the world prevention.
    I still remember some minutiae from the plot of Orsinium, which I last played on late 2015 / early 2016.
    I have trouble telling parts of High Isle apart from the other generic End of the World expansions, and I completed that one less than 6 months ago.

End of the World arcs are not necessarily bad, I loved the ending parts of the Daedric Wars arc, but... pretty much all other examples have been quite generic and forgettable.
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I don't have any issue with the world-ending plots. Frankly, after so MANY world-ending plots, if the devs DID center a zone around something smaller, it'd be kind of a letdown. It's like, I've fought off multiple daedric princes to save Nirn as we know it, but I should start biting my fingernails over some relatively local gangster or something? Why would any plot that wasn't world-ending in scale even be a blip on my character's radar?
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like that 2E583 (or at least 2E58x) is when everything collides, crashes and burns.
    I think it makes sense lorewise that everything crashes everywhere at the same time, given the ruby throne is vacant and the shroud between mundus and oblivion gone. I also enjoy most of them.

Nonetheless I would also like to get more slow-paced, regional (like orsinium) or faction (like thieves guild) centered storylines in between. Both of them were a blast in my opinion and I wanna have more of them.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    For me, I don't have any issue with the world-ending plots. Frankly, after so MANY world-ending plots, if the devs DID center a zone around something smaller, it'd be kind of a letdown. It's like, I've fought off multiple daedric princes to save Nirn as we know it, but I should start biting my fingernails over some relatively local gangster or something? Why would any plot that wasn't world-ending in scale even be a blip on my character's radar?

Emotional engagement. Smaller stories often matter more IF the writing manages to give you an emotional link to the characters. If the world is going to end and you don't give a frig about anyone in it (or, indeed, would really quite like the characters to die) you get, well, Greymoor and Blackwood. (I do, incidentally, wonder if, somewhere along the way, ZOS have lost sight of the fact that characters without flaws aren't endearing, but boring and often immensely irritating, see Princess Svana, most of the cast of Blackwood, and, sorry, both Sai Sahan and Lyris Titanborn. I'm not sure how they got from Thieves Guild, which oozes that understanding from its every pore, to what came later on.)

Part of the issue with all world ending plots in ESO is that you know the world WON'T end. And so you know the ending is going to be a neatly returning to normal utter letdown the moment you start the story. Because you're not going to kill the Daedric prince if applicable because they can't be killed... And because the baddie can't win since the game has to return next year... And because this is a game focused on combat rather than story choices so the only way you'll get there will be through a moderately silly showdown between the player and the big bad that lasts five minutes.

It's pretty hard to do nuanced and thoughtful when the ending has to be "world is about to end and then doesn't".
    Edited by Northwold on May 21, 2023 7:29PM
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these world ending plots happening everywhere at the same time feels kinda 40k grim dark and the Vestiges are the Space Marines :D *jk*
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!