Which is your favorite companion?

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    So far he is the best tank for me, Isobel is still level 13 and dies a lot where Bastion does not, like World Bosses.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Every time Ember looks at me with that smile and says "Hey you!", my cold lonely heart writhe's in the pain of what companionship must feel.
    Edited by ArchMikem on May 18, 2023 6:51PM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • BenTSG
    BenTSG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    As of right now, Ember. That little goofball's chipper attitude is always nice. And she's also a Khajiit.

As of Necrom release though, that'll probably shift to Sharp. I *adore* Brandon Keeners voice acting, been loving it since I first heard it in Mass Effect! Also the fact that Sharp is Argonian as well. Beast Races best races!
    Options
  • Jarndyce
    Jarndyce
    ✭✭✭
    I can't decide!
    "I am sworn to carry your burdens!"

Miss Lydia.

On Topic; I like them all equally. Its situational.
    Options
  • kyatos_binarini
    kyatos_binarini
    ✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Bastian:
    1. I like imperials
    2. I like male characters
    3. The only use i can see in companions is tanking and Bastian is a good tank (can handle most veteran non DLC hardmodes)
    4. I like his haircut. But sometimes i want to change it since my character have the same
    5. I don't like cheese (but like cheesecake)
    Options
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I like the companion concept and they all have roles in my gameplay. Using Mirria as a healer, Bastian a a 2-H berserker, Isobel as a tank and Ember brings the lightning.

I have however set their dialogue to minimal as they have too few lines and companion vocalization becomes very repetitive.

Ember is still my most enjoyable companion to quest with.
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mirri
    Mirri's accent is adorable, her remarks, especially when I steal, are either pleasant or funny and I pretty much cut her some slack on that possibly passive-aggressive comment she says after we finish a fight. She's a scholar who, like me, is fascinated by Dwemer and Clockwork stuff and she loves a good book. Her comments when I'm harvesting aren't annoying, so no "magicky" or "this is a great area for harvesting", though I nearly always roll my eyes when she exclaims "you don't come by those too often" after I find the 10th rekuta of the day.

I like Bastian, but I prefer to leave him at home, such as shown below:
    af6ywisiqnch.jpg

I'm fascinated as to why we don't see Mirri in more senarios like this - surrounded by bugs perhaps. Plenty find her bug aversion a bit hard to bear and yet...nothing. Or Isobel trapped by daedric pets in a deadlands cage. After two years, I'm ready for a bit of variety.

Mirri isn't averse to bugs. She doesn't like it when you kill certain insects, hence her saying "If you're going to kill bugs, at least kill fetcherflies." I imagine she'd be delighted to be surrounded by torchbugs.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't decide!
    I can't decide because I haven't gotten a chance to run with Sharp or Azandar yet, except briefly on PTS. So far I like Sharp, so he'll probably be my primary companion, Azandar seems a bit weird so I'm not sure how much I'll be using him after I get him leveled.

Once Necrom drops and I can craft Telvanni Efficiency, Bastian will become my go-to Tank for World Bosses and soloing group dungeons, currently he was my DPS companion. Isobel will be moved over to DPS; she used to be my main Tank but will become a DPS. Mirri is my healer, so she gets brought in when I need to solo World Events or Dragons. Ember... ugh. There is something about her enthusiasm for killing people that really rubs me the wrong way... like total serial killer vibes. You kill someone and she says, "That was fun." Yikes.

A lot of it comes down to the class and character I'm running at the time. For my Templar characters, I feel Isobel makes a great companion because she's also a Templar. I like Bastian's personality and voice a lot, but, don't like him complaining when I accidentally kill a spider. Time will tell how well Sharp and Azandar fit into my builds. I have high hopes for Sharp because he doesn't seem to be bothered by much the player does... and his skills are pretty good too.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Ember

My least favorite is psuedo-Breton Bastian and because of him we probably won't get a proper Imperial companion :(
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
    Options
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Mirri's accent is adorable, her remarks, especially when I steal, are either pleasant or funny and I pretty much cut her some slack on that possibly passive-aggressive comment she says after we finish a fight. She's a scholar who, like me, is fascinated by Dwemer and Clockwork stuff and she loves a good book. Her comments when I'm harvesting aren't annoying, so no "magicky" or "this is a great area for harvesting", though I nearly always roll my eyes when she exclaims "you don't come by those too often" after I find the 10th rekuta of the day.

af6ywisiqnch.jpg

I'm fascinated as to why we don't see Mirri in more senarios like this - surrounded by bugs perhaps. Plenty find her bug aversion a bit hard to bear and yet...nothing. Or Isobel trapped by daedric pets in a deadlands cage. After two years, I'm ready for a bit of variety.

Mirri isn't averse to bugs. She doesn't like it when you kill certain insects, hence her saying "If you're going to kill bugs, at least kill fetcherflies." I imagine she'd be delighted to be surrounded by torchbugs.

Bastian isn't afraid of cheese either he's just lactose intolerant and...yet. I once saw a post here where someone used real actual money in order to create a scene to 'scare' Bastian with cheese and...I had some questions there.

Doing something like that with Mirri, Isobel or Ember would be equally silly but I'd rather see ten dozen on those than yet another cheese one.

It makes being on the forum feel like the equivalent of being stuck at a party with an old boy who turns up to every party and busts out that one joke from 1975 that once got raptuous applause....in 1975. Oh, one or two of his mates might laugh, he's not a bad guy but everyone is wishing he'd tell another joke. Not that this is you personally but the point of this analogy is: a decent amount of us are a bit tired of seeing the same joke on companion threads. The forum jokers need to up their game.

Edited by Treselegant on May 19, 2023 11:53AM
    Options
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    I mostly use Ember tactically, but since the question is who's the favorite, it's Isobel. Frankly, the other three (I am not using PTS, don't like to spoil stuff for myself) have borderline intolerable personalities.
    Options
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    Shocked how poor Mirri is doing at the time of this post. I felt like at release all I saw was a sea of Mirris.
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mirri

af6ywisiqnch.jpg

Bastian isn't afraid of cheese either he's just lactose intolerant and...yet. I once saw a post here where someone used real actual money in order to create a scene to 'scare' Bastian with cheese and...I had some questions there.

Doing something like that with Mirri, Isobel or Ember would be equally silly but I'd rather see ten dozen on those than yet another cheese one.

It makes being on the forum feel like the equivalent of being stuck at a party with an old boy who turns up to every party and busts out that one joke from 1975 that once got raptuous applause....in 1975. Oh, one or two of his mates might laugh, he's not a bad guy but everyone is wishing he'd tell another joke. Not that this is you personally but the point of this analogy is: a decent amount of us are a bit tired of seeing the same joke on companion threads. The forum jokers need to up their game.

The issue with Bastian isn't that he's lactose intolerant, but that you lose rapport with him when you cook with cheese. Many people find that rather absurd, myself included. Also, I do poke fun at Mirri's adored torchbugs and Ember's insufferable "magicky" comments. I cut Isobel's taste for sweets some slack because, well, she's human and so am I.
    Options
  • YetAnotherLinuxUser
    YetAnotherLinuxUser
    ✭✭✭✭
    None suits me but I can assert that Isabel likes me more than salt water taffy
    Edited by YetAnotherLinuxUser on May 19, 2023 8:39PM
    Options
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian

af6ywisiqnch.jpg

The issue with Bastian isn't that he's lactose intolerant, but that you lose rapport with him when you cook with cheese. Many people find that rather absurd, myself included. Also, I do poke fun at Mirri's adored torchbugs and Ember's insufferable "magicky" comments. I cut Isobel's taste for sweets some slack because, well, she's human and so am I.

It's no more absurd than Mirri and bugs or Ember's 'Magicky' comments - so where's their 'torture' furnishings in companion threads? It's boring seeing the same thing over and over. That's all I'm saying. Everyone gets tired of hearing the same joke told multiple times over the course of years. Especially when it wasn't exactly rip roaring to start with. It's been done to death.

edit to clarify - it's not every companion thread you see the "Bastian surrounded by cheese in a cage or other such restrictive furnishing" but it's been often enough to recognise it as a thing. To the frequency of the cheese joke you only need to search "Bastian" and "cheese" on the forum to get a good idea how overdone it is.

Edited by Treselegant on May 20, 2023 1:20AM
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian
    AScarlato wrote: »
    Shocked how poor Mirri is doing at the time of this post. I felt like at release all I saw was a sea of Mirris.

Mirri was the more popular of the two when Blackwood released by a pretty significant margin, iirc even one the devs said so in some interview. But, once High Isle dropped a lot of the people who preferred Mirri switched over to preferring Isobel or Ember (mostly Ember). I think the people who preferred Bastian mostly continued to still prefer Bastian. I think part of it is gender as he's the only male. But part of it is the attitudes towards stealing.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bastian

af6ywisiqnch.jpg

If someone kept calling me up to help cook or try food that I was allergic to, I would be annoyed too. The implication when a player summons a companion while cooking is that the player is involving them, either trying to get them to try it or having try it. Mirri actually thanks you having a drink with her if you make an alcoholic drink with her out. So Bastian is annoyed the player is asking him to eat cheese because he's lactose intolerant.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on May 19, 2023 8:49PM
    Options
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mirri

af6ywisiqnch.jpg

It's no more absurd than Mirri and bugs or Embers Magicky comments - so where's their 'torture' furnishings in every companion thread? It's boring seeing the same thing, over and over and over. That's all I'm saying. Everyone get's tired of hearing the same joke told multiple times over the course of years. Especially when it wasn't exactly rip roaring to start with. It's been done to death.

And what I'm saying is that I joke about the other companions as well. It's just that this time it was Bastian's turn. Besides, I haven't seen "torture" furnishings in other companion threads.
    Options
  • Gunner19K
    Gunner19K
    I was not familiar with Isabelle until recently when my wife was showing some updates to her house. I saw an NPC walking away with a strange sort of swagger in its gait and I asked which merchant it was. When informed it was the companion Isabelle, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of "ambulating finesse," and I'll leave it at that.
    Options
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirri
    My daily dose of dark coffee!

Marry me my Mirri!
    Options
  • FayJolyn
    FayJolyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't decide!
    Character wise I absolutely adore the new one Sharp-as-Knight, Ember is close second, even though her perkiness can become tiresome sometimes.

Bastian is the most useful as he's super sturdy and can survive most things I sign him up for.
    Zha'ishii - Kahjiit nightblade (main) PC-EU
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Ember doesn't get upset if I grab a butterfly, or head into a thieves refuge, or look in a trove, or craft something with cheese.

However, if I have to sneak around in a place where I should not be, I send her away.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Daoin
    Daoin
    ✭✭✭
    Mirri
    Mirri
    Options
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Finedaible wrote: »

However, I haven't used Ember much at all because I heard her permanent boon is an overall nerf to your account for pickpocketing. So until that matter is cleared up I likely won't bother at all.

That's not correct. You get an extra 4th pickpocket if you get a wallet. It's like Pacrooti giving you an extra card.
    Options
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    joergino wrote: »
    Actually, it doesn't matter at all if you want to max out all your companions' skill lines. At least in my experience this takes almost exactly half a year per companion.
    So the new chapter with yet another pair of companions to level up is imminent and Ember still has two and a half weapon skill lines and the last armor skill line left to level - only to never ever be summoned again afterwards because of the new companions. :( The leveling consumes way too much time.

The devs said in Necrom, leveling up companions is way faster.
    Options
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    I HATE the housing outfit they put on Isobel. It's hideous! And it doesn't match my furnishings palette like Mirri and Bastian. Why is it so freaking bright blue! It ruins the entire look of a room. And she looks like a quarterback. How disappointing.

In gameplay, I use all 4 depending on what I am doing. I use Ember the most though just because I like her company.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Bastian and Mirri are the only ones that feel like people to me. Imperfect, interesting characters with decently written backgrounds. I use Bastian pretty much exclusively but if I had to pick a second companion I'd go with Mirri (even if her snarky, bolshy personality isn't really to my taste).
    With Isobel I maxed rapport and did her whole quest, but the more I travelled with her, the less I liked her, and now that rapport is maxed I don't take her with me anymore. Both High Isle companions have this overenthusiastic, teenag-y, thoughless and fangirly streak. But with Ember her backstory and some of her comments managed to mitigate that quite well. Isobel's story was more about her friend than her, and didn't do much to recommend her to me.

This was also my experience with Isobel. I tried to push aside my feeling that there was an element of fan service in the choice of VA and tried to assess her on her own merits. I did her quests, levelled her to max and then I put her away never to bring her out again. Her characterisation is very odd and I didn't like her quests. I could cope with Ember for short periods and her quests were pretty good. Both came across as very young - I felt like I was babysitting and that's not really what I'm looking for in a companion.

Yeah... Isobel is my favorite but I definitely feel this about her. When she was very first announced I was expecting/hoping her to have a more mature vibe and, even if inexperienced, to be a lot less meek. I still like her especially for the normal lesbian representation, but Bastian and Mirri are very close behind her because their personalities are a lot more appealing because of this. For me Bastian has the best personality but I hate his kit sadly.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    Ember lets me have sticky fingers.

The others disagree with my fluid view of property rights
    Edited by Nestor on May 28, 2023 12:45AM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ember is now banned from coming with me on my light-fingered pursuits.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
    Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Isobel
    Yesterday I finished main quest on another alt with Isobel and the minimal comments setting fails hard when interacting with npcs like Lyris Titanborn and Lyranth, a comment every single time gets annoyingly repetitive.
    Options