The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Wamasu Random Charge

TKo_ROUSE
TKo_ROUSE
✭✭✭✭
I want to talk about this change for boss 1 on vSE HM. We have been working on vSE HM 3 times a week since the beginning of PTS. We consistently were clearing first 2 bosses without wipes. We weren't anywhere near deathless but with some res parsing we could power through. These are all 6 or 7 trial trifecta players a very experienced group.

I just want to start by saying RNG mechanics are NOT fun. In hard mode wamasu charges one shot every one including tanks. You need to either roll dodge it or be out of its path. Pre patch once wamasu was in group it would just charge the tank that had taunt. So outside the first charge it did not pose a significant threat. So I am assuming they must have thought this was too easy. The issue is how they changed it adds way too much RNG to the run.

Let me list some reasons this makes the fight not fun (because it can charge anyone):
1. It can charge people with tomb. In hard mode you want to try to stay on edge of hots as the healer has about 5 seconds to get you out of it. So you might catch yourself roll dodging last second to avoid charge and end up tombing someone else with you or killing your healer.
2. It can charge the healer healing tombs, doubly annoying when the healer has two tombs as they still only have that 5 seconds.
3. Portal DPS can get hit by a charge when the add decides to go randomly flying through the room.
4. The wind up time is very short its like 2 seconds. You in general don't get much time to react or adapt. vRG Oax has like 3 times the wind up before he charges for example.
5. The charge being an add mechanic can just happen no matter what the boss is doing. Oax can charge yes but not when he is stomping or summoning a mini, etc. So here you get boss throwing bombs doing her big aoe while the charge is happening. It just becomes a bunch of cluttered AoE's on the screen.
6. Space can be very limited in execute once she has more fire bombs active. The fire debuff is insane and can drop dps like flies if they accidentally pick it up. Not really an option to go running through those at current damage taken rates.

Suggestions:
1. Make only first charge random.
2. Make the charge mitigable by block so we can maybe survive it if not taking other damage.
3. Give us control of the situation. Make it more like oax. If it targets the furthest person we can maybe position it a little better.
4. Give it a longer windup time for sure or make charges happen less frequently then they currently are.
5. Give a nice clear indicator of who has the charge so they can attempt to cancel it.

OR:
6. Put it back the way it was? I don't think anything was broke so why do we need to fix it. Honestly i thought it was a pretty good boss fight. You had a slower safer strat in killing wamasu's. Doing portals, cutting back damage to not push shrapnel until the group is ready. Now the longer adds are alive the more charges we get the more likely people are to die. It just is making this boss safer to do speed strats. Which definitely isn't helping non top end groups. I am not sure on what ZOS collects for data on this. I am assuming they get completion rates and what not and maybe thought the fight was too easy. But I would also consider most groups doing HM on pts are score pushers or trifecta teams getting a head start as they have everything already in game. I would reckon most hard mode teams would struggle to clear the first boss in general before these changes came this week.

I only talked about HM here but I am sure these changes make all difficulties harder as well.Although i dont think they one shot in Veteran it can still knock people into other aoe's or overlap just the same way we see in hard mode.