Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Framerate Issues

starkerealm
starkerealm
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone else been noticing erratic framerate issues on the PTS?

On live, right now, I can reliably peg at 60 with my current settings, but on the PTS it frequently (but erratically) drops into the low 40s or high 30s. This happens regardless of the selected graphical settings, and seems to occur more often when moving (though it might just be more visibility while moving.)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My live FPS is around 160-200 with no shadows and low water detail. My PTS is 100 FPS because I left it with the default cap, all settings are maxed out and ray tracing which I don't do on live because no shadows. I am getting a weird flicker with DLAA when I pan my camera around though, it goes away when nothing is moving.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, we have ray tracing?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Sorry, that was World of Warcraft. I thought I saw it...
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on April 30, 2023 11:47PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find a setting for that anywhere, and the lighting I'm seeing on live is not raytraced.
  • Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    My GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT and it only has one limit which is rendering Ray Tracing. I didn't know ESO had it either but I would not turn it on anyways as I would lose about 20 FPS. I have 2 other games that I know have Ray Tracing and when I turn it on in both of them I lose about 20 FPS. Still very playable just not quite as fluid and smooth. My monitor won't allow more than 60 FPS when vertical sync is on as it is an older HDTV but it is just fine with me as some of my games go bananas when the framerate goes higher than 60. Skyrim LE or Oldrim as some call it is a prime example.
    Edited by Dovahkiin02191973 on April 30, 2023 10:33PM
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ray-tracing is a DX12 feature and ESO is built on DX11.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ray-tracing is a DX12 feature and ESO is built on DX11.

Agreed.
    ESO doesn't have RT.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim LE or Oldrim as some call it is a prime example.

Because Skyrim (and Bethesda's entire Gamebyro fork) ties its physics rendering to the framerate. Which causes all kinds of wierdness when it gets above 60fps.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim LE or Oldrim as some call it is a prime example.

Because Skyrim (and Bethesda's entire Gamebyro fork) ties its physics rendering to the framerate. Which causes all kinds of wierdness when it gets above 60fps.

This ^

Fallout 4 has the same problem and needs a mod to fix it.

• Dovahkiin02191973
    Dovahkiin02191973
    ✭✭✭
    That does make sense why for example water in the game is bouncing up and down when Oldrim gets higher than 60. Its a physics problem and being that ESO is DX11 it will not support RT as it would need DX12 to do so. The games I have that do are Elden Ring and The Witcher 3. My GPU will render RT it just doesn't do it very well. I appreciate these insights and explainations. Thanks.
    Edited by Dovahkiin02191973 on May 1, 2023 12:25AM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Sorry, that was World of Warcraft. I thought I saw it...

Okay, yeah, no worries. ESO doesn't support ray tracing (yet.) I know Rich gets really excited about it, and if he can get Matt to sign off on a DX12 build, I'm sure we'd see it, but we don't currently have the option.
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The more arcanists shield I cast the less frames my teammates get. Infinite power over other people frames [insert Palpatin here]!