Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ragebound Crates

• Liguar
    Liguar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way to avoid disappointment with such mechanics is to calculate how much you must invest for an almost guaranteed chance to get what you want.

Or... don't buy them at all.

It would be nice if loot boxes disappeared entirely from games, but it won't happen as long as enough people buy them.

I am aware that some people have issues with impulse control or addiction, but I'm fairly certain that there are also lot of people that buy them for other reasons that would be moot if the contents were available directly for crowns.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you earn gold to spend on crown trades, so you aren't out any money

Or use Endeavors wisely. I saved up 25,000 endeavors and bought my Stamcro the green Wella mount.

It’s awesome, except for the dumb spider legs coming out of your back.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is no scam, it is gambling.
    As someone else wrote: "the house always wins".

The only way to avoid disappointment with such mechanics is to calculate how much you must invest for an almost guaranteed chance to get what you want.

You will get approx 100 gems per 10-15 crates from turning in unwanted stuff like potions for gems.

So if you want the new harness for 400 gems (an insane price imho, so I refuse to buy it), you need 40-60 crates.
    This would be twice the new 25 crates pack, so 16.000 crowns, so you will pay maybe 60-100 Euro/US$ for this harness depending on when you buy the crowns.
    My take on the "crate" loot box system is similar. I figured out that the best way to take advatage of this is to just look at some kind of eso wiki that has all the content of all crates, see which crate has the most stuff you like and basically "main" only one type of crate. So if it is on sale, you buy it and get for the most part the stuff you want, but after a while you will be basically buying only gems in a large numbers - as duplicates of things you already own are converted to gems. I always considered "hunting" for one specific item in a crown crate to be pointless. If a crate has only one thing I am interested in, I tend to save gems/endeavors for such occasions.
    ...Also... the gem /endeavors prices for the best rewards are a joke on its own lol :joy:
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 31, 2023 1:27PM
  • Pepegrillos
    Pepegrillos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep all this in sight the next time you see them talk about #ESOFAM and all the market talk that appeals to familiarity and loyalty. You don't do this kind of stuff to family.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good thing I have the option of buying these crates with gold through gifting instead of spending $65 real money. Oh wait.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for gamblers.

Some people are more vulnerable towards addictions because how they are wired. Just because it's easy for you (and me) doesn't mean everyone can resist the temptation.

Too true. And they need to be protected.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    Pure RNG, so no guarantee on drops and at the top of it, it's optional, so nobody is forced to it: We know in advance that we will maybe get nothing of what we hope for. If we take the decision to go for the crates although this known risk, it's alone our responsibility.

Also don't forget: Not everybody as the same preferences for the drops. Something decent for one, isn't for another. I had the case once to moan about what I got and a friend was jealous as it's exactly what he wanted... :D

All that to say: I can understand the frustration, but that's the essence of a RNG game. The only complain we can have is against self for taking the decision to RNG... :/

There is something sinister about these crates specifically. I've watched streamers not get a 400+ gems worth of item either. [snip]

I've got one apex mount and the Welkynar style book amongst lots of stuff worth 40 and 16 gems. Nothing sinister about it.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 31, 2023 2:44PM
  • Maythor
    Maythor
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me it's the increasingly common problems with drops and loot tables (from leads to monster helm pages etc) along with the way that event drops are organised, that erodes my trust in the RNG machine behind the curtains!
  • ZOS_Kraken
    ZOS_Kraken
    admin
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    It's gambling. What did you expect?

Also, the probability of that is definitely not zero.

Also also, yes we should be able to buy everything without having to resort to crates. I will never buy a crate.

What ZOS is doing is feeding into their player base's addiction risks. How anyone can look themselves in the mirror, knowing that they wreck people's sanity is beyond my understanding.

Never ask that of the monetisation department in any MMO. I'm pretty sure they can't sleep at night if they didn't siphon off someone's life savings this month.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've opened 105 of the Ragebound crates and I didn't get A SINGLE 400 GEMS WORTH ITEM!!! The probability of that is ZERO! [snip] It's time you change the crown store and ALLOW US TO BUY THE ITEM WE WANT!!! Endeavour points aren't enough because they take ages to amass. Also, LET US FEEL LIKE OUR MONEY IS BEING WELL SPENT!!! :#

[edited for bashing]

The important point is that 105 Crown Crates were purchased, I think. :neutral:
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • XSTRONG
    XSTRONG
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've opened 105 of the Ragebound crates and I didn't get A SINGLE 400 GEMS WORTH ITEM!!! The probability of that is ZERO! [snip] It's time you change the crown store and ALLOW US TO BUY THE ITEM WE WANT!!! Endeavour points aren't enough because they take ages to amass. Also, LET US FEEL LIKE OUR MONEY IS BEING WELL SPENT!!! :#

[edited for bashing]

I would guess this game ESO is making most of its income from Crown sales and second is Eso+. Both are optional, they are not making you buy Crowns or buy Eso+ you can play the game with or without crowns.

If people think its gambling with Crown crates you dont have to buy Crowns and you can still play the game.

If you had 1 company and are selling item A and B, most of your company income comes from selling item A would you stop selling it? Most people would not.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Groterdan wrote: »
    I bought the 8000 crowns pack. 25 crates . Only crap aswel not a single decent item.
    Last time I did this

i got the pack too, but purely for the polymorph, the crown crates were fluff and i already knew those were going to be garbage lol

out of the 25 crates i had so many dupes or trash i made around 170 crown gems
    This is why you earn gold to spend on crown trades, so you aren't out any money

Or use Endeavors wisely. I saved up 25,000 endeavors and bought my Stamcro the green Wella mount.

It’s awesome, except for the dumb spider legs coming out of your back.

i actually bought that mount because of the spider legs lol, and those only cost 16000 seals (before spending i had about 29,000 seals saved up cause there wasnt anything in the stonelore crates i actually liked)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014

i have my main house (grand topal hideaway) listed in the housing tours, it has multiple target dummies, scribing altar, and grandmaster stations (in progress being filled out), as well as almost every antiquity furnishing on display to preview them

feel free to stop by and use the facilities
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seems a lot (if not all) people experienced a really bad RNG on the 25 crate bundle.

That is like the worst luck for vast majority it seems...
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i actually bought that mount because of the spider legs lol, and those only cost 16000 seals (before spending i had about 29,000 seals saved up cause there wasnt anything in the stonelore crates i actually liked)

Hey to each their own lol! No judgement, I don’t mind it.

Just wish it would fade away and let me enjoy the cool orcish-style armor.

Same about the stone lore, and actually the last 4 or 5 seasons haven’t done it for me (thankfully).
    Edited by HappyTheCamper on April 2, 2023 2:32AM
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gem bug aside, these crates feel rigged, never had such bad luck with any crate purchase before. I mean, I hate myself enough for buying the stuff, but let us at least get something out of it...
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only things I want are the two instrument emotes. I don't have enough gems for them.
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did the 8000 crate deal. I mostly just wanted the polymorph so wasn't going to be upset with what I got. Got 2x 400gem items but neither of them were things on my wish list so would be nice if you had the choice to cash in the gems on items you don't have but don't want but at least it was a better experience than many others.
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • Elrender
    Elrender
    ✭✭✭
    Its NOT the RNG. Its the same thing that was with Stonelore crates. VERY low chance on getting items expecially on this and Ragebound crates. And guess what? Stonelore and Ragebound crates were the only "new" cretes that ZOS added in last year. Every other crate was before.
    [snip]
    I bought all crates that were added from july 2022 to december 2022. 15-30 crates per type. And i ALWAYS get 1-2 400 gem mount, almost all stuff that comes below em and even some legendaries.

And i bought Stonelore crates, 90 (!!!) of them because i wanted that new bear mount (not 400 gem one). And what did i get from 90 crates? Only ONE 100 gem mount (!) and nothing more. Everything else were thrash items that worth less then 40 gems.
    [snip] I will never buy their new crates, maybe only old ones that will be added again from past years.
    [snip]
    [edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 2:25PM
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elrender wrote: »
    Its NOT the RNG. Its the same thing that was with Stonelore crates. VERY low chance on getting items expecially on this and Ragebound crates. And guess what? Stonelore and Ragebound crates were the only "new" cretes that ZOS added in last year. Every other crate was before.
    [snip]

You think im mad and its just conspiracy? Okay let me say.
    I bought all crates that were added from july 2022 to december 2022. 15-30 crates per type. And i ALWAYS get 1-2 400 gem mount, almost all stuff that comes below em and even some legendaries.

And i bought Stonelore crates, 90 (!!!) of them because i wanted that new bear mount (not 400 gem one). And what did i get from 90 crates? Only ONE 100 gem mount (!) and nothing more. Everything else were thrash items that worth less then 40 gems.
    [snip] I will never buy their new crates, maybe only old ones that will be added again from past years.
    [snip]

i got 2 apex mounts from Stonelore crates from less than 90 crates. it sadly is just rng.
    dont expect something guaranteed from crates as you're not guaranteed to get a specific item

also im confused why you said ragebound and stonelore were the only new crates added last year as ragebound got added in march 2023 and 2022 had 4 new crates like every past year except 2016.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 2:26PM
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Elrender
    Elrender
    ✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    Elrender wrote: »
    [snip]

You think im mad and its just conspiracy? Okay let me say.

[snip]

i got 2 apex mounts from Stonelore crates from less than 90 crates. it sadly is just rng.
    dont expect something guaranteed from crates as you're not guaranteed to get a specific item

also im confused why you said ragebound and stonelore were the only new crates added last year as ragebound got added in march 2023 and 2022 had 4 new crates like every past year except 2016.

what new crates were added in period from july 2022 to december 2022 exept stonelore? i mean only ones that werent in game before. I know only stonelore.
    I dont believe that its just rng. yes, its rng but with MUCH lower chances to get anything. I dont think that when you spending more money on crates then any AAA game costs and get literally nothing but thrash its fair. its not fair at all. [snip]

[edited for bashing & to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 11, 2023 2:27PM
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My experience with the new Ragebound crates was rather good.I bought 2 times the 15 crate bundle as I didn't want the polymorph, and got 5 or 6 100 gem items (I don't remember exactly) and one apex mount (the horse).
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.