Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Ragebound Crates

Quackery
Quackery
✭✭✭✭
I've opened 105 of the Ragebound crates and I didn't get A SINGLE 400 GEMS WORTH ITEM!!! The probability of that is ZERO! [snip] It's time you change the crown store and ALLOW US TO BUY THE ITEM WE WANT!!! Endeavour points aren't enough because they take ages to amass. Also, LET US FEEL LIKE OUR MONEY IS BEING WELL SPENT!!! :#

[edited for bashing]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 31, 2023 2:39PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gambling. What did you expect?

Also, the probability of that is definitely not zero.

Also also, yes we should be able to buy everything without having to resort to crates. I will never buy a crate.
  • Groterdan
    Groterdan
    ✭✭✭
    I bought the 8000 crowns pack. 25 crates . Only crap aswel not a single decent item.
    Last time I did this
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    It's gambling. What did you expect?

Also, the probability of that is definitely not zero.

Also also, yes we should be able to buy everything without having to resort to crates. I will never buy a crate.

What ZOS is doing is feeding into their player base's addiction risks. How anyone can look themselves in the mirror, knowing that they wreck people's sanity is beyond my understanding.
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I’ve been seeing a bunch of guild chats complaining that the new 8k Crown pack is giving nothing but garbage for them. Some were conspiracy theorying about it.

I haven’t bought it, so cannot speak from my own experience. But so far, seen a lot of complaints and no happy customers regarding it.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure RNG, so no guarantee on drops and at the top of it, it's optional, so nobody is forced to it: We know in advance that we will maybe get nothing of what we hope for. If we take the decision to go for the crates although this known risk, it's alone our responsibility.

Also don't forget: Not everybody as the same preferences for the drops. Something decent for one, isn't for another. I had the case once to moan about what I got and a friend was jealous as it's exactly what he wanted... :D

All that to say: I can understand the frustration, but that's the essence of a RNG game. The only complain we can have is against self for taking the decision to RNG... :/
    Edited by DreamyLu on March 31, 2023 3:33AM
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    Groterdan wrote: »
    I bought the 8000 crowns pack. 25 crates . Only crap aswel not a single decent item.
    Last time I did this

Me too. Was thinking about buying 21k crowns for crates at Anniversary Event but never again.
  • Quackery
    Quackery
    ✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    Pure RNG, so no guarantee on drops and at the top of it, it's optional, so nobody is forced to it: We know in advance that we will maybe get nothing of what we hope for. If we take the decision to go for the crates although this known risk, it's alone our responsibility.

Also don't forget: Not everybody as the same preferences for the drops. Something decent for one, isn't for another. I had the case once to moan about what I got and a friend was jealous as it's exactly what he wanted... :D

All that to say: I can understand the frustration, but that's the essence of a RNG game. The only complain we can have is against self for taking the decision to RNG... :/

There is something sinister about these crates specifically. I've watched streamers not get a 400+ gems worth of item either. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 31, 2023 2:40PM
  • Cazador
    Cazador
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is pure rng. No matter how many you buy you are never guaranteed to get a 400 gem item. It's no one's fault that random chance was not in your favor.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quackery wrote: »
    DreamyLu wrote: »

There is something sinister about these crates specifically. I've watched streamers not get a 400+ gems worth of item either. [snip]

I don't agree. It's just RNG and probability. A probability is what it's name says: probable only, not guaranteed. It's like with a coin. You can very well throw it 400 times in a row and get same side 400 times. You can't make any prediction: each event is independent from previous one. That's also the reason why it doesn't make any difference to open 400 crates in a row or 2 crates every day.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 31, 2023 2:41PM
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 2 types of random.
    True random - each item has same chance to appear.
    Bad random - each item has different chance to appear, like some item can have 10% drop chance, other may have only 1% or even less.
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they are named RAGEbound for a reason :#
    ;)

I have not purchased any yet bcuz I just didn't see anything in them worth rolling the dice on.

What DOES irk me is the ONE thing I would pay Crowns outright for is the Shade polymorph.
    But it seems to only be available as part of that bundle.
    It looks v cool but not enough that I want to drop 8000c on it.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks for impulsive buyers who can't control their spending habits. I only buy crowns during discount sales, usually 2 packs and generally lasts until the next time they come back up.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorry you had to find that out the hard way. I stopped wasting money on them years ago. But this predatory practice is widespread in the gaming industry unfortunately and won't stop as long as there are people willing to spend stupid amount of money on them as it is very profitable.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    But this predatory practice is widespread in the gaming industry unfortunately

Not really. Gambling boxes has been killed off in many games due to a lot of laws going against them. Most games are now preferring Battle Passes these days and have fully given up on gambling boxes (even if a few may still have them). I'm honestly surprise ZOS still actively does them.
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jusey1 wrote: »
    Snamyap wrote: »
    But this predatory practice is widespread in the gaming industry unfortunately

Not really. Gambling boxes has been killed off in many games due to a lot of laws going against them. Most games are now preferring Battle Passes these days and have fully given up on gambling boxes (even if a few may still have them). I'm honestly surprise ZOS still actively does them.

Don’t give them any ideas. Battle passes are worse than loot boxes
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The prices are insane. I was guilty of spending $1000 last year, but I have woken up.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what the odds are and looked it up and I pasted the support file below. When deciding whether or not to get crates, keep in mind that only one of the four draws is guaranteed not to be common.

From: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49828/~/what-are-the-odds-for-crown-crate-rewards-in-the-elder-scrolls-online?

WHAT ARE THE ODDS FOR CROWN CRATE REWARDS IN THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE?
    Updated 11/04/2022 03:35 PM
    When you open a purchased Crown Crate in The Elder Scrolls Online, you have a chance to receive items from several unique reward groups.

Below are listed the guidelines for Crown Crate reward groups and their percentage chances. Note: you are guaranteed at least four rewards per purchased Crown Crate.

Reward Groups | Percentage Chance
    Common Rewards | 98%
    Fine Rewards | 72%
    Superior Rewards | 86%
    Epic Rewards | 21%
    Legendary Rewards | 14%
    Apex Rewards | 2.0%

Note:
    You are guaranteed at least one Superior reward or better
    Some Crown Crates contain Radiant versions of Apex rewards
    Some Crown Crates contain rare rewards that have special qualities
    On some rewards, chances improve with each successive missed roll and resets once you receive the reward
    While we currently have no plans to change the odds, we reserve the right to update or modify information shown above at our discretion to reflect changes and/or evolving reporting standards
    You can purchase most rewards in the in-game Crown Store with Gems. You can acquire Gems by extracting them from unwanted Crown Crate rewards. This also happens automatically when you receive a Crown Crate Collectible you already own
    Crown Crates not available for purchase in some territories
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may try to calculate the probability chance on PTS. If nothing has changed, all the boxes there cost 1 crown.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    There are 2 types of random.
    True random - each item has same chance to appear.
    Bad random - each item has different chance to appear, like some item can have 10% drop chance, other may have only 1% or even less.
    Yes, drop chances for apex is around 2 % for any, and 0.30 % for an specific. For radiant apex its around 0.25% for any and 0.1-0.05 % for an specific.
    Data from
    https://www.crowncrates.com/ has the drop chance from an mod on pc.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I didn’t get anything great either in that 25 pack. It was mostly 16 gems or 40 gems, mostly the trash and 16 gems though.

As a comparison I also bought the 15 pack and got 2 400 gem items and a few 100 gem ones. Rest was trash.

So yeah something might be off with that pack.

EDIT- I never spend on crates, figured why not since I had some crowns… never again though. I’ll just continue to pile seals of endeavor to get stuff.
    Edited by OtarTheMad on March 31, 2023 7:06AM
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got any of the new crates, but in previous seasons I got the feeling my RNG was either really bad or they just moved the nice goodies to higher tiers because I rarely got stuff I liked.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you earn gold to spend on crown trades, so you aren't out any money
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Gadamlub14_ESO
    Gadamlub14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is why you earn gold to spend on crown trades, so you aren't out any money
    Except gifting crates and only crates has been “broken” due to a “bug” for a month.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    You may try to calculate the probability chance on PTS. If nothing has changed, all the boxes there cost 1 crown.

PTS doesn't offer Crown Crates. The only way try them out, is to make sure you have them in your inventory when they carry character data over. Since I don't play on PC-NA, I have about 200 crates from Twitch drops, pre-orders and Prime Gaming promotions on that server.

There is the Seals of Endeavor store on it, but it hasn't been updated since it was tested during Blackwood's PTS cycle, as it still offers Ayleid Crown Crate items for 1 SoE per each item.
    Edited by Maitsukas on March 31, 2023 9:25AM
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no sympathy for gamblers.

However, the RnG needs a look at. I mean ZOS has admitted at least that a lot of the antiquities leads drop chances were lower than intended.

Maybe something similar is happening here? 🤔
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think that bugged. Just 2% chance is really low chance, which means that average on 100 crates, you get 2 apex but it's still gambling so there is no guarantee. Average means that one player will get 4 apex on 100 crowns and another get 0 - on average they get 2. No matter how many crates you have, every each have seperate chances, so opening another don't give more chance to win - it's always 2% for apex, so 98% of each crate that will have something lesser than apex reward.

And in real life when you have 98% chance for failure you normally treat this as almost certain fail, because 2% chance is almost not a chance at all.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you decide to gamble, you should keep in mind that the house always wins.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have no sympathy for gamblers.

Some people are more vulnerable towards addictions because how they are wired. Just because it's easy for you (and me) doesn't mean everyone can resist the temptation.

• Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on where you are, you might look up how to contact your gambling regulator.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is no scam, it is gambling.
    As someone else wrote: "the house always wins".

The only way to avoid disappointment with such mechanics is to calculate how much you must invest for an almost guaranteed chance to get what you want.

You will get approx 100 gems per 10-15 crates from turning in unwanted stuff like potions for gems.

So if you want the new harness for 400 gems (an insane price imho, so I refuse to buy it), you need 40-60 crates.
    This would be twice the new 25 crates pack, so 16.000 crowns, so you will pay maybe 60-100 Euro/US$ for this harness depending on when you buy the crowns.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on March 31, 2023 11:42AM