The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do you dislike other DDs who do more damage than you?

ixthUA
ixthUA
✭✭✭✭✭
Trying a DD role, i noticed there are a lot of players who run ahead of me and kill MY mobs. On boss, before i finish laying down all of my 7 DoTs, boss is usually dead already. My damage statistic is usually around 20-25% compared to other DD, because they ran ahead and used instant damage abilities, while i use DoTs. And this is on top of a 5 min long queue for DD.
On the other hand, when the other DD is a lv15 with 40k life, i do 50%+ damage, feeling like a hero. For me its definitely better when the other DD is doing low damage.
After playing a healer for 2 years, i tried DD role to feel like i am doing something useful in a dungeon, but it seems that this role is taken by the other DD.

Do you dislike other DDs who do more damage than you? 80 votes

Yes
2% 2 votes
No
87% 70 votes
Other
10% 8 votes
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire point of a dungeon is to kill things. Ideally, to kill those things quickly.

If other players are killing things before you get down all of your Dot skills, that should be a indication that you need to tighten up your own rotation. Or, maybe use different skills for add pulls.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But isn't it fair to let other players kill something? I noticed other DDs thinking if they sprint ahead they can kill everything by themselves. Even healers run ahead to kill things, while they should stay back and keep overhealing, or doing whatever else that does not include killing things.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Khajiit feels the need to respectfully remind you that The Elder Scrolls Online is a multiplayer game, with other people who also like to feel like heroes as they play.

Perhaps you are looking for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (with or without Special Edition).

This may be found ----V one level down in your handy dandy Steam library.
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, if you are grouped in a dungeon the mobs are not yours are they? they are everyone's mobs, and you don't loose anything if they are killed by another group member except, of course, the feeling of participation which is important.

it sounds as if you are playing in a pug group, I prefer to play with some guild friends when I can as we play as a group whether its a fast run or a slow one.

perhaps that would suit you better?
  • Milchbart
    Milchbart
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you want to be a superhero just solo the dungeon - you will do 100 % of the damage ... or go with a compagnon but maybe he will do more damage than you ...
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When the ultra-DD's do their thing set out your lawn chair and enjoy the show.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • BaalMelqartu
    BaalMelqartu
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is an example of looking too much (in my opinion) at what other people are doing rather than enjoying your own character and building them how you would like.
    -If you're using your build's normal rotation in a random normal dungeon, you are always going to see things melted while you're busy laying down damage over time abilities. I think it would be more helpful for you to pick a second, very short rotation, just for trash mobs and such in normal dungeons.
    For instance:
    -Boss battle: lay down your DOTs, follow up with spammable, repeat or execute if you have an execute and it's time for it.
    -Trash mobs: lay an AOE and then go straight to spammable. Otherwise, everyone else will kill them before you get to your 2nd or 3rd DOT. You should also see your DPS go up on trash fights.
  • KlauthWarthog
    KlauthWarthog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Regarding the question on the topic's title: Nope. I compare my DPS today with my DPS last week, not with someone else's. I do keep tabs on how others are doing as benchmark, but my goal is to improve myself, not beat others.

Regarding the question on the topic's body: well, this is the usual people-rushing-ahead mindset that invaded random groups since they made the daily give 10 transmutes. I have no idea what ZoS can do to fix this, aside from nerfing the rewards, which they should not do.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the responses, it looks like the problem is with me, not the other DD who wants to kill all mobs by themselves. Looks unfair and unbalanced to me.
    I do not let my companion to DPS - their bar is filled with support (mostly healing) skills.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no i don't dislike damage dealers who deal more damage.
    yes i dislike people who rush dungeons and only care about themselves.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Agenericname
    Agenericname
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I see someone doing substantially more than I am, I tend to want to play with them. Maybe I can learn something from them.

I dont run normals, and often only do a vet random and the DLC. There arent many that rush ahead of the tank, so that isnt as big of an issue there. If it is a base game vet, then usually everything dies so fast that its not really worth comparing epeens.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If we're talking about group dungeons, then killing things faster as a group doesn't really bother me. In that case I appreciate someone whose damage is higher than mine, because it makes less work for me. I wouldn't consider any enemies to be "mine," because by definition we're here to kill stuff as a group.

The running ahead that you describe can be a problem if people are trying to do quests or not get mobbed to death, but I think that's a separate issue than simply someone doing higher DPS than someone else. I don't take my DPS personally, because I don't need to invent reasons to make myself feel bad. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • SpiritKitten
    SpiritKitten
    ✭✭✭✭
    How are the mobs 'yours'?
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    But isn't it fair to let other players kill something? I noticed other DDs thinking if they sprint ahead they can kill everything by themselves. Even healers run ahead to kill things, while they should stay back and keep overhealing, or doing whatever else that does not include killing things.

People rush in dungeons (especially stuff like random normal), because they just want to get the rewards as quickly as possible and most likely have already done the same dungeon like 20+ times before.

They dont rush because they want to feel superior to you (at least most dont i suppose).
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once i laid my eyes on a group of mobs, i consider them mine to kill. Same with resources in the world.
    I maxed gear collections for some dungeons, still i dont rush in them.
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember once in the past while running vet SunSpire, being one of the lower dps in my group, I had an unusually high % of the dps during one add pull. The rest of the group were mainly magicka dps, so their damage came from a long process of placing AOE's, while I simply defaulted to spamming arrow spray. Sometimes it comes down to knowing when you should just focus on using skills that do all their damage up front, because if a 10s dot is only going to be damaging for 2s, it really wasn't worth casting.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I should be doing 40-50% generally. If I’m doing less, I’m impressed with the other dps. If I’m doing a little more then okay. If I’m doing way more then the other dps is being carried and shouldn’t be in that content.
    How I feel about my own power has nothing to do with other people (except support buff/debuffs) and everything to do with how fast things die and oooh numbers go brrrr.

Edit: I’m talking vet anyways, seems like you’re talking about normal. In normal it doesn’t matter. If your dps is high enough try vet, sounds like your problems are with normal dungeons not with the other dps.
    Edited by Soarora on March 25, 2023 2:21PM
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fake tanks, fake healers, fake DDs, and now too powerful DDs. LOL. What's next, tanks that are too tanky? Healers that won't let me experience damage? It feels like we are reaching for problems.

DDs do damage. There is no such thing as too much damage.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The example presented seems more a complaint about someone who runs ahead and how fast a boss dies rather than comparing DPS.

Regardless, if someone is doing higher dps than I am then it is nothing to be upset about. It is just something to drive me to improve. I also do not feel strong because I out DPSed a new or lower level player.
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »

People rush in dungeons (especially stuff like random normal), because they just want to get the rewards as quickly as possible and most likely have already done the same dungeon like 20+ times before.

They dont rush because they want to feel superior to you (at least most dont i suppose).

^ this

And because we do that with many characters.
    So there's no point to waste 30min in a random normal dungeon when you can do it in < 5min...

I mean, this is a risk when you're launching a "random" dungeon / bg. You do not know what mates you'll get. This is also why you get more XP.

Edited by Xarc on March 27, 2023 4:14PM
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake tanks, fake healers, fake DDs, and now too powerful DDs. LOL. What's next, tanks that are too tanky? Healers that won't let me experience damage? It feels like we are reaching for problems.

If one DD kills everything, what is the other DD supposed to do?
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Run faster.
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always let tank go first, but other people often run ahead and pull everything.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

However quickly they are killing everything, it could be done in half the time with 2 DPS. Sure that may mean a boss dies in 10s instead of 20s, but that's still complete faster, more XP, gear, and transmutes. The entire reward system is set up to encourage players to do the easiest content as fast as possible. It could be better if random vets gave anything worthwhile.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on March 28, 2023 1:24AM
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In normal dungeons bosses often die within 10 seconds, before i even apply all of my DoTs. Same with delves/base game public dungeon bosses.
    So if i sprinted ahead like crazy, i could have reduced boss life time to 5 seconds.
    I am staying away from vet dungeons because the of queue wait time.
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If DDs make more damage then me, I'm grateful that they make the run faster.

Running ahead and pulling all around is not about damage but the teamplay. I dislike people who make a mess pulling before tank. I dislike people who just parse the boss instead of making some critical mechanic or resurecting people. Independently on how much dps they do.

On the opposite, I admire people who make mechanics faster then me. I try to check how they do it if possible: which cast they do first on mech mob, what order of action they choose. Dps on mechanics is not always about build, but about rotation choice and tricks. When somebody do it faster, it is not for liking or disliking them. It is for learning and doing better.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In normal dungeons bosses often die within 10 seconds, before i even apply all of my DoTs.
    If for you 10 seconds is not enough time to even apply all dots (and I assume that are not all of 10 skills are dots) then this is really slow. I don't judge or hate you for that, because everyone have right to own level of skill, but you can't expect that other dd will be avoid killing and stand there doing nothing when you are taking your time to kill things. First of all - they will for 99% don't even know that you expect from this, because most weaker players prefers to be carried out (tank and healer also don't like to stand forever and waiting for hours before weak dd's will kill boss, because it's boring). Most players plays randoms and want them fast as possible. Second thing - your attitude is very selfish, because you think is not fair that team adjust to your personal gameplay when this all about experience of all 4 people. You think that slowing down 3 people and making them bored just for personal feeling of hero is justice? Maybe you should earn that feeling by training your dd skill and not assume that you should have it for free, just for participation? This you can have in single players games. MMO's are different thing, because there you are not central character of all universe, but only one of many. And "not liking" people just for doing them role very good is not healthy, not only in game, but in life in general.

If you really want that experience in your way - just search for people in guilds or forum/discords and make premade group with people who will enjoy your style. PUGs will be PUGs - just take what they offer or leave it, this is the only way.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont think the problem is coming from players playing a game.
    It's coming from dev who made this possible.

@xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a former tank (used to play a tank, now I am exclusively solo-ing dungeons), I don't care what damage is done by what DPS, as long as it is decent.

Now, as a bonus I can share a couple of stories as to why I am no longer doing group content with a group:

- One time, some one had an addon that was showing who is doing what kind of dmg. Both DPS were total trash. I was a tank, so it was extremely tedious to tank that one boss for 30 min (a mini boss that should be killed within max 5 minutes). Now here is the worst part. Remember how I said that both DPS were trash and how they had an add-on showing who does what dmg ? Well, it turned out that me (a tank) was pulling the highest numbers (around 15K). So... of course it meant I was a "fake tank" and of course that meant I was kicked by 2 dps...

- The other story is kinda similar (as again it is about add-ons & numbers). I was a tank, but I had some healing skills on my backbar just in case. I saw one of the team mates with very low health and our healer was busy (boss mechanics etc). There was a time for it, so I casted a couple of healing abilities to save my team mate. Can you guess what happened after the fight ? Yep...
    "OMG, Our tank is a better healer than our actual healer ! Healer, get lost (healer gets kicked)".

Me: Presses the "abandon group" button. I know I am gonna get a penalty, but I don't care. Those 2 who kicked a player that was learning his/her role do not deserve my help.

There are more stories like this, but I hope you get the idea.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on March 28, 2023 12:32PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be glad if the other DD is doing more damage than me, because I'm a pretty decent DD, and it means they are even more, so the run will likely go faster and smoother. In some cases (for eg., in an organized trial raid) if another DD with the exact same class and spec is doing significantly more damage than me, and none of us is assigned to a particular mechanic, then it'd be a cause for revaluation of my rotation, to see if I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm just slower. In any case, I'd prefer playing with faster DDs, even if it means feeling slower, than the other way around, and it's also good for improving. But generally as a rule, I always strive to do equal or higher than my allotted % of the damage, and I think that's a better metric (all things being mostly equal).