Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Companion Wishlist

phaneub17_ESO
phaneub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Some ideas to consider later this year, hopefully by the next PTS cycle.

Action

-Ranged Weapons and Roll Dodge: Bow, Lightning Staff, Flame Staff, Restoration Staff. Can you change the threshold to =< 80% health so that players have ample time to throw a healing effect, shield absorption, or taunt the target away from their companion? It is very counter-productive having them immediately roll dodge away, even at full health, sometimes twice before the player can react to them being attacked. 80% is an ideal value as it doesn't reach the amount to trigger most companion's defensive abilities which is 75%, but gives the player enough time to do something before they roll into oblivion often taking their target with them. At least we can heal them after the first roll dodge to prevent the second charge from triggering immediately after.

Stats

-Armor: It would be nice to see how much armor is contributing to their damage reduction, it is only an assumption that they need a maximum of 25,000 armor to reach 50% damage reduction but that's only a guess. Can you display it on their character sheet when viewing their information how much damage reduction their current armor is providing.

-Focused: Convert critical rating to actual percentage values in their character sheet. Companions cannot attack players, as far as I know PvE targets do not have varying critical resistance, and many players aren't going to calculate how much critical rating is to critical chance. It seems to be more practical for this to display true critical chance values, at least in their character sheet if not on the individual items.

-Augmented: I think there's something wrong when another trait gives more uptime on effects per minute than the trait meant to increase the duration of effects and does not affect all abilities with a duration effect. Also the increased duration on damage and healing effects doesn't seem to change the value, I don't know if its a display error or it doesn't calculate in additional ticks.

There are two ways I can think of making this trait desirable, the first is to reduce the duration of damage and healing effects while doing the same total amount. Instead of 9000 damage over 8 seconds, at full 31% Augmented, reduces it to 9000 damage over 5.5 seconds; you end up with more damage/healing per tick.

Method two is to raise the value, but set a limit on how much Augmented can affect an ability based on its cooldown.
Uncommon = 2.8% / 33%
Superior = 3.5% / 42%
Epic = 4.2% / 50%
Companion with Augmented as their racial passive to be 10%.

Abilities with a cooldown of 8 seconds has a cap of 33%
Abilities with a cooldown of 12 seconds has a cap of 40%
Abilities with a cooldown of 16 seconds has a cap of 50%
Abilities with a cooldown of 36 seconds and Ultimate has a cap of 60%

When you do add a companion with Augmented as their racial passive, I hope its a werewolf or vampire Ultimate with 15 seconds transformation. You can figure at full 60% Augmented would bring the effect to a maximum of 24 seconds.

Feature

-Weapon Swap: I like to be able to equip companions with a secondary weapon and a second list of abilities without having to change and replace everything. It would be a manual switch and only out of combat where we go into their skills menu to do it. That way we can give them dual roles like Two-Handed in Primary Weapon and Bow in Secondary Weapon.
  • Fugus
    Fugus
    ✭✭✭
    I would just love for them to allow them to get XP easier or lower their threshold one.

Ember was my first companion, I got her about a quarter of the way through my first zone. I have cleared 4 full zones now, she is level 14 now with 2 of them not even from questing or doing anything normally but from going to the grind zones to cheese levels and even that takes an hour+ per level unless I further cheese it with XP scrolls and XP gear.

Just let them get XP for quest turn ins please. The fact I am at CP level 300 or so and I got the Companion at around level 25-30 maybe and she still isn't maxed is sad when I take into consideration I still have Isobella after I max Ember out and evidently there are 2 more companions I haven't even got yet.
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very reasonable comments. 👌

I'd also like to see a more fleshed out rapport system. Where it feels more intimate.
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m a simple man with a few simple request.

-Vampire and Werewolf companions-
    Would love a vampire companion who’s primary skills center around using vampire skills. Fairly easy to do I believe. Werewolf companions would be a bit tricky with the timer and all. But maybe limit it to the ultimate and have it last maybe 20 secs or so.

-Evil/Dark companions-
    More specifically a Dark Brotherhood or Morag Tong companion. Or even a former Worm Cult Necromancer. Where they give you approval for killing or doing contracts involving murder. Perfect reason to revisit the Gold Coast to level up their approval. Kind of tired of these goody goody too shoes companions. I have a few characters centered around dark deeds and it would be nice if my companions reflected that in gameplay.

-The ability to put hoods or hats on our companions-
    I understand why they don’t want us too but it still would be nice to have.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love your suggestion for a manual weapon swap! It would be a great way to have, not only a second weapon, but alternate set of abilities stored on a companion. :)

More dialogue options and enhanced rapport system would also be welcome!
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • not having to do the ******* unlock quest on every character lol
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Feature

-Weapon Swap: I like to be able to equip companions with a secondary weapon and a second list of abilities without having to change and replace everything. It would be a manual switch and only out of combat where we go into their skills menu to do it. That way we can give them dual roles like Two-Handed in Primary Weapon and Bow in Secondary Weapon.

Better yet: a whole secondary setup, including armor. Some people really prefer one companion over the others, would be nice to be able to switch roles on the fly.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, good feedback. Here is my wishlist, from little, to big, to bonkers.

1) Abilities with a duration should not be recast until they have expired. This is how companion taunts work currently. E.g. the companion wall of elements skill has 8 second duration and 8s cool down, so any augmented or quickened traits have no positive impact on this skill currently.

2) Companion houseguests (placed in houses) should be able to "discuss" their skills and gear load outs when you talk to them. This would make it MUCH easier to move gear between companions, the bank, storage, AND much easier to compare their builds and progress. A major QoL improvement for people who like to experiment with companion builds.

3) Armor has been designed around the archetypes healer/DD/tank, but in actual gameplay any build that prioritizes survivability will consider heavy armor, as it's significant armor boost is equivalent to an extra passive boost. Healers and damage dealers often slot abilities that gain no benefit from light/medium armor respectively.

I would like a review of all companion mechanics, but for armor I would prefer light armor gave some cool down reduction and crit (quickened and focussed) for a more aggressive but vulnerable healer or damage dealer build. Medium armor would get the increase to healing done alongside the increase to damage done, for a more bullish, solid healer or damage dealer. Heavy armor maybe would need a little buff to keep up with these changes, but the idea is that a healer/DD/tank could wear any armor weight depending on how aggressive vs defensive they want to play.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.