The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Roleplay Event?

Bluedog164
Bluedog164
✭✭

Roleplay Event? 54 votes

Sure, we should have a roleplay event
38%
VriendaHamfastPathJakelDKMikeSkyrim333BenTSGkarthrag_inakAVaelhamWildRaptorXGregaDiebesgutNachoProblemAnumarilWiseSkySuna_Ye_SunnabeAnduinTryggvaMesitedeejayveeFeedbackOnlyStormBlade512 21 votes
Sure, but it should be lead by roleplay guilds
3%
DanikatSheridan 2 votes
Maybe, we should think about this a bit more and develop a story to follow
7%
Saint-AngeHappyTheCamperhiziumBobargus 4 votes
No, but maybe later
9%
Thorntongueldzlcs065Dark_Lord_KuroLikiLokiLady_Galadhiel 5 votes
No, we shouldn't have a roleplay event, rather we should have another kind-of event
40%
vailjohn_ESOmartinhpb16_ESOSheezabeastKingArthasMenethilAvalonRangerBloodyStigmatashadyjane62Ragnarok0130TensarMorganaBlueBugsyTheGodalcoraptorHapexamendiosdavidtkGrizzbeornaurelius_fxJimmyTortellinitomfantPetendgamesmug 22 votes
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    This is not an official post, but I think this would be a good way of seeing what others think of the idea of a roleplay event.
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every event is sort of role play event anyway. Majority of the role play guilds do their own events within their own guild also.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    Well, I thought we should do a roleplay event for the whole game. You know like one of those story events where you can interact with other players.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    How do I make suggestions to the developers?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guilds can do role--play events whenever they like, and have been since the game came out. I'm not sure why you think they'd need ZOS to give permission for it.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    Okay, you may have a point.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be really nice. To be honest, as much fun ESO is, the aspect of role playing is sadly pretty small. The quest stories are nice and all, well told, the visuals stunning and all the load of activity entertaining. But it is too inciting for rushing through all that. Which is ok, as this is how MMORGs work and most players enjoy.

So a time-limited role play event would be awesome. It could be a heavily scripted (solo or coop) dungeon with story, intermittend video clips, dialogues with decision making alternating with phases of fighting. With more emphasise on dialogue and non-fight phases than on fight phases.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    how would ZOS measure role playing to give out the rewards of an event? I'm struggling to understand how it could be an event in the way that we currently have them in ESO
    Soupy twist
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    It would be really nice. To be honest, as much fun ESO is, the aspect of role playing is sadly pretty small. The quest stories are nice and all, well told, the visuals stunning and all the load of activity entertaining. But it is too inciting for rushing through all that. Which is ok, as this is how MMORGs work and most players enjoy.

So a time-limited role play event would be awesome. It could be a heavily scripted (solo or coop) dungeon with story, intermittend video clips, dialogues with decision making alternating with phases of fighting. With more emphasise on dialogue and non-fight phases than on fight phases.

Why thank you AnduinTryggva, you just made my day.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    I think there should be a dungeon where you roleplay with the other members of your party, the cutscenes are scripted, of course, but you can discuss things as your characters. You can write down your backstory using the forums for the event of the things that have led you to this point. Then as you roleplay through the dungeon, you encounter enemies which you have to defeat, much as you do for a normal dungeon. Except in the dungeon, you can interact with the other characters as your character. There can also be seven separate dungeons that happen concurrently. That way, everyone gets their fair share of the experience.
  • Fenris_Arainai
    Fenris_Arainai
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd need some examples or explanation what OP has in mind before voting, because without any data that could mean virtually *anything*.
    Glory to you and your Dunmer House!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what that would even mean. Personally roleplay implies consent of all parties and not sure how such event would even be possible "worldwide". It's already a thing in rp guilds I'm sure but you won't be able to make other people to participate in it the way you're willing to choose in a sense.

Like dungeon idea I've read in this thread, it's just a normal dungeon but people need to be "in character" as far as I understood it, but you can do it already with other 3 role-players without an event. But if that's implies random people like dungeon finder it won't work period.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    We're discussing whether or not ZOS should do a roleplay event. That's really all there is, but they can do dungeons with that where they can interact as their characters with NPCs and each other.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    Not sure what that would even mean. Personally roleplay implies consent of all parties and not sure how such event would even be possible "worldwide". It's already a thing in rp guilds I'm sure but you won't be able to make other people to participate in it the way you're willing to choose in a sense.

Like dungeon idea I've read in this thread, it's just a normal dungeon but people need to be "in character" as far as I understood it, but you can do it already with other 3 role-players without an event. But if that's implies random people like dungeon finder it won't work period.

Well, it can be people you find as you roleplay, you can participate in the event as you roleplay.
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the difference is that what I have in mind would of course require more development effort by ZOS as the story would imply cut scenes, more dialogue, and more impact of player decisions while the fight part will be a secondary aspect.
  • Bluedog164
    Bluedog164
    ✭✭
    It can also be a story quest with other people. As you roleplay along and I think that we need to have more player choice

I think the difference is that what I have in mind would of course require more development effort by ZOS as the story would imply cut scenes, more dialogue, and more impact of player decisions while the fight part will be a secondary aspect.

I actually am beginning to agree with this you more and more, AnduinTryggva. I think it would bring more of an impact on the story if the players were given more choices.
    Edited by Bluedog164 on February 4, 2023 11:19AM
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I vote "None of these."
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some ESO events are roleplay events, or more accurately, they have some aspects of RP event.
    Event quest of actual Dragon event is RP, only dailys (we are getting ticket for) are more PvE.
    New life festival, Jester event, Zenithar event are more RP then PvE.
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No clue what that'd look like but I desperately want more RP support from ZOS.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    No, we shouldn't have a roleplay event, rather we should have another kind-of event
    I stopped playing with Update 35 , and have been trying to keep some semblance of a connection with the game for a "who knows, I might come back someday" moment by reading the forums.
    I literally learned to play the game here, the forums were something I studied daily, for years - a huge container of written knowledge shared by accomplished players. Now this. Geezus. To the many of you who came before me and so freely shared so I could learn, I thank you.

As to my vote - I voted no RP events - if anything, events that everybody can enjoy, both RP people and players who don't care about RP. Better yet, less events. There are far too many already.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what OP means, to be honest. RP as in player interaction? Or just questing (maybe quests that focus more on narration than on killing enemies and just fetching some item)?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also not sure what the event would entail, especially in terms of completing objectives for tickets, since for things like rewards, etc., there needs to be certain parameters, so I'm not sure how they could implementing and how creative it could be within those parameters. But if they could organize something like that, sure, why not, all players should have something relating to their playstyle.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've not been interested in consensual RP in years. Not likely to become "re-interested" in it. Would be another event I'd just ignore.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    ESO definitely needs more RP support, but I don't think an event is the way to do it.

For starters, how do you measure participation and give rewards / event tickets?
    You mention using the forums to write backstory, or interaction with other players during the dungeon, but how do you tie that to the event? How do you verify and measure it? What about people that don't have a forum account?

Secondly, the RP aspect of ESO is quite small - considerably smaller than the PVP community. There is already a huge amount of backlash on this forum every time there's a PVP event - how much is that going to be multiplied by if RP is "forced" on people to get event tickets (yes, I know they could skip the event, but that argument is brought up every year in the PVP event)

Thirdly, how would ZOS handle all of the griefing and trolling that would undoubtedly happen (again, see the PVP event with things like people camping the quest locations)? It would be a huge undertaking.

Finally, I don't really understand what an event would bring that you can't already do in the game. You can already do all of the things mentioned without needing an event.
    Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bluedog164 wrote: »
    I think there should be a dungeon where you roleplay with the other members of your party, the cutscenes are scripted, of course, but you can discuss things as your characters. You can write down your backstory using the forums for the event of the things that have led you to this point. Then as you roleplay through the dungeon, you encounter enemies which you have to defeat, much as you do for a normal dungeon. Except in the dungeon, you can interact with the other characters as your character. There can also be seven separate dungeons that happen concurrently. That way, everyone gets their fair share of the experience.

That's just doing a dungeon with an RP guild, it's what they already do and doesn't need any input from ZOS.

Official events in this game usually mean bonus rewards for participating in specific things and it's not possible to do that for role-playing because there's no way for the game to tell who is role-playing and who is just chatting.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    Thee_Cheshire_Cat
    ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is confusing to me lol

The whole game is a MMORPG, emphasis on the RPG. ZOS has events all the time, one going on now. Some may not have noticed as they run around like headless chickens, and complain about spawn times and such.

As many have mentioned, there are guilds who already hold RP events... and then there are thos-- well, those i play with, and we are IC at -all- times. So when we go into dungeons and such, out in the world, just logging in, is a rpg event for us. The depth depending where characters are in the world/their personal storylines etc.

Role-play is what you make it. Where we don't have a dedicated RP server (Boggles my mind), you do what you can.
    Lady Kat, from the Cheshire Cats.Interested in HEAVY RP? IC at -all- times? https://thecheshirecatseso.proboards.com/#CheshireCats_RPnow
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    As I see it, we have a PvP event, even though not everyone enjoys PvP... why not have a RP event?

I am not sure how an RP event would work, but sure, an RP event might be cool, I might even find I liked Role Playing... it has not worked with PvP, I still dislike that part of the game, but what the heck...

For those of you that do role play (not talking to the Adult themed role players, just the family friendly ones) what would I need to do to get my tickets?

Can I role play the quiet brooding loner who normally will not interact with others as he goes about his business? (This is my normal play style)

Do I need to emote in the 3rd person? "Hamfast looks around and sees no intelligent life"... I can do that...

so Great, let's have a Role Playing Event
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only kind of Roleplay event I could see working is like the events that took place in Lord of the Rings Online.

You're not fighting things, you're not doing normal ingame activities, you're just... doing fun stuff. A horse race, a timed course around the region, getting drunk and navigating around with a hard to control character, etc.

ESO does have some of this in New Life, but it definitely needs more silly quests like that with a bit more depth to them.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    The only kind of Roleplay event I could see working is like the events that took place in Lord of the Rings Online.

You're not fighting things, you're not doing normal ingame activities, you're just... doing fun stuff. A horse race, a timed course around the region, getting drunk and navigating around with a hard to control character, etc.

ESO does have some of this in New Life, but it definitely needs more silly quests like that with a bit more depth to them.

Some of the base game zones are like this as well!

Scripted quests from NPCs are hard to roleplay out, but when they manipulate the state of your character and force you to box a leader of some clan to gain their favor- it counts as roleplaying (even if scripted) and can be some good fun. They could also add in something like a harp and make players play the song by doing a sequence of keypresses (this would quickly get dominated by macros like in Mordhau, but it would still be good fun).
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think this is something ZoS should do. Rather I think the it should be organized by people who actively do it.