The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think basegame classes are outdated? (Not about balancing!)

• pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they are fine as they are.
    I think there is way too much flashy animations and sound effects now that it's starting to become bothersome. There's even a mount that produces a long sound effects with really flashy graphics when mounted. The original classes feel thematically very well grounded, even more so than the Necromancer. I'd rather have the Arcanist be more modest in animations and sound effects.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not at all. I think they're pretty resiliently designed and changing them to be more uniformed alongside the DLC classes wouldn't be well received by many. Just look at how the jabs change was received. I don't feel like there's anything deeply wrong with them and they're all pretty straightforward to play.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I said this earlier today in a different thread, but here is my take, and admittedly, I am mostly talking about balancing. I care far more about balance and gameplay functionality than I do about flashy skills. Also, last time they made a major aesthetic change to an iconic basegame skill, people lost their freaking minds, cough cough, jabs, cough.

I think the base game classes have definitely lost some of their identity. At launch, and for the first few years, I felt like each class had things they were good at, and things they were frankly not so good at.

You wanted a tank? You rolled a DK. You wanted a healer? You rolled a Templar. Sorc and NB were clearly designed as your damage classes. Admittedly, every class could DPS pretty well. One of the best players I ever new played a templar tank, but when we decided to tackle VMOL HM (and we were on of the first to clear it), he had to roll a DK. Group comp of all the early clears was two DK tanks, two templar healers, and mostly NBs and Sorcs as DPS, with a templar or DK occupying the melee slots.

Now, ZOS has made an effort to make sure every class can be good at everything. I understand why, mostly because people complained, but I also think it has resulted in homogenization of the classes, which is not a great thing in my opinion.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on February 3, 2023 9:39PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dislike how templar jabs were changed. For the most part, I prefer the look and feel of the original classes, including having themed rather than utility skill lines.

I never liked how most of the necro skills look, especailly throwing skulls and tombstones, although the spirit mendor and battlemage/archer are cool. I’m hoping the look of arcanist is more to my taste. :)
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Isn't this the reason you hear everyone crying about templar jabs on this forum, because they upgraded the animation to what is now essentially a spear made of light rather than some sort of magical concoction as it was before...

There is nothing wrong with the OG animations anyway.
    I get more annoyed when they make drastic changes like overload not having a third bar any more or the DK skill where you throw 3 rocks now, forgot it's name.

The Templar jabs is a good point.

However, I doubt there is a need for any changes. People may see the latest shiny and get all excited, but that has no bearing on the design of the existing classes that we are used to seeing day in and day out.

Things are just fine.

• Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I think other issues are more important at the moment and should take priority.
    all the combats animations in this game are bad, classes or not.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm the odd one out - I actually don't care about animations. I care about results.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like I said this earlier today in a different thread, but here is my take, and admittedly, I am mostly talking about balancing. I care far more about balance and gameplay functionality than I do about flashy skills. Also, last time they made a major aesthetic change to an iconic basegame skill, people lost their freaking minds, cough cough, jabs, cough.

I think the base game classes have definitely lost some of their identity. At launch, and for the first few years, I felt like each class had things they were good at, and things they were frankly not so good at.

You wanted a tank? You rolled a DK. You wanted a healer? You rolled a Templar. Sorc and NB were clearly designed as your damage classes. Admittedly, every class could DPS pretty well. One of the best players I ever new played a templar tank, but when we decided to tackle VMOL HM (and we were on of the first to clear it), he had to roll a DK. Group comp of all the early clears was two DK tanks, two templar healers, and mostly NBs and Sorcs as DPS, with a templar or DK occupying the melee slots.

Now, ZOS has made an effort to make sure every class can be good at everything. I understand why, mostly because people complained, but I also think it has resulted in homogenization of the classes, which is not a great thing in my opinion.

I'm not sure how far back you're going, but as early as console launch ZOS messaging was that any class could play any role and there were even (community created) guides saying that DKs were the best healers (because they had the easiest access to +healing done buffs).

(On the other hand, I also pretty regularly got kicked from PUG dungeon groups simply for being a DK healer up until at least the Morrowind chapter. That was because people are dumb though, not because anything in ZOS's class design made DKs particularly bad healers.)
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on February 4, 2023 3:42AM
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, resources should be dedicated to upgrade old classes to more modern class' visuals, animations, themes...
    Dragonknight:
    Inferno
    Inhale

Nightblade:
    Blur
    Malevolent Offer
    Cripple
    Drain Power

Sorcerer:
    Negate
    Encase/Rune Prison

Templar:
    Eclipse
    Healing Ritual

And even weapon abilities like Blade Cloak

These are only some of the abilities that I think really do not fit the identity or playstyle of the various classes. They are either redundant, underwhelming, visually or mechanically uninteresting, or just poorly designed.

If DK, NB, Sorc, or Templar were brand new DLC classes released today, you can be sure that ZOS wouldn't give them abilities like these, and instead find something more interesting.

I get it. If your build uses any of these skills and you enjoy how they work, you'd feel disappointed if Eclipse got replaced with a buff that makes your sword glow with holy light; or if Rune prison got replaced with a placeable crystal wall that blocks projectiles; or if Inhale got replaced by a dragon tail swipe.

But I still think it'd be better for the game if classes had more interesting and unique tools,

Healing ritual is a relic from launch. An ability that made sense when healing was sparse, and the combat was a lot slower paced. When a 2 second wind-up for a more powerful heal felt like a worthwhile trade. But that simply doesn't fit in ESO anymore. But instead of replacing it with something new, ZOS just sped it up.

I wish ZOS was willing to entirely remove and replace abilities that no longer fit the game, instead of reworking them. That would make for a more interesting and better game.
    Edited by Marto on February 5, 2023 11:27PM
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing the game since console release, I enjoy the animations for the base game classes because that's what makes them that class. If y'all want new animations have them make new skill lines/classes, don't rip away the identity that has been there for 8+ years
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how far back you're going, but as early as console launch ZOS messaging was that any class could play any role and there were even (community created) guides saying that DKs were the best healers (because they had the easiest access to +healing done buffs).

(On the other hand, I also pretty regularly got kicked from PUG dungeon groups simply for being a DK healer up until at least the Morrowind chapter. That was because people are dumb though, not because anything in ZOS's class design made DKs particularly bad healers.)

I have played since beta, so that far back I suppose. Nothing stopped people, even very early on from tanking on a NB or healing on a Sorc, but they were not as good as their DK or Templar counterparts. It didnt matter for most content, but when you really got into the thick of things, (remember, Vet HMs used to take a lot of progression, even for the best groups), some classes where just better at some things than others. That is of course still true today, but ZOS has been trying to make it less so for years. Personally, I am okay with classes being good at one thing and lousy at others, but again, I understand why ZOS pushes against that, to appease the masses, especially people that only want to play one class/character.

I do think that both Chapter classes, Necro and Warden, were designed from the ground up to be able to perform all roles. I think the base game classes where not, but rather, modified over the years to be able to do so. Its also clear that the Chapter classes were designed with the Major/Minor buff system in mind, and again, the base game classes had to be adapted to that system. The result is that some of the base game classes can feel a little out of touch (sorc I think is the best example), and we also have more homogenization of classes than I would like.