The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Suggestion: Targeted Loot

• Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The suggestion that seems to be put forth in the OP would lead to players choosing the most effortless activity they can find to get the gear they want.

We know this from the history of the game. IIRC, there was a time when players could queue for a random dungeon, and once it popped could travel to and clear any dungeon to get credit for completing the random. As such many players traveled to FG as it is the dungeon that requires the least effort. That was until Zenimax found out about this loophole and closed it.

• bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    May as well just make gear bind on equip, that way people will still have to run the relevant activities to get the gear and be able to sell it to those that don't want to.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this game is way overly-grindy, but, "That which we obtain too easily we esteem too lightly." Swinging the pendulum to the other extreme is not an improvement.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    FBS94 wrote: »
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    You can already farm most loot in the game by knowing what drops where.

Yes, but it is too tedious.

How so? Want Mother's Sorrow? Farm Deshaan. Want Necropotence? Farm Rivenspire. Want Sargeant's Mail? Farm Wayrest Sewers.

You can even narrow down your grind depending on whether you need armor, weapons, or jewelry. Not sure how that's tedious, especially with the stickerbook.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Wouldn't be good for the game. An MMO needs three things to survive long term. New content, players repeating content and players doing a variety of content. Your idea would cause a decrease in players doing a variety of content resulting in an eventual drop in player population.

There should be no expectation of getting every reward/piece of equipment in the game if the player isn't going to take part in every aspect of the game. I believe account wide achievements already wrecked players repeating content by taking away incentive to do so. No reason to make it worse with this idea.

"For example, i like roleplaying a khajiit whose sole purpose is to hunt dragons. But why should i be limited to getting the crafty alfiq set, for example, when i am trying to make a stamina build instead."

Because you are role playing a character that only slays dragons. A choice you have made. As part of that role play your Khajiit will get only the appropriate gear currently dropped by dragons. You could take advantage of a crafted set either by crafting yourself or purchasing at a trader.
    If your Khajiit wants to become a more efficient dragon killer he will have to venture out into the world for more appropriate gear. That is what makes the game work.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Bobargus
    Bobargus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    How so? Want Mother's Sorrow? Farm Deshaan. Want Necropotence? Farm Rivenspire. Want Sargeant's Mail? Farm Wayrest Sewers.

You can even narrow down your grind depending on whether you need armor, weapons, or jewelry. Not sure how that's tedious, especially with the stickerbook. [/quote]

Here is a "drop information" description from a wiki site that i have found to explain how tedious it actually is to farm those overland gears:

"Delve bosses drop waist and feet
    World bosses drop head, chest, legs and weapons
    Public dungeon bosses drop shoulders, hands and weapons (In zones without public dungeons these drop for other mentioned sources)
    Dark Anchors and chests drop rings and necklaces (In zones without Dark Anchors these drop in trials and arenas)"

Multiple, different activities just to get the same gear. Sure, it is overland gear, but the way of getting it is intentionally spread throughout the whole zone, instead of being able to say that "hey, even if i have to go to that zone, at least i can do whatever activity that i would like to do on it".

But for now, that is not the case.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there actually any games which work like this?

People keep calling it 'casual friendly' but even casual games have rewards tied to specific content. I was recently replaying Lost Words: Beyond the Page which is a single-player platformer and very casual, to the point where you cannot die or fail - if you fall off the bottom you immediately reappear where you were and have infinite lives and retries. But it's still got things you need to collect to get 100% completion and get the best ending and each one is in a specific location. At the end of the game you can repeat levels to get the collectibles you missed, but you can't just play the first level over and over until you've collected all of them.

The nearest I can think of is Valheim, where the ability to build stuff and use tools is tied to the tools and crafting stations rather than character progression, so in a multi-player game if someone else kills a boss and gets their special drops they can let you use them and then you'll be able to make all those items, train those skills etc. without defeating the boss yourself. But ESO already has an equivalent to this by having tradable gear and items and because many groups can (and will if asked) carry someone through areas they can't complete normally to help them get the rewards.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • everseeing_njpreub18_ESO
    No
    I agree with many, you get the rewards for the level you are willing to do.

I don't do trials, i should not have trial gear. There are some non-gear things I'd like from trials, but that's my incentive to go do them, if i am not willing, then i don't get that reward. That's on me.

As for "experiencing" the game, everyone can, I can, but i don't want to do trials, that's my choice and my loss if i don't get something i might want. I would be glad to have a "story-mode" on trials and such, BUT should NOT have access to the same rewards. Then i can experience the story and action.

That's why hard and veteran modes offer more rewards, you eared them.
  • FantasticFreddie
    FantasticFreddie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    If you only like pvp and don't want to farm overland sets, you can buy overland coffers for AP, or from guild traders.

If you just want viable sets to run around and do whatever, you can ask someone to craft you perfectly suitable sets for your activity.

If you don't want to grind for gear there are already ways around it. I've got someone in one of my trial groups doing decent damage in crafted sets, because he's relatively new and hasn't had time to adequately farm all his gear. You can hold your own in vet content with crafted/overland gear, it's perfectly suitable for killing dragons.

If you want trial and dungeon gear, run the trials and dungeons.