The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Necromancer>buff?

Melzo
Melzo
✭✭✭✭
Graverobber (morph): Reduced the damage of this synergy by approximately 47% to ensure it is of similar power to other synergies of its ilk, such as Conduit or Combustion.

Outside of this adjustment, we have some usual balance tweaks for sets and abilities, but two in particular stand out: First, we’ve reworked the Harmony trait to no longer be burst oriented and more about what the trait’s name and gameplay tries to incentivize – sustain and group coordination. This trait will now simply grant a chunk of Health, Magicka, and Stamina any time you activate a synergy, similarly to the Undaunted Mettle bonus.

I'm bad with English. Harmony does not give damage and the damage of the synergy of the necromancer was reduced by half?? Did I read correctly?? But Google translate is failing me. Google won't lie to me??
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I may have drunk too much tea or my eyes are failing me. Now I will pinch myself. Does not help...
  • Oakiyo
    Oakiyo
    ✭✭✭
    No no, you read it correctly, they removed an entire playstyle.
  • Zekka
    Zekka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you understood it correctly :D .
    ok.gif
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancers gets nerfed and DKs get major berserk! I'm lost for words! :D
    Edited by propertyOfUndefined on January 30, 2023 7:02PM
  • Stamicka
    Stamicka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea Necromancer is really not a great class in PvP. Blastbones is a bit too unpredictable, they don't have good stun options, and overall their killing power is just low. Bombing was really the only way the class worked in PvP. There's not many other ways to play the class in PvP unfortunately. It needs a rework.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dead class. Harmony was the last nerf waiting in the wings that would finish it. Gotta kill the class to sell Arcanist.

• flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came back a month ago and was waiting to gold out any gear until i got the PTS notes. So glad i waited and was patient. Wanted to play Necro or Sorc in PVP cause i mained DK for 6 years in PVP. But guess its time to hop on my DK again or get my NB leveled up.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Came back a month ago and was waiting to gold out any gear until i got the PTS notes. So glad i waited and was patient. Wanted to play Necro or Sorc in PVP cause i mained DK for 6 years in PVP. But guess its time to hop on my DK again or get my NB leveled up.

Lol, I mained a Sorc until Necro, my preferred mmorpg class, came out and became my main. Talk about bad decisions.

I have level 50 NB and DK, but I can only imagine how long it will take to get to the same number of skill points. My first two classes had literally everything done. Putting a player into the "is it too much work to start over, should I just move on to another game?" place is a bad move.
    Edited by katorga on January 30, 2023 8:20PM
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I hated the harmony playstyle. Awfully one-note and kinda cheesy.
    But at least necro had SOMETHING.

I retired my magcro because of how clunky blastbones feels to use and babyhsit. I really feel like, to accompany the murdering of the harmony playstyle, some buffs and adjustments were in order, to make other aspects of necromancer playable in pvp and smoother in pve.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • Noszet
    Noszet
    ✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Dead class.
    Fits the theme, doesn't it?
  • binho
    binho
    ✭✭✭
    What a joke. I understand they need to sell the new class and throw some nerfs around to make it a bit more appealing, but this is silly.
    No one plays necro anymore, and nerfing one of the only 2 valuable damage skill without giving anything in return is ludicrous.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am beyond stunned. Necro has been steadily nerfed since it released.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's okay guys, all the Sorc and Necro mains can move to Archanist in a few months.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • festegios
    festegios
    ✭✭✭
    someone explain to me how harmony trait combined with necro boneyard even worked? i wasnt aware it was even a thing
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the best skill to put Major Berserk on to enhance the class? So not just the absolutely strongest choice, but the one that makes the most sense to keep things balanced and thematic.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can a dev please explain the reasoning behind these changes in relation to necromancers and what the plan is to address these changes for given class?
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    festegios wrote: »
    someo85ne explain to me how harmony trait combined with necro boneyard even worked? i wasnt aware it was even a thing

Boneyard has a morph with a self synergy that starts with a fairly high tooltip and gets ridiculous when using all harmony. Necro's wear Dark Convergence/Viscous death and drop Colossus to apply major vulnerability and suck groups in, then drop boneyard and synergize it for another 25-30k. Between the Ulti and the synergy damage all it takes is one person to die and then the VD explosion takes out everyone else because they're already at low health.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    someo85ne explain to me how harmony trait combined with necro boneyard even worked? i wasnt aware it was even a thing

Boneyard has a morph with a self synergy that starts with a fairly high tooltip and gets ridiculous when using all harmony. Necro's wear Dark Convergence/Viscous death and drop Colossus to apply major vulnerability and suck groups in, then drop boneyard and synergize it for another 25-30k. Between the Ulti and the synergy damage all it takes is one person to die and then the VD explosion takes out everyone else because they're already at low health.

note, I do essentially the same thing with NB, no synergy needed - more successfully too because of the speed, invisibility and escape skills. A lot of Necro kit that has been nerfed existed in the first place because the class has no execute, no mobility, no CC, no working dots in pvp, clunky corpse mechanics, and a burst skill, Blastbones, that may or may not function and does not do changes in elevation well.

Heck it is the only class without access to major sorcery/brutality in its class kit.

Lol, the necro dot and heal over time are so bad they are free to cast.
    Edited by katorga on January 31, 2023 3:42AM
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »

note, I do essentially the same thing with NB, no synergy needed - more successfully too because of the speed, invisibility and escape skills. A lot of Necro kit that has been nerfed existed in the first place because the class has no execute, no mobility, no CC, no working dots in pvp, clunky corpse mechanics, and a burst skill, Blastbones, that may or may not function and does not do changes in elevation well.

Lol, the necro dot and heal over time are so bad they are free to cast.

That's the real crux of the matter though. Most successful bombs pretty much depend on DC and if you'll still be able to do it with NB why take the play-style away from Necro when it's all they've got going for them? Leave Harmony and Boneyard alone and delete Dark Convergence. If this goes through I forsee the kill 20 Necros mission in Cyro taking a week to complete.
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was that paradox during the years MagNB was generally regarded as a weak class in PvP - it was also Perma Emp. It wasn't until the VD playstyle was replaced by Necro that MagNB was buffed to again be a competitive, versatile class.

The Gravytrain rolls to its long-deserved stop, what's next? Looking at the notes on Chains I'd say in class Berserk, forget the Brutality and Savagery after all, just give us Berserk.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Melzo
    Melzo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm afraid to enter the game after this update. I've been playing for four years and I have a huge amount of jewelry with a harmony trait. I think my eyes will bleed when I take it all apart... I hope I don't have to.
  • IncultaWolf
    IncultaWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancers will be the worst class in the game for pvp, behind even templar with the way the pts looks right now, can we please have some buffs? The class just doesn't do damage in pvp.
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZoS devs need to know what they have done. if they don’t buff necro burst/ damage for pvp, for q1, then it’s never going to change.

I hate the harmony build. I hope they do something though. It was the only viable option for pvp.

ZoS devs just want to [snip] with its player base now lol

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on February 3, 2023 3:00PM
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necromancer is quite a problem, isn't it?
    Unlike other classes, where one or two changes could save it, Necro is far more complex. Its problems exist in both pve and pvp.

Skulls: too slow and easy to dodge in pvp. Needs to be fast or undodgeable.

Skelly mage: low, low damage aoe dot, making it pathetically weak in both pve and pvp. Needs a buff.

Blastbones: our main damage skill. Incredibly fiddly and clunky to use as it does not work on a fixed timing. It goes off when it feels like it. Far too unreliable and annoying to be our main, key skill. Needs completely reworking.

Grave grasp: pure roleplay skill, both morphs. Too slow, too short ranged, the pet buff is... worthless? Feel free to correct me on this. Needs completely reworking.

Did I miss anything? I feel that, at minimum, these skills need.to be adjusted or fixed to make necromancer viable in any way.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike other classes, where one or two changes could save it, Necro is far more complex. Its problems exist in both pve and pvp.

Skelly mage: low, low damage aoe dot, making it pathetically weak in both pve and pvp. Needs a buff.

Blastbones: our main damage skill. Incredibly fiddly and clunky to use as it does not work on a fixed timing. It goes off when it feels like it. Far too unreliable and annoying to be our main, key skill. Needs completely reworking.

Grave grasp: pure roleplay skill, both morphs. Too slow, too short ranged, the pet buff is... worthless? Feel free to correct me on this. Needs completely reworking.

Did I miss anything? I feel that, at minimum, these skills need.to be adjusted or fixed to make necromancer viable in any way.

Class also needs access to one of the main offensive buffs (Sorc/Brut or Proph/Sav) and access to an on-demand stun, things literally every other class in the game has.
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Class also needs access to one of the main offensive buffs (Sorc/Brut or Proph/Sav) and access to an on-demand stun, things literally every other class in the game has.

Indeed. Necromancer can apply minor protection, major protection for like 3 seconds, the standard major resolve and... uh.... minor defile to itself. Waaaooow.

You could literally slap major sorcery / brutality on the skeltal mage and maybe major prophecy on spirit guardian or whatever. Maybe give blastbones minor berserk on cast, that way we can be almost as strong as a warden :))

As it stands, I need to slot entropy and also inner light, on a class that REALLY needs its skill slots to make it function.

Sadly though, necromancer is doomed to be repeatedly nerfed apparently. I suppose the overall clunkiness of the gameplay isn't enough difficulty.

A shame. I really loved this class, but the pain of trying to play it whilst hoping for some tlc from the devs is no longer worth it.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avid Boneyard also had a use as a pre-cast burst heal when soloing dungeons, with the synergy damage nerfed, I'ts really hard to justify taking the self-synergy morph instead of Major Breach, and at that point you can just as well use caltrops like everyone else.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agree.

Skulls, well, well below the current power level of other spammables, compare to Concealed Weapon. Garbage skill.

Blastbones - does not work much of the time. Path's poorly, cannot jump up or down from walls. Damage slightly low, should do 65-100% of Merciless Resolve. (5s to proc merciless, 3.5s minimum on BB).

Remote totem - 2s delay on stun, plus it usually misses the first one, so 4s. Useless.

Mystic Siphon and morphs, pve only and even then useless is movement fights, useless in pvp. Recently nerfed. So bad it is free to cast.

Graveyard - damage too low, nerfed last patch, now double nerfed again this patch.

Colossus animation is still epic tho. :)

• Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    New class is coming so it's time to push all the necromancers to said new class as we all did it once before with Elswyer.

As mine is a tank primarily doesn't matter much but my DPS Necro just got moved down to the bottom of my character list and likely won't see much action.
  • BlakMarket
    BlakMarket
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I agree harmony in pvp could/is somewhat abused so I can agree with those changes, BUT gutting graveyard? Why? Please provide one good reason to do so? It makes no sense.