The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A hopeful request in regards to character creation to anyone at Zenimax who would care to read

yamachanskb14_ESO
yamachanskb14_ESO
Soul Shriven
I just want to start by saying this has been a relatively smooth launch and I'm having a blast playing the game so far. I think the upside potential for the game is huge. But with that said, things got off to a bit of a bumpy start in creating my character.

First of all, the fact the servers opened 30-35 minutes before the set time was unfortunate. I'm over it now, but I was really disappointed to wake up I thought 30 minutes early only to find the servers already open and my name, of course, taken. It might sound silly but a lot of people preorder just to secure that name.

But I can handle that. My main problem is that I had to rush to get my second name, only to discover I couldn't zoom in on the face at all to make detailed facial changes like I'd done in previous betas. I luckily jotted down some settings I'd saved from prior betas, but it's still...rough.

So just the combination of early server open, names being acquired by the second and a broken character creator lead me to ask this:

Is there any possibility of a...character creation reconfiguring being put in the game, just from a service standpoint? Not to change a race, class or faction; I just want to remodel the aesthetics of my character. I know you have a lot of other important issues to worry about at launch, but please give it some thought. I know there's plenty of people like me who would be ecstatic with a feature like this in-game, even if it's just one-time.

Hope I didn't carry on too long.
  • TRG_Ebrasu
    TRG_Ebrasu
    ✭✭✭
    I would have to support the one time charter creation adjustment. I ran into to two issues, one I also had the no zoom issue which made tweaking the face a bit of a challenge; also a couple of my settings appeared to have reset once I created the character, specifically the height of the character and the musculature. I had made this maxed in height hulking Amazonian Imperial and she ended up in game a skinny average height avatar. Kind of a let down.

That being said I would pay (ingame) for this function, Have it cost 500 gold or something.
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You know what, I've been looking oddly at my character's musculature for quite a while, and it's way more pronounced than I remember making it. Could that have been thrown off as well? I was in such a rush to get my second-choice name that I wasn't sure if I'd set it that way and forgotten it or not. I lean towards not because, as I mentioned, I have a list of predetermined settings I made from the beta that I followed to the letter.

I didn't realize body settings were changed too.
  • Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    You should just deal with it. You have all the time in the world to create your character. If you don't like it, don't hit that "Create" button.

If they would allow such changes I'd expect them to ask for a real-money fee.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    Seems trivial especially at the present time. If a feature like that were to be implemented, I would expect it to be a long way off from now. If your name was taken be better prepared next time and more original.
    Edited by Distrobomb on March 31, 2014 1:09PM
    I survived the great ESO launch disaster 2014 B)
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Except that wasn't the case at all. Did you read any of the messages in my topic before you responded? All the time in the world doesn't matter if you can't zoom in to really get the details of the face right. Time is also not a factor at all, if you can spend a hour creating your character only for it to completely reset those after you hit that "Create" button. Plus there's the added pressure of trying to get a name you want. The last one isn't all that important, and I don't think this is a game-breaking issue, but it would be nice from a customer service standpoint in response to a feature not working the way it should have.

I'm convinced you two have read what you wanted to read and not what's actually there. I couldn't have possibly been more prepared; I'm not at fault for the servers opening 45 minutes earlier than was stated, the character creation system bugging out on the zoom function and my settings being set to some weird default after I hit the "Create" button.

How is that on me?
    Edited by yamachanskb14_ESO on March 31, 2014 1:11PM
  • ConquerorDromtar
    A one-time re-adjustment could be useful, I agree. I had a different problem with character creation being too dark, even after turning brightness all the way up. I could barely see anything when building an Argonian and Orc. Did anyone else have this issue?

I'm not so concerned about names as I am being able to get the eye, hair, skin, and paint/tattoo colors right without having to log into the game an inspect the character in the starting cell.
  • solarsisky
    solarsisky
    ✭✭
    Is your character that high already where you couldn't just create it anew (after you've safely placed your in-game mail items in the shared bank)?
    Edited by solarsisky on March 31, 2014 1:23PM
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Haha, yes. I'm already at the halfway point to 50. Plus there was no way I would risk losing my name, especially since I barely got it after losing my first choice to the earlier than stated start.

I just think it would be a considerate thing to allow when the character creation definitely had some bugs that prevented the customization it's been touted for.

I'm not even angry or remotely annoyed; I'm just disappointed, especially because I did put so much planning into my character's look and name, like many others have.

If a system is broken and negatively impacts a lot of people, in the case of this character creation, I don't think seeing if it's possible to remodel characters is out of line.

For at least one person, their settings were outright overwritten.

It would be great from a customer service standpoint.
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it would be a considerate thing to allow when the character creation definitely had some bugs that prevented the customization it's been touted for.

I'm not even angry or remotely annoyed

Launches are usually full of bugs. Most mmo players expect this at this point. The game isn't technically released yet. As I said above, it seems trivial but doable none the less. Will probably cost real money if implemented. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that haven't read what you have written. It's called forum etiquette. Names aren't that important, you had just as much chance to log in and get your name as everyone else. Be better prepared next time.

• Seroczynski
    Seroczynski
    ✭✭✭
    Servers were open on time if I am correct, they just converted the time wrong. 7AM EDT is not 1PM CET but an hour earlier.
    “To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.” ― Homer J. Simpson
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Distrobomb wrote: »

I'm not even angry or remotely annoyed

Launches are usually full of bugs. Most mmo players expect this at this point. The game isn't technically released yet. As I said above, it seems trivial but doable none the less. Will probably cost real money if implemented. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that haven't read what you have written. It's called forum etiquette. Names aren't that important, you had just as much chance to log in and get your name as everyone else. Be better prepared next time.

When bugs inhibit a player in a MMO launch, there's usually some type of resolution and response to that. That response isn't typically "deal with it." You want to talk about "forum etiquette" but let me talk to you about something more important: customer service.

I'm not demanding for Zenimax to be feathered and tarred, I'm just making the suggestion that from a service standpoint, given how buggy the character creation system was initially, even erasing the settings made in the creator, it would be nice to have some way to amend them without risk of losing both a name and progress.

And if you want to discuss etiquette, then properly interpreting someone's position before making blanket statements is part of it too.

Explain to me how my preparation is to blame for the servers opening well before 7:00 AM EST, the zoom function not working and the character creator returning to set defaults despite the customization input from the user. How is all that explained by "you weren't prepared"? I'm curious.
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    Your character is half way to max level and you want to talk about being inhibited?
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I can see you're either too stubborn or too short-sighted to contribute anything that won't bring this topic down to a place it doesn't need to go. I've already said this is not a game-breaking issue and I've already said that this is purely from a service stand-point, not a technical one. You also just responded to my question (your accusation) with a question designed for nothing other than to derail the topic into petty semantics.

I'm done responding to you.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I think it's worth consideration in light of the character creation zoom function not working, the custom settings being overwritten upon creation of said character and in combination with the fact that nobody is going to risk their name to correct there errors they aren't to blame for.

It's called service recovery.

It would just be nice. I'm not losing sleep over it. I have a level cap to hit so I'm off to play what's been an enjoyable game so far.
  • Distrobomb
    Distrobomb
    ✭✭✭
    And you are looking for someone to vent your frustrations to. Enjoy ESO
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven

Thanks. That'll be a nice little fix for my future characters while more important issues get hammered away.
  • blackwolf7
    blackwolf7
    ✭✭✭
    Are you seriously bitching about character zoom while most people cant even play the game? Also, if you try to read, zenimax already acknowledged this and is already fixing it
  • yamachanskb14_ESO
    yamachanskb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Why bother responding if you can't be intelligible about it? I'm not complaining about anything, and if you could actually read, I'm just making a suggestion for Zenimax to allow us to reconfigure our character design at some point, given how buggy it's been at launch. I already said it wasn't a game-breaking issue and just something that would be great from a service standpoint, yet you're in here being petty and hostile for absolutely no reason and trying to contextualize my topic in a disingenuous and ignorant manner.

Stop it. There's nothing in the tone of my opening message to warrant that kind of response from you. Just because you or others have had a shaky launch experience doesn't give you the right to come spread your bitterness to as many people as possible.

I swear, some people just aren't satisfied unless others are as miserable as they are.
  • LadyBravora
    LadyBravora
    ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm not sure weather to put the time in to level or not.

I'm in this horrible limbo, from having been SURE I selected a much shorter character, only to find she was the same height as everyone else, and now doubting the fact that I made her as short as possible.

It's very hard, especially since I don't know whether to go forward with leveling and just deal with the shortness, or try and wait for support to get back to me with a definite yes or no to character alteration after launch.

There are alot of people requesting it, so it's possible.